PDA

View Full Version : Long Death Monk Treasure

Plaguescarred
2016-09-05, 05:00 AM
One of my player plays an elf long death monk who couldn't care less about treasure. I'm looking for treasure alternatives for him instead of physical magic items reward. Boons are an obvious choice here introduced in the form of mastered techniques. Do you have any suggestions?

Kane0
2016-09-05, 05:53 AM
A trinket important to his background or the silent lord would be appropriate.

Boons are also good ideas, as is special training or a mystical awakening. These would be inherent benefits but thats right up the monk's alley

What are the other party members looking at for items? What level are they at? How much do you want to hand out?

Plaguescarred
2016-09-05, 07:10 AM
The party is Level 3 and is composed of a elf monk, half-elf warlock, half-elf paladin and human rogue. They got a few magic items so far and every time the monk said he's not really interested in items being a monk. I'd like to devise boons tailored to his monk i guess but not sure what.

RickAllison
2016-09-05, 11:03 AM
Learning a skill or gaining Expertise in a tool with a letter of recommendation from a master of the art could be a fun way to reward them without physical items. The monk either gets a new skill, or he is trained and has the signature indicating his quality as a master chef/smith/weaver of the realm!

Plaguescarred
2016-09-05, 11:54 AM
Learning a skill or gaining Expertise in a tool with a letter of recommendation from a master of the art could be a fun way to reward them without physical items. The monk either gets a new skill, or he is trained and has the signature indicating his quality as a master chef/smith/weaver of the realm!I really like this idea but it feel s a bit lackluster in comparison to other magic items so i must find a way to beef it up. The training could give proficiency in a skill, saving throw and something else i don't know?

Temperjoke
2016-09-05, 11:59 AM
I'd recommend talking to the player OOCly about the sort of things that would motivate his character. Part of the appeal to magic items is that they effectively make the players more powerful without needing to improve stats. Perhaps his character would prefer a more direct improvement, such as slight increases to his stats outside the usual score improvement points?

Specter
2016-09-05, 12:36 PM
The easiest thing to do is increase the player's DC on his ki-related abilities or his Hour of Reaping (I'd suggest +2).
The a-bit-harder thing is to include in the adventure a spirit or other potent entity of a long-dead monk (or warrior), deeming the character worthy, and granting him a blessing similar to Cloak of Protection or Stone of Good Luck.

Plaguescarred
2016-09-05, 01:02 PM
Thanks i like mastering that would grant the benefit of a cloak of protection or stone of good luck good suggestions !

Maxilian
2016-09-06, 08:58 AM
I really like this idea but it feel s a bit lackluster in comparison to other magic items so i must find a way to beef it up. The training could give proficiency in a skill, saving throw and something else i don't know?

Why not give him the option to Master a Technique that basically gives him the ability of a Magic Item (So... the same as having the magic item, but with the extra that you don't actually have one on)

Note: Have in mind, that doing it this way he is not going to use the attunement option, so he could basically get more Magic Items on than other people, so just have that in mind when adding Magic Items to the game (Well it seens he doesn't care about loot, but it could still be quite nice)

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 09:39 AM
How about giving him some necromancy spells known and the ability to cast them using Ki? Actually looking at the list only animate dead would be useful for a monk and running that of a short rest might be risky. Animate dead one per day for 4 Ki as a bonus ability might be ok though?

Waffle_Iron
2016-09-06, 10:17 AM
Note: Have in mind, that doing it this way he is not going to use the attunement option...

Unless the technique is so advanced that it requires "A focusing of energies and willpower", i.e., the boon requires attunement.

RulesJD
2016-09-06, 10:28 AM
For what it's worth you can remind him that the damage die of Monk weapons (Daggers, Short Swords, Quarterstaves, etc) automatically increase as his Monk unarmed strike damage die increases.

Also, there is a magic items in Horde of the Dragon Queen that you might want to check out. It's a set of claws that add +1 to-hit/damage to any unarmed strike.

Plaguescarred
2016-09-06, 11:30 AM
For what it's worth you can remind him that the damage die of Monk weapons (Daggers, Short Swords, Quarterstaves, etc) automatically increase as his Monk unarmed strike damage die increases.

Also, there is a magic items in Horde of the Dragon Queen that you might want to check out. It's a set of claws that add +1 to-hit/damage to any unarmed strike.THanks will give it a look

Plaguescarred
2016-09-06, 11:32 AM
Why not give him the option to Master a Technique that basically gives him the ability of a Magic Item (So... the same as having the magic item, but with the extra that you don't actually have one on)

Note: Have in mind, that doing it this way he is not going to use the attunement option, so he could basically get more Magic Items on than other people, so just have that in mind when adding Magic Items to the game (Well it seens he doesn't care about loot, but it could still be quite nice)I'd prefer not to let him choose desired magic items since others don't and i want to be fair with everyone. I prefer to decide which magic items goes into my campaign :)

Shining Wrath
2016-09-06, 11:33 AM
Along with the guardian spirits you could give him:

Additional things he can spend his Ki on. Work with the player, invent things to spend Ki on that are roughly equal in power to "one additional attack" or "Dodge" or "Dash". "Hide" comes to mind - burn Ki point, fade into shadows.
An animal companion. Essentially, give him a familiar refluffed to be Monkish.

Plaguescarred
2016-09-06, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the sugegstions i don't know if he'd want an animal companion to be honest