PDA

View Full Version : Tech Help Which 3d printing slicer software has [...] infill? [Answered]

gomipile
2016-09-05, 05:58 AM
I'm looking for a 3d slicer which has tetrahedral infill.

The reason I'm looking for this is that I want a close-to-isotropic infill pattern whose 2d slices consist of long straight lines. That way it has both (close to) isotropic mechanical properties and fast printing(when compared to hexagonal, etc. infill patterns.)

About an hour and a half of googling and reading posts, articles, and product pages has left me empty handed, so this is one of the places I'm asking for further help.

gomipile
2016-09-05, 12:23 PM
It looks like a tilted cubic infill structure does more or less what I wanted, while being faster to print than what I thought I was asking for. Type A Machines' fork of Cura has this, apparently, along with the ability to specify the dimensions of the infill.

Alent
2016-09-05, 02:00 PM
It looks like a tilted cubic infill structure does more or less what I wanted, while being faster to print than what I thought I was asking for. Type A Machines' fork of Cura has this, apparently, along with the ability to specify the dimensions of the infill.

While this doesn't seem to directly apply to what you're doing, it might benefit someone else: Cura can be hooked up to 3D printers it doesn't support by using a RasPi with the OctoPrint server software as a middleman. I don't have much hands on experience with this yet, tho'. (I have a RasPi set up, but I lost my fume-room to home remodeling projects, and won't get to try it again until I get it back.)

gomipile
2016-09-05, 04:39 PM
While this doesn't seem to directly apply to what you're doing, it might benefit someone else: Cura can be hooked up to 3D printers it doesn't support by using a RasPi with the OctoPrint server software as a middleman. I don't have much hands on experience with this yet, tho'. (I have a RasPi set up, but I lost my fume-room to home remodeling projects, and won't get to try it again until I get it back.)

I've heard good things about OctoPrint regarding its capability to remotely monitor printing via webcam and cancel a print if it goes wrong.