PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What do you guys think of Flameskull?

Pinjata
2016-09-05, 06:39 AM
Flameskull is an interesting tool to be used by wizards. It is undead, can basically regenerate every time if destroyed and has one lvl 3, two lvl 2 and three lvl 1 spell slots. Also one cantrip (at will). With that said I find spells, picked for flameskull a bit odd.

Say you are a powerful (a tad evil-sih) wizard and you set up for yourself a few of these. (and let's say all must have same picked spells. And that it is even possible to pick spells for them and not just get them as-is from MM).

Flameskull's lvl 3 spell is fireball. Cool stuff, but - do you really want fireballs popping off in your dungeon? There are scrolls and books and barrels of ... stuff. Stuff you do not want blasted. Lvl 2 gets blur and flaming sphere, while level 1 gets magic missiles (very nice, very "clean" way to do dmg) and shield.

So, my question is: If you wanted to create most powerful yet not-blasting-all-my-stuff Flameskull - what sort of spells would you pick for it?

thanks

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-05, 07:01 AM
So, my question is: If you wanted to create most powerful yet not-blasting-all-my-stuff Flameskull - what sort of spells would you pick for it?

thanks

The problem here is that all of the 3rd level, damage-dealing wizard spells are messy. Lightning Bolt, Erupting Earth, Tidal Wave, Flame Arrows... even Stinking Cloud could cause problems for your other minions.

The best thing to do would be to have the flameskulls providing buffing and support. Dispel your enemies' spells, Haste on you, etc. Then you can apply the Fireballs with some discretion.

Alternatively, you could set up kill zones and trap rooms where your flameskulls could act with impunity.

JellyPooga
2016-09-05, 07:24 AM
Level 3
Fear seems appropriate for this slot. I don't think buffs or counters really fits the theme of the Flameskull, but Fear...that fits nicely with the whole screaming-skull-flying-at-you-firing-magic-death-rays-from-its-eyes schtick.

Level 2
Scorching Ray is pretty much a must; it wouldn't be much of a Flameskull without at least one spell of firey doom and Scorching Ray is at least targeted, rather than AoE

My other pick would probably go on something like Arcane Lock, to prevent enemies from running into areas you don't want them going or from fleeing the inevitable death they face.

Level 1
Chromatic Orb is a targeted spell (less collateral damage) with variable damage type and nice(ish) damage for a 1st level spell.

Shield for protection

Then, if you wanted a 3rd spell known or to forgo one of the others, I'd go for something like Silent Image (to disguise doors and traps), Detect Magic (to see if intruders are more dangerous than they might appear) or Tasha's Hideous Laughter (because laughing skulls are terrifying and if your mate suddenly started cackling like one, it'd put the willies up me).

Cantrips
As handy (ba-dum tsh!) as Mage Hand is, surely this should be Firebolt?

Gastronomie
2016-09-05, 07:25 AM
Well, technically it says " a flameskull serves its creator by protecting a hidden treasure hoard, a secret chamber, or a specific individual. A flameskull carries out the directives given to it when it was created, and it interprets those commands to the letter. A flameskull's master must craft its instructions with care to ensure that the creature carries out its tasks properly."

So, a Flameskull is created only if the master thinks it's a good idea to place him in this "hidden treasure hoard" or "secret chamber", or if he instructs it to not damage the "specific individual".

Spells that don't deal much damage generally have short durations (for instance, Hold Person has a duration of only one minute). This means it's not a good idea to give these spells to Flameskulls, since you wanna keep the enemies away from what you wanna protect forever, and the easiest way to do that is to kill them.

Pinjata
2016-09-05, 08:29 AM
How about:

Cantrip Firebolt
lvl 1 Mage Armor(no concentration), Magic missile, Whatever
lvl 2 Scorching ray, Whatever
lvl 3 Slow

If time to prepare: Mage Armor, them Slow, Scorching ray, Scorching ray, Magic missile, Magic missile
If not: Slow, Scorching ray, Scorching ray, Scorching ray, Magic missile, Magic missile

this looks badass & harmless to most of furniture and stuff.

gfishfunk
2016-09-05, 08:52 AM
Why not Vampiric Touch as a third level spell? Makes a lot of sense for undead.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-05, 09:11 AM
Why not Vampiric Touch as a third level spell? Makes a lot of sense for undead.

Flameskulls don't have hands. 'Vampiric Headbutt' just doesn't have the same ring to it... :smalltongue:

JellyPooga
2016-09-05, 09:25 AM
Flameskulls don't have hands. 'Vampiric Headbutt' just doesn't have the same ring to it... :smalltongue:

Ah, but Vampiric Bite is all sorts of thematic, especially if the skull you use is somethong toothy, like a Gnoll...

EvilAnagram
2016-09-05, 09:39 AM
The only time I ever used a flameskull my players made friends with it before I could use any spells. It was their favorite part of the dungeon. Everybody loves Ol' Bonesy.

Degwerks
2016-09-05, 11:47 AM
The inky time I ever used a flameskull my players made friends with it before I could use any spells. It was their favorite part of the dungeon. Everybody loves Ol' Bonesy.

I've thought hard about trying to get one and name him Bob. I'd have him guard the inside of my Portable Hole. Maybe let him come out at night.

Slipperychicken
2016-09-06, 12:57 AM
Flameskull's lvl 3 spell is fireball. Cool stuff, but - do you really want fireballs popping off in your dungeon? There are scrolls and books and barrels of ... stuff. Stuff you do not want blasted. Lvl 2 gets blur and flaming sphere, while level 1 gets magic missiles (very nice, very "clean" way to do dmg) and shield.

Clear the entrance or an important intersection, stick it in a position from which it may cast spells (ideally somewhere it has 3/4 cover and can escape), and have it roast anyone who enters without presenting a special passkey-type item designated by you. This is basic dungeoneering.

"Clean" is overrated, and easily surpassed by "not getting stabbed by adventurers". Just get a skeleton with a spatula to scrape the adventurers off the wall once the flameskull has done its work. Or have a minion spread olive oil in that part of the dungeon, so the adventurers' remains don't stick as badly after the fireball gets them.

JellyPooga
2016-09-06, 07:00 AM
So here's a couple of questions about Flameskulls;

- Given that Flameskulls retain the full spellcasting ability they had in life and that they're made from dead Wizard skulls, do they have or indeed require a spellbook? Further to this, if they do have/require a spellbook, can they change their spells prepared? A Flameskull charged with defending a treasure chamber (or whatever) that has the ability to cast Glyph of Warding could quite happily forgo the cackling, direct assault and just wait for some hapless fool to wander into months, years or even decades worth of Exploding Runes in the entrance chamber while it chills out in the back. This feels like much more of an option if Glyph isn't the Flameskulls only 3rd level spell available.

- Given that Flameskulls are former Wizards and that Wizards can make Flameskulls, are they themselves capable of creating more Flameskulls? Further to this, assuming Flameskulls can make more Flameskulls, can you bind a Flameskull you've made to bind any Flameskulls it makes to you and not itself?

- When a Flameskulls master dies, it becomes autonomous; what do free Flameskulls do with all the spare time they have once liberated? They have an eternity, assuming no pesky adventurers sprinkle his shattered remains with holy water, Dispel Magic or Remove Curse.

- Given that Flameskulls retain a shadow of the memories of their former lives, do Flameskulls made from Good or Neutral Wizards revert to their former alignment when liberated from their creator or are they forever corrupted by the curse of undeath? If the latter, would the conflict between their living memory and their undead existence allow a Good/Neutral Flameskull to encourage or give hints to adventurers to help destroy them for good and end their curse?

- Assuming a liberated, autonomous Flameskull has decided not to give up their eternal existence, what contingencies could it take to prevent that existence from being curtailed by the aforementioned pesky adventurers? Liches get to hide their phylactery in all sorts of exotic places, but Flameskulls are reliant on no-one messing with their remains for an hour.

- What spells might be interesting or thematically appropriate for a more powerful Flameskull capable of casting higher level spells?

Just some food for thought...

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 08:32 AM
So here's a couple of questions about Flameskulls;

- Given that Flameskulls retain the full spellcasting ability they had in life and that they're made from dead Wizard skulls, do they have or indeed require a spellbook? Further to this, if they do have/require a spellbook, can they change their spells prepared? A Flameskull charged with defending a treasure chamber (or whatever) that has the ability to cast Glyph of Warding could quite happily forgo the cackling, direct assault and just wait for some hapless fool to wander into months, years or even decades worth of Exploding Runes in the entrance chamber while it chills out in the back. This feels like much more of an option if Glyph isn't the Flameskulls only 3rd level spell available.

Yeah... not needing material components breaks this spell more than a little.

On the other hand I think they need a spellbook. The mage hand cantrip is obviously to turn the pages.:smalltongue:

- Given that Flameskulls are former Wizards and that Wizards can make Flameskulls, are they themselves capable of creating more Flameskulls? Further to this, assuming Flameskulls can make more Flameskulls, can you bind a Flameskull you've made to bind any Flameskulls it makes to you and not itself?

They were wizards, now they cast spells like wizards... but maybe are not wizards. In a campaign setting not overun by flameskulls I am going to guess they can't do this.

- When a Flameskulls master dies, it becomes autonomous; what do free Flameskulls do with all the spare time they have once liberated? They have an eternity, assuming no pesky adventurers sprinkle his shattered remains with holy water, Dispel Magic or Remove Curse.

Charades. Not having any body just adds an extra level to the challenge.

- Given that Flameskulls retain a shadow of the memories of their former lives, do Flameskulls made from Good or Neutral Wizards revert to their former alignment when liberated from their creator or are they forever corrupted by the curse of undeath? If the latter, would the conflict between their living memory and their undead existence allow a Good/Neutral Flameskull to encourage or give hints to adventurers to help destroy them for good and end their curse?

I like the idea of good flameskulls. I like the idea of evil flameskulls pretending to be good flameskulls. Whether they would want to be destroyed is a tough question. Possibly in a game interested in such things it could provide a bit of a split - a good flameskull who has committed evil acts before its creator's death wants to keep existing comes up against good aligned clerics of a god who consider the undead to be an abomination that should be destroyed.

- Assuming a liberated, autonomous Flameskull has decided not to give up their eternal existence, what contingencies could it take to prevent that existence from being curtailed by the aforementioned pesky adventurers? Liches get to hide their phylactery in all sorts of exotic places, but Flameskulls are reliant on no-one messing with their remains for an hour.

Well this one might be tricky. Maybe cover the floors of all of the rooms in their home with bones/bone dust to it is hard to work out where to cast the spell? Fight in rivers so the pieces will be washed away from their enemies? Fight in furnaces so their remains can go up in smoke (are they immune to fire after death?).

- What spells might be interesting or thematically appropriate for a more powerful Flameskull capable of casting higher level spells?

Just some food for thought...

I like the idea of these as more general themed casters - Ice skulls, glittering skulls (illusions, prismatic spells etc.) and so on.

I also like the idea of making them more general than wizards. An ex bard's head that keeps singing along would please me.

As to raising the level... firewall seems good if obvious. Maybe dimension door - the idea that they can ambush and escape could make them a fun enemy. Freedom of movement - hep preserve the advantage of flying. Fabricate - even if the glyphs won't work they can surround themselves with traps. Animate objects can turn a solo encounter into something more normal, could be fun to add. Immolation is thematic but less of a good spell - I would include it anyway. Contingency could be good - firstly it lets you have a higher level caster but without putting the PCs at too much risk from bust damage. Secondly that kind of preparation seems in keeping with the kind of ageless being that would fill their lair with glyphs and traps. Also create undead because carying things in your teeth is just so demeaning and you can only have one mage hand.

Shining Wrath
2016-09-06, 08:47 AM
One less - collateral - damage version would be to give it Scorching Ray which it casts with its 3rd level spell slot. I like whoever suggested it should have Firebolt as a cantrip.

As for me, I wonder if Draconic Sorcerers don't create their own versions of Flameskulls, but tailored to their particular element. There's an Acidskull (Melf's Acid Arrow replaces Scorching Ray), an Iceskull with Cone of Cold, and so on.

"A skull with sparks arcing across its eye sockets flies toward you, screaming threats. Roll initiative."

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 09:02 AM
I'm liking this thread a lot. If I was a Flameskull and just received my "free will" again, I would first start taking care of my Mage Hand only problem. Having just the one cantrip and no real hands would make me a very grumpy and evil skull.

I would start trying to gain more power immediately. Find Familiar would be a top of the list spell for me to try and learn. Getting an imp or quasit would really make me a happy little skull. Then i'd create a few Crawling Claws to help me out. A few skeletons or zombie minions couldn't hurt either.

Spells like prestidigitation & thaumaturgy are really useful to a no hands creature like Flameskull.

I most certainly try to devise a way to chip of a piece of my skull, to use as a ghetto phylactery of some kind. Hide it with a spare spellbook and a Crawling Hand somewhere.

Hell I might even try to morph into a version of a demilich if possible.

JellyPooga
2016-09-06, 11:29 AM
One less - collateral - damage version would be to give it Scorching Ray which it casts with its 3rd level spell slot. I like whoever suggested it should have Firebolt as a cantrip.

It already has eye rays of doom that deal 3d6 fire damage, that it can use twice per round, which sort of creates redundancy for the likes of Scorching Ray and Firebolt. Both spells have greater range than its eye rays though, so perhaps there's room for them...

Joe the Rat
2016-09-06, 11:39 AM
I like the idea of these as more general themed casters - Ice skulls, glittering skulls (illusions, prismatic spells etc.) and so on.The Most Excellent Prismatic Skull.
Nothing says "exceedingly dangerous villain" like having a fabulous guardian made from the skull of a 13th+ level wizard.

Regarding books: I rather assumed the spells a flameskull has are what was prepared at the time of his or her demise. Does it say "cast as wizard" or "Prepare and cast as wizard?"

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 11:55 AM
The Most Excellent Prismatic Skull.
Nothing says "exceedingly dangerous villain" like having a fabulous guardian made from the skull of a 13th+ level wizard.

Regarding books: I rather assumed the spells a flameskull has are what was prepared at the time of his or her demise. Does it say "cast as wizard" or "Prepare and cast as wizard?"

Right - next adventures my PCs are going to raid the Tomb of Count Varastrav the Fabulous; slayer of millions, despoiler of temples and wearer of truly fashionable footwear.

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-06, 12:11 PM
This wouldn't likely be optimized but it would be hilarious to see:

Cantrip - Chill Touch
1st level - Color Spray, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Grease
2nd level - Flaming Sphere, Enlarge / Reduce
3rd level - Animate Dead

This would be a skull that feels it is entitled to be treated as royalty so it uses Animate Dead to create a zombie or skeleton to carry it around by replacing it's head with the flameskull. The body, always referred to as Jeeves or Charles, serves it's bodily needs and in combat the skull enlarges the body then uses 1st level spells to disable enemies while Jeeves/Charles beats down on them. Chill Touch then on the one Jeeves/Charles targets and if the body gets destroyed the skull uses Flaming Sphere.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-06, 01:33 PM
The Most Excellent Prismatic Skull.

I think it might be worth it to have a rainbow of spells. Acid Arrow, Ice Knife, Scorching Ray, Lightning Bolt.

And of course, fourth level Color Spray!

Kane0
2016-09-06, 04:03 PM
Intriguing...
I may just have to work a flameskull or two into my next game.

JellyPooga
2016-09-06, 04:11 PM
Intriguing...
I may just have to work a flameskull or two into my next game.

I reckon put three or four in and when the party encounter them, have them circle around the Wizard chanting "One of Us! One of Us! One of Us!". Then, have one or more of them prepare Bestow Curse in its 3rd level slot and use it on the Wizard to curse him with a stiff and/or itchy neck and a raging fever...[/howtomakeaplayersquirm]

Dr. Cliché
2016-09-06, 04:11 PM
This wouldn't likely be optimized but it would be hilarious to see:

Cantrip - Chill Touch
1st level - Color Spray, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Grease
2nd level - Flaming Sphere, Enlarge / Reduce
3rd level - Animate Dead

This would be a skull that feels it is entitled to be treated as royalty so it uses Animate Dead to create a zombie or skeleton to carry it around by replacing it's head with the flameskull. The body, always referred to as Jeeves or Charles, serves it's bodily needs and in combat the skull enlarges the body then uses 1st level spells to disable enemies while Jeeves/Charles beats down on them. Chill Touch then on the one Jeeves/Charles targets and if the body gets destroyed the skull uses Flaming Sphere.

Would you object to me stealing this?

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-06, 04:25 PM
Would you object to me stealing this?

Not at all. If you use it please let me know how it went, would love to hear how it was received.

MaxWilson
2016-09-06, 06:29 PM
I've thought hard about trying to get one and name him Bob. I'd have him guard the inside of my Portable Hole. Maybe let him come out at night.

I see what you did there.

Just don't forget the trashy romance novels.

Kane0
2016-09-07, 02:08 AM
I reckon put three or four in and when the party encounter them, have them circle around the Wizard chanting "One of Us! One of Us! One of Us!". Then, have one or more of them prepare Bestow Curse in its 3rd level slot and use it on the Wizard to curse him with a stiff and/or itchy neck and a raging fever...[/howtomakeaplayersquirm]

Not bad, I was thinking a pair of them (Two different flavors of course, something like an evoker and necromancer duo) that give subtle hints to kill their master so they can be free. If they survive and gain their freedom they take to assuming control of a headless skeleton to circumvent their physical setbacks and either join the party for a short time or disappear in order to start their own malicious plans, depending on how they were recieved by the party.

Also one of them must have a gem they use as an eye/monocle, which they constantly bicker over.

Dr. Cliché
2016-09-07, 04:29 AM
Not at all. If you use it please let me know how it went, would love to hear how it was received.

Sure, I'd be happy to. :smallsmile:

JellyPooga
2016-09-07, 05:50 AM
Not bad, I was thinking a pair of them (Two different flavors of course, something like an evoker and necromancer duo) that give subtle hints to kill their master so they can be free. If they survive and gain their freedom they take to assuming control of a headless skeleton to circumvent their physical setbacks and either join the party for a short time or disappear in order to start their own malicious plans, depending on how they were recieved by the party.

Also one of them must have a gem they use as an eye/monocle, which they constantly bicker over.

Hah! I like the idea of a pair of bickering flameskulls.

I'd have them be carried by a (whole) skeleton, rather then replace the head(s) of one (or two). Make their laziness at not wanting to fly or actually do anything a trait.

Skull 1: "I'd blast you to shards if it weren't for the fact I'd have to come over there. Bones! Set me down on that chair over there; the cushion looks comfy. Not as comfy as the chairs we had when I were a lad, of course; things were better back then."
Skull 2: "Oh give over you old coot, you don't remember your youth any more than I do. And stop ordering Bones around like he's yours to command. I'm getting fed up of using my nigh unlimited arcane power so you can find somewhere soft to sit. Remember that time we...[devolves into long-winded and very boring story]"

Make them brothers, maybe (either familial or in the "of an order or organisation" sense) with long standing, circular arguments they constantly devolve into; make the players want to kill them because they're annoying and a hindrance, rather than because they're evil...I like it!

Shining Wrath
2016-09-07, 06:33 AM
Hah! I like the idea of a pair of bickering flameskulls.

I'd have them be carried by a (whole) skeleton, rather then replace the head(s) of one (or two). Make their laziness at not wanting to fly or actually do anything a trait.

Skull 1: "I'd blast you to shards if it weren't for the fact I'd have to come over there. Bones! Set me down on that chair over there; the cushion looks comfy. Not as comfy as the chairs we had when I were a lad, of course; things were better back then."
Skull 2: "Oh give over you old coot, you don't remember your youth any more than I do. And stop ordering Bones around like he's yours to command. I'm getting fed up of using my nigh unlimited arcane power so you can find somewhere soft to sit. Remember that time we...[devolves into long-winded and very boring story]"

Make them brothers, maybe (either familial or in the "of an order or organisation" sense) with long standing, circular arguments they constantly devolve into; make the players want to kill them because they're annoying and a hindrance, rather than because they're evil...I like it!

I've wanted to have gargoyles doing the Statler and Waldorf bit as they watch the PCs battle.

Degwerks
2016-09-07, 06:39 AM
I've wanted to have gargoyles doing the Statler and Waldorf bit as they watch the PCs battle.

That's freaking awesome!

JellyPooga
2016-09-07, 10:50 AM
So what with Flameskulls being A) a skull on fire, B) an evil undead, C) a guardian type creature and D) really rather intelligent (like, super smart by normal standards; more than smart enough to be a minor boss, lieutenant or overseer, in fact), what sort of scenarios do you, or could you, put them in? We've discussed some vagaries, but really no details, like where they really fit into a dungeon ecology, what sort of traps or puzzles they could be used in and so forth.

Here's some ideas that are knocking around my head, but hit me with what you've got!

- The Two Doors Puzzle
Everyone knows this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html). It's the "one of us always lies and the other tells the truth, one door to certain doom" puzzle. Having the truth/lie tellers be a flaming undead skull is just an interesting and somehow appropriate twist. A character familiar with Flameskulls (Religion check?) would know that a Flameskull can be bound to tell only truth or lies, which lends a certain credulity to this otherwise cliche'd scenario. That the skulls are highly intelligent (and evil) allows you to twist meanings and mislead the players more than, perhaps, you would otherwise. Especially if you tailor their spell lists for deception (e.g. any/all from the following list: Charm Person, Illusory Script, Silent Image, Detect Thoughts, Magic Mouth, Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, Major Image, Nondetection). Bonus points for making one or both of the Skulls snarky and/or mischievous (e.g. insulting the PC's for not being able to work it out quicker, or creating illusions of false doors for the PCs to walk into "Wile E Coyote style"...extra bonus points if the illusions say "ACME" on them or rockets/explosives are involved).

- The Familiar
Flameskulls can be bound to protect a person too. Setting one or more up as a flying battery of defensive buffs and counters would be creepy, cool and effective. The BBEG having a bunch of these flying around his lair using the likes of Major Image to create duplicates of the BBEG, followed by some attack spells that appear to originate from the illusion would make a confusing but memorable encounter. Bonus points if all the Skulls rise at once from some kind of altar or sconce at the BBEGs bidding. Extra Bonus points if the BBEG is using them as torches to light his lair.

- The Sub-Dungeon Boss
They're smart, indestructible and do exactly what they're told. A perfect lieutenant to keep an eye on "the project" while the Big Boss is away on business or holiday. Have the PC's expect the final show-down with the BBEG, but when it comes to crunch time throw a Flameskull or two their way instead. A good way to set up the BBEG as being more powerful than the PCs without having to dumb down an encounter with him; just have him not be there. You could even have him present when the PC's turn up, only to escape by teleportation, leaving one or more of these suckers behind to deal with them. Unless the PCs realise or know that Flameskulls regenerate, the BBEG doesn't even lose that many resources, 'cos his Skull can just reform an hour later and keep working (e.g. raising any dead minions as undead, re-setting all the traps, etc.), once the PCs are gone.

- The MacGuffin Keeper
Who said that Flameskulls can't carry anything? Placing a small (fireproof) MacGuffin, like a key or gemstone inside a Flameskull would be a good way to both defend and hide it. If the PC's kill it, they'll only find the MacGuffin if they actively pick up the "dead" skull and give it a rattle. Otherwise, an hour later, Skullzy just picks himself up and flies off somewhere safer. Also an option is to build Skullzy a little out-of-reach nook for him to hide in with his MacGuffin. The PCs might be able to kill him at range, but do they have the tools to get to the nook that Skullzy just flies up to? I don't recommend this one for anything plot critical unless your players enjoy "hardcore-mode".

- The Fake-Knight
Guess what else looks like a suit of armour with a flaming skull head? That's right, your favourite undead fallen Paladin; the Death Knight! Let the legends of these dread figures of terror and betrayal do the work for you by installing a Flameskull into a suit of Animated Armour and watch as adventurers flee in terror from your not-quite-a-Death-Knight.

Degwerks
2016-09-09, 06:49 AM
Good job on those ideas Jelly!

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 08:14 AM
What about a cleric flameskull that's kept alive by divine power of a death god. Perhaps the god needs a holy text to be kept safe, or needs some guards to protect their high preist? Just change the wizard spells with cleric spells and have the casting time be based off wisdom.

Cantrips
Thaumatugry,

Level 1
Cure wounds, inflict wounds

Level 2
Spirtual weapon, hold person

Level 3
Animate dead

JellyPooga
2016-09-09, 08:21 AM
Good job on those ideas Jelly!
Thanks!

What about a cleric flameskull that's kept alive by divine power of a death god. Perhaps the god needs a holy text to be kept safe, or needs some guards to protect their high preist? Just change the wizard spells with cleric spells and have the casting time be based off wisdom.

Cantrips
Thaumatugry,

Level 1
Cure wounds, inflict wounds

Level 2
Spirtual weapon, hold person

Level 3
Animate dead

I see no reason why not. I think Spirit Guardians might be a thematically appropriate alternative to Animate Dead and I think I'd rather see Bane in place of Cure Wounds, but whatever load-out suits your purpose or preference.

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 08:38 AM
Thanks!

I see no reason why not. I think Spirit Guardians might be a thematically appropriate alternative to Animate Dead and I think I'd rather see Bane in place of Cure Wounds, but whatever load-out suits your purpose or preference.

Perhaps a flame-skull knows different spells depending on its role, a buffing flameskull is focused on healing and support, while a damage flameskull has spells like inflict wounds

Joe the Rat
2016-09-09, 08:44 AM
Thanks!

My players lost their sh...tuff the first time I dropped spirit guardians on them (describing it as a blood-colored field of spectral reapers probably had something to do with that). Having that dome of death originate from a floating skull cloaked in unholy fire, possibly sitting atop a suit of (animated) blackened armor is a powerful visual.

Degwerks
2016-09-09, 09:49 AM
Or using a skull from a Bard! Flame Skull with Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, Heat Metal, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hypnotic Pattern, Blindness.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-09, 10:39 AM
Or using a skull from a Bard! Flame Skull with Vicious Mockery, Dissonant Whispers, Heat Metal, Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Hypnotic Pattern, Blindness.
Ooh! A Charming Skull! One that knows Suggestion, Charm Person, Friends, Hypnotic Pattern, Compulsion, etc.

He always introduces himself by saying, "Enchanted to meet you."

gfishfunk
2016-09-09, 10:45 AM
Ooh! A Charming Skull! One that knows Suggestion, Charm Person, Friends, Hypnotic Pattern, Compulsion, etc.

He always introduces himself by saying, "Enchanted to meet you."

Akk! Flaming Clown Skull. Has a fake red nose and clown make-up on its skull-face. Scary-Bardy.

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 11:52 AM
A Druid skull, that has vines growing out of it

JellyPooga
2016-09-09, 12:05 PM
Akk! Flaming Clown Skull. Has a fake red nose and clown make-up on its skull-face. Scary-Bardy.

That. Is. Terrifying. :smalleek:

Degwerks
2016-09-09, 12:34 PM
My current warlock/bard has an evil book that has rituals for becoming a lich & death knight and other evil things. No reason why Flameskull wouldn't be explained in there either. Now I just have to decide if the risk of learning how to make one is worth the 10% chance a good aligned deity sends their Empyrean after my book.

JAL_1138
2016-09-09, 08:50 PM
Responding purely to the title, not the content of the first post, "What do you think of Flameskull?":

As a DM: Muahahahahaha

As a player: Oh s#!%, oh s#!%, oh s#!%, FIREBALL BAD AND IT DOESN'T STAY DEAD

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 09:54 PM
My current warlock/bard has an evil book that has rituals for becoming a lich & death knight and other evil things. No reason why Flameskull wouldn't be explained in there either. Now I just have to decide if the risk of learning how to make one is worth the 10% chance a good aligned deity sends their Empyrean after my book.

What is your character's level and is the party willing to help you clean up the potential mess?

EvilAnagram
2016-09-09, 09:58 PM
What is your character's level and is the party willing to help you clean up the potential mess?

What does he care? Either the mess will burn away quite nicely, or he'll be too dead to notice.

MeeposFire
2016-09-09, 10:08 PM

A flying skull that insults his enemies.

HE IS MORTE!!!

http://img.gfx.no/549/549988/desslock_m.jpg

Degwerks
2016-09-10, 11:47 AM

I'm at 11th lvl. I'd be completely destroyed by an Empyrean. Our party would last a few rounds maybe. I'd run at first sight or sound of one.

MaxWilson
2016-09-10, 02:14 PM
- The Two Doors Puzzle
Everyone knows this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0327.html). It's the "one of us always lies and the other tells the truth, one door to certain doom" puzzle. Having the truth/lie tellers be a flaming undead skull is just an interesting and somehow appropriate twist. A character familiar with Flameskulls (Religion check?) would know that a Flameskull can be bound to tell only truth or lies, which lends a certain credulity to this otherwise cliche'd scenario. That the skulls are highly intelligent (and evil) allows you to twist meanings and mislead the players more than, perhaps, you would otherwise. Especially if you tailor their spell lists for deception (e.g. any/all from the following list: Charm Person, Illusory Script, Silent Image, Detect Thoughts, Magic Mouth, Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, Major Image, Nondetection). Bonus points for making one or both of the Skulls snarky and/or mischievous (e.g. insulting the PC's for not being able to work it out quicker, or creating illusions of false doors for the PCs to walk into "Wile E Coyote style"...extra bonus points if the illusions say "ACME" on them or rockets/explosives are involved).

Note: you can do the Two Doors puzzle even if there's only one guardian. You don't need one who always tells the truth and one who always lies; it's sufficient to have one to either always tells the truth or always lies.

Sigreid
2016-09-10, 02:19 PM
Honestly, the first flameskull the party met is why my wizard started taking heads and books of his wizardly targets. He doesn't know how to make one yet, but it's on his list of things to figure out.