PDA

View Full Version : Magic Items at 20th level

Telesto
2016-09-05, 11:09 AM
What kind of magic item spread should PCs have at 20th level? At the moment I have a party of 4/5 (depending on if one of the players shows up). But at 20th they will consist of a Totem Barbarian, Storm Sorcerer, Moon Druid, and Undying Warlock and be going up against Cthulu. Currently I'm looking at giving them (through their levels over the next 4 adventures which will take them through 5th/10th/15th/20th level) the following

Barbarian: Ioun Stone (Protection), Bracers of Defense, Berserker Axe, Bronze Horn of Valhala, Jade Ring of Resistance, Rod of Lordly Might

Warlock: Cloak of the Manta Ray, Rod of the Pact Keeper, Boots of Levitation, Oathbow, Arrow of Eldritch Horror Slaying, Ioun Stone of Greater Absorbtion

Druid: Ring of Animal Influence, Bag of Beans, Stone of Good Luck, Wand of Secrets, Cloak of Arachnidia, Rod of Ressurection, Scarab of Protection

Sorcerer: Driftglobe, Pearl of Power, Cube of Force, Robe of the Archmagi, Staff of the Magi

Through 15th level they'll also have the DMPC Life Cleric, but between the adventures at levels 15 and 20 she'll be going off to commit mass suicide with all the other shamans/clerics/etc (one of my PCs has a huge thing for Warhammer 40k, it's depressingly intense, so I'm porting small aspects of it in for him)

fishyfishyfishy
2016-09-05, 01:03 PM
Page 38 of the DMG has some advice on this. This is what it has to say about 17th-20th level characters.

Low Magic:
20,000gp +1d10x250gp2 uncommon magic itemsnormal starting equipment
Standard:
20,000gp +1d10x250gp2 uncommon magic items1 rare magic itemnormal starting equipment
High Magic:
20,000gp +1d10x250gp3 uncommon magic items2 rare magic items1 very rare magic itemnormal starting equipment

Choose the one that best suits your campaign and allow the players to choose items, with your approval being required of course.

Telesto
2016-09-05, 01:23 PM
That, however, is for starting equipment if you start at high levels. Does the same hold true when people run through pregen adventures at higher levels?

Ketiara
2016-09-05, 02:06 PM
That, however, is for starting equipment if you start at high levels. Does the same hold true when people run through pregen adventures at higher levels?

Give them little by little, that way you know what to do to balance out your encounters to their new power.

Telesto
2016-09-05, 02:27 PM
There really isn't a little by little. It's going to be about 5 sessions total, each session sees a jump afterwards. Then we move on to another race

fishyfishyfishy
2016-09-05, 03:23 PM
There are so few guidelines on what to give for magic items because the system is supposed to be playable without them if need be so long as you have the right party make-up. Give them whatever you feel is appropriate for the challenges you will pit them up against and fits within the feel of the game. Maybe have them make a "magic item wish list" so you know what would be fun for them and pull some things off that.