PDA

View Full Version : King's Road IC

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-05, 06:58 PM
For years and years beyond count, past even the memory of the long lived elves, the King's road has lain dormant. The dwarves who kingdom it once crossed driven to the surface by their enemies long forgotten. It was but a curiosity to the humans and a distraction to elves. For an age is simply waited.

Now that wait is over. That which lies dormant under the mountain stirs. A new age begins.

In the city of Iseheld there is has been word put out for those who wish to seek fame and more importantly fortune should schedule a meeting with the Whitehaven representative Rodric Ironbeard in the merchant district. You are such men. The Whitehaven group as gained a noble title and with it the Eastern end of the King's road. They have announced their intent to reopen the King's road to trade, connecting the cities of Iseheld in the east and Shornfade in the west. This venture is as potentially proffitable as it is dangerous and it was with great surprise the first Whitehaven caravan made the journey crossing the expanse of 14 days of dark.

That was a month ago. Things have not gone smoothly. Over ten caravans have crossed the King's road in both directions. Three more attempted the trek and failed to make it to the other side.

That is where you come in. In specifically to a nice but rather simple adorned waiting room. It is much more the hall of a merchant than a noble, seeking comfort over luxury. Long comfortable benches run along both sides of the long room. The receptionist, a nice dwarven lady, sits at the far end behind a desk. She greets you pleasantly and bids you seat yourself.

"Representative Ironbeard is currently in a meeting running late. Please be seated, the rest of the prospective group should be along shortly. Once all have arrived I will let him know you are here."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-05, 07:29 PM
Patrick Club sit on the chair.

Linken
2016-09-06, 04:37 AM
Selkie, the gold-scaled Kobold, arrives second after the strange Drow man, almost slipping through the door unnoticed due to her tiny size. She'd heard about the King's Road and the huge history around it, but none of her family except, maybe, those who were 'Dragonwrought' had any knowledge whatsoever of what the King's Road was- normal Kobolds aren't renowned for their long lifespan. She'd also heard that there were a lot of shinies to be found if she takes this up. She wasn't interested in the fame, just the fortune! Maybe make friends with the other applicants, too! Who knows. She stares up at the Dwarf receptionist and, looking quite happy that she's managed to find the place and meet a few already-nice people, attempts to get onto the chair she was directed to.

It was a valiant effort, and she succeeds after a minute of trying. She sits rather weirdly, too, but hey, she's a Kobold, can't blame her, even if she HAS adapted to normaly society. Waving at Patrick momentarily with her clawed hand, she scans the room, green eyes flicking left and right in an attempt to check for cool stuff, and considers the woman's talk of this Ironbeard person. The kobold attempts to recall the name, anything associated with him, maybe how she can convince him to pay her a few extra shiny baubles and the like... sounds fun! Aside from that, she eagerly watches the door for the next person to come in. Maybe it'll be another person she knows? Course, she didn't know Patrick very well, but well enough!
Am happy into of beings here! Haelo, Pat-rick.

Take 10 on Spot, of course, for things shiny or otherwise (but especially shiny)
[roll0] Knowledge Local for knowing this 'Rodric Ironbeard'- what makes him tick, what's he like?

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-06, 07:33 AM
Patrick notices the small Kobold. He spoke to the small kobold. Patrick: "Hello. I guess you 'very heard about the King Road as well I assume? "

Linken
2016-09-06, 04:12 PM
Selkie quickly nods, looking quite excited as her eyes dart around. Yes!! Have heard lots of shinies and will be getting paid lots so am of goings to halp! You is here too? What will contribute? Have not seen doing many fighty things.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-06, 04:25 PM
Patrick: I don't know what's in store for us but I've a feeling that this may be a major and long adventure.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-07, 08:12 AM
The door burst open to reveal the great storm clouds congregating above; a rather surprising turn of events, as the skies were deep blue as the sea this morning. A heavily built figure clad in a black hood and soot-stained boots approached the receptionist with a sharp Scythe in hand. Her presence brought a sharp chill into the hearts of those present. Which caused some of the other applying mercenaries to up and run. However, not all ran off, thankfully, but Zadikka - the heir to the Grim Reaper himself, did not stop to consider the glass half full.

She let out a deep sigh, sat alone on the other side of the hall on what might be the softest bench she ever Sat on in her life, and raised off her cowl to reveal her pale, tusked face, and Crimson eyes. She mostly stared down, thinking about her troubles.
Zadikka hasn't noticed any of you yet, if the stuff we talked about in the recruitment thread still holds, then you will recognize Zadikka first, since she's not paying attention.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-07, 08:44 AM
Patrick notice the female half-orc in the black hood. He remain seated and of course a bit nervous of her presence.

Linken
2016-09-07, 09:01 AM
The Kobold watches the door swing open, and she tilts her head. Clothes seemed familiar... hey, wasn't it clear out, today? How weird! The stormclouds must have gathered very fast! Observing the would-be adventurers sprinting out, she just seems overall confused as to why they're running. She was positive she knew the figure from somewhere. Ow. Her chest hurts. Will fade in a moment, though! Least, that's what Selkie hoped. As soon as the figure pulls her hood off and reveals herself to be Zadikka, the little Kobold seems even more excited, eager to help the half-orc out in whatever way she could- seemed troubled! Maybe comforting words would help! Or just, in general, nice things!

Zaddy! Haelo! Is you well? Grinning widely and showing off her rather lethal-looking set of teeth, the Kobold immediately rushes over to her rather down-looking friend and climbs onto the bench next to her. If not into well, tells how can halp! Will try best any way can! Whai is here? Here to halp Whitehaven guild thingy? If so, maybe they could work on things together! That's her hope! Always wanted to see Zadikka fighting.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-07, 09:10 AM
Patrick was surprised to see the female Kobold was eager to help the female half-orc. He was still nervous to approach the female half-orc and remains to be seated.

Bayar
2016-09-07, 10:35 AM
Marra

A female dwarf dressed in a blue robe and a white headband walked into the room. With a "Good day" and a "Thank you", she takes a seat, grabs an ornate book from her backpack and starts perusing it while wondering about the sudden change of the sky.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-07, 10:42 AM
Patrick notice the female dwarf but he was less nervous to the female dwarf compared to the female half-orc. He remain to be seated.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-07, 10:56 AM
Zadikka perked up and smiled to run into Selkie, any distraction from her misery was a welcome one.
"Vy, Hello dere, Selki." she spoke softly with a heavy accent as he gave Selkie a warm embrace. "Da, as you know, I em havink trouble, um... Findink myself. So I vill try to clean de road for Viteheven, hopefully I can Umm... direct myself better."

Linken
2016-09-07, 11:14 AM
Deciding that to hint at Zaddy's magic, the Kobold speaks. After all, the clouds went all grey and sad, so that's at least a hint that's not from her. Yes! Will be good use of death-killy for good! Am here because think can help lots and lots. Selkie gets squeezed, and one could swear they heard something crack, though she returns the hug either way. Um... Can into letting of go, plis. Appreciate! As soon as she's let go of, the Kobold turns her attention to the dwarf that just walked in. Smiling at her too and straightening herself on the bench that Zadikka was sitting on, she gives a wave. Seemed to stick out from the others around here Haelo. You is here for this too? Am Selkie. Haven't met you! Who is? Happy with her introduction, the Kobold awaits the Dwarf's response.

Bayar
2016-09-07, 03:33 PM
Marra

Noticing that someone was addressing her, the dwarf put aside the book. "Oh, hello there, Marra Barrelsmith. Dwarven archaeologist and journeyman magician, pleasure to make your acquaintance Selkie. Yes, travelling through the King's Road is what I intended, and if along the way there's something that needs helping with, might as well help. How about you?

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-07, 03:39 PM
Patrick approach the three ladies. Patrick: "Hey everybody. My name is Patrick Club. I guess everybody is here for the King Road. What's everybody else name?"

Linken
2016-09-07, 04:02 PM
Selkie tilts her head, intrigued by the mention of magic. Nothing new to her, but she liked the thought of having a mage, if they would come! Oooo? Magic? What magic is? Divi-nation, evo... evo-cation, necro-mancy? Or is not special-ise, general? Is nice meeting you, too! She lists off the magic schools she knew off the top of her head, offering a confused but respectful look as she shuffles in the seat. Anything would be useful, she's sure of it- as long as this Mara person knows what they're doing.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-07, 07:43 PM
"oops, sorry." Zadikka let go of Selkie swiftly and examined that she wasn't hurt. Kobolds tend to break so easily, she has to be more careful next time.

"Nice to meet you, Patrik end Marra, I em Zadikka, end dis shiny gold pyis is Selki, you met her, I can tell."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-07, 07:58 PM
Patrick looks at Zadikka. Patrick spoke to Zadikka.Patrick: "So Zadikka tell me about yourself."

Bayar
2016-09-08, 04:15 AM
Marra

"Err, hello Patrick. I'm Marra. Oh, I'm not really interested in specializing, why limit my potential in exchange for a bit more power ? Hello Zadikka, Marra Barrelsmith. Nice to meet your acquaintance." Oh dear, what's with the crowd all of a sudden ? This is getting awkward, hope Ironbeard shows up soon need a bit of space to breathe. Marra looks a bit uncomfortable at this point.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-08, 05:53 AM
Zadikka sees that Marra feels uneasy around her. her smile gradually descended. She quickly remembers that she was asked a question, and lifted her gaze towards Patrick. "About myself? about -myself-?" Zadikka sat wide-eyed, as reliving a traumatic memory. after a long,unnerving pause, she continued to speak rather eloquent and fluent Common. "Vat ys dere to tell, I do many tinks, I like to cook, I hev vorked es e...um... 'Butcher', end on ader times - e Grev Dygger... I never qvite liked vat I did, I am cursed vit de 'Femily business'; I hed to bury childrin who could hev hed whole lives ahead of dem, end good men elongside kryminals. Sometimes, I cen see deir spyrits lost in dis vorld, end dose who see me, vell, some feel de caress of my cold, dark karma clatch at deir harts, aders see de sins dey vill be judged for ven kinkdom come, or de time end plece dey vill die.
"I doubt det you kan empatize vit me, I em e monster, end det burdens me every day ven I open my eyes... end yet you feel my presence end derred to step fort, did you not? Selki, too, ys like det. brev, compassionet. not like de crowd, who flock like sheep, bite like sneks, end cry et night like orphens..."

Yikes!:smalleek: if that didn't kill the atmosphere I don't know what would... -2 Charisma, guys! ^^;

... we sure could use a scene change before I make it any more awkward. :smallbiggrin:;;;;;;

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 08:20 AM
Patrick spoke back to Zadikka. Patrick: "That sound very morbid and sad Zadikka."

Prince Zahn
2016-09-08, 09:06 AM
'I em sorry." Zadikka nodded. I hev dat effect on peopil. It can be most difficalt at times, es you kan imaschine."

after a pause of contemplation, she changed the subject. "Vat about you, Patrik? you must hev traveled far from vere you are from. vat is your story?"

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 09:49 AM
Patrick spoke back to Zadikka. Patrick: "Gee where can I begin? It's actually a long story. Before I was Patrick Club, my real drow name is Pharaun Claddath. I used to be an evil drow back then through my childhood through adulthood. I get into fights a lot. Mostly with high elves, orc and my own race. There was a raid which the high elves capture me and put me in prison. An elder high elf male fighter by the name of Levik Archstar released me from prison and put me under his care. He taught me the art of fighting and the ways of being good. He really change my life and I turned good. As years passed he pass away. So I taught three male drow which goes by the name of George Heart, Andrew Spade and David Diamond. We became friends and I Also change Their life. We join the war against the evil drow. We met our human general goes by the name of Patrick Club. It was a very violent however we survive but Patrick Club wasn't so lucky. I took his name and change it to Patrick Club. After the war was over my friends and I go on our separate ways. I met my arch nemesis a male orc barbarian goes by the name of Grimlock Krusher and his four brothers Slag, Snarl, Sludge and Swoop. They kidnap a female drow goes by the name of Carrie Wands and kept her as prisoner. I fight Grimlock and his four brother and rescue Carrie. After they we got married and we have two beautiful children, Stan and Bonnie. We live happily. So that my story."

Linken
2016-09-08, 09:50 AM
Selkie listens to Zadikka's tale, one she had heard many times before with a few words switched about. She gives a smile of encouragement. Is fine, Zaddy. You is nice person, not matter if see bad things, you is nice! The kobold gives a swift hug before diverting her attention to Patrick. Not before nodding at the Wizard, of course. Looked bad. Yes, brother no special-ize either... You is not looking into well. Is okay? She listens out for Patrick's story, curious. Multitasking! Once he finished his story, she seems happy for him. Sad tale, but at least he redeemed himself! Better than being a Drow they might have to hurt. Sound good! Is of into realising danger of road, doe? No want orphans. The thoughts of children being left fatherless due to a bad accident just made her quite sad.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 10:58 AM
While everyone is settling in and talking the secretary quietly gets up and leans through the door. The sudden sound of voices muffled by the merely cracked sturdy oak door is what draws your attention.

Listen DC 10

"...Think about what your doing! If you don't consider the consequences..."

"Your party of four has arrived for your next meeting sir."
"Oh thank the gods. Get out of my office Carl, I have work to do. If your boss is so hell bent on not opening up the King's Road he needs to take it up with Whitehaven. I'm just a dwarf with a job to do and a piece of history to carve my name into."

The secretary suddenly steps back and to the side as a human in red livery bursts through the door. He shouts back into the office as he storms out. "You haven't heard the end of this Ironbeard! There will be consequences! Consequences I say!"

Knowledge Nobility DC 5

He is wearing the heraldry of an agent of Redfel.

The secretary waves you through after the man passes out of the waiting room. You are ushered unto well made if simple office. The furniture is stout solid oak and lightly carved with dwarvish heraldry, mostly depictions of stone-cutting and building. You are quickly shown to some chairs laid in an arc around the desk.

"Sorry about that. That fool is screaming at everyone he can pin down about some foolishness or another. Not my concern. I'm just here to stamp my name on history and Whitehaven is a nice enough organisation to pay me to do it. I am Rodric Ironbeard, architect by trade. I have been put in charge of sorting out the navigability of the King's road. Unfortunately we now don't have time for introductions as I am expecting a report back from..."

The door behind you bursts open.

"Ironbeard sir! Report from Sergeant Nobbs sir. He has tracked that group of Gnolls who ate Tim. He's got them holed up in an old temple of some kind."

Rodric sighs. "Good. So why are reporting back now rather than after the problem has been dealt with."

"Nobbs said We is scouts not soldiers. E' says e' aint got a desire to end up in a soup pot Sir!"

Rodric facepalms into his desk. You hear a deep mumble from the desk about "Bloody contractors"
and "Wish I was just pounding stone."

After a moment he takes a deep breath and lifts his head back to look at you.

"Well, I guess that changes things a bit. This lot of useless idiots need a babysitter to finish the job I hired them for. I was going to send you after another one of my never ending problems but this one is more urgent as I need Nobbs back out doing what he does best rather than cowering outside some nook fearfully pointing his crossbow at anything that moves. I can pay 3000gp out of the discretionary fund to make this problem go away. What say you? Quick pop into the dark to kill some cannibals..."

"... not technically cannibals sir, they just eat other races..."

"SOME CANNIBALS and return so we can talk about the job I wanted to pay you for in the first place?"

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 11:52 AM
Patrick said to himself. Patrick: "Yes it's going to be a long and dangerous journey indeed."

Linken
2016-09-08, 01:43 PM
Selkie heads into the room excitedly, but seems confused as the man storms out. Why? Is he not nice? Very rude to the person running the place. Should just be kicked out forever. She looks up at the dwarf after quickly clambering onto the chair and hears him out. If some rude lil'person burst i- wait, gnolls? Ate a person called Tim... So many questions. But... 3000 shiny things just for killing lots and lots of bad things!!

She had only one question. Haelo. Am Selkie, will deal with knolls! Is three thousand shiny gold to split between four or must divide? If so, will... Uuuum. She stops for a second, as if counting, before speaking. 750 shinies between all, yes yes? If split? Am thinking so will be split but just making into sure.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 02:07 PM
Rodric replies smoothly "3000 total. You also have salvage claim on any items you find while adventuring. As for the split my understanding is that traditionally an even split is the most frequent. Some groups who intend to work together for extended periods keep communal books and a fund for items the group as a whole needs and divide the treasure on a per request basis as individuals wish to spend on personal gear and supplies. It doesn't matter to me how you decide to handle the inner financing of your group, so long as everyone within is in agreement, other than Whitehaven will not pay more than a quarter of the total pay to a given party member without written permission from the other members to collect all pay or one or more members are reported dead. That said, Whitehaven has a bad opinion of those who cheat their allies. We are willing to provide impartial adjudication of any dispute for free to our contractors if needed. Any who behave unethically will be blacklisted.

As for Gnolls. They are nasty creatures. They are a race that lives in small tribal groups who mostly survive as bandits and brigands. Most notable is the 'tradition' of eating other sentient races. Whitehaven is not in the business of hunting down such creatures, though I'm sure there are others who would pay you for such, but this particular group attacked a caravan and killed one of the caravan hands before being driven off. That would be enough to justify paying for their removal but the person killed was the relative of the caravan master. As such he decided to stop the caravan and send out half his guards under Sergeant Nobbs to hunt the creatures down. That means I have a caravan stopped at a waystation while he has sent half his men off on an errand of vengeance that they seem reluctant to actually preform.

So I get to send off a group of actual adventures to deal with the problem, as I am normally inclined to do, but now I also have a caravan sitting idle in the middle of a very dangerous tunnel. I'll leave it to Roricson to scream his head off at them on the other side as to why his seven sacks of saffron are at least half a week late."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 02:22 PM
Patrick follow to see what's going on. Patrick spoke to Rodric. Patrick: "Hey I notice there was a dwarf leaving. He was upset at something. What was that all about?"

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 02:36 PM
"That sniveling whelp? That human is no dwarf, that's for sure. No iron in his knees at any point in his life. He is nothing to bother about. Carl is an envoy of Duke Redfel and Redfel is hell bent on stopping the reopening the King's Road. The fool keeps going on about 'upending the balance of power'. He's just ticked that Whitehaven looks like he can actually pull it off."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 02:43 PM
Patrick spoke back to Rodric Patrick: "Oh. he's human. MY mistake. Anyway I'm here for this job that you're offering. I would like to hear more about, please?"

Bayar
2016-09-08, 02:51 PM
Marra

"Oh, are they affiliated with a different trade route ? Regardless, I'd be happy to help with the gnoll problem. This temple, is it somewhere nearby or along the King's Road ?"

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 02:56 PM
The scout replies.

"It's about an hour through the tunnels from the second waystation. A day's hard ride on horseback get's us to the waystation tomorrow. Ye can deal with the gnolls and be back late tomorrow, maybe day after."

Rodric nods. "I will allow five horses from the company stable for any who don't have a mount. I need this solved yesterday."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 03:01 PM
Patrick spoke back to the scout. Patrick: "That won't be a problem. I can take care of those gnolls easily with ong swing."

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 03:24 PM
The scout snorts. "Gnolls are strong and hard to kill. One is a match for several men. You may be some muckity muck adventurer but there are eight of them and one of them is throwing around magic. Nobbs is only got em pinned with a crossbow line. If they push they can probably push past him. The first few are dead if they try it so the line should hold until they start getting desperate. Nobbs is likely to pull back if it looks like theys getting ready to rush him. He can't defend a caravan with dead men. The dark is a dangerous place if you don't keep your head about your shoulders. If you want to face them alone it's your funeral."

Linken
2016-09-08, 03:38 PM
Um... Not know how use horse. Easy to use? Ride with friend, maybe? Also, guess these... g-nolls no smart. Maybe have leader? Kill leader, they scatter, maybe... She seems stumped at this prospect, but maybe she could hang around in Zaddy or someone's backpack. She didn't weigh very much, and she was pretty tiny, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-08, 03:41 PM
Zadikka can't help but snort at the funeral quip. Wait, why was that funny?
Nevertheless, she quickly regains her composure after a cough.
"Sir, if so ve can help yt, dose gnolls vill die, end your Karavan vill liv anoder day. Dis I Svear. Yt is more den just mani to me, dese men must be sev'd. Vidout qveschin."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-08, 03:42 PM
Patrick laughed and spoke back to the scout. Patrick: "Hard to kill eh? I love a challenge and I never lose a fight. Bring on the gnolls then. It's going to be their funeral right after I beat them down."

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-08, 03:43 PM
"No worries little guy. These are caravan horses. It's easy to stay on the saddle and they are trained to follow the lead horse."

(it's DC 0 to just ride a horse. It's only DC 5 to stay on the saddle if the horse does something strange. This plus most saddles grant a +2 bonus... Unless you are doing combat riding it's basically automatic for everyone)

Linken
2016-09-08, 04:06 PM
Selkie first huffs. Am girl. She then thinks about 750 whole shiny things... Oo. Gotta deal with it for those! She nods, though, seeming to be happy that she can just ride a horse easily- though if it was a prank, she was worried. She hoped her friends would be okay, either way. Of course they will, Selkie's gonna be with them all the time!Am happy to help as said. When will leave? Hav supplies.

Bayar
2016-09-08, 05:39 PM
Marra

"Indeed, I am also ready for the trip."

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-09, 11:20 AM
The party agrees with the offered price and quickly departs with the nameless scout (his name is Stan, nice enough fellow). He guides you around the building to a stable with Whitehaven markings and waves a letter of requisition at a stable hand. With a professional speed that shows their merchant roots a set of five heavy draft horses are loaded with saddles and supplies for several days. You make note, there is no forage for horses or mules in the dark.

You mount (and in the case of the party Kobold, simply lifted into the seat) and are on your way without any fuss or muss.

You pass in through the King's Gate. They are massive doors carved from the very mountain themselves. The double doors are massive stone slabs and cover a passage that measures 30ft on a side. Two fully loaded wagons can stand side by side within the massive space.

Once inside you pass onto the king's road itself. Smooth stone, unworn by weather and wind but lightly marked by the passage of a thousand wagons that once passed through these depths. Your guide doesn't seem too interested in sightseeing as he leads you forward swiftly. Your mounts are well trained and follow the lead horse without direction and match his pace despite the speed at which he pushes forward.

"We will hit the second waystation in a matter of hours. I'm pushing the horses a bit to get there soon as we can." He calls back from the lead horse, an everburning torch leading the way as a beacon in the dark. "I do nae want to be caught on the open road just the five of us. The first few stations are pretty safe, so I'm not that worried. It's once you cross the first fissure between the second and third stop that things get interesting."

And with that you ride into the dark.

Darkvision is a strange thing. You ride in little bubbles of light around each horse. The horses each have a stone built into the chest of their saddles that flicker with the heatless light of an everburning flame. Without such an addition the surface creatures would be blind in the depths. You ride down the center of the road, the edges of the cavernous tunnel visible in the flickering light of the torches as you pass.

But none of you are creatures purely of the surface. The blood of orc, drow, dragon, and dwarf are all very much at home with darkness. When the edges of color and light give way to darkness, at the edges of the vision of surface creatures ends, your sight continues. Your eyes hold old magic that according to some predate light itself. Where human eyes see darkness yours see shape. Darkvision is colorless. It as if some strange light fills all the space, clearly highlighting all edges and surfaces in shades of black. It is as if darkness itself welcomes you, showing you the things it hides from sun dwellers who are mere guests in it's domain.

All things have boundaries though. Though your vision stretches out it to much end and like a fog of black your darkvision stops eventually, the sides of the tunnel revealing itself as if from a deep fog as you ride.

Hours pass wordlessly. The only sound is the echoing clop of your mounts at trot as you push forward. You notice signs carved into the walls. Hammer and chisel roughly applied to stone wall marking entrances to the hundreds of side tunnels that branch from the King's Road.

knowledge dungeonering DC 10 or Survival DC 10

The marks are trail sign. You mostly see the marks that denote how expansive the tunnels they mark are. A few seem to be dead ends or small systems of caves. The vast majority denote massive interconnecting systems of caves.

Some denote other things, like water or dangers such as "Ooze", "Magic Dark", or "Bad air"

After a few hours along the road your guide turns off into a side tunnel. The road slopes down and curves. Your guide stops a the first junction.

"Here is a good thing to note, for any of you who are in the dark for the first time. See here." He points to a rune carved into the wall so it is visible facing back towards the way you came. "That rune there, the one that looks like a crown sorta thing, that's the King rune. When we scouts are not shepherding caravans through the road we do a little exploring. We haven't gotten very far from the road itself just yet but still, we mark things are we go. The King rune is extra useful. We carve that one to mark the way we came. Follow those and eventually you get back to the road. Good to know if you ever get lost down here."

With that you continue riding.

Soon you reach your destination. You round a corner into a bubble of light. Lanterns burn, filling a small intersection of tunnels with light. The horses pull to a stop suddenly at the command of your nameless guide (It's Stan damit, nobody remembers my name.). A few men with spears relax and return to manning a line of crossbows sitting behind a makeshift line of rubble fortifications.

One of the men, notable nobby with a large nose and gangly limbs, ambles over to you. "Bout time you got here. I'm getting tired taking shifts watching an empty tunnel. They are still down there. We see one poke his head around every few hours or so. I don't think there is a way back out or they would have left by now. Get Mit to water the horses, rub them down and ready them for the return trip." He turns to the party. "And your the lot Rody sent to solve this bit of trouble. Good, I'm not going charging round corners after some bloody dogheads without a lot more pay than old ironchin is willing to pay me. We got the bastards pinned. There is a maybe sixty foot straightaway, likely the remains of an old hallway, we have covered with bolts. Anything that shows itself and we can fill it full of steel before it can get down the hall. Past that there's a bit of a room that part of the roof caved in. There is lots of signs of water damage so that cave in likely connects to other parts if you feel like being sneaky and are up for a bit of a climb. We got line of sight to that room so most of that so the dog's are staying back from that. We are pretty sure they are guarding around the corner waiting for us to run out of supplies and head back so they can scoot. We got a good count of them from tracks. 8 of them hidden in there, likely spread out a little. Dogboys don't even like each other, so if your smart you can keep them from grouping up if you keep them from retreating deeper into the complex.

So, how do you lot want to handle this?"

Linken
2016-09-09, 02:19 PM
Selkie feels right at home in the darkness. She hadn't felt this right in a long, long time- every time she went outside, her eyes were simply dazzled by the blinding light of the Sun. Now? Now she felt happy (or, well, happier) and able. Her green eyes flick around the environment as her innate Darkvision triggers. Showing off her sharp-toothed smile to her companions, the Kobold quickly dismounts and starts doing some searching, both for traps, secret places, jewels... anything, really, while also listening to this weird guy talk about different routes. Um... not know. Cannot into swim so if water from damage still there will no be able to sneak. Will hav find different place.
This is one of the reasons she was searching, in addition to wanting to find an extra route into where these gnolls were holed up.

[roll0]
Searching for secret doors, traps and shiny things.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-09, 02:32 PM
You search the area covered by the crossbow guards. You don't find any secret doors or traps. You do get a better look at the cavein. It looks like a trickle of water flowing from a natural spring cut a path above this area and collapsed the roof. You think it may be possible to climb up into the area it cut away. The stones collapsed into easy handholds and the water only flows over a section of the cavein. You do note that while there is little more than maybe a half inch of water, it has covered the rocks in slick algae. While there is no threat of drowning, slipping may be a problem in places.

Listen DC 15

You can hear the echos of water from deeper into the temple. There is clearly more than one area this water flows to.

Listen DC 20

You also here the garbled sound of voices interspersed with barking sounds. (let me know if your character speaks gnoll)

The room at the end of the hallway is a 15ft square and has a stone door off to the south. The door is closed.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-09, 02:32 PM
Patrick spoke to everybody. Patrick: "If the gnolls are that unorganized that will give us an advantage of slaying them. The less organized, the better."

Bayar
2016-09-12, 03:09 PM
As soon as the group left the building, a raggedy raven flew towards them and perched itself on Marra's shoulder. "Took your time in there, I was getting bored. Who are your new friends ?" "Introductions are in order, I guess. Everybody, this is Quote, my raven familiar." "Crow ! I am a crow ! How many times do I have to tell you ?" "Oh hush. This is Selkie, Zaddika and Patrick. We will be traveling together on the King's road for a while, escorting some caravans." "Great. And here I thought leaving the mountainhomes would be a good opportunity to flitter about in open sky." The raven takes off, flying above the party while still in the open.

On the way, in the darkness of the King's Road:
"These light stones are nifty. Would you like one for yourself Quote ?" "Hmph, and do what ? Pretend to be a firefly and draw fire from every lurking predator in this place ? No thanks, I'd rather be one with the darkness."

At the stop:
"Quote could go up and look through the cave-in, maybe relay some useful info about where the gnolls are. And I could summon a creature to draw their fire and disorient them enough for everyone else to move in."

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-12, 06:08 PM
Quote flies up into the space above the cave in for a brief moment before returning.

"The water is coming out of a little hole in the rock, far too small for even me to fit through. It looks like a patch of patch of softer rock that got eroded away over the years and finally broke though the ceiling here. It definitely connects to somewhere else, some of the water flows off a narrow side passage. I can't go down that passage though. The dark here is complete. Not even starlight to give hints of space, just black like ink."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-12, 06:17 PM
Patrick spoke to Stan. Patrick: "So we're stuck here? Is there any other alternative way to get through?"

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-12, 06:29 PM
You appear to have two options.

A - Go through the closed door at ground level

B - Climb up the cave in and go through the upper level

Note - The climb is easy. Patrick can easily scale it with his +6 climb check and everyone else can use his rope. A knotted rope next to a wall is literally a DC 0 climb check.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-12, 07:03 PM
Patrick: "I'm climbing." Patrick start climbing the mountain.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-12, 08:31 PM
Patrick climbs the short distance into the old waterway easily. There are plenty of handholds from where the old stonework was pushed in by the rushing water and the great deluge that once forced this path open has long since faded to a wet trickle easily avoid on the climb.

Patrick's darksite is able to see much more easily.

Good thing to. The passage that Quote couldn't see down is narrow but straight. It is about 100ft of very tight (a medium creature will have to squeeze through) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/movementPositionAndDistance.htm#terrainandObstacle s)

And there is a gnoll at the other end with a crossbow.

It's a remarkably defendible position really. Almost all creatures can only see about 60ft in darkness. Discovering that you are stuck slowly working your way through the tight space under crossbow fire and with your unknowing allies blocking the passage behind you would be a royal nightmare.

Fortunately the gnoll appears to have fallen asleep. You are hear him (or her, hard to tell with gnolls) lightly snoring, crossbow across his (or her) lap.

It occurs to you that this will be a much bigger problem if that gnoll wakes up.

You should probably be really quiet. These tunnels carry noise quite well as you can hear the gnoll's snoring.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-12, 08:43 PM
Patrick continues to climb quietly and he kept his mouth shut.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-12, 09:29 PM
You reach the top without issue and see the Gnoll once up. You need to decide how you are going to deal with the situation.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-12, 09:35 PM
Patrick quietly hides away from the Gnoll to look for cover as he wait for the rest of the party who's climbing the mountain.

Prince Zahn
2016-09-13, 06:01 AM
hearing the snoring, and observing the tight ascent, Zadikka removes her armor (with help, if someone volunteers), and thus would likely be last to climb up the rope (should take about 1 minute, or half a minute with help). she finally places the armor in the backpack (Zadikka's AC: 10) and climbs up the rope.

Now, why did I do that?:smallconfused:

Sometimes, one must take precations so as to not wake up the sleeping guard (or, in some cases, sleeping dragon). removing my armor makes me an easy target, yes, but it also minimizes my Armor check penalty to hide and move silently (-3 for a medium load instead of -9 with medium load and heavy armor) so at least there's a chance that I won't wake everybody up!:smalltongue:

Linken
2016-09-13, 01:38 PM
Selkie had helped Zadikka take the armour off, sharp-toothed grin persisting. She waves to the raven before hopping on the rope that Patrick threw down and climbing up. She did not need to take off her armour since she has very light armour with no penalties to her movement whatsoever. After all, how could she burgle without gear that facilitated said burgling? Or borrowing. Borrowing sounded better. Smiling at her friends upon seeing the gap, she checks it out, and in a hushed voice, speaks. Can go crossing into place... If want. She examines the tight space for a moment, checking if she can fit through with her comparably tiny size. She also, of course, heard snores, and becomes even more curious.

Bayar
2016-09-13, 06:16 PM
Marra

Turning towards the crossbowmen, Marra gave a shrug. "I guess I should follow them up. Hold this position." With a quick casting of mage armor, she began to climb the rope and move near the others.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-14, 10:35 AM
Everyone successfully ascends into the upper cave with relative ease. The gnoll at the end of the tight passage seems to have not woken up.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-14, 10:41 AM
Patrick stop hiding and quietly join the rest of the party. Patrick spoke quietly to everybody. Patrick: "Hey everybody the Gnoll is still sleeping. I say we should take that gnoll down. What do you think?"

Prince Zahn
2016-09-14, 11:22 AM
After a moment, of thought for a solution that wouldn't be too violent, Zadikka thinks she found a solution.

Zadikka pulls out the rope from her backpack and offers it silently for use on the Gnoll.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-15, 03:38 PM
Patrick whisper to ZadikKansas softly. Patrick: "Zadikka what are you doing with that rope?"

Linken
2016-09-17, 01:18 PM
Selkie stretches, taking the line of rope. Kill things? Sure. She attempts to squeeze, using her tiny form, into the gap as quietly as she can. This might take a while, but she's sure she could work it out, and she wouldn't get stuck.

Gotta make this quick and quiet.

[roll0] Move Silently

[roll1] Escape Artist for squeezing if necessary.

Bayar
2016-09-17, 02:45 PM
Marra

The wizard will wait patiently until everyone else passes through the tunnel since she's not the sneakiest dwarf under the mountain.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-18, 11:49 AM
Selkie moves easily through the hallway sized space for such a small creature. Quietly and deftly she moves forward.

Until she reaches about half way through. A smooth patch of wet stone acts as a natural trap! You step in it, the shine of water on stone hidden by your monochrome darksite (and the fact that you didn't roll to search for traps).

Reflex save DC 15 [roll0]

Pshhh... What reflex. Very coordinate. Much reaction. Selkie doesn't even bat an eye when her front foot doesn't find friction. She smoothly returns her weight to her back foot and works her way carefully though the slippery patch.

As silent as a ghost she finds herself on the other side of the water cut. Just her and a still sleeping gnoll.

Linken
2016-09-18, 01:27 PM
Selkie examines the rope she'd been given, before sighing. She wasn't strong enough to strangle this damn thing, plus it's gonna be hard.. Zadikka will be upset, maybe. She had to do this, though. It probably ate a person! She initiates a coup de grace on the sleeping gnoll as she drops the rope, draws her crossbow, and readies a bolt.

A coup de grace is an automatic critical hit and has the capacity to instant kill. Crits let you roll twice for damage. If it's not killed outright, the gnoll must succeed on a fortitude save or be instantly slain.
See the OOC thread for rolls.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-18, 04:12 PM
With a wet snap Selkie's crossbow drives a small bolt through the gnoll's eye from 3" away. It's merciful. The gnoll doesn't so much as twitch and stop breathing.

This leaves you to take a look around the other end of the water cut. You find yourself in a small 15ft roughly square space with another side passage cut away by water. This one is larger, enough for a medium creature to walk without problem.

You can hear the gnollish voices from that direction.

Listen DC 15

You can hear three distinct gnoll voices.

Linken
2016-09-20, 09:18 AM
Selkie first examines the gnoll body for shiny objects for a small, brief moment. She then crawls back, attempting to disable the water trap this time, and meets the group again. Gnoll dead! Come with. Half through tunnel, is water thing. Be careful of, oki? Will lead way. Be quiet. Few other gnolls, though, to side. Not sure how go... Thoughts?

She hops into the tunnel once more, beckoning the group in to follow her lead, pleased with her work. She waits for others' input while idly reloading her crossbow.

Take 10 on Disable Device, 10+8=18. Trying to disable the water trap.
Searching gnoll for shiny stuff, [roll0]

Bayar
2016-09-20, 02:33 PM
Marra

"Understood. I'll bring up the rear, after you three dissappear into the darkness."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-20, 02:43 PM
Patrick: "Let's take those Gnolls down."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-20, 06:22 PM
Patrick: "I declare that Selkie should lead the party and myself as second-in-command of the party"

Prince Zahn
2016-09-21, 08:28 AM
Zadikka furrowed her brow and stopped the dark elf in his tracks. "Hey! Vat makes you second in command?"

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 08:34 AM
Patrick spoke to Zadikka. Patrick: "Because I called dibs for second-in-command."

Prince Zahn
2016-09-21, 08:53 AM
"You also picked little Selki for leadrship, fine demonstraschon of your compitence." Zadikka whispered sarcastically. "Selki just like child, elf. Keep her happy, help her out, but don't trouble her vit tough decijons, she might not handle it vell."

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 09:08 AM
Patrick spoke back to Zadikka Patrick: "True but she killed a Gnoll. That's got to mean something to proved her leadership. Her young age doesn't compromised her leadership."

Prince Zahn
2016-09-21, 09:12 AM
" Elf, I kill more pipil den you hav years, doesn't mean I should be proud ov it. If Selki
leads, I em her second in command end edvizor. End ov stori. "

Linken
2016-09-21, 09:25 AM
Selkie shakes her head inside the tunnel, waiting for the two to stop bickering. Nooo! Not good leader. Gib Zadikka leader-ship!

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 09:26 AM
" Elf, I kill more pipil den you hav years, doesn't mean I should be proud ov it. If Selkie
leads, I em her second in command end edvizor. End ov stori. "

Patrick argues back with Zadikka. Patrick: "So have I. I'm not proud of it either but at least I've some class. And it's not the end of story. I sense that there's a bit of jealously that you want to challenge for second-in-command for the spot."

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-21, 10:27 AM
Selkie's search of the dead gnoll discovers little of value. His crossbow is crudely made and badly maintenance. He carries only a small water skin of rancid smelling water and some chunks of dried meat that seem... questionable at best.

Selkie has better luck disabling the water slick. Some small stones are easily gathered and placed on the slick ground to provide purchase.

With the remainder of the group now able to moved into the space at the end of the small tunnel the group is ready to move forward.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 11:02 AM
Patrick spoke to Selkie and then continue to argue with Zadikka. Patrick: "Wait you decline your leadership position., Selkie? See what you did Zadikka?! Your bad opinion scared Selkie forcing her to resign her leadership position and it's all your fault!"

Prince Zahn
2016-09-21, 11:12 AM
"You vould rater she become leadr widout knowing de risks end responsibilityis?" Zadikka defended, "You are e fool, Patrick, you should know better den dat!"

Linken
2016-09-21, 11:21 AM
Selkie notes that they've all seemed to head into the tight tunnel, emerging on the other side. And they're STILL having this argument. Selkie sneaks away into the next room, sticking to any places she might not be able to be seen- like behind walls or cover. She wasn't dumb, she knew that these things will probably have some ability to see in the dark- she couldn't see her shiny scales, so these gnolls probably won't be able to see her if they've got the same eyes as her!

Entering side room where gnolls apparently are.
[roll0]Move Silently
[roll1]Hide behind any cover, try to stay concealed.

Bayar
2016-09-21, 11:26 AM
Marra

With a frown and a facepalm, Marra started talking slowly. "People. Please. This is no time for bickering. Let's take care of the gnolls, in silence, no arguements, then decide who will lead." Deciding to motivate the other two, she goes after Selkie.

Hide: [roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 11:27 AM
Patrick argues back at Zadikka. Well that the whole point of being a great leader knowing the risk and responsibilities. If she was a bit older we wouldn't be having this conversation in the first place and if she wouldn't accepted it she should've given her leadership to me."

Prince Zahn
2016-09-21, 11:42 AM
"Marra is right. Ve hev gnolls to kill. Decidink who is leadr ken vait. End YOU, Mister elf, better vatch yor mout end stop talking, or I vill report you to our employer." Zadikka proceeds, drawing her Scythe, and Vowing to herself not to speak to Patrick anymore.

Bartmanhomer
2016-09-21, 11:49 AM
Patrick spoke back to Zadikka. Patrick: "You're right. Sorry if I argue with you, Zadikka. Let's kick some Gnolls butt."