PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pit from Kid Icarus Uprising?

Valwyn
2016-09-05, 10:27 PM
So I've been playing KIU lately (great characters, clunky controls) and I've been wondering how to make a character that resembled Pit. For the purpose of this build, I'm going with a bow rather than, say, a cannon (refluffed heavy crossbow?).

I think the biggest obstacle here is choosing a race. The angels in the MM are nothing like Pit. He is, in fact, not that special as far as traits go and could be a human with vestigial wings. However, he does fight and defeat a number of gods throughout the game, so either he has ridiculously expensive stuff or very high stats (a trumpet archon with lower mental stats seems like a good place to start).

For now, these are the traits I'd like to get:

Angel, but can't fly and lacks most if not all of DnD's angel's traits (no immunities, no Tongues, no SLA, etc). Possibly a just a mundane humanoid.
Proficient at both ranged and melee (elvencraft longbow would work fine, maybe refluffed to deal slashing damage?).
Unarmored, so either Dex or Wis based build (probably Dex, since Pit isn't too bright, though Wis would be useful for a gish build).
Able to cast Word of Recall. (Optional, that's actually Palutena's doing.)

Now that I look at this, I'm just building a high level archery-focused fighter, or maybe a gish of some sort...

Any ideas beyond Zen Archery+DDM Persist Divine Power?

2016-09-05, 11:59 PM
You might be interested in the Swordbow. Beyond that, my best idea for statting him up would be to gestalt some kind of archery build (probably a Swift Hunter, since I like Swift Hunters) with an angel monster class.

SoraWolf7
2016-09-06, 12:05 AM
If you don't mind the +1 LA, Aasimar looks to be right up Pit's alley. Divine heritage and +2 to Wisdom and Charisma.

As for equipment, you definitely want either a Swordbow or an Elvencraft Bow (Races of the Wild). The Elvencraft Bow would fit more mechanically to meet with Pit's ranged-to-melee interchangeability, but the Swordbow fits on the damage types. A set of Owlfeather Armor would give you the limited flight you need until you upgrade to a divine blessing Phoenix Cloak.

As for your classes, I'd hit up Cleric for some Wisdom-based casting and the Luck and/or Travel Domains, but if you don't want that... (And I don't see why you wouldn't with the Cleric Archer being a great build idea especially for this.) I can only immediately think of the feats needed to deal with the bows use through Ranger/Fighter.

Valwyn
2016-09-06, 11:02 AM
Beyond that, my best idea for statting him up would be to gestalt some kind of archery build (probably a Swift Hunter, since I like Swift Hunters) with an angel monster class.

Swift Hunter could work. Not sure about gestalt; never used it before.

If you don't mind the +1 LA, Aasimar looks to be right up Pit's alley. Divine heritage and +2 to Wisdom and Charisma.

As for equipment, you definitely want either a Swordbow or an Elvencraft Bow (Races of the Wild). The Elvencraft Bow would fit more mechanically to meet with Pit's ranged-to-melee interchangeability, but the Swordbow fits on the damage types. A set of Owlfeather Armor would give you the limited flight you need until you upgrade to a divine blessing Phoenix Cloak.

As for your classes, I'd hit up Cleric for some Wisdom-based casting and the Luck and/or Travel Domains, but if you don't want that... (And I don't see why you wouldn't with the Cleric Archer being a great build idea especially for this.) I can only immediately think of the feats needed to deal with the bows use through Ranger/Fighter.

Aasimar could work. Easier to scale up and down than other monsters as well.

I think I'll go for the elvencraft longbow. My only concern is that staves count as one-handed+light weapons rather than light+light. Then again, Zen Archery and Intuitive Strike would reduce the MAD. For armor, I was actually thinking of dipping Monk (AC plus all good saves) or Avenger Druid Hunter (Fast Movement+Rage, Monk AC+Favored Enemy [Evil Outsiders]+Track). Potions of fly work well

It's not that I'm against Cleric, it's just that I don't see Pit as a full caster, even considering the powers he can use (healing, mega laser, etc). I understand why it makes sense, though. Maybe as a gish build, which is viable, mind you.

2016-09-06, 11:06 AM
Swift Hunter could work. Not sure about gestalt; never used it before.

Gestalt is being suggested only if you're wanting him to be a full-blown angel of some kind without sacrificing a bunch of levels for LA and RHD; if you're just going with Aasimar (or lesser Aasimar), you can avoid gestalt and just make a Swift Hunter.

Zweisteine
2016-09-07, 11:34 AM
If you want actual functioning wings, Faerūn's Avariel (winged elves) might be your best bet, but they have +3 LA.

I'll agree that that Aasimar (or Lesser Aasimar) is what you want, with purely-cosmetic wings.

Or you could use the Half-Celestial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm) template. Stick that on human, and you've probably got a good baseline.

For a weapon, you might want a custom version of Hank's Energy Bow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/planetouched.htm) (make it into Hank's Energy Swordbow (MiC)).

weckar
2016-09-08, 02:48 AM
There's always the Winged Creature template. Surprisingly cheap for the early game benefits, and loses its extra utility right about when LA buyoff comes into play (if used). Works superbly on a lesser aasimar, or a plain old human.

Valwyn
2016-09-09, 09:09 AM
I'll agree that that Aasimar (or Lesser Aasimar) is what you want, with purely-cosmetic wings.

Yup, I think this might be my best choice.

Or you could use the Half-Celestial template. Stick that on human, and you've probably got a good baseline.

Half Celestial might be nice, too. Maybe I could just use Aasimar and two levels of Savage Progression (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a). That way I don't get the wings and still get immunity to disease (floor ice cream gives you health! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pLAIDH304)).

For a weapon, you might want a custom version of Hank's Energy Bow (make it into Hank's Energy Swordbow (MiC)).

I like the idea of Pit's Energy Swordbow, but I think an Elvencraft Longbow might be better. Besides, I'm not sure all DM's approve of Hank's Bow. I do need a source of infinite ammunition, though...

There's always the Winged Creature template

Hmm. I'll have to look into it.