PDA

View Full Version : Most Attacks in 1 Round

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:09 AM
Hello fellow players. I have been thinking about the most possible attacks in 1 round against one creature. I say one creature because I don't want people spamming 128 attacks with a ranger. Also note that use of the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style is banned. You can also use any official resources (i.e. SCAG, MM, UA stuff, etc.), but no homebrew. Here is my attempt:

Most Attacks in 1 Round, 14th Level
Fighter 11/Deep Stalker 3 (Feats: Crossbow Expert, Dual Wielder; Equipment: 2x Hand Crossbow; 20 Dex; 2x Archery Fighting Style)
Action: 4x Attacks (3 from Fighter, +1 from 1st round Deep Stalker)
Bonus Action: 4x Attacks (3 from Fighter, +1 from 1st round Deep Stalker)
Action Surge Action: 4x Attacks (3 from Fighter, +1 from 1st round Deep Stalker)
Haste Action: 1x Attack (Haste only allows 1 attack)
Total: 13x Attacks @ +4 to hit, 1d6+15 piercing damage

Have at it!

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 09:10 AM
True polymorph into a marialith?

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:12 AM
True polymorph into a marialith?

That is only 6 attacks.

Rysto
2016-09-06, 09:14 AM

I don't get how this works. Crossbow expert should only give you a single bonus attack, not 3.

SMac8988
2016-09-06, 09:16 AM
I don't get how this works. Crossbow expert should only give you a single bonus attack, not 3.

It does. It's only a single bonus action attack. Also I am pretty sure haste only allows for a bonus action attack, hence why it doesn't meld well with a frenzy barb.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:17 AM

Crossbow Expert allows you to attack multiple times, dual wielding Hand Crossbows allows for Bonus Action attacking.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 09:18 AM
That is only 6 attacks.

But unlimited attacks of opportunity.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:18 AM
Wait, could I use Swift Quiver to make 8 attacks as a Bonus Action instead of 4?

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:19 AM
But unlimited attacks of opportunity.

T_T
RIP my challenge

Specter
2016-09-06, 09:20 AM
Level 20 Polearm Master/Crossbow Expert Fighter. If we're considering a round instead of a turn, then getting a reaction attack like Riposte is important.

And yep, bonus action is only one attack. So, 4+1+4 (AS) +1 (haste) + 1 (reaction) will give you 11 attacks, youza. Beg someone to cast Crusader's Mantle.

SMac8988
2016-09-06, 09:20 AM
Wait, could I use Swift Quiver to make 8 attacks as a Bonus Action instead of 4?

I'm like 90% sure that Crossbow and swift state that you can make one additional attack as a bonus action. I doubt wizards would allow for someone to make 8 attacks in 6 seconds....

Giant2005
2016-09-06, 09:23 AM

No, Swift Quiver would give you two attacks while you would ordinarily get 1 from Crossbow Mastery.

Specter
2016-09-06, 09:23 AM
I'm like 90% sure that Crossbow and swift state that you can make one additional attack as a bonus action. I doubt wizards would allow for someone to make 8 attacks in 6 seconds....

2 attacks by bonus action with Swift, while Crossbow gives you one.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 09:24 AM
And yep, bonus action is only one attack..

I don't want to sound mean, but where can I read this? I just want to know for future reference.

Giant2005
2016-09-06, 09:25 AM
I don't want to sound mean, but where can I read this? I just want to know for future reference.

You can read it in each of the abilities that are giving you the ability to make an attack with your bonus action. They enable you to make an attack (sometimes two), not take an entire attack action.

Rysto
2016-09-06, 09:26 AM
The Crossbow Expert feat says that you may "attack" as a bonus action, not take the Attack action. The Extra Attack feature only applies when you take the Attack action.

Specter
2016-09-06, 09:27 AM

On the feat's description. If Crossbow Expert gave you 4 attacks as a bonus action, no other weapon in the game would be used.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 09:31 AM

Well no problem for a high level sorlock using 4X eldritch blast + quickened again for another 4 attacks. This is not even counting action surges, bonus ranger attacks and so on.

I propose consideration to thief 17, fighter 2, variant ranger with ambuscade. This gives you 4 actions in the first turn of combat and 2 bonus actions. With magic initiate for eldritch blast you can make 4 spell attacks per action. Not quite sure what is best to do with the bonus action though.

Thief 17 sorc 3, again making spell attacks with eldritch blast can get 4*4 attacks per turn.

Fighter 11, Ranger 1 (again ambuscade), Sorcerer 3 + other levels could do 3 attacks on both attack actions and the ability does not restrict what you use your bonus actions for so a magic initiate eldritch blast for each of those also works. I think this is 17 attacks.

Telonius
2016-09-06, 09:33 AM
EDIT: GAH, wrong edition.

orange74
2016-09-06, 09:42 AM
Hello fellow players. I have been thinking about the most possible attacks in 1 round against one creature. I say one creature because I don't want people spamming 128 attacks with a ranger. Also note that use of the Tunnel Fighter Fighting Style is banned. You can also use any official resources (i.e. SCAG, MM, UA stuff, etc.), but no homebrew. Here is my attempt:

Most Attacks in 1 Round, 14th Level
Fighter 11/Deep Stalker 3 (Feats: Crossbow Expert, Dual Wielder; Equipment: 2x Hand Crossbow; 20 Dex; 2x Archery Fighting Style)
Action: 4x Attacks (3 from Fighter, +1 from 1st round Deep Stalker)
Action Surge Action: 4x Attacks (3 from Fighter, +1 from 1st round Deep Stalker)
Haste Action: 1x Attack (Haste only allows 1 attack)
Total: 13x Attacks @ +4 to hit, 1d6+15 piercing damage

Have at it!
Never mind that you only get one bonus action attack, that whole mess of stuff gives you... [drum roll...]

2 attacks.

One with each crossbow. Then you have to use a free hand to reload—and unless you are true polymorphed into a marilith, you are all out.

Rysto
2016-09-06, 09:49 AM
One with each crossbow. Then you have to use a free hand to reload—and unless you are true polymorphed into a marilith, you are all out.

RAW, crossbow expert lets you ignore the reloading property on crossbows.

RickAllison
2016-09-06, 09:51 AM
The simple answer is any caster with Scorching Ray 17/Fighter 2. Scorching Ray out of a 9th level slot for 10 attacks, Action Surge SR out of an 8th level slot for 9 more. 19 attacks and you don't even have to use Unearthed Arcana!

orange74
2016-09-06, 09:56 AM
RAW, crossbow expert lets you ignore the reloading property on crossbows.
It allows you to ignore the Loading property but it doesn't allow you ignore the Ammunition property, which specifies that you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon. This was clarified in SA but it's exactly RAW.

Specter
2016-09-06, 10:04 AM
The simple answer is any caster with Scorching Ray 17/Fighter 2. Scorching Ray out of a 9th level slot for 10 attacks, Action Surge SR out of an 8th level slot for 9 more. 19 attacks and you don't even have to use Unearthed Arcana!

Jeez, never thought about that. I'm guessing Drac Sorcerer and Evoker are the best bets for adding the stat to damage?

Pichu
2016-09-06, 10:18 AM
Never mind that you only get one bonus action attack, that whole mess of stuff gives you... [drum roll...]

2 attacks.

The Crossbow Expert Feat allows you to 'ignore the loading property'.

RulesJD
2016-09-06, 10:19 AM
Jeez, never thought about that. I'm guessing Drac Sorcerer and Evoker are the best bets for adding the stat to damage?

Technically?

A Necromancer with a massive horde of Archer Skeletons. You'll be rolling for days.

orange74
2016-09-06, 10:21 AM
The Crossbow Expert Feat allows you to 'ignore the loading property'.
It allows you to ignore the Loading property but it doesn't allow you ignore the Ammunition property, which specifies that you need a free hand to load a one-handed weapon.

This is a recording.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 10:50 AM

Become a 17 Sorcerer/Fighter 2/Variant Ranger 1. For your Action, Bonus Action (Quickened), Action Surge, and Reaction, cast the highest level of Scorching Ray you can. Add in Haste for 5 (or 1 if Haste hates spells) and Ambuscade for another 5 (or 1) for a total of 40 (or 36 or 32) attacks per turn!

Rysto
2016-09-06, 10:59 AM
You can't cast any spell as a bonus action if you're cast a non-cantrip as an action, so Quicken Spell can't get us any more attacks (and 2 EB actions + Quicken Scorching Ray is only 18 attacks).

RickAllison
2016-09-06, 11:03 AM
Become a 17 Sorcerer/Fighter 2/Variant Ranger 1. For your Action, Bonus Action (Quickened), Action Surge, and Reaction, cast the highest level of Scorching Ray you can. Add in Haste for 5 (or 1 if Haste hates spells) and Ambuscade for another 5 (or 1) for a total of 40 (or 36 or 32) attacks per turn!

I consider the variant Ranger unworthy of use. That 1 level dip is ridiculously OP, even for UA.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 11:11 AM
I consider the variant Ranger unworthy of use. That 1 level dip is ridiculously OP, even for UA.

Yes it's very silly.

I will admit to using it once - in my defence it was to fix an otherwise underpowered character (my archivist monk - abjuration wizard/monk multiclass). That single level dip let me stay relevant with an otherwise really (mechanically) bad character.

gfishfunk
2016-09-06, 11:27 AM
The true answer:

Hasted Fighter 20 (either two weapon fighting or polearm master): 4 attacks, +1 attack for Haste, action surge 4 attacks, 1 bonus action attack (either off hand or polearm).

Second Place: Hasted Monk 1 / Fighter 11 / Ranger 3: 3 attacks, +1 attack for Haste, action surge 3 attacks, 2 attacks via flurry of blows through 1 bonus action, +1 attack through Horde Breaker.

Both total 10 attacks in a round.

EDIT: does not include Reactions.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 11:32 AM
The true answer:

Hasted Fighter 20 (either two weapon fighting or polearm master): 4 attacks, +1 attack for Haste, action surge 4 attacks, 1 bonus action attack (either off hand or polearm).

Second Place: Hasted Monk 1 / Fighter 11 / Ranger 3: 3 attacks, +1 attack for Haste, action surge 3 attacks, 2 attacks via flurry of blows through 1 bonus action, +1 attack through Horde Breaker.

Both total 10 attacks in a round.

EDIT: does not include Reactions.

10<19

Unfortunately

gfishfunk
2016-09-06, 11:38 AM
Well no problem for a high level sorlock using 4X eldritch blast + quickened again for another 4 attacks. This is not even counting action surges, bonus ranger attacks and so on.

I propose consideration to thief 17, fighter 2, variant ranger with ambuscade. This gives you 4 actions in the first turn of combat and 2 bonus actions. With magic initiate for eldritch blast you can make 4 spell attacks per action. Not quite sure what is best to do with the bonus action though.

Thief 17 sorc 3, again making spell attacks with eldritch blast can get 4*4 attacks per turn.

Fighter 11, Ranger 1 (again ambuscade), Sorcerer 3 + other levels could do 3 attacks on both attack actions and the ability does not restrict what you use your bonus actions for so a magic initiate eldritch blast for each of those also works. I think this is 17 attacks.

I think you are referring to this post?

And yes, I would agree. I was thinking weapon attacks, but Eldritch Blast makes multiple attacks on a single casting.

RickAllison
2016-09-06, 11:39 AM
10<19

Unfortunately

And if we want weapon attacks, a caster with Shapechange 17/Fighter 2 can turn into a Marilith with 7 attacks for her Multiattack (6 swords, one tail), then Action Surge. Toss on Haste from another caster (like the Fighter 20) and the Dual-Wielder feat (triggered off the Haste Attack action) and you get 7+7+2 for 16.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 11:51 AM
I think you are referring to this post?

And yes, I would agree. I was thinking weapon attacks, but Eldritch Blast makes multiple attacks on a single casting.

Actually I was thinking of the scorching ray one which pipped it.

Happy to play by whatever conditions people want though?

Joe the Rat
2016-09-06, 11:59 AM
Pumped-up Conjure Nature's Ally? How many CR 1/4s is that?

RulesJD
2016-09-06, 12:41 PM

Make it a Wild Mage Sorcerer. Tides of Chaos before first spell -> Auto-roll for first Scorching Ray. Get the "Immediately take another Action" roll. Add in a level 7 SR for 8 more and use Tides of Chaos on that spell. Second Spell (after Action Surging) get Wild Magic again and same Take an Action. Level 7 SR for 8 more.

Up to 35 now.

Then add a weapon attack with Haste. Add in Horde Breaker for another (not sure but I think Ranger will still give you level 9 spell slots).

So that's 37.

Take War Caster feat. Use a level 6 SR to add 7 more.

So that's 44.

WereRabbitz
2016-09-06, 12:47 PM
Attacks or dice rolls? O.o

Paladin 11, Sorcerer 5, Fighter 2
PAM Feat & Cast Haste on yourself

Attack 1 1d10+5 + 1d8 Smite
Attack 2 1d10+5 + 1d8 Smite
Bonus PAM 1d4+5 +1d8 Smite
Haste 1d10+5 +1d8 Smite
**ACTION SURGE**
Attack 1 1d10+5 + 1d8 Smite
Attack 2 1d10+5 + 1d8 Smite

6 Attacks:
Min Damage: 42dmg
Max Damage: 132dmg

Using Level 4 Smites on every attack (Remember adding sorcerer to your build?)

Min Damage: 72dmg
Avg Damage: ~195dmg a lot higher if you pick up GWF Style
Max Damage: 372dmg

For Reference a Ancient Black Dragon CR 21 has a average life of 367.

This doesn't include things like Misses or Crits so can go up or down quite a bit. Your still rolling 6 attacks so a chance to crit can be pretty Good and that can make a massive leap in damage.

If your looking for # of attacks though

Hasted Level 20 Fighter using PAM or TWF = 10 attacks
4x Attacks + Action Surge 4x Attacks + bonus Attack + Hasted Attack (Just needs someone else to haste him vs the Paladin being self reliant)

Pichu
2016-09-06, 01:16 PM
Make it a Wild Mage Sorcerer. Tides of Chaos before first spell -> Auto-roll for first Scorching Ray. Get the "Immediately take another Action" roll. Add in a level 7 SR for 8 more and use Tides of Chaos on that spell. Second Spell (after Action Surging) get Wild Magic again and same Take an Action. Level 7 SR for 8 more.

Up to 35 now.

Then add a weapon attack with Haste. Add in Horde Breaker for another (not sure but I think Ranger will still give you level 9 spell slots).

So that's 37.

Take War Caster feat. Use a level 6 SR to add 7 more.

So that's 44.

I'm a bit skeptical about this because you are hoping that you will get two perfect d100 rolls on wild magic surge. The odds of that is 1/2500, so I don't like this that much. Hypothetically, a 20th level Sorcerer could get 20+ extra actions by using all spell slots and getting REALLY lucky.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 02:37 PM
Underdark Ranger 1- Lore Bard 17- Fighter 2. Use 9th level slot for tiny Animate Objects spell, bonus action to make your 18 arrowheads attack, use free UA Underdark Ranger attack with bow, action surge to cast 8th level Slot Scorching Ray for 8 ray attacks, have a Contingency spell of Haste go off that was contigent on you casting Scorching Ray, then you make another bow attack. 28 attacks.

Specter
2016-09-06, 03:10 PM
Underdark Ranger 1- Lore Bard 17- Fighter 2. Use 9th level slot for tiny Animate Objects spell, bonus action to make your 18 arrowheads attack, use free UA Underdark Ranger attack with bow, action surge to cast 8th level Slot Scorching Ray for 8 ray attacks, have a Contingency spell of Haste go off that was contigent on you casting Scorching Ray, then you make another bow attack. 28 attacks.

That's not the way it works. For Swift Quiver you need to be the one making an attack roll.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 03:54 PM
That's not the way it works. For Swift Quiver you need to be the one making an attack roll.
Who said Swift Quiver? Not sure what you are getting at here.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 03:59 PM
Or in case there's a problem with the ranger part, just have the haste contingency go off when all the Animate Objects finish attacking, you make Haste attack then make ranger free attack.

Specter
2016-09-06, 04:07 PM
Too much caffeine, sorry, mistook what you said. Sounds legit, but why ranger? You can just pop a crossbow at them and be done with it.

RulesJD
2016-09-06, 04:09 PM
Again, if we're just going for most attacks per round and not caring how we get there:

Necromancer Wizard wins hands down, full stop. Can easily have something like 100+ minions with short bows under their command.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 04:13 PM
Too much caffeine, sorry, mistook what you said. Sounds legit, but why ranger? You can just pop a crossbow at them and be done with it.

The Underdark Ranger gets 1 free weapon attack their first turn in combat, so I need 1 level of that class to get a free attack after the Haste attack happens. Not having the class drops the number attacks down from 28 to 27.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 05:50 PM
I hit 41 attacks in 1 round. 17 Favored Soul/2 Fighter/1 Ranger.

Ambuscade: 2x Attacks
Action: 9th Level Magic Missile
Bonus Action: Quickened 8th Level Magic Missile
Action Surge: 7th Level Magic Missile
Haste Action: 1x Attack
Reaction: 6th Level Magic Missile

Pichu
2016-09-06, 05:52 PM
bonus action to make your 18 arrowheads attack

What is this? Just out of curiosity.

RickAllison
2016-09-06, 06:01 PM
I hit 41 attacks in 1 round. 17 Favored Soul/2 Fighter/1 Ranger.

Bonus Action: Quickened 8th Level Magic Missile
Action Surge: 7th Level Magic Missile
Reaction: 6th Level Magic Missile

Can't do the bonus action spell, it makes the two action spells invalid. Also, Magic Missile isn't actually an attack...

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 06:06 PM
What is this? Just out of curiosity.
Animate Objects cast as a 9th level spell.

Pichu
2016-09-06, 06:09 PM
Can't do the bonus action spell

Quickened spell from Sorcerer Metamagic.

Also, Magic Missile isn't actually an attack...

Yes it is; it does damage.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 06:10 PM
What is Ambuscade? And am I so far in the lead with 28 attacks?

Pichu
2016-09-06, 06:12 PM
Animate Objects cast as a 9th level spell.

With a 9th level Animate Objects, you only animate 14 objects, not 18. (10 base)+4 (from 9th level).

Pichu
2016-09-06, 06:13 PM
What is Ambuscade? And am I so far in the lead with 28 attacks?

1) Ambuscade is a 1st level feature from a Variant Ranger. Here is the link to the PDF: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/DX_0907_UA_RangerOptions.pdf
2) No, I am with 41.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 06:17 PM

You can only cast 1 quickened spell per turn, so only one magic missile attack on your action, then action surge for another magic missile.

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 06:19 PM
With a 9th level Animate Objects, you only animate 14 objects, not 18. (10 base)+4 (from 9th level).

2 objects more per lvl slot above 5th. So base 10 + 8

Pichu
2016-09-06, 06:23 PM
You can only cast 1 quickened spell per turn, so only one magic missile attack on your action, then action surge for another magic missile.

I am using only 1 quickened spell, which is for my Bonus Action. My Action Surge, Action, React

Fuzzy Logic
2016-09-06, 06:24 PM

If you go to the spell casting section of the PHB you'll find a rule that states if you cast a spell as a bonus action then the only spells you can cast with your action are controls. Every one of my players who picked sorceror were extremely disappointed with that rule.

Magic missile is not technically an attack as you don't need to make an attack roll. If it's just who can do damage to the most people then cast cone of cold on a tightly grouped horde of goblins and your level 9 wizard wins

Degwerks
2016-09-06, 06:29 PM
I am using only 1 quickened spell, which is for my Bonus Action. My Action Surge, Action, React

Page 202 Bonus Action spell rule.

gfishfunk
2016-09-06, 06:30 PM
Bonus Action spells are weird: if you do a bonus action spell, you can not cast any more spells that turn aside from cantrips. RAW, Players Handbook pg. 202. Oddly enough, if you action surge you can cast two spells (level whatever) because that is not prohibited in the same section (I have not checked the errata...)

Also, for the purposes of the exercise, the requirement is an attack roll. Otherwise, we would be looking at Fire Wall or another appropriate spell and talking about stacks of tiny mobs. (How many grasshopers would fit....?)

By RAW, 41 attacks does not work out due to bonus action Magic Missile.

orange74
2016-09-06, 07:03 PM
Does it count if I cast Time Stop and beat the snot out of myself?

Pichu
2016-09-07, 07:08 AM
Update: This is now the build, at 35 attacks in 1 round.

Bonus Action: Swift Quiver
Action Surge: 8th Level Magic Missile
Reaction: 7th Level Magic Missile

smcmike
2016-09-07, 07:54 AM

Pichu, man, you aren't listening. Magic Missile is not an attack. If it were, it would say "make an attack" somewhere in the spell text.

If you are just counting anything that does damage as an attack, the answer is to pack a lot of enemies into a space and cast an area of effect spell.

Degwerks
2016-09-07, 08:32 AM

Besides the fact the Magic Missile doesn't qualify as "number of attacks per round", how are you getting Swift Quiver? Did you change the build to Bard instead of Favored Soul?

Also how are you getting a Reaction? Are you putting that in there in case you have Warcaster and your enemy moves after you do your attack routine? If that's the case then I'll amend my build to Valor Bard 17-Fighter 2-UA Variant Ranger 1, I'll be armed with a bow and have Warcaster and have Contingency Haste the comes online after my Scorching Ray goes off.
Ambuscade: 2 free attacks,
Action: 9th level Animate Objects 18 arrowheads
Bonus Action: tell the 18 arrowheads to attack,
Action Surge: 8th level Scorching Ray for 9 ray attacks,
Contigency spell of Haste goes off and I make 1 Haste Attack.
30 Attack Rolls.
Now lets assume like you did with using a Reaction with Warcaster:
Reaction: 7th level Scorching Ray attack for 8 rays.
So 38 actual Attack Rolls...

Pichu
2016-09-07, 08:53 AM
Thank you. I think 38 is maximum!

Degwerks
2016-09-07, 09:22 AM
Thank you. I think 38 is maximum!

Didn't see you edit. Thanks.

georgie_leech
2016-09-07, 09:35 AM

To be clear, you're considering Swift Quiver to already be up and running?

orange74
2016-09-07, 09:40 AM
If advance casting is allowed, it seems worth noting that Animate Objects has a duration of one minute...

1.) Cast animate objects 9 times.
2.) Cast Time Stop.
3.) Contingency Animate Objects goes off on casting of Time Stop.
4.) Cast animate objects while time is stopped.
5.) One heck of a bonus action.

RickAllison
2016-09-07, 09:43 AM
If advance casting is allowed, it seems worth noting that Animate Objects has a duration of one minute...

1.) Cast animate objects 9 times.
2.) Cast Time Stop.
3.) Contingency Animate Objects goes off on casting of Time Stop.
4.) Cast animate objects while time is stopped.
5.) One heck of a bonus action.

Concentration, Contingency is used for spells that target you.

orange74
2016-09-07, 10:09 AM
Concentration, Contingency is used for spells that target you.
I knew there had to be something wrong with that... bah.

Here's a question. If you attack something while Time Stopped, the spell ends. Does the effect that made the spell end still happen, and do you get the rest of your normal time turn after that?

If so... Fighter 2/Caster 18

Action Surge.
Cast Time Stop.
While Time Stopped, cast Haste, then 8th level Animate Objects. With that turn's BA, have them attack.
Back in normal time, with second action, 7th level Animate Objects. BA, have them attack.
+1 Haste attack.

I think that's 31, with no reactions or ambuscade chicanery.

Pichu
2016-09-07, 03:44 PM
Using your method I could do this with 18 Valor Bard/2 Fighter:

Action Surge: Time Stop (5 turns)
Turn 1: 8th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 2: 7th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 3: 6th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 4: 5th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 5: 5th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Action: 5th Level Animate Objects
Bonus Action: Command them to attack

Total: 258 attacks

RickAllison
2016-09-07, 03:56 PM
Using your method I could do this with 18 Valor Bard/2 Fighter:

Action Surge: Time Stop (5 turns)
Turn 1: 8th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 2: 7th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 3: 6th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 4: 5th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Turn 5: 5th Level Animate Objects and command them to attack
Action: 5th Level Animate Objects
Bonus Action: Command them to attack

Total: 258 attacks

Concentration, only one can be kept. Unless you are attacking yourself (which I don't think is the intention...), Time Stop ends when you make the first attack.

Degwerks
2016-09-07, 04:12 PM
I knew there had to be something wrong with that... bah.

Here's a question. If you attack something while Time Stopped, the spell ends. Does the effect that made the spell end still happen, and do you get the rest of your normal time turn after that?

If so... Fighter 2/Caster 18

Action Surge.
Cast Time Stop.
While Time Stopped, cast Haste, then 8th level Animate Objects. With that turn's BA, have them attack.
Back in normal time, with second action, 7th level Animate Objects. BA, have them attack.
+1 Haste attack.

I think that's 31, with no reactions or ambuscade chicanery.

How you have stuff worded is confusing. 1st your saying you want to Action Surge?

Anyway you can't have more than 1 concentration spell going, you have Haste casted, when it ends you lose your movement and actions until after your next turn, so that happens because you cast your 8th level Animate Objects.
I'm not sure how many Bonus Actions someone can get. I always thought it was 1/round, but it's only mentioned you getting 1 on your turn, I really doubt you get more even with Time Stop though.

orange74
2016-09-07, 04:44 PM
How you have stuff worded is confusing. 1st your saying you want to Action Surge?

Anyway you can't have more than 1 concentration spell going, you have Haste casted, when it ends you lose your movement and actions until after your next turn, so that happens because you cast your 8th level Animate Objects.
I'm not sure how many Bonus Actions someone can get. I always thought it was 1/round, but it's only mentioned you getting 1 on your turn, I really doubt you get more even with Time Stop though.

You're right that the Haste and the Animate Objects can't be going at the same time, that absolutely needs adjusting. All I'm getting at regarding the Action Surge is that I intend to use it. Here's another try...

With the normal action on a turn on which an Action Surge will later occur, cast Time Stop. That gives 1d4+1 turns while time is stopped. But for this I only need 2 turns so the die roll is unimportant. Perhaps somebody can come up with a better use for the extras...

With the first time-stopped turn, cast Contingency/Haste, with the condition being the end of the Time Stop spell.

With the second time-stopped turn, cast Animate Objects at 8th level. With the bonus action from that turn, order the objects to attack. That ends Time Stop.

Now we go back to regular time, where the regular action is used up, but not the Action Surge action or the bonus action, or the Haste action. With the Action Surge action, cast Animate Objects at 7th level. With the bonus action, order them to attack. With the haste action, attack.

Now, setting aside anything else I may have overlooked—which is clearly a very distinct possibility, although I don't think I've messed up on concentration this time at least—this relies on two assumptions: first, that the action that ends Time Stop still "happens", and second, that after normal time resumes after a Time Stop, you still have the any normal turn activities that you hadn't used up before stopping time. Nothing in the spell description says that either of those assumptions are wrong, as far as I can tell, but again, it's eminently possible that I'm missing something.

Vogonjeltz
2016-09-08, 10:51 AM
You can't cast any spell as a bonus action if you're cast a non-cantrip as an action, so Quicken Spell can't get us any more attacks (and 2 EB actions + Quicken Scorching Ray is only 18 attacks).

It also wouldn't be against the same target, which was the specific topic of discussion.

"I have been thinking about the most possible attacks in 1 round against one creature." - Pichu

I don't know that anyone has noticed this yet, but: "2x Archery Fighting Style" isn't valid, the same fighting style can not be taken twice.

WereRabbitz
2016-09-08, 11:57 AM
Concentration, only one can be kept. Unless you are attacking yourself (which I don't think is the intention...), Time Stop ends when you make the first attack.

Thanks rick for keeping the rules in check :)