PDA

View Full Version : I became the main character in my campaign

Douche
2016-09-06, 09:30 AM
I joined a campaign at level 2, last October. We've had a core group of 3-4 people, with others coming and going.

Since then, we progressed to level 8. I am the only cleric in the party - and therefore the only character capable of revival. About a month ago, we had a brutal fight where one party member died. I was betrayed during this fight and allowed the minute to pass out of spite, meaning I could no longer cast revivify. He was, for our purposes, permanently dead.

This caused him to ultimately leave the game, and his friend did too. Now I am the only one remaining from the core group. We picked up several new players last week, but the only ones who received this quest that we are currently on remaining are me & one other guy.

Therefore, narratively, I am indestructible. I've been here since the beginning. The other non-new guy has been with us for maybe 3 months. If I die, then it no longer makes any sense for the campaign to continue.

What do I do with this newfound immortality?

Keltest
2016-09-06, 09:36 AM
Become a weapons test subject and help them fine one that can cut through narrative. With such a weapon, you can get straight to the chase and just end anybody who gets in your way without going through all that narrative-induced character growth or whatever.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-09-06, 09:38 AM
Instead of the protagonist, you may be the mentor to this new group. And we all know what happened to Obi-Wan...

Inevitability
2016-09-06, 02:23 PM
Instead of the protagonist, you may be the mentor to this new group. And we all know what happened to Obi-Wan...

So you're saying OP will become more powerful than we can ever imagine? Sounds like a good deal to me. :smalltongue:

zinycor
2016-09-06, 02:27 PM
Suicide your character, there's no meaning in an adventure where you can't possibly die :smallbiggrin:

Âmesang
2016-09-06, 02:33 PM
Unless you're playing Loom or The Secret of Monkey Island. :smallamused:

GrayDeath
2016-09-07, 09:30 AM
Sounds like a perfect Setup for "The One RPG Edition".
Travel to other Universes, kill your other versions, and become THE ONE!

Or look at it Wheel of Time-like: you are now bound to The Wheel/The Horn/WHatever and once every Age you come back to teach the newbs of the Age what to do and what not to do. ^^

mikeejimbo
2016-09-07, 10:03 PM
Without more context I can't tell but my first thought was "dude, kinda a jerk move if you made two players quit." But then I thought "you know they kinda overreacted". As the only cleric I once betrayed and killed the entire rest of the party. The other players high-fived me and said they can't believe I pulled it off.

Jay R
2016-09-08, 01:48 PM
Therefore, narratively, I am indestructible.
What do I do with this newfound immortality?

First of all, unless the GM has verified your character's indestructibility, don't count on it. It's pretty easy to get new people on a quest when all the old ones die.

Slipperychicken
2016-09-08, 02:32 PM
Therefore, narratively, I am indestructible. I've been here since the beginning. The other non-new guy has been with us for maybe 3 months. If I die, then it no longer makes any sense for the campaign to continue.

My GM's killed off founding party-members before. Yes, it's ended campaigns, but we get a new one going next week. Also, your GM has already killed off every other founding member of the party.

So if I were you, I wouldn't be too sure about that immortality idea. If anything, it sounds like you need to play it safe, because you could be next.

TeChameleon
2016-09-12, 03:11 AM
Start getting your character into situations where, narratively, he's a dead man (orc, dwarf, elf, whatever) walking.

Start talking about how he only has a short time until retirement. Have him show pictures of his loved ones back home right before a hard combat. Ask 'what could possibly go wrong' or say 'at least it can't get any worse'. As mentioned, start mentoring a younger (group of) hero(es). In short, tempt fate, taunt Murphy, and do everything you can to mess with the narrative and see what self-destructs first :smallamused:

Esprit15
2016-09-14, 12:32 PM
As someone who ran a game that ended with none of the original party (deaths, characters leaving, players leaving), don't get so cocky.

Go with what TeChameleon said.

Lemmy
2016-09-15, 02:10 PM
Suicide your character, there's no meaning in an adventure where you can't possibly die :smallbiggrin:But if he can't possibly die, how will he commit suicide? :smallbiggrin: