PDA

View Full Version : True capabilities of Ice Assassin

ShurikVch
2016-09-06, 10:44 AM
We all know that spell...
Or, at least, we heard about it...

But what if it isn't as bad as people tell?

During my argument in another thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?498442-What-Abilities-Should-Players-Have/page3) I re-read the spell's RAW:

The ice assassin spell is in many ways an improved version of simulacrum. Developed by powerful frost mages who have more than their fair share of enemies to fight, an ice assassin is an effective way to destroy an enemy without putting yourself at risk.
An ice assassin spell creates a living, breathing creature that is a near-perfect duplicate of an existing creature. The duplicate is formed entirely out of ice, but once the spell is in effect, it appears as an exact duplicate to all but its source, who always sees the ice assassin as an animated ice statue of himself. The ice assassin possesses all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original, but its personality is warped and twisted by an all-consuming need to slay the original. It also constantly uses locate creature on its duplicate at a caster level equal to your own. If its quarry is outside the range of this effect, the ice assassin must rely on its own cleverness or advice from you to track the original.
The ice assassin has the cold subtype. Creatures familiar with the original might detect the ruse with a successful Spot check. You must make a Disguise check (gaining a +10 circumstance bonus from the power of the spell) when you cast the spell to determine how good the likeness is.
The ice assassin is under your absolute command. You possess a telepathic link to the ice assassin, and when you concentrate, you receive a clear image of the area surrounding the ice assassin as if you were scrying it. Further, you can have any spell you cast on yourself affect the ice assassin as well; this includes spells with a target of "You" only. These benefits persist as long as you and the ice assassin remain within a mile of each other. If the ice assassin travels beyond this range, it continues to function and seek out its nemesis, but you have no direct control over it.
An ice assassin has no ability to become more powerful; it cannot increase its level or abilities. Damage caused to the ice assassin can be repaired only via a complex process requiring 1 day, 100 gp per hit point, and a fully equipped laboratory. If the ice assassin is reduced to 0 hit points by any damage except for fire damage, it explodes into a burst of icy shrapnel in a 20-foot radius that causes 1d6 points of cold damage for every two caster levels you possess; a successful Reflex saving throw halves the damage. An ice assassin slain by fire damage simply melts into a pool of water.
Heck, it's one poorly worded peace of RAW!

But OK, let's pretend spell actually do everything it says it do

But what exactly it says?

By the RAW, spell create living creature, which get:
all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original
constant use of locate creature
cold subtype
telepathic link
death throes
Nothing of this is a problem - except the number one.
But let's look closer:

all the skills, abilities, and memories possessed by the original
What is all this things?

Skills are Skills (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/skills.htm) - nothing unclear about it

Memories? Don't codified anywhere in the RAW: Modify Memory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/modifyMemory.htm) spell can't neither give you any new capabilities, nor remove those you already have

But abilities...
Abilities are Abilities (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#theAbilities):
One of the six basic character qualities: Strength (Str), Dexterity (Dex), Constitution (Con), Intelligence (Int), Wisdom (Wis), and Charisma (Cha). See ability score.Link (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_ability&alpha=A).
And even Monster Manual don't disprove it:
Abilities
This line lists the creature's ability scores, in the customary order: Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha. Except where noted otherwise, each creature is assumed to have the standard array of ability scores before racial adjustments (all 11s and 10s). To determine any creature’s racial ability adjustments, subtract 10 from any even-numbered ability score and subtract 11 from any odd-numbered score. (Exceptions are noted in the Combat section of a creature’s descriptive text.) Humanoid warriors are generally built using the nonelite array: 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8. Advanced creatures (such as the hound archon hero) are built using the elite array: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.
Most abilities work as described in Chapter 1 of the Player's Handbook, with exceptions given below.
Strength: As noted on page 162 of the Player's Handbook, quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than bipeds can. Any creature with four or more motive limbs can carry a load as a quadruped, even if it does not necessarily use all the limbs at once. For example, dragons carry loads as quadrupeds.
Intelligence: A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise).
Nonabilities: Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0 - they lack the ability altogether. The modifier for a nonability is +0. Other effects of nonabilities are detailed in the Glossary.

As we can see, Abilities are not, in fact, a Special Abilities (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/glossary&term=Glossary_dnd_specialability&alpha=S) - and spell doesn't include any RAW about (Ex), (Su), (Sp), spellcasting, or manifesting

Thus, Ice Assassin is notably less potent spell than everybody, apparently, thought it is

ShurikVch
2016-09-06, 10:45 AM
I don't think that the line "abilities, skills and memories" is talking about either of the rules constructs, ability scores nor special abilities. I think is referring to abilities in the gemerit sense of "things it can do", skills as "how well it does various things" and memories, which isn't a game construct (the closest game cinstruct probably being XP). I'm sorry, but it's a block of RAW text; any word which is a name of game's term, must mean exactly what that term means
Using non-RAW speak in the middle of RAW text block is exactly as weird as speaking about physics in non-scientific way

@Shurik

Your cite is still not exclusive - in other words, the things you point to are abilities, but that does not invalidate the things I pointed too. Ice Assassin explicitly says "all abilities." Not "only the abilities on page 7, but not the ones on page 6" - all of them. Thus, point stands.Firstly, your distinction is moot: "Abilities" start on page 6
Secondly: Special Abilities there, in fact, don't called "Special Abilities"; they named "Special Attacks and Special Qualities"
Thirdly: Special Abilities in game are, actually, pretty damn hard to get - usually, to aquire them, you should either get some class levels, or to endure existance with higer LA (or racial HD). If RAW doesn't explicitely said "Special Abilities", then it completely sensible to presume they aren't included
Fourthly: if someone says "horses", would you include in the list Trojan Horse? Seahorse? Pommel horse?

Segev
2016-09-06, 11:42 AM
That is a very interesting reading of the spell, and actually seems to have merit. Especially since, upon re-reading simulacrum for comparison, the latter spell states that the illusory creature it creates has the levels/hit dice and special abilities of the original.

I therefore find your attempt to say "special abilities" are not the same as "special attacks and special qualities" spurious, but unless ice assassin mentions granting "special abilities," it will need more specific terminology than "skills, memories, and abilities" to transfer them.

Arguably, if ice assassin grants LEVELS, it will grant class abilities along with them. Granting HD, though, would not be sufficient to grant racial features/special abilities.

Psyren
2016-09-06, 11:59 AM
Again, Monster Manual pg. 6:

Special Attacks and Special Qualities

Many creatures have unusual abilities, which can include special attack forms, resistance or vulnerability to certain types of damage, and enhanced senses, among others. A monster entry breaks these abilities into special attacks and special qualities.

Per the bolded segments, special attacks and special qualities are considered by the rules to be "abilities." They are unusual abilities, sure, but still abilities, and since Ice Assassin says "all abilities" without reservation, it gets them.

If you have something that says unusual abilities are not in fact abilities, I'll take it into consideration, but otherwise I have to go with a plain reading of the text.

Segev
2016-09-06, 12:34 PM
Again, Monster Manual pg. 6:

Per the bolded segments, special attacks and special qualities are considered by the rules to be "abilities." They are unusual abilities, sure, but still abilities, and since Ice Assassin says "all abilities" without reservation, it gets them.

If you have something that says unusual abilities are not in fact abilities, I'll take it into consideration, but otherwise I have to go with a plain reading of the text.

And that's a pretty good counter-argument. Especially since "abilities" as the OP wants to use them are often phrased as "ability scores." Which is as much a signifier as "special abilities" would be.

Name1
2016-09-06, 01:09 PM
Wow, people REALLY dislike this spell. This is like the 5th thread that's been about making Ice Assassin nonfunctional via weird RAW readings, and I have only been here for a few weeks...

ryu
2016-09-06, 01:39 PM
Wow, people REALLY dislike this spell. This is like the 5th thread that's been about making Ice Assassin nonfunctional via weird RAW readings, and I have only been here for a few weeks...

This is why I prefer mechanical defenses like self-imposed, controlled amnesia.

Psyren
2016-09-06, 01:56 PM

It's a truly terribly-conceived spell. But I think the particular reading being advocated by the OP goes too far and disables its likely intended purpose also, so I oppose it. (This reading also throws the word "ability" out of every other game context that doesn't deal with stats too, so the consequences of accepting it are not worth the collateral damage, not even if it means stopping Ice Assassin abuse.)