PDA

View Full Version : New Spells

clash
2016-09-06, 12:52 PM
I was playing around with these 2 new spells. They would normally only be available to a half caster as their high levels spells so to speak. Let me know if they balanced/level appropriate and if they would be too abusable by magic secrets.

Elemental Spellcasting
Level: 5
Casting Time : 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
A creature you touch deals additional elemental dmg with their spells. Choose a damage type: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder. For the duration when the creature casts a spell, each target that takes dmg from the the spell, receives 1d10 additional dmg of the type specified.

Double Cast
Level: 5
Casting Time : 1 Action
Range: Special
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
When you cast this spell you may mimic the effects of 2 spells you know or have prepared of 4th level or lower as if you had cast each separately. Each spell consumes material components as normal and each requires concentration separately as required in the spells description.

Edit: Changed Elemental spellcasting to reflect discussion.

arrowed
2016-09-06, 01:06 PM
You can only concentrate on one spell at once, and besides that Double Cast seems to be basically a double-strength Wish limited to level 4 or lower spells you can cast. I think it also borders on the sorcerer's metamagic territory. Sorry, it just seems to break a lot of unwritten rules to me. :smallfrown:
On the other hand elemental spellcasting seems good. It has a long duration, but it's concentration and a 5th level slot, so that's probably fair. Regarding the extra damage, would it affect every target that takes damage from a spell like fireball? Would it follow the half-damage-on-a-save rule for fireball, but still be full damage on a hit, none on a miss if used with firebolt? Is the damage added to every ray of scorching ray? I think it has potential, but maybe needs a bit more development on how it interacts with other spells. :smallsmile:

clash
2016-09-06, 01:19 PM
You can only concentrate on one spell at once, and besides that Double Cast seems to be basically a double-strength Wish limited to level 4 or lower spells you can cast. I think it also borders on the sorcerer's metamagic territory. Sorry, it just seems to break a lot of unwritten rules to me. :smallfrown:
On the other hand elemental spellcasting seems good. It has a long duration, but it's concentration and a 5th level slot, so that's probably fair. Regarding the extra damage, would it affect every target that takes damage from a spell like fireball? Would it follow the half-damage-on-a-save rule for fireball, but still be full damage on a hit, none on a miss if used with firebolt? Is the damage added to every ray of scorching ray? I think it has potential, but maybe needs a bit more development on how it interacts with other spells. :smallsmile:

The intention of Elemental Spellcasting is that it applies to a single dmg roll per turn. So in the case of fireball it would affect all the creatures, in the case of scorching ray only the first ray would receive the extra damage. there is a lot of ambiguous cases though I realize. What about changing it to:

For the duration when the creature casts a spell, each target that takes dmg from the the spell, receives 1d10 additional dmg of the type specified.

This would be keyed off spellcasting. So it can damage multiple creatures but only the same one once and it is not affected by saves. Do you think this would be completely unambiguous?

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 01:20 PM
As pointed out, double cast has a few power issues, especially with regards to concentration.

Elemental spellcasting at first glance looked ok, but then it became apparent that it has interations with spells like moonbeam and spirit guardians that might not be intended. Once per turn as a limit is fine for spells that do damage on the caster's turn. When one per turn happens a number of times equal to the number of enemies you face this spell could be doing up to 7d10 damage per round, maybe even more sometimes.

clash
2016-09-06, 01:52 PM
As pointed out, double cast has a few power issues, especially with regards to concentration.

Elemental spellcasting at first glance looked ok, but then it became apparent that it has interations with spells like moonbeam and spirit guardians that might not be intended. Once per turn as a limit is fine for spells that do damage on the caster's turn. When one per turn happens a number of times equal to the number of enemies you face this spell could be doing up to 7d10 damage per round, maybe even more sometimes.

I think this case would be handled as well with this text:
For the duration when the creature casts a spell, each target that takes dmg from the the spell, receives 1d10 additional dmg of the type specified.

As the extra damage only triggers when the creature casts the spell. I think I will update to this.

MrStabby
2016-09-06, 01:55 PM
Maybe something like:

Select an element type. Whenever the target of the spell deals damage to an enemy with a spell you may use your reaction to deal d10 damage of the chosen type to the recipient of the spells damage.

Possibly up the die to a d12 to compensate for loss of the reaction?