PDA

View Full Version : Seeing is Believing:Fighting Blind

Neko
2007-07-07, 08:59 PM
Okay I've often thought about this and wondered how it would work... what feats or customizations to a char would be needed to make a character that is blind. I'd like to make like a fighter or something that is blind but can still fight somehow.

Skjaldbakka
2007-07-07, 09:03 PM
There's not a lot of effective ways to do this- especially since fighter already has lots of vulnerablities. There is blind fight and the better version that gives you 5ft' blindsight. I am assuming that Grimlock is not really what you are trying for here.

Neko
2007-07-07, 09:10 PM
There's not a lot of effective ways to do this- especially since fighter already has lots of vulnerablities. There is blind fight and the better version that gives you 5ft' blindsight. I am assuming that Grimlock is not really what you are trying for here.

well fighter probably wont be the class just ment might be slightly melee like. And yeah not playing a grimlock though if I remember right it kind of has an ability like what I'd want

Dhavaer
2007-07-07, 09:14 PM
Blindfight, Hear the Unseen and Hearing the Air would all be useful. I'd suggest making a Swordsage, but they don't get Listen for some reason.

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-07, 10:01 PM
Blindfight, Hear the Unseen and Hearing the Air would all be useful. I'd suggest making a Swordsage, but they don't get Listen for some reason.

Swordsages do. They don't get spot, but that wouldn't matter to a blind person. There are also 2 Psionc powers(touchsight and Synthense) that give you alternate forms of sight.

Aximili
2007-07-07, 10:15 PM
The most important thing you need to play a blind character is an excuse to why your blindness can't be healed. Otherwise, the day your party cleric shows up with regeneration, your entire style goes down the drain.

Where is this hearing the air from?

MeklorIlavator
2007-07-07, 10:16 PM
Where is this hearing the air from?
It from The Tome of Battle, in the diamond mind section.

Lemur
2007-07-07, 10:23 PM
Quick Reconnoiter (CAdv) might also be useful. Making a character based on grappling may also be a way to cut down on battlefield confusion due to blindness.

Aximili
2007-07-07, 10:36 PM
Also, I suggest the feat Keen-eared scout, from PHB2. The best way to know stuff that even the sighted don't.

Sornjss Lichdom
2007-07-07, 10:43 PM
talk to ur DM and say that ur char had them lost in a ritual to his dark god, givin him blind-sense thang for 30ft.

or hav them been put out by a dark god in a ritual u were forced into after being captured, then having vowed to defeat all the followers of that god to your god, ur god gives you the power to do this.

its not wat u were talkin about but its an intrestin hook.

Maerok
2007-07-07, 10:51 PM
A subrace that was born without eyes to begin with?

Quietus
2007-07-08, 02:21 AM
Okay I've often thought about this and wondered how it would work... what feats or customizations to a char would be needed to make a character that is blind. I'd like to make like a fighter or something that is blind but can still fight somehow.

I'm running a blind monk in a game I have going, but I rolled low and he's about as sub-optimal as can be, even before the blindness. However, here's a few things to keep in mind :

If you're going for permanently blind, talk to your DM and try to work something out in return. All I could get out of mine was blind-fight for free, and I'm starting at level 1. Rather a pain, particularly given my poor rolls, but meh. Remember that Remove Blindness and Regenerate both give saves, which you should take full advantage of - fluffwise, whenever someone suggest some way of fixing my character's eyes, he gets snotty with them, explains that he's had people try and fix it before and it's never worked, and frankly, they can take their fixes and shove it. On the one occasion someone tried to force it on him, the DM first had them make a caster level check (houseruled thing to make it tougher to remove the blindness; Basically, treating it like a dispel magic attempt against the spell that blinded me), and if that had passed, I would've made the save.

In terms of how to alter your stuff; Depending on your DM, you might be able to convince him to give you some benefit in exchange for your lack of sight, so long as it's established beforehand that you can't regain your sight by DM Fiat for whatever reason. The most I'd push for is 30 foot blindsight; I'm fairly certain, however, there's a feat out there somewhere that gives you the ability to take a move action and gain the benefits of tremorsense for a round. There's also Blindsight, 5-foot Radius which I believe is in sword and fist - requires blind-fight as a prerequisite, though, and I think it had a wis requirement. But like I said, a decently lenient DM might give it to you for free. If you're lucky, they'll even negate the -4 penalty on all str/dex based checks since you CAN see 5 feet around you with the feat.

Attilargh
2007-07-08, 02:28 AM
Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm), the psionic power for every blind warrior! Just get someone to make you a hat or headband or whatever of that, and you're set.

Neko
2007-07-23, 05:14 PM
so what is the swordsage from?

ZeroNumerous
2007-07-23, 05:23 PM
Tome of Battle.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-07-23, 07:37 PM
Assuming you're not using Tome of Everyone's Answer to Everything; the only decent way (other than being extremely underpowered) would be to have some sort of houserule allowing you to have blindsense or sight.

In the 3.0 DMG there was a suggested variant by which Half-Orcs could take Scent as a feat.

Otherwise; you can take a level in Sorcerer and hope your DM is generous in determining that your "Empathic Link" with your familiar allows you to act based on Cute Shoulder Dragon's empathing. Squawk, Five O'Clock, Squawk.

Seffbasilisk
2007-07-23, 07:52 PM
Didn't the blind Ranger from R.A. Salvatore's books do something similar with his animal companion? Mentollo or whatnot? 'Hoot!' *twang!* *thunk!*

Starsinger
2007-07-23, 08:44 PM
Assuming you're not using Tome of Everyone's Answer to Everything; the only decent way (other than being extremely underpowered) would be to have some sort of houserule allowing you to have blindsense or sight.

In the 3.0 DMG there was a suggested variant by which Half-Orcs could take Scent as a feat.

Otherwise; you can take a level in Sorcerer and hope your DM is generous in determining that your "Empathic Link" with your familiar allows you to act based on Cute Shoulder Dragon's empathing. Squawk, Five O'Clock, Squawk.

If everything else (well almost) melee didn't suck, it wouldn't be the answer to everything.

I second Psychic Warrior with Synesthete.