PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Boon companion and prestige class pre reqs

Origomar
2016-09-06, 06:56 PM
some prestige classes require a certain effective level of animal companion and boon companion reads.

The abilities of your animal companion or familiar are calculated as though your class were 4 levels higher, to a maximum effective druid level equal to your character level. If you have more than one animal companion or familiar, choose one to receive this benefit. If you lose or dismiss an animal companion or familiar that has received this benefit, you may apply this feat to the replacement creature.

the PRC's usually read "Animal companion class feature with an effective druid level of xth or mount class feature progresses as an animal companion with an effective druid level of 6th."

Someone was saying that it does not allow you to meet the prereq's because just "the abilities are calculated as though", but the part where it says "to a maximum effective druid level equal to your CL" sort of implies that you are changing the creatures effective druid level.

Would boon companion allow you to meet a prereq for a prestige class?

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-06, 08:26 PM
Any reading that does not read "4 levels higher" as an increase to "effective druid level" is also a reading that allows Boon Companion to push the level used to calculate animal companion abilities above your character level. This means any such reading is worth discarding offhand, because it's blatantly wrong. Boon companion allows you to meet prerequisites requiring certain effective druid levels.

Coidzor
2016-09-06, 11:15 PM
What PrCs even have X level animal companions as a prerequisite, by the by?

Origomar
2016-09-06, 11:24 PM
What PrCs even have X level animal companions as a prerequisite, by the by?

mammoth rider. Theres also 3.5 edition ones and i think atleast one more pathfinder one but i cant remember them off the top of my head.

Psyren
2016-09-07, 08:26 AM
MR specifically references effective druid levels in its requirements. This not only allows Boon Companion, this allows access using things that aren't even actual druids, like a class with VMC Druid or Animal Ally, to qualify.