PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Does help effect spell attacks?

dj543210
2016-09-07, 12:04 AM
Does the in combat help action to help an ally gain advantage on attack rolls effect? For example, if an ally used the help action on a goblin, do you then gain advantage when casting Fire Bolt on said goblin?

Also is there any disadvantage for shooting into melee rule? I haven't seen one.

djreynolds
2016-09-07, 12:50 AM
Yes, ranged attacks, spells included are subject to the 5ft rule.

So you can use crossbow expert for this, the middle section.

You can be helped with any spell attack as well, and can crit with a firebolt.

Cantrips are awesome, just have shocking grasp which is melee spell attack or sacred flame, which is save or suck for melee

I hope this helps

Ruslan
2016-09-07, 12:55 AM
Also is there any disadvantage for shooting into melee rule? I haven't seen one.There is no disadvantage for shooting into melee, however other combatants may provide cover to the target. For example, if the combatants are lined like this:

A BC

And A attempts to shoot C, B happens to provide cover to C. Therefore, C will gain +2 AC against A's ranged attack.

dj543210
2016-09-07, 01:00 AM
Thanks so much.

Elminster298
2016-09-07, 01:00 AM
Yes, ranged attacks, spells included are subject to the 5ft rule.

So you can use crossbow expert for this, the middle section.

You can be helped with any spell attack as well, and can crit with a firebolt.

Cantrips are awesome, just have shocking grasp which is melee spell attack or sacred flame, which is save or suck for melee

I hope this helps

Not sure if OP was asking about "disadvantage for casting attack spell IN melee" or "casting attack spell INTO melee" but to clarify, but both situations follow the same rules as ranged attacks in both situations regarding disadvantage, cover, and feats/class features that negate such modifiers.

Madbox
2016-09-07, 06:29 AM
For shooting into melee from a distance, depending on how the shot lines up the target may have partial cover because an ally is in the way.

Ruslan
2016-09-07, 11:02 AM
For shooting into melee from a distance, depending on how the shot lines up the target may have partial cover because an ally is in the way.
Doesn't matter if it's an ally or an enemy. As long as there's someone between the shooter and the target, the target has cover for +2 AC.