PDA

View Full Version : Shattered World [Setting] New Spells

WizardofOwls
2007-07-07, 10:27 PM
(A Note To Moderators: I was not sure whether to put this here or in the Spell section. If this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move it wherever you feel it would be more appropriate.)

Hello!

For those of you have not read my other threads, I am working on a Homebrew setting in which the world has been shattered into 1000 floating islands called shards. Transport from shard to shard is acheived by flying ships called windriggers.

I have some ideas for some new spells which would be unique to my world. I've never created any new spells before so I would like to get your advice on some these, as in what level they should be, duration, etc. Any help you could offer would be GREATLY appreciated!

Spells:

Forcebridge: This spell would allow the caster to create a bridge of magical force that would allow characters to walk/ride across to another shard. Shards are never closer that 1 mile to each other, so the forcebridge would have to last long enough to allow party to cross. It could possibly even disappear behind the party as they advance, thus preventing being followed.

Magic Boat: This would create a small magical flying boat which would carry caster and others from one shard to another.

Magic Ship: This would create a large ship capable of transporting many people as well as cargo.

Locate Shard: This would allow the caster to locate any shard he or she knows the name of, regarless of where it is.

Identify Shard: This would allow the caster to know the name of any shard he can see, unless the name has been magically hidden in some way.

Shard Lore: This would allow the caster to know the history and other interesting details of a shard he can see.

Hide/Obscure Shard: This would make a shard invisible to anyone who was not actually on the shard upon which it was cast.

Bind Shards: This would bind two shards so that they would remain within one mile of each other for the duration of the spell. Could create a "Permanent Binding" too.

Move Shard: This would allow the caster to actually steer the shard in a direction of his choosing for the duration of the spell.

Close Borders: This would allow a caster to close the borders of a shard, creating a sphere of force around the shard which would prevent anyone from entering or leaving the shard for the duration of the spell. This is similar to the Ravenloft power.

Tenser's Superior Disk: This advanced verson of Tenser's Floating Disk would create a disk of force capable of carrying the caster and others from one shard to another.

Winged Mount: This improved version of the Mount spell would summon a flying mount (pegasus/hippogriff/asperii).

Any other suggestions for new spells would also be welcomed. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

nooblade
2007-07-07, 11:08 PM
Forcebridge might be too similar to wall of force (I think it could be used as a bridge), Winged Mount fits in-between Phantom Steed and Mount nicely but might be superfluous, and I bet a "shard" might simply count as a magical item, even though it looks like it would be larger, so Magical Aura and Locate Object would be similar to the spells you already have (they might be artifacts, not magic items though).

I don't have many ideas for that setting, but I'm curious what others will think of.

Move Earth might be overpowered in such a setting.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-08, 08:38 PM
Forcebridge: This spell would allow the caster to create a bridge of magical force that would allow characters to walk/ride across to another shard. Shards are never closer than 1 mile to each other, so the Forcebridge would have to last long enough to allow a party to cross. It could possibly even disappear behind the party as they advance, thus preventing being followed.
● Larger and longer-lasting than wall of force
● Forcebridge might be too similar to wall of force (I think it could be used as a bridge)

Magic Boat: This would create a small magical flying boat which would carry caster and others from one shard to another.
● Magic Boat could work
● like Overland Flight, but affect multiple creatures.

Magic Ship: This would create a large ship capable of transporting many people as well as cargo.
● With the windriggers, I think that Magic Ship is unnecessary as well as being somewhat clunky to work with.
● like Overland Flight, but affect multiple creatures.

Locate Shard: This would allow the caster to locate any shard he or she knows the name of, regardless of where it is.
● Locate and Identify Shard are probably the best new spells of the bunch.
● I bet a "shard" might simply count as a magical item, even though it looks like it would be larger, so Magical Aura and Locate Object would be similar to the spells you already have (they might be artifacts, not magic items though).

Identify Shard: This would allow the caster to know the name of any shard he can see, unless the name has been magically hidden in some way.
● Locate and Identify Shard are probably the best new spells of the bunch.

Shard Lore: This would allow the caster to know the history and other interesting details of a shard he can see.
● Shard Lore I disagree with, that's what Bardic Knowledge is for.
● You might want a more powerful version of Shard Lore, which gives the caster not only full knowledge of the Shard's history, but also all relevant information on the Shard key. It doesn't have to say what, where etc, about the Shard Key, but it could give hints about it.

Hide/Obscure Shard: This would make a shard invisible to anyone who was not actually on the shard upon which it was cast.
● The Hide/Obscure Shard should have the shard-key as the focus, so that a random mage can't hide a shard from it's master.
● For Hide/Obscure Shard, you might want to make the shard key the focus component.
● Holy crap. Invis for an entire continent?
● Hide/Obscure Shard should probably be at least 8th level because it represents a major change to the world, possibly even a permanent one. It should also have a costly component and/or a high XP cost.
● If it makes the shard invisible, then it should be epic, but if it only conceals against divination I can see it being an 8th or 9th level spell.

Bind Shards: This would bind two shards so that they would remain within one mile of each other for the duration of the spell. Could create a "Permanent Binding" too.
● Bind Shards should be very high level/probably Epic, since I doubt it happens often. It might work for the smaller shards better, so some sort of scaling XP and/or spell component cost based on size would be in order.
● Bind Shards should probably be at least 8th level because it represents a major change to the world, possibly even a permanent one. It should also have a costly component and/or a high XP cost.

Move Shard: This would allow the caster to actually steer the shard in a direction of his choosing for the duration of the spell.
● Move Shard should be very high level/probably Epic, since I doubt it happens often. It might work for the smaller shards better, so some sort of scaling XP and/or spell component cost based on size would be in order.
● For Move Shard, you might want to make the shard key the focus component.
● You're just asking for the players to drop a nation on the BBEG's lair.
● Move Shard should probably be at least 8th level because it represents a major change to the world, possibly even a permanent one. It should also have a costly component and/or a high XP cost.
● Move shard. Definitely Epic.

Close Borders: This would allow a caster to close the borders of a shard, creating a sphere of force around the shard which would prevent anyone from entering or leaving the shard for the duration of the spell. This is similar to the Ravenloft power.
● Close Borders should have the shard-key as the focus, so that a random mage can't hide a shard from it's master.
● Close Borders should probably be at least 8th level because it represents a major change to the world, possibly even a permanent one. It should also have a costly component and/or a high XP cost.

Tenser's Superior Disk: This advanced version of Tenser's Floating Disk would create a disk of force capable of carrying the caster and others from one shard to another.
● Tenser's Superior Disk is a maybe

Winged Mount: This improved version of the Mount spell would summon a flying mount (pegasus / hippogriff / asperii).
● Winged Mount sounds good
● Winged Mount fits in-between Phantom Steed and Mount nicely but might be superfluous Possible New Spells:
● a spell that allows the caster to walk on the underside of a shard as if it was the top side
●Why?
● a detect shard key spell
●It would have to be high level, 8th or 9th, as it has some abuse potential
● You might want a more powerful version of Shard Lore, which gives the caster not only full knowledge of the Shard's history, but also all relevant information on the Shard key. It doesn't have to say what, where etc, about the Shard Key, but it could give hints about it.
● another good one would be Shard Gate or something that allows gates on 2 shards to be permanently linked so that there can be instantaneous travel as long as both gates are open.
●Teleport without error could do it as a spell and you could make a magic item with it. Using regular teleport could have unfortunate consequences

Perhaps you could make artifacts that are permanently attached to the ground which can have spells cast into them that they then transform into the inter-shard variants of those spells.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-09, 03:30 PM
It is similar to wall of force, but this bridge would have to be at least a mile in length....

WizardofOwls
2007-07-13, 04:52 AM
I was looking through the Stormwrack book and found a spell called Mordenkainen's Capable Caravel which creates a magic ship for water travel. It is a Sorc/Wiz 8 spell. So would a flying version be level 9? Or should it remain level 8?

WizardofOwls
2007-07-13, 11:00 AM

I am going to separate this into two spells:

Hide Shard: This would make a shard invisible to anyone who was not actually on the shard upon which it was cast.

Obscure Shard: This spell makes a shard undetectable by any means, including magical scrying or by natural homing instincts, like those of dragons and Twyll (Halflings).

WizardofOwls
2007-07-17, 12:32 PM
Okay everyone, this is my first ever attempt at creating a new spell. Please let me know what I need to do to make this good.

Locate Shard
Divination
Level: Clr 4, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Unlimited
Target: One shard
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

You sense the current location of a shard in relation to your current location. An Obscure Shard spell will prevent you from discerning this information.
To locate a shard with this spell, its name must be known.

Sources: Discern Location, Locate Object, Locate Creature

Umarth
2007-07-17, 01:15 PM
Do shards have specific immutable names? If not what name do they have to know?

WizardofOwls
2007-07-17, 03:40 PM
Many have specific names. Many, however, do not. Not sure what to do about those that do not.

Several shards have their names hidden magically, such as Magus (the graveyard shard for magical items the Guild has deemed too powerful for use) and Elvandar (home-shard of the elves). One shard, Ostoria, which was the origianl capital city of the Dwarven Empire, seems to have undergone a name change, because it can't be found by that name!

Umarth
2007-07-18, 11:07 AM
Many have specific names. Many, however, do not. Not sure what to do about those that do not.

I think I wasn't very clear. If shards have names in this fasion that implies that there is a "true" language where things have a specific name.

If your world has multiple languages how do these spells work. Do the elves, dwarves, dragons, and rolly-pollyies all call each shard the same thing?

WizardofOwls
2007-07-19, 08:01 PM
Hello again! A friend of mine on another site, who calls himself LeadPal designed a version of the Forcebridge spell for me. I am still new to 3e, so I was wandering if you guys would look at it for me and tell me if its okay. Here it is...

Rainbow Bridge
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: Bridge up to 5 ft. wide/level and 1/4 mile long/level
Duration: see text

A rainbow bridge spell creates a horizontal plane of force of any colouration that slowly extends from one shard to another. The bridge cannot be moved from its position relative to the two shards it connects, it is immune to damage of all kinds, and it is unaffected by most spells, including dispel magic. However, disintegrate immediately destroys it, as does a rod of cancellation, a sphere of annihilation, or a mage’s disjunction spell. Breath weapons and spells cannot pass through the wall in either direction, although dimension door, teleport, and similar effects can bypass the barrier. It blocks ethereal creatures as well as material ones, supporting an infinite amount of weight without being damaged. Gaze attacks can operate through a rainbow bridge.

The spell immediately stabilizes the motion of the two shards it connects for its duration, making the question of its viability only one of distance. When cast, the bridge slowly extends from its origin at 20 feet per round, until it reaches the target shard or until it can travel no further. At this point, the bridge begins to vanish at the other end at the same rate. (If the bridge is followed to the end and is discovered to not reach all of the way, the caster most likely has a very serious problem.)

This spell does not protect against any hazards that may present themselves on the journey across, most notably high winds on the Ways.

Although the spell can be of any colouration the caster wishes, a vivid rainbow of seven colours has become a popular cliche amongst the few mages that can cast it, and it is from this that the spell takes its name.

Material Component: A fire opal with a value of 500 gp per mile of distance between the shards. Unlike most spells, rainbow bridge can be cast without its material component, but this prevents the shards from being stabilized and it is very likely that the bridge will end in mid-air.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-20, 09:48 PM
I intended today to write a spell that would summon a winged mount. I looked through the source books I have (which aren’t many) and 4 comparable spells:

Mount (PHB) Conj/Sum Sor/Wiz 1
Fly (PHB) Trans. Sor/Wiz 3 Travel 3
Phantom Steed (PHB) Conj/Creat. Bard 3 Sor/Wiz 3
Winged Mount (Comp. Div) Trans. Blackguard 4 Paladin 4

Mount summons a land based mount. Fly gives the caster the ability to fly. Phantom Steed conjures a quasi-real horse-like creature. At 14th level the caster can make it fly. Winged Mount causes an existing mount to sprout wings.

I thought with Phantom Steed and Winged Mount that there would be no need to create a new. Then I looked a little deeper. A Phantom Steed lasts for 1 hour/level. Not bad, but it only has average maneuverability, and since the caster cannot make it fly until 14th level, that makes it the equivalent of a 7th level spell. Winged Mount, which is 4th level only lasts 10 min/level! Not very practical for inter-shard travel! And in addition, it can only be used by Blackguards and paladins!

So maybe I do need to write a spell. I looked at schools. Two of the spells, are Transmutations and have terrible durations. Fly only lasts 1 min/level and Winged Mount only lasts 10 min/level. On the other hand, Phantom Steed, a Conjuration/Summoning, lasts1 hour/level, and Mount, a Conjuration/Creation, lasts two hours/level.

So what I need is a Conjuration/Summoning that summons an aerial mount (pegasus / hippogriff / asperii) which lasts at least an hour per caster level, and can be used by Sorcerors and wizards. Opinions? Advice?

YPU
2007-07-21, 01:10 PM
the first guideline you could use is looking up the chalange rating of the creatures you want to be summoned. Then look up what summon monster spell summons monsters of about that level. Also, look if there are any similar creatures in the list already.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-22, 09:42 AM
Here's another new spell I wrote. Check it over for me and tell me what you think, okay?

Identify Shard
Divination
Clr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Range: Sight
Duration: Instantaneous

The spell reveals the name of a single shard which the caster must be able to see. An Obscure Shard spell will prevent the caster from discerning this information.

Source: Identify

jindra34
2007-07-22, 10:00 AM
Here's another new spell I wrote. Check it over for me and tell me what you think, okay?

Identify Shard
DivinationClr 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S
Range: Sight
Duration: Instantaneous

The spell reveals the name of a single shard which the caster must be able to see. An Obscure Shard spell will prevent the caster from discerning this information.

Source: Identify

Looks good. Though i think a high level wizard might be able to see through the obscuring of a low level wizard. Think on that.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-28, 07:42 PM
One of the rules of my world is that some of the humaoid races - specfically orcs, ogres, goblins, hobgoblins and kobolds - are not true races. They are normal people of various races who have been transformed - corrupted - by magic into these new forms to serve the Nameless One. What I need is a spell that would do this. Of course only those of evil alignment would use such a spell.

I have found two similar spells which could be useful to base it on: Create Darkenbeast and Create Chosen One. Both are 5th level spells. Would my Corrupt spell be 5th level or should I make it higher? And what about a Mass Corruption which the evil ones could use to transform more than one at a time?

I'm not sure the title of the book these spells are in... I think it's the Magic of Faerun. The spell would be permanent (unless some magical means of reversing it is found), and the victim would become evil.

I'd love to hear your opinions on this.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-29, 07:15 PM
Okay... what do you think of these?

Corrupt
Transformation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M (One helpless being)
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Touch
Target: One helpless being
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell transforms one helpless being into a monstrous humanoid. The type of humanoid is determined by the victim’s race:

Twyll (Halfling) - Kobold
Gnome - Orc
Dwarf - Goblin
Elf - Hobgoblin
Human - Ogre

The victim’s alignment becomes evil and all previous memories are erased. These changes are permanent unless reversed by some means. A Will save negates the effects. This spell can only be cat by an evil character.

Sources: Create Darkenbeast, Create Chosen One

Mass Corruption
Transformation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Target: Up to 10 helpless beings

This spell is identical to the 6th level spell Corrupt in all ways except that it can be used to affect up to 10 helpless beings.

jindra34
2007-07-29, 07:22 PM
Okay... what do you think of these?

Corrupt
Transformation [Evil]
Saving Throw: Will negates

This spell transforms one helpless being into a monstrous humanoid. The type of humanoid is determined by the victim’s race:

Gnome - Orc
Dwarf - Goblin
Elf - Hobgoblin
Human - Ogre

The victim’s alignment becomes evil and all previous memories are erased. These changes are permanent unless reversed by some means. A Will save negates the effects. This spell can only be cast by an evil character.

Mass Corruption
Transformation [Evil]
Target: Up to 10 helpless beings

This spell is identical to the 6th level spell Corrupt in all ways except that it can be used to affect up to 10 helpless beings.
I would say for the second one up to CL/2 helpless beings.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-29, 08:13 PM
Thanks Jindra! I nave updated the spells to reflect the changes you suggested as well as changes some others have suggested. Here are the new versions:

Corrupt
Transformation [Evil]
Saving Throw: Fort / Will saves negate changes

Gnome - Goblin
Dwarf - Hobgoblin
Elf - Orc
Human - Ogre

The victim’s alignment becomes evil and all previous memories are erased. These changes are permanent unless reversed by some means. A Fortitude save negates physical changes, and a Will save negates the mental ones. This spell can only be cat by an evil character.

Mass Corruption
Transformation [Evil]
Target: Up to CL/2 helpless beings

This spell is identical to the 6th level spell Corrupt in all ways except that it can be used to affect up to half the caster's level in helpless beings.

WizardofOwls
2007-07-31, 11:23 AM
Any Comments?

Yakk
2007-07-31, 12:22 PM
I'd lower the casting level of corrupt -- I'd want low level cultists to be able to cast it.

Ritual of Lesser Corruption
Transformation [Evil]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 6 hours
Saving Throw: Will or Fort negates

This spell transforms one helpless being with at most 1 HD into a monstrous humanoid. The type of humanoid is determined by the victim’s race:

Gnome - Goblin
Dwarf - Hobgoblin
Elf - Orc
Human - Ogre

The victim’s alignment becomes evil and all previous memories are erased. These changes are permanent. The victim can make a fort. or a will save to negate the transformation.

Material Components:
One helpless being who is being cast on could be considered a material component.

In addition, a race-specific preparation that costs 25 gp per HD of the creature corrupted must be created. Knowledge of this spell also includes knowledge of how to prepare the corruption preparation for the above races.

Ritual of Corruption
As Lesser Ritual of Corruption, except:
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Target: One or more helpless beings

Up to 2 casters Ritual of Lesser Corruption may be used to support the casting of this spell. This spell can corrupt 1 HD of helpless being for every 2 caster levels supporting the ritual, divided among as many targets as one chooses.

Ritual of Great Corruption
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Target: One helpless being per level of the caster

Up to 2 casters of Ritual of Corruption may be used to support this spell. Each helpless being can have up to 1 HD for every 2 caster levels supporting the ritual.

Ritual of Unstoppable Corruption
Level: Sor/Wiz 7
Spell Resistance: None

Up to 2 casters of Ritual of Great Corruption may be used to support this spell. The sole target can have up to 1 HD for every 2 caster levels supporting the ritual.

Ritual of Ultimate Corruption
As Ritual of Unstoppable Corruption, except:
Target: One or more helpless beings

No other casters can be used to support this spell. The targets must have at most 2 HD for every caster level.

Note that it may be possible to corrupt other races, but the corruption preparations must be researched for each race, and could involve unique ingredients.