PDA

View Full Version : Point Buy and Magic blooded template

Coretron03
2016-09-07, 04:09 AM
Heres the deal, i saw the magic blooded template, semms pretty good with its bonuses.
For this question the template is just a example, because it has +2 charisma and -2 wisdom
If i was using 32 point buy and had
str 10
con 14
dex 14
int 14
wis 10
cha 16
that seems fine
But if i add the magic blooded template i have the same but
cha 18
wisdom 8
if i dropped cha by 2(giving 4 points)
Then use the points to in rease wisdom by 4 i end up with better wisdom then before getting the template/ better other stats by increasing wisdom by 2 then something else increase gives me better stats then i stated with
Is this correct? This seems kind of odd, giving a better wisdom score with a wisdom penalty template. This could be used for all templates with simliar stat changes. Is this legal and/or a bit cheesy or just good use of point buy?

Thanks in advance

Thurbane
2016-09-07, 05:04 AM
Point buy is calculated before racial, template or any other mods are applied. You calculate the point buy from the base scores purchased, then add mods afterwards.

Coretron03
2016-09-07, 05:44 AM
Point buy is calculated before racial, template or any other mods are applied. You calculate the point buy from the base scores purchased, then add mods afterwards.

Thats my point, you do your pointbuy then add the bonuses so you get those stats if you plan your pointbuy right, what you said is what i was assuming

CozJa
2016-09-07, 05:57 AM
Yes, it is done in this way and it is normal.

Raising stats to 17-18 with point-buy can be problematic, because you have to spend a lot of points. Templates are one of the things that can help in this, but no more than everything else.

You look perplexed because you are talking about a template, but that's not different than... playing a star elf, wich gives you +2Cha -2Con

Thurbane
2016-09-07, 06:49 AM
I must not have been understanding the OP correctly.

Yes, it's "cheaper" to get an 18 in point buy if you have racial mods to boost a score, meaning you have more points to spend elsewhere.

As PMCozJa points out, in this regard a template works no differently than a race with racial mods. Plenty of LA +0 races have +2 to one stat and -2 to another.

You'd have exactly same situation with a Dwarf buying an 18 Con - he'd have more points to spend elsewhere, and could in fact boost his Cha with these points if he wanted.

Coretron03
2016-09-07, 04:38 PM
I must not have been understanding the OP correctly.

Yes, it's "cheaper" to get an 18 in point buy if you have racial mods to boost a score, meaning you have more points to spend elsewhere.

As PMCozJa points out, in this regard a template works no differently than a race with racial mods. Plenty of LA +0 races have +2 to one stat and -2 to another.

You'd have exactly same situation with a Dwarf buying an 18 Con - he'd have more points to spend elsewhere, and could in fact boost his Cha with these points if he wanted.

That makes sense, just though it was weird a +2 and-2 template could give higher then you started with on the negitive but i was just confused, and though it was a bigger deal, sorry

Lorddenorstrus
2016-09-07, 04:56 PM
You can jack strength to mid 30s with template stacking easily.. I don't understand why "more easily attaining" 18 is such a huge deal. Dude, that's nothing. lol.

Strigon
2016-09-07, 05:30 PM
It is, in a vacuum, better to do things that way, but there are other considerations as well. A few extra points in character generation - while nice - are ultimately small potatoes compared to some of the interesting racial or templated abilities that you can get.

Thurbane
2016-09-07, 10:55 PM
That makes sense, just though it was weird a +2 and-2 template could give higher then you started with on the negitive but i was just confused, and though it was a bigger deal, sorry

Don't be sorry, it's a perfectly valid observation. :smallsmile:

weckar
2016-09-08, 06:37 AM
Listen to Thurbane; even his avatar looks wise.