PDA

View Full Version : NPC creation

Rothgar Ironmit
2016-09-07, 07:36 AM
Hey guys Im wanting to create a NPC for my game this monday who the party will discover as a statue (petrified) and I want him to be intresting.
The Detail's: The party excavate a cavein that they found in a set of ruins in the middle of no where. What I want is for the party to discover the petrified NPC just standing in a awakward position in the middle of the room which will be empty except the skeleton of a basalisk in the corner but I thought it would be fun to see what kind of character you guys would suggest that i use for the said NPC

Huldaerus
2016-09-07, 07:42 AM
A cleric of Tempus. (http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Branwen)

EyethatBinds
2016-09-07, 10:16 AM
A duskblade Medusa
An female Azer Knight
A halfling knight who fights with a spiked chain
A catfolk druid
A shifter(longstrider) monk
A half-fiend kobold favored soul of Bahamut
An orc (male) battle dancer who fights nude

Take your pick.

Tiri
2016-09-07, 10:51 AM
A smarter-than-usual two-headed hydra. It used to live in an abandoned castle (now ruins) with it's childhood friend the basilisk, who had helped it escape from the wizard who had bred them.

Unfortunately, the wizard came after them, because his brother had been petrified in the escape attempt and knocked off a staircase, where his head broke off. The hydra had had three of his heads burnt and chopped off by mercenaries hired by the wizard to help in his revenge when the basilisk got dominated and petrified him.

Upon revival, the two remaining heads start crying over their lost friends Heads #1, #2, #3 and the basilisk. The hydra is a coward, so it doesn't want to pursue revenge, if the wizard still lives.

I don't know why, but I imagine it having levels in a psionic class.

Calthropstu
2016-09-07, 03:10 PM
A nymph, now desperate to return to her tree. Great mini side quest. She can return to her tree to find her possessions missing and she can beg the pcs to find them.

A dwarf who has been stoned for 100 years involved in a political scheme. Maybe a noble and the basilisk was a trap for him to keep him from voting on something.

A cave man from thousands of years ago.

KillianHawkeye
2016-09-07, 04:03 PM
A nymph, now desperate to return to her tree. Great mini side quest.

Nymphs don't live in trees. You're thinking of dryads.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-07, 04:09 PM
A character who volunteered centuries ago to be petrified and entombed as a time capsule for future generations. They huddled into a ball to make it less likely they'd be fatally smashed, and carry with them a sheaf of letters from a long-vanished town's schoolchildren and prominent citizens, along with currency from their own time and a selection of fine gemstones and gold ingots for barter. The volunteer, of course, would have to have been strong enough to survive if unpetrified by hostile creatures, so they could be a suitable cohort for the PCs' level range. As a final protection - and a gift to the future - a number of powerful magic items items were buried in a deep, magically sealed vault, with its location and passwords known only by the traveler. In exchange for help finding the cache and contacting the nearest major settlement, the players will each be rewarded with one prize of their choice from among the vault's riches.

The twist? The traveler was found and picked up by a creature with a penchant for funny statues, and they have since been shuffled from one treasure hoard to the next more than a few times (the basilisk is mere coincidence). This has caused them to be lost for much longer than planned, perhaps well over a thousand years, making the political and geographical features on the traveler's map barely recognizable. The PCs will have a hard time puzzling out where exactly the traveler's home city used to be, and may face opposition from groups who learn of their search and seek to take the buried items - or at least the credit of their discovery - for themselves. Along the way, they learn a thing or two about the past from their new companion, and the traveler learns more than a few things about how the world has changed, both for good and for ill.

Calthropstu
2016-09-07, 04:12 PM
Nymphs don't live in trees. You're thinking of dryads.
yes, so I am.
Either way...

Though it would be funny if it WAS a nymph and they turn her from stone to nymph and are suddenly struck blind.

Rothgar Ironmit
2016-09-07, 04:20 PM
Dang there all so good im not sure which to pick maybe ill do them all and have it similar to the one where the guy. Collects funny statues but he started collecting petrified people

mabriss lethe
2016-09-07, 10:08 PM
I made a character in a campaign a while back with a similar sort of feel. He was an Elan Psion, and he'd been entombed for... a while. He remembered a material plane that existed before the gods, and actually warred against them, quite successfully for a while, until he was betrayed and imprisoned. (now of course, the nature of creation is different and his powers are but a shadow of what they were) No one, including him, knew for sure if what he remembered was actually real or the product of insanity and isolation caused by having been stuck in an oubliette for untold centuries.

One Step Two
2016-09-07, 10:24 PM
When they free him from petrification, they find: Erron Haldrig, the worlds greatest adventurer!
"What do you mean you haven't heard of me!"

Erron Haldrig is a Commoner 1/Survivor 5 who has any luck feats you care to give him, on a totally standard array of stats of 10,10,10,11,11,11. His chosen skills to max are Profession (Adventurer), and Perform (Tall Tales), though giving him the Jack of all trades feat to make him semi-useful is an option.

Erron is an egotistical, accident-prone, cowardly, glory-hound who thinks that he is the single greatest adventurer in the world, and to his credit, he has survived more than he has any right to. He will attempt to show the party "How things are really done!" when they attempt any skills, upto and including talking to "the natives" when he has no known languages other than common. He does however shy away from combat, as he believes "All creatures have a right to life!" as his excuse to run away as fast as possible.

He gladly will use his Perform (tall tales) check in place of any given knowledge skill to conflate facts as desired, "Why of course Orcs are weak to spinach lad, they're both green don't you know!" As well as using it to procure lodgings from his "Admiring fans".

Thurbane
2016-09-08, 01:04 AM
Fake Wizard extraordinaire Rudleight Moonshade!

In reality he's a Human Expert, with skills such as Spellcraft, UMD and Knowledge (arcana) maxed out. He also has skills like Sleight of Hand, Bluff, Disguise etc. to fool people into thinking he's something he is not.

Optionally, he also has feats such as Insightful, Communicator etc. that allow him to use minor spells as SLAs. He relies on these, UMD minor wands, and a lot of bluff and bluster to convince people that he is in reality a powerful mage.

If you don't want him using the SLA feats, load him up on Able Learner, Open Minded, Jack of All Trades etc. to boost his skillmokey potential.

One Step Two
2016-09-08, 01:19 AM
Fake Wizard extraordinaire Rudleight Moonshade!

In reality he's a Human Expert, with skills such as Spellcraft, UMD and Knowledge (arcana) maxed out. He also has skills like Sleight of Hand, Bluff, Disguise etc. to fool people into thinking he's something he is not.

Optionally, he also has feats such as Insightful, Communicator etc. that allow him to use minor spells as SLAs. He relies on these, UMD minor wands, and a lot of bluff and bluster to convince people that he is in reality a powerful mage.

If you don't want him using the SLA feats, load him up on Able Learner, Open Minded, Jack of All Trades etc. to boost his skillmokey potential.

He and Erron would make an awesome travelling duo.

"You dare insult me?" Erron exclaims, "When I have the Mighty Arcanist Rudleight Moonshade by my side no less!"
Rudleight's eyes began to glance furitively side to side as if to make sure there aren't too many witnesses, "Erron... we really ought to-" he said timidly, but was cut off by more boasts.
"Why I think I should have him turn you into a newt just for wasting our time, Or turn you into something truly offensive like topiary of an outhouse!" Erron continued without any care for the looks the town guards were giving them.
Rudleight sighed and pulled out his wand of expeditious retreat, it was going to be another long day.

BWR
2016-09-08, 02:01 AM
Jadis, the White Witch (http://narnia.wikia.com/wiki/Jadis)

Shackel
2016-09-08, 02:18 AM
An extremely buff Mesoamerican-themed vampire monk searching for a jewel that will allow them to ascend and survive even in the sunlight.

Thurbane
2016-09-08, 03:33 AM

"You dare insult me?" Erron exclaims, "When I have the Mighty Arcanist Rudleight Moonshade by my side no less!"
Rudleight's eyes began to glance furitively side to side as if to make sure there aren't too many witnesses, "Erron... we really ought to-" he said timidly, but was cut off by more boasts.
"Why I think I should have him turn you into a newt just for wasting our time, Or turn you into something truly offensive like topiary of an outhouse!" Erron continued without any care for the looks the town guards were giving them.
Rudleight sighed and pulled out his wand of expeditious retreat, it was going to be another long day.

That's awesome! I really want to work these two into my own campaign now. :smallbiggrin:

ace rooster
2016-09-08, 03:49 AM

Never mind want them in my campaign, I want to be that campaign. :smalltongue:

Who said low op couldn't be fun! Mediocre adventures FTW! Seriously, some of the most fun games I've had have been comedies of errors.

One Step Two
2016-09-08, 05:05 AM
That's awesome! I really want to work these two into my own campaign now. :smallbiggrin:

Who said low op couldn't be fun! Mediocre adventures FTW! Seriously, some of the most fun games I've had have been comedies of errors.

I'm going to work them into my next one as well, they're going to be a constant source of information to the party, whether it's accurate or not, well, that depends :smallbiggrin:

Calthropstu
2016-09-08, 06:19 AM
I'm going to work them into my next one as well, they're going to be a constant source of information to the party, whether it's accurate or not, well, that depends :smallbiggrin:

Unless the pcs flat out murder them.

I'd consider it justifiable homocide.

Rothgar Ironmit
2016-09-08, 08:10 AM
I will also be working both of then into my campaign now but in a diffrent way then the petrified bit lol there too good of a pair to not have them

ace rooster
2016-09-08, 11:47 AM
Unless the pcs flat out murder them.

I'd consider it justifiable homocide.

They would be fine, trolls have regeneration. :smallbiggrin:

MindTheGap97
2016-09-08, 08:38 PM

These two remind me of a trio that I used as a comic relief in a Rise of the Runelord game

They were a Human Aristocrat 1/ Rogue 4,

A Half-Elf Expert 1/ Counterfeit Mage 4

And a Gnome Warrior 1/ Fighter 4

They were all built on a 10 point buy and presented themselves to the PCs as a famous group of adventurers.

The Half-Elf used a book filled with scrolls as a substitute for a real spellbook and used to cast Prestidigitation to soil the company's cloths before entering a town just to meke them look more like true adventurers, the Gnome used a way too big Battleaxe made entirely out of wood with just a thin sheet of iron covering the head of the axe and the Rogue simply invented the strangest stories and always had a completely unreliable tip to give the PCs (for example: "It's well known that Goblins can't climb up trees" or "Undeads are much easier to defeat if you wash your hands before the fight, it is because they are afraid of the smell of soap".

I used them as a recurring group of NPCs and they were a blast, plus everytime there was a fight they were nowhere to be found, I sometimes bring them back in my sessions as a cameo

Thurbane
2016-09-08, 11:05 PM
So as not to derail this thread too much further, and also because I thought they deserved a thread of their own:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499985-The-Adventures-of-Erron-Haldrig-amp-Rudleight-Moonshade&p=21184598#post21184598

dascarletm
2016-09-08, 11:27 PM

That would be an awesome game, I'd consider DMing/playing in it. :smallwink:

Calthropstu
2016-09-09, 04:03 AM
They would be fine, trolls have regeneration. :smallbiggrin:

This made me laugh harder than it should have.

Well done.

TheFurith
2016-09-09, 05:58 AM
A dwarf who was sent back two thousand years into the past to stop an evil time traveling wizard from being born. He was sent back directly into a room with a basilisk that had grown too large to use the door and had been eating nothing but rats. Not knowing what a basilisk was as they are extinct in his time (because he killed them all) he decided to try to pet it with disastrous results. He's been petrified for the last two centuries and the evil wizard has died of old age having never been a threat to begin with.

Now begins his epic quest to rid the world of all basilisks for being unpettable bastards.