PDA

View Full Version : Should I take a feat?

NecroDancer
2016-09-07, 08:05 AM
My character is currently a level 6 fiend/tome warlock, I currently my charisma is 18 and I was hoping to raise my charisma to 20 at level 8. However fears are very strong and I have my eye on the lucky feat, so should I raise my charisma up to 20 or take the feat?

The campaign is CoS so it only goes up to level 10 and everyone in my party is a devotion paladin, a light cleric, an arcane tricksters, a monk, and possibly a death cleric (long story there). Thanks for the help.

MrFahrenheit
2016-09-07, 08:16 AM
Probably not yet, but that being said...gonna need a bit more to go on, here: race and stat array?

Alejandro
2016-09-07, 08:17 AM
My character is currently a level 6 fiend/tome warlock, I currently my charisma is 18 and I was hoping to raise my charisma to 20 at level 8. However fears are very strong and I have my eye on the lucky feat, so should I raise my charisma up to 20 or take the feat?

The campaign is CoS so it only goes up to level 10 and everyone in my party is a devotion paladin, a light cleric, an arcane tricksters, a monk, and possibly a death cleric (long story there).

I would maximize your CHA. It is your primary stat, which you will need to use in basically every encounter. Lucky, while a good feat, has no guarantee of being used in every encounter (either because you don't make a poor roll, or because you used up the rerolls for the day already.) Basically, one option is a guaranteed boost at all times, the other is not.

Sirithhyando
2016-09-07, 08:17 AM
No particular reasonning behind it, but i would go to 20 before taking the lucky feat.

A quick read of the level 6 ability of the fiend-lock, i feel it's a weaker part of the lucky feat so you already have a was to play with luck. Though the lucky feat is 3 times per long rest and the ability you already have is once per short rest. Though lucky makes it on more kind of rolls.
The stats is a +1 on your skills based on charisma, a +1 on your attack with spells and a +1 on your difficulty to resist your spells.
Those +1 are a sure thing while rolling a second dice is random and you could get lower.

So, yeah, i'd go with the 20 charisma.

smcmike
2016-09-07, 08:20 AM
Take feats for fun, ASIs for power. In this case, I don't think Lucky will vastly increase your fun.

Citan
2016-09-07, 08:23 AM

The campaign is CoS so it only goes up to level 10 and everyone in my party is a devotion paladin, a light cleric, an arcane tricksters, a monk, and possibly a death cleric (long story there).
Hi!
If you are among the blessed ones (per the Cleric or Paladin) and usually rely on Eldricht Blast, you can do without a 20 in Charisma. So feel free to take the feat if your focus is ensuring a hit or miss 3 times a day. Just remember that the Lucky rolls will not always be usable. So, you need to be lucky to be Lucky if I may say so. ^^

If you prefer being generally better, bump your CHA for +2 damage (+1 damage per Eldricht Blast) and generally slightly better chance to hit/affect.

Both are nearly equal, first focus on specific encounter-changing occasions, second is overall small boost, and... You can always "correct" your choice on the next ASI so the choice really affects only 4 levels. So don't fret too much about this and pick with your intuition. :)

NecroDancer
2016-09-07, 08:34 AM
Cool, thank you all for the advice!

WereRabbitz
2016-09-07, 11:28 AM
I picked up Lucky and while it's hard to see it's value at first, when your in a pinch and Roll a 1 or the DM rolls a 20 and you get to make them re-roll what was a guaranteed death you will instantly love Lucky!

BiPolar
2016-09-07, 11:35 AM
Also, does your DM use fumbles on 1s? AkA is there a real penalty for rolling that one that a lucky really might be worth more than a consistent +1 to attacks and Spell DCs?

Specter
2016-09-07, 11:42 AM
If you have an odd CON, take Resilient. CoS has a lot of CON saves. Otherwise +cha.

brainface
2016-09-07, 11:46 AM
Feats are fun--I'd always have at least one on any character as soon as they can get one, optimized or no.

JAL_1138
2016-09-07, 06:34 PM
Pure caster (no weapon-based combat) is about the only time where I'd consider going featless. You depend far more on your casting stat and spell list than what you can get from a feat; feats can add to your character in a variety of different ways, but aren't as massively important to a build's effectiveness as feats like Polearm Master, Great Weapon Master, Dual-Wielder, Shield Master, Crossbow Expert, or Sharpshooter are for weapon users.