PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a Kobold Totemist build

FuzzyBoF
2016-09-07, 08:51 AM
Hello All! I'm joining a game with 8 players. I want to play a Kobold Totemist because I think it would be fun to RP that. However i don't want to be totally ineffective. I don't need optimized, just not worthless. I need help picking out feats. I'm never good at deciding on feats. I am starting at level 8 and I got 2 flaws. So 5 feats total. So far I have "dragon tail" and "Multiattack". Oh, I'm using the desert Kobold variant with the web enhancement. Planning on full Totemist or 1 level lion barb for pounce then 19 totem.

Thanks for the help!

Inevitability
2016-09-07, 08:54 AM
This uncannily reminds me of a Junkyard Wars build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19033373&postcount=69) I made once. It's not incredibly optimized, but should have some stuff you can work with. Cobalt Charge, for example, may be interesting, just like the Dread Carapace soulmeld.

BowStreetRunner
2016-09-07, 09:38 AM
danzibr's Totemist Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?287304-danzibr-s-Totemist-Handbook)
Sinfire Titan's Totemist Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0)

Telonius
2016-09-07, 10:23 AM
Question for you - is Tome of Battle available? A single level of Swordsage could help the build out significantly (through the Shadow Blade feat). Combine that with Weapon Finesse, and you'll be adding Dex to attack and damage with all of your natural attacks.

FuzzyBoF
2016-09-07, 05:23 PM
Any thing published is allowed. But I don't know ToB at all. Just looked it up though and I don't think it would work. It specifically says "unarmed strike" as preferred weapon. Natural attacks are not unarmed strikes. :( but that does look cool!

I've looked at both of those guides already. But for some reason I just can't decide on feats.

Waker
2016-09-07, 06:02 PM
Considering the large penalty to strength that kobolds get, being a melee fighter may not be your best option. You could try going the archer route and bind Manticore Belt to your totem chakra and have fun launching spines at everything. As a standard action, you make a number of attacks equal to your essentia invested in the meld using your full attack mod, so attacks from higher BAB or feats like Rapid Shot aren't needed. Getting Expanded Soulmeld is pretty much required as a feat.
Instead of taking Barbarian, you might like Scout instead to get that sweet, sweet skirmish damage. If you do that, Improved Skirmish is nice. Shape Soulmeld (Fellmist Robe) would make you a pain to deal with, granting a miss chance to any enemies who try to attack you from a distance.

Big Fau
2016-09-07, 06:24 PM
Any thing published is allowed. But I don't know ToB at all. Just looked it up though and I don't think it would work. It specifically says "unarmed strike" as preferred weapon. Natural attacks are not unarmed strikes. :( but that does look cool!

I've looked at both of those guides already. But for some reason I just can't decide on feats.

ToB's content has favored weapons, yes, but that's only for certain feats. It doesn't matter for the maneuvers/stances. Something like Punishing Stance or Crusader's Stance or Raging Mongoose is really good for a Totemist build, making Warblade or Crusader 1 a very useful dip.

NomGarret
2016-09-07, 09:23 PM
Don't forget Extra Essence. Beyond that, don't commit too much to any one style. Part of the joy of playing with Incarnum, especially in a large group, is being able to switch things up and fill different holes.