PDA

View Full Version : Roycapitation *Spoiler potential*

Charles Phipps
2007-07-08, 01:12 AM
So, who thinks Belkar's suggestion is going to be to cut off Roy's head and carry it around so they can use Resurrection on him? At least until they can get the Mark of Justice off him?

Of course, the problem is that we can assume Belkar might abuse this privilege....

TigerHunter
2007-07-08, 01:53 AM
Finger or even earlobe would be better, since it's easier to carry. But they're going for Raise Dead, I believe.

Demented
2007-07-08, 03:23 AM
And in any case, we don't know if Belkar's sure that it's just Roy's head he needs, or his whole body.

Though, after his recent loss, he may just want the satisfaction of having a nice soft comfort skull.

Ancalagon
2007-07-08, 04:00 AM
It says "Roys Body". Who knows if the head would be enough?

Rhyeira
2007-07-08, 04:07 AM
"It says"? What's "it"?

Ancalagon
2007-07-08, 04:15 AM
There is only one "it" that makes sense: The-Mark-of-Justice-thingie. (At least... as far as we know)

Rhyeira
2007-07-08, 04:18 AM
If I remember correctly, the condition was "not more than a mile from his position", or at least this is how Roy explained it.

Now, "his position" doesn't necessarily have do mean "the position of his whole body".

Ancalagon
2007-07-08, 04:20 AM
Yes, but that also does not mean "... the position of his head". I assume Belkar is not willing to take chances by trying to be extra smart. ;)

Rhyeira
2007-07-08, 04:24 AM
Well, I wouldn't argue about that, but you initially stated "it says 'Roy's body'", which isn't true as far as I remember because I think it said 'Roy's position', not 'Roy's body'.

What exactly is meant by 'Roy's position' is a different story.

Ancalagon
2007-07-08, 04:30 AM
Well, currently it seems to be the same as "Roys more or less intact body"? It comes down to argueing about words, since it actually makes - for the current problem - no difference at all if it is about "position" or "body".

If it (here it would be "position") is about the soul (or whatever it is called), Belkar is lucky that Roy cannot get to the afterlife.

Rhyeira
2007-07-08, 04:32 AM
My point was that one should be careful not to mix up personal assumptions and facts... that's all I was saying.

(And it does make a huge difference since it is crucial to the first poster's suggestion whether the mark of justice is about Roy's whole body or just parts of it.)

Ancalagon
2007-07-08, 04:53 AM
(Yes, but that was not my point.
The problem is if they can cut stuff off the body or not. Since they will not take that risk, it just makes no sense to think about the problem if they could or not. It seems we talk about two different problems at the moment.)

Rhyeira
2007-07-08, 04:57 AM
Yeah, but you didn't initially post about the point you wanted to make, but claimed something to be true which in fact isn't, and that's what I pointed out.

It was only after that initial claim you started to make your point, and I never argued about that. All I was saying was that your initial claim was incorrect.

Regneva
2007-07-08, 05:56 AM
If I were the DM, and "from his position" was the only description I had. I'd have ruled one of 2 options:

1. The "must remain in the radius of Roy's position" property of the Mark of Justice would be "removed" as soon as Roy dies. Therefore leaving Belkar only with the responsibility of not harming any living thing within city borders.

2. If the rule stays, I'd house rule that Belkar should stay within a mile of "Roy's Gravitational Center". That being the summed up geocenter of his body parts. (So If somebody chops Roys body into 2 equal pieces, and one travels directly to West while the other travels to East, Belkar would have to Stay in the middle of the 2 pieces, so "don't move".)

If we rule for the second option. And somebody decides to decapitate Roy. Hmm well lets see. A head is roughly 5 kilograms in weight. Lets say roy is, what, like 90 kilograms? That means the head and the rest of the body has 1-to-17 ratio. So that means Belkar should always stand on the point where the ratio of his distance to Roy's head to his distance to Roy's body should be 1 to 17.

So in other words, Belkar should stay much closer to Roy's body than he should carry his head away. :smalleek:

This is just based on my house ruling of the situation. I'm sure Rich has a different idea (Not entirely this complex) for the plot.

Interesting thing to note is: Belkar noted earlier (while he was being hanged by the neck) that "He weighs like 30 pounds and most of that's his head". Therefore, if it was Belkar instead of Roy, one would be smarter to carry his "head" instead of his "body"

Charles Phipps
2007-07-08, 07:47 PM
I dunno.

If its a matter of a quick escape, Belkar may take the risk in order to make sure that he doesn't have to drag the corpse around and inhibit his travels through the Hobgoblin's territory.

Ithekro
2007-07-08, 11:59 PM
The Mark of Justice will just make Balkar sick to the point where he can't hurt anyone. The specifications didn't say it would kill him. It might be a risk he is willing to take, if Haley can carry Belkar and Belkar carries Roy's head while she dashes to the docks. On the other hand they have a potental to call up Celia, so they really don't "need" to cut off Roy's head (though I think the idea has comic potential).

Though I don't know if Belkar will get the kind of satifaction out of Roy's head as he was with Skullsy.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-07-09, 03:13 PM
I beleive he used skulsy because it was a sentinant skull. Using Roys skull would bring no pleasure as roy wouldnt know. its kind of a hollow victory for belkar

myeerah
2007-07-09, 03:44 PM
They have bags of holding. Just stuff the whole body in one—it'll weigh the same as a single body part.

Not that Belkar wouldn't suggest it, but carting back the whole thing is just as effective, and less time-consuming.

Ithekro
2007-07-09, 03:45 PM
Roy's head isn't hollow. It has that big brain in there still...well most of it anyway. :smallsmile:

However that is why I don't think Belkar would have as much fun as he had with Skullsy. There could still be some moments, but "emergency chamber pot" just doesn't work so well if the target can't respond.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-09, 04:23 PM
~A brief pause for a stupid question~

What's the difference bettwin Resurrection and Raise Dead? Isn't it the same thing?

myeerah
2007-07-09, 05:11 PM
~A brief pause for a stupid question~

What's the difference bettwin Resurrection and Raise Dead? Isn't it the same thing?

Raise Dead costs (relatively) less, is lower level, and requires a whole body. Resurrection costs a lot more, is higher level, and can use any part of a body. True Resurrection costs a prohibitive amount, is exceedingly high level, and requires no body parts at all. Also, the first two bring you back a level lower than you were but the latter brings you back at the same level.

Forealms
2007-07-09, 05:12 PM
They have bags of holding. Just stuff the whole body in one—it'll weigh the same as a single body part.

Not that Belkar wouldn't suggest it, but carting back the whole thing is just as effective, and less time-consuming.

It was thought that putting the body in a bag would put it in another dimension, making it "more than a mile away" from Belkar.

Also, to answer the question of "Raise Dead" and "Resurrection:"

Raise Dead (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Raise_dead)

Resurrection (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Resurrection)

Basically, Resurrection is Raise Dead, but it (Resurrection) has a much wider span of time within which one could be resurrected, you don't need the entire body to cast the spell, and the resurrectee is returned to full hit points and strength with no loss of prepared spells, at the loss of one level.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-09, 06:04 PM
Are you telling me Roy is going to lose a level?

You have no idea how happy you made me.

Twilight Jack
2007-07-09, 06:10 PM
Are you telling me Roy is going to lose a level?

You have no idea how happy you made me.

Dang, what's with the Roy-hate?

Regneva
2007-07-10, 07:28 AM
Ok how's this:

Stuff BOTH roy's body AND Belkar in the bag of holding. That way, they will be in the same dimension and space, so the mark wouldn't trigger?

And Haley would be able to carry it back, hiding all the way.

ChopSticks28
2007-07-10, 09:03 AM
Ok how's this:

Stuff BOTH roy's body AND Belkar in the bag of holding. That way, they will be in the same dimension and space, so the mark wouldn't trigger?

And Haley would be able to carry it back, hiding all the way.

Wow, very good idea! Now all we need to figure is how to convince Belkar into doing this.

Good thing I don't write this comic.