PDA

View Full Version : Non-Custom all-day Haste?

2016-09-07, 03:20 PM
I'm looking for a way for a non-caster with no UMD to have Haste up all day (or at least most of the day) without relying on an ally...but without custom items. Is there an existing item, or some other non-casting/non-UMD mechanic that would give significant amounts of Haste, or will I need to settle for Boots Of Speed?

EDIT: Should've specified, 3.5 only. No PF. Sorry. :smallredface:

Gallowglass
2016-09-07, 03:27 PM
I'm looking for a way for a non-caster with no UMD to have Haste up all day (or at least most of the day) without relying on an ally...but without custom items. Is there an existing item, or some other non-casting/non-UMD mechanic that would give significant amounts of Haste, or will I need to settle for Boots Of Speed?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/drums-of-haste

How about with a perform(percussion) check? That's not a caster or a UMD, right?

khadgar567
2016-09-07, 03:31 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/drums-of-haste

How about with a perform(percussion) check? That's not a caster or a UMD, right?
Lol just get the idea for marachas of haste requiring appropiate check

OldTrees1
2016-09-07, 03:32 PM

Is that 45K gp for 125 rounds (12.5 minutes) of haste per day?

Gallowglass
2016-09-07, 03:36 PM
Is that 45K gp for 125 rounds (12.5 minutes) of haste per day?

Probably. Math is hard.

2016-09-07, 03:50 PM
Alas, I don't think PF will be allowed. That's a very neat item, though, I'll have to remember that...

I'll update the OP to specify non-PF. Sorry for it not being there already.

Necroticplague
2016-09-07, 04:00 PM
Spell Clocks aren't custom items, and could get you this.

Name1
2016-09-07, 07:40 PM
"Allowed" huh?
... Have you considered contacting a Runecrafter or taking one as a cohort? Unlike the Creating Magic Items guidelines, which are guidelines and thus highly DM-dependant, the Runecaster has an "Improved Runecasting"-Table which lists similar prices, but is written as a solid price rather than a guideline.
The Time Domain provides Haste, and as long as you don't "deliberately" trigger it, but instead have it inscribed into your armor so it triggers everytime you unconsciously touch the rune by wearing said armor, it costs no action.

So yeah, don't buy a "custom item", buy an Inscription of "Permanent Touch-Activated Rune of Haste" at your local Runecrafter.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-07, 08:26 PM
Make friends with an incantatrix with Persistent Spell. He casts haste on you and then uses his incantatrix ability to Persist it.

[edit] Oh, "without relying on an ally." Well, that puts a crimp in things.

Do you consider psionics to be spellcasting? There's a psionic, self-only version in Untapped Potential, I believe.

One Step Two
2016-09-07, 08:28 PM
"Allowed" huh?
... Have you considered contacting a Runecrafter or taking one as a cohort? Unlike the Creating Magic Items guidelines, which are guidelines and thus highly DM-dependant, the Runecaster has an "Improved Runecasting"-Table which lists similar prices, but is written as a solid price rather than a guideline.
The Time Domain provides Haste, and as long as you don't "deliberately" trigger it, but instead have it inscribed into your armor so it triggers everytime you unconsciously touch the rune by wearing said armor, it costs no action.

So yeah, don't buy a "custom item", buy an Inscription of "Permanent Touch-Activated Rune of Haste" at your local Runecrafter.

Or it can be inscribed into the hilt of your sword. Paying a runecaster for the enchantment is pretty much the most legit way to go.

Quertus
2016-09-08, 08:24 AM
Never found it myself, but I'm told there's a +3 armor / shield enchantment that does just that. I'll see if I can track down the player who told me about it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-08, 08:30 AM
A +1 speed/morphing/sizing shuriken and any item or combination of items that grants a constant +30' bonus to speed (like adding the rapid wrath enhancement, from Ghostwalk, to your shuriken) will give you the most important benefits of haste, and they're pretty darned cheap. All you're missing is a +1 to a few things, which isn't the most important or visible part of haste.

Segev
2016-09-08, 08:38 AM
When you say "without relying on an ally," do you mean "another PC," or "any other character at all?" Because you could possibly use Leadership to get yourself a cohort to cast it on you. Or, with a high enough Leadership Score, a high-end set of Followers.

What is the purpose behind all-day haste for this particular character?

Forrestfire
2016-09-08, 08:43 AM
If you take Extend Spell and Persistent Spell (which don't require you to be able to actually cast spells), then get a Minor Schema of metamagic item (6,000gp), a Minor Schema of concurrent infusions (12,800gp), you can use them together as follows:

UMD the Minor Schema of concurrent infusions to emulate the effect of the spell-storing item infusion, creating a 1-charge wand of swift haste.
UMD the Minor Schema of metamagic item on the 1-charge wand of swift haste to apply Persistent Spell to it (since it's a personal spell, unlike normal haste).
UMD the 1-charge wand of Persistent swift haste on yourself, netting you a haste effect for 24 hours.

The Minor Schemas can each be used once per day, so this is repeatable as much as you like (and can also be used to persist any other spell of 4th level or lower instead of swift haste, if you like).

EDIT: Whoops, I read that as "with UMD," not "with no UMD." My bad.

OldTrees1
2016-09-08, 08:57 AM
If you take Extend Spell and Persistent Spell (which don't require you to be able to actually cast spells), then get a Minor Schema of metamagic item (6,000gp), a Minor Schema of concurrent infusions (12,800gp), you can use them together as follows:

UMD the Minor Schema of concurrent infusions to emulate the effect of the spell-storing item infusion, creating a 1-charge wand of swift haste.
UMD the Minor Schema of metamagic item on the 1-charge wand of swift haste to apply Persistent Spell to it (since it's a personal spell, unlike normal haste).
UMD the 1-charge wand of Persistent swift haste on yourself, netting you a haste effect for 24 hours.

The Minor Schemas can each be used once per day, so this is repeatable as much as you like (and can also be used to persist any other spell of 4th level or lower instead of swift haste, if you like).

Spell Storing Infusion has this line:

You can imbue any spell of 4th level or lower into the item, as long as its spell level is no greater than one-half your artificer level.
Is that a problem?

If that is not a problem, could you list the DCs of the UMD checks (including the DC from Spell Storing infusion)?

Forrestfire
2016-09-08, 09:08 AM
Spell Storing Infusion has this line:

Is that a problem?

If that is not a problem, could you list the DCs of the UMD checks (including the DC from Spell Storing infusion)?

You can use UMD to emulate having an artificer level (DC 24 in this case) for the item's purposes. Minor Schemas are spell completion, so using them is DC 20 + the CL of the item (CL 8 for concurrent infusions, CL 6 for metamagic item), and in order to use spell-storing item to store a swift haste, it's a DC 26 UMD check.

2016-09-08, 09:22 AM
When you say "without relying on an ally," do you mean "another PC," or "any other character at all?" Because you could possibly use Leadership to get yourself a cohort to cast it on you. Or, with a high enough Leadership Score, a high-end set of Followers.

What is the purpose behind all-day haste for this particular character?

Looking for a way for a non-caster with no UMD to boost his speed and get an extra attack. Leadership abilities, T1/2 classes, and custom items were banned for this game (our current caster is a Dread Necromancer). My character build isn't super-flexible (Swift Hunter+Greater Manyshot), but there's thing that could be given up if I found a good way to get Haste for most of the day's fights. The extra attack is less important at this point, because I managed to get Splitting approved, but I'm still slower than I'd like to be, and I wouldn't say no to an extra attack.

There's some interesting ideas in here, although a number of suggestions are unfortunately not feasible.

khadgar567
2016-09-08, 09:27 AM
dip any sphere using class and grab time sphere or use sphere feat to garb time sphere base power is all you need

Segev
2016-09-08, 09:34 AM
Looking for a way for a non-caster with no UMD to boost his speed and get an extra attack. Leadership abilities, T1/2 classes, and custom items were banned for this game (our current caster is a Dread Necromancer). My character build isn't super-flexible (Swift Hunter+Greater Manyshot), but there's thing that could be given up if I found a good way to get Haste for most of the day's fights. The extra attack is less important at this point, because I managed to get Splitting approved, but I'm still slower than I'd like to be, and I wouldn't say no to an extra attack.

There's some interesting ideas in here, although a number of suggestions are unfortunately not feasible.

The speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed) weapon tag will get you the extra attack, though it's a +3 equivalent bonus.

Other than class features that are boosts to your speed, you're kind-of stuck with things like the boots of striding and springing to increase your own movement.

Though there are some fairly fast mounts. If you're playing a small character, you can even ride most of the medium-size mounts into a dungeon.

Zaq
2016-09-08, 12:10 PM
The speed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#speed) weapon tag will get you the extra attack, though it's a +3 equivalent bonus.

Other than class features that are boosts to your speed, you're kind-of stuck with things like the boots of striding and springing to increase your own movement.

Though there are some fairly fast mounts. If you're playing a small character, you can even ride most of the medium-size mounts into a dungeon.

Mounts likely won't help, since AV said that the character is a Swift Hunter, and the errata to Complete Adventurer means that mounts can't trigger Skirmish.

I agree that Boots of Striding and Springing are a passable option, though if you've got enough Scout levels to have a movement speed increase (which I believe you have to have in order to get enough Skirmish for Swift Hunter, though you might have traded the movement speed away for an ACF of some sort), the actual BoSaS won't work, because they're an enhancement bonus, which won't stack with the enhancement bonus granted by your Scout levels.

I don't think you're going to get what you're looking for without changing the parameters or allowing custom stuff. There's plenty of nickel-and-dime ways to increase speed with a dip here and a dip there, but those do indeed cost levels, which is, it sounds like, a cost you aren't willing to pay. (That said, a dip in Whirling Frenzy non-Pounce Barbarian is kind of close—you'd get an always-on typeless bonus to speed, and 1/day you'd get the ability to gain an additional attack for an encounter. Blow a precious feat on Extra Rage and you'd have it for three encounters per day, which isn't exactly "always on," but it's pretty close.)

All the skills necessary to get into Trapsmith are in-class for you, so you might be able to qualify for Trapsmith, which can give you Haste 1/day at first level? That's a very different story from always-on Haste, though, at least without hardcore cheese that is almost certainly not feasible.

ShurikVch
2016-09-09, 06:49 AM
Sharn (Monsters of Faerūn/Anauroch - The Empire of Shade) is always hasted; 4 HD and LA: +5; unfortunately, because of their racial spellcasting, they are doesn't fit completely into your "non-casting" request

Non-1st party examples:
Tome of Horrors, Revised - Quickling (2 HD, LA: +4), Cave Troll (4 HD, LA: +4)
Ricean Vampire (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/rl_renaissance/riceanvamp.html) template, LA: +3

Bronk
2016-09-09, 07:05 AM
It's a bit oddball, but the 'monster of legend' template has permanent supernatural haste as well...

ShurikVch
2016-09-09, 07:20 AM
It's a bit oddball, but the 'monster of legend' template has permanent supernatural haste as well...Yes, it have
But LA: +7...
(Still usable with Tauric Creature template)

Necroticplague
2016-09-09, 08:34 AM
Yes, it have
But LA: +7...
(Still usable with Tauric Creature template)

Since the Haste is a Special Quality, you can also use Symbiont to save on LA.

EldritchWeaver
2016-09-09, 08:55 AM
dip any sphere using class and grab time sphere or use sphere feat to garb time sphere base power is all you need

While that would provide haste all day by continuous concentration on the effect, it is useless if you have to be the one who has to concentrate in addition to the stuff you actually want to get from the effect. And no cohort is allowed. Or possibly Spheres of Power in the first place, since this is 3PP.