PDA

View Full Version : Gate of the Archmage IC

Jormengand
2016-09-07, 04:22 PM
The gate spins ominously. A succubus hangs seductively around the archmage. Two token squads of lemures await orders, too stupid to do much on their own. Welcome to the cave.

It hadn't always been just a cave - torched Nezumi fortifications attest to that - but now it was; the doorway battered down, collossal splinters of wood and metal alike on the ground where it fell, and no structures left but a simple bridge - the only one to accelerate, not impede, the heroes' passage. Perhaps the new archmage would have to be more careful.

A map (http://oi65.tinypic.com/2q8tuns.jpg) was laid open on a makeshift desk, describing in no amazing detail the realm of Mundorbis, and the planes in general. The best guess as to their actual location was in No Man's Land, near the borders of Ryuudo and Feuergard, and next to an unnamed oasis settlement which Minax had actually stayed in mere days ago. Probably the first place that anyone looking for her would go to.

Maybe she would torch it first. Maybe not.

BananaPhone
2016-09-08, 12:36 AM
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/tempestII/70bfc02e-9353-4b61-a0a3-2f77d62defe5_zps3ba8f90b.jpg Minax

First order of business: the Succubus.

With a forceful shrug of her shoulder, Minax pushed the demon away with a sharp side-ways glare. "Do not touch me again," the mage uttered, her smooth voice cold and unmistaken in the reaction the succubus would receive should she ply her wiles in such a fashion once more.

Staring down at the succubus for several long seconds with the reserved intensity only a master of the arcane and braver of the nether could impose, Minax turned away from the downed demon to survey the squalid conditions she now found herself within. Though the Tempest Gate and its connection to the infernal planes was the coveted prize, its surroundings left much to be desired. Having been long forgotten by its creators and left to the corrosive effect of time, what was once a splendid and cavernous chamber primed with exquisite bas-reliefs had sunk into a black-faced, ugly crag.

Pursing her lips, Minax stared at one section whose decrepitude had particularly aroused her ire. What was once a splendor of engineering had become a broken, vine-covered, dust-infected rotting corner, and it silently screamed for change. Raising her right hand in its direction, Minax uttered several words beneath her breath. No sooner had she done so that the smashed earth responded and started to reorganise itself as animated by her will. The ground beneath the sorceresses feet trembled as stones drew back together, flat earth depressed inwards and a great swathes of earth compacted together with crushing pressure as Minax drew together a temporary throne of stone. Seated upon a staircase, its elevation granted a view over all that would work in this sordid, decaying cave.

Satisfied with her creation, Minax drew herself up the staircase and turned to place her rump upon its seat. Glaring down at the collection of demons, Minax pointed a long finger in the direction of the lemurs - a gesture that many others had taken with them to the grave as terrible magics suddenly sprung forth.

"I want this place cleaned and mapped." she stated calmly.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-08, 03:28 AM
http://i.imgur.com/uDUrDtQt.jpg

Uk-Regash simply cracked a grin as the demon's wiles were rejected, and asked of the archmage: "Need I just stand here in guard, or are there any tasks for me to fulfill?"

Jormengand
2016-09-09, 07:07 AM
Cleaning the place was grunt work; soon the shattered fragments of doors and barricades were cast out of the room with great aplomb and vague efficiency. Moments later, the succubus returned, having mapped out the cavern, such as it was (https://app.roll20.net/join/1527302/LLft_Q).

The two squads of mindless devils stopped and awaited their next orders.

BananaPhone
2016-09-12, 08:57 AM
http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh483/tempestII/70bfc02e-9353-4b61-a0a3-2f77d62defe5_zps3ba8f90b.jpg Minax

Minax's words to Uk-Regash do not carry the same firm, icy authority that they do when directed at the demons. Instead she seems more...cordially, more accepting of him as someone who wants to be here rather than a creature from the nether that is being compelled by their nature.

"We're going to need an assessment of what little fortifications we have and capacity for industry," Minax spoke quietly to the half-orc, "for now, secrecy is our greatest defense. But our work here will soon be noticed, either by the opportunistic or the righteous..."

When the succubus returned, the sorceress perked a slender, dark eyebrow, "running errands for lemures now?" she commented, reaching over to acquire the scroll it presented.

"You don't have anything more important to be doing?"

Jormengand
2016-09-12, 10:21 AM
"PFFT. AS THOUGH THEY COULD EVEN DRAW A MAP. WHY, ARE YOU NOT GRATEFUL FOR MY SERVICE? AFTER ALL, IT SEEMS AS THOUGH YOU, I AND BONECRUSHER ARE THE ONLY ONES IN HERE WITH ANY LEVEL OF INTELLIGENCE. AND I MEAN THAT LITERALLY; LEMURES ARE LITERALLY INCAPABLE OF MAKING ANYTHING LIKE THIS."

The succubus flitted about Minax, careful not to touch her but still obviously interested. Then she smirked.

"ANYWAY, I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT DEFENCES FOR THIS PLACE. OBVIOUSLY, YOU'RE A POWERFUL SPELLCASTER, BUT THAT MAY NOT HELP WHEN THE ARMIES OF THE SELF-RIGHTEOUS DESCEND UPON YOU. WE SHOULD SPEND THIS WEEK BUILDING DEFENCES AND SUMMONING SOMETHING SLIGHTLY BETTER THAN LEMURES TO DEFEND THIS PLACE. I'LL NEED, HMM, ABOUT A WEEK TO GATHER A SQUAD OF SOMETHING INTERESTING. YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW DAMNED POLITICAL THE NETHER CAN GET AT TIMES. SO, ON THAT BASIS, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU FIND SOMETHING INTERESTING FOR YOU TWO TO DO YOURSELVES WHILE YOU LEAVE THE GRUNT WORK TO THEM AND THE RECRUITMENT DRIVE TO ME."

I'd vaguely like to keep the real-time weeks about in line with the in-game weeks, so getting some orders for the lemures and the succubus as well as your own actions for the week might be an idea.

Tuvarkz
2016-09-17, 02:58 PM
"Understood. I'll also go look for nearby villages, and if possible chat some of the locals up for news. Won't go for intimidation as to avoid causing ruckus." That being said, Uk-Regash left the room and started performing his tasks, inspecting the place for its defensibility first.