PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Couple starting AL Curse of Strahd soon looking for class advice

pixelG
2016-09-07, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone,
my wife and I will start an AL soon playing the Curse of Strahd adventure. This will be an event organized by my LGS so the party composition is currently unknown and it is also possible that we will play with different people every time (group is usually between 4 and 7).
For the above mentioned reasons we would like to play 2 classes that work well together. Our idea was at first to play a fervent Tempest Cleric and a not-so-fervent Life Cleric (multiclassing to Bard at lvl 2). The idea was that the Life Cleric is not as faithful as the tempest one and decides to leave the monastery to go around the world enjoying life. The tempest cleric decides to follow him trying to bring him back to the monastery. Hilarity issues when they start talking about religion.

But then we started overthinking everything and now we are undecided between classes (sooo many interesting classes!):
Cleric (Tempest or Nature)
Cleric (Life multiclassing Bard at lvl 2)
Paladin
Ranger

As I said we would like to play 2 classes that can have a good background story together and that can be fairly self sufficient since we don't know what the other players are going to play each time.

Please can you help us make up our minds?

Klorox
2016-09-07, 08:08 PM
You can make any two classes work well together, just choose the same background and make your histories include each other.

If I could do Strahd again, I'd make sure there is one single classed character that can cast counterspell, and one character who gets to level 6 as a paladin while maximizing CHA before multiclassing at all.

pixelG
2016-09-08, 03:46 AM
You can make any two classes work well together, just choose the same background and make your histories include each other.

If I could do Strahd again, I'd make sure there is one single classed character that can cast counterspell, and one character who gets to level 6 as a paladin while maximizing CHA before multiclassing at all.

Hello and thanks for your reply =)
Since we have never played the adventure (no spoilers please =P) from what you said I understand that a full Paladin (up to lvl6) and a Life Cleric multiclassing to Bard (getting Counterspell and maybe Aura of Vitality for the boosted healing) would be a good choice that will fit in quite a few random groups, is that right?

PeteNutButter
2016-09-08, 03:58 AM
Hello and thanks for your reply =)
Since we have never played the adventure (no spoilers please =P) from what you said I understand that a full Paladin (up to lvl6) and a Life Cleric multiclassing to Bard (getting Counterspell and maybe Aura of Vitality for the boosted healing) would be a good choice that will fit in quite a few random groups, is that right?

You can never have too much healing, especially if it's just tossing bonus action healing words to keep people up.
And if you have even the vaguest notion of what the setting is I'm sure you can imagine which classes come equipped with the best damage types on their spells and abilities. Sometimes it's a minor or neglibable advantage; others it's absolutely required.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-08, 02:51 PM
A sun soul Monk would be nice in CoS. You can make any class work.

AttilatheYeon
2016-09-08, 04:24 PM
Aura of Vitality is kind of a trap for CoS. That concentration slot is very important for Protection from Good/Evil and Spiritual Guardian. Also Warding Bond is great for protecting a palladin.