PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a Familiar Common

The Extinguisher
2016-09-07, 05:55 PM
Is there any way to give a familiar the ability to speak Common?

The character I'm looking to build next really wants a cat familiar that can speak Common. It's not essential, but would really add to what I'm trying to do with the character, so if there is a way to do it that would be awesome. I've tried looking around but can't seem to find anything.

The character is a Sorcerer/Sandshaper if that changes anything about the method.

Cruiser1
2016-09-07, 06:41 PM
Is there any way to give a familiar the ability to speak Common?
The character I'm looking to build next really wants a cat familiar that can speak Common.
A Raven familiar can speak already. However the challenge with a Cat is that it's physically incapable of standard speaking. However, that nothing that magic can't fix! :smallsmile: Just give your cat an Amulet of Freedom of Speech (5000 gp) which gives any creature the ability to speak normally. That magic item is from the "An Icy Heart" WotC adventure.

Âmesang
2016-09-07, 06:51 PM
Would it be too cheesy to name the cat "Thackery Binx?" :smalltongue:

Erit
2016-09-07, 06:52 PM
Would it be too cheesy to name the cat "Thackery Binx?" :smalltongue:

At least you wouldn't be calling it "Salem".

Deophaun
2016-09-07, 07:01 PM
Pearl of speech. 600 gp. Magic Item Compendium. Does require your familiar to have a tongue, if that matters.

The Extinguisher
2016-09-07, 07:07 PM
Yeah, a raven is nice, but I'm going for a whole "Magical Girl" feel, so the cat is a much better choice.

And those are awesome! Thanks a lot!

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-09-07, 07:44 PM
Technically, all familiars already know how to speak Common.

All characters know how to speak Common.(Found here.) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#raceAndLanguages)

Since familiars are, by the definition the game uses, characters (see below), they already know how to speak it. Whether they're physically capable or not is another matter altogether.

character: A fictional individual within the confines of a fantasy game setting. The words “character” and “creature” are often used synonymously within these rules, since almost any creature could be a character within the game, and every character is a creature (as opposed to an object).