PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Cleric and Ranger/Druid builds?

ES Curse
2016-09-07, 05:56 PM
For all the fanfare I've seen with Paladin and Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock multiclassing, I haven't heard much about multiclassing Ranger with a WIS caster. I've seen some general synergies with each caster.

Cleric:
-Extra Attack stacks with Divine Strike
-Viable way to get Heavy Armor prof. without feats or starting something else
-Dueling + Shilleagh on Nature Clerics anyone?
-Blessing of the Trickster works with beast companions, making them even better scouts
-Basically the entire War Domain

Druid:
-Shilleagh + Dueling
-Extra Attack works while Wild Shaped?
-Hunter features while Wild Shaped?
-Keep Hunter's Mark in Wild Shape

Thoughts? Ideas? How much should this be of ranger vs caster?

PeteNutButter
2016-09-08, 05:39 AM
All the paladin builds are due to smite getting stronger when combined with a full caster, and the paladin just being a better class. :smallfrown:

That being said, if you ask me it's pretty much ranger 5/cleric x, or ranger 5/druid x. Extra attack is all you need, nothing else is really great in ranger for a while after level 5.

The level 7 hunter abilities are a bit lackluster, and ranger 8 gives ASI and... Land's Stride? Seriously? If non-magical thorn bushes are a big threat to your party then make sure to pick that up... I guess if your DM likes difficult terrain on his battle maps... but just lol.

MrFahrenheit
2016-09-08, 06:02 AM
For all the fanfare I've seen with Paladin and Bard/Sorcerer/Warlock multiclassing, I haven't heard much about multiclassing Ranger with a WIS caster. I've seen some general synergies with each caster.

Cleric:
-Blessing of the Trickster works with beast companions, making them even better scouts

Druid:
-Shilleagh + Dueling

Cleric: I'd go in for either war (2), life (1), trickery (6), knowledge (6) or nature domain (8). At least two levels no matter what, though note your wis score must be as close to max as possible for the level one war domain feature to be as effective as possible. Doesn't have to be the case with the others - though it's still a secondary stat - but the more cleric levels you take, the higher you'll want wisdom anyhow. No more than eight in any of them, for divine strike. Six, however, is the sweet spot for getting two uses of your CD per day, while still getting your fourth level ranger spells, though it messes with ASI/feat progression.

Druid: A one level dip wouldn't hurt for shillelagh. Hunter's mark (if cast before wild shaping) and hunter features do work when wild shaped. Extra attack works with wild shape...but not with multi-attack. So don't go circle of moon. I'd advise a two level land circle dip, but be wary of the fact that this leaves you exclusively in leather armor. Natural recovery is extra nice, despite the low level dip, since you're primary class is a half caster.

Looking at the two in comparison, nature domain cleric is probably your best bet if you go hunter, and don't want to go MAD. One for heavy armor and acolyte of nature, six for dampen elements (an awesome ability) and to keep your fourth level ranger spells, or eight for divine strike. If you don't mind MADness, a 1-2 level dip into war domain cleric AND a 1-2 level dip into land circle druid may suit you best.

EDIT: the war cleric 1-2/land Druid 1-2 example isn't necessarily MAD, since a ranger needs to focus on wisdom anyhow, but it does make wisdom even more important than it already is, which in turn means less opportunity for feats.

rudy
2016-09-08, 08:13 AM
Life Cleric / Ranger build gets a great boost if your GM allows the (I personally think absurd) unofficial ruling that the life domain 1st level ability works on every berry of goodberry. Meaning you create 10 berries than cure 4 hit points each with a 1st level spell, and the berries last 24 hours.

Don't know why you'd even consider going for heavy armor when you are required to have at least 13 dexterity for the multiclass

I'd likely go:

Wood Elf
Str 10 Dex 17 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 16 Cha 8

Start off wearing medium armor; you'll later switch to light after dex bumps to 18

Cleric 1 (Life Cleric) [I think Wis Save > Ref Save; you may disagree]
Ranger 1, Favored Enemies (Humans, one other), Favored Terrain (whatever)
Ranger 2, Spellcasting, Fighting Style (Archery)
Ranger 3 Archetype stuff
Ranger 4 Dex +1, Con +1
Ranger 5 Extra Attack
Cleric 2
Cleric 3
Cleric 4 Resilient (Con)
Cleric 5-9

After Cleric 9, you either commit to the rest of your levels in Cleric, or go into fighter for four levels if you want to be more awesome martially.

Citan
2016-09-08, 11:19 AM

Cleric:

Druid:
-Shilleagh + Dueling

Honestly, it's very good. There are many builds that work well.

First of all, as a "nearly-pure" Ranger...
- If you go melee, grabbing Shillelagh is a great way to empower your exclusive spells without hampering your melee efficiency.
- any spellcaster dip means more slots to use on the good Ranger spells that is always good.
- for a ranged Ranger (\o/), Trickery Cleric's CD synergizes greatly with Sharpshooter.

When you progress in spellcasters, you get more and more spells that are great either for melee or ranged casters, or both.
I also strongly disagree with the assumption that "all you need is 5 levels for Extra Attack).
But honestly, a full guide would be needed to cover the cases in which such multiclasses are good... And those where it's subpar, because that can be too, contrarily to Paladin / Sorcerer which works in nearly every repartition. For example, I would be weary of Moon Druid / Ranger combination, because the Wild Shape CR doesn't grow up that quickly, and if you go high enough, you'd probably regret having lost the capstone... You still get the spells though. :)

Specter
2016-09-08, 12:17 PM
All the paladin builds are due to smite getting stronger when combined with a full caster, and the paladin just being a better class. :smallfrown:

That being said, if you ask me it's pretty much ranger 5/cleric x, or ranger 5/druid x. Extra attack is all you need, nothing else is really great in ranger for a while after level 5.

The level 7 hunter abilities are a bit lackluster, and ranger 8 gives ASI and... Land's Stride? Seriously? If non-magical thorn bushes are a big threat to your party then make sure to pick that up... I guess if your DM likes difficult terrain on his battle maps... but just lol.

It's not so much about Paladin being better (even if it is for some stuff), but about Smite having a ridonkulous synergy with full casters. The first level of both is bad. Unfortunately, so is Ranger 6.

Anyway, a good one is Ranger (archer) 12/War Cleric 8. Sharpshooter has amazing synergy with War, for the extra attack and the occasional +10 to-hit. Plus Volley? Yes please. Take a save cantrip like Sacred Flame if anyone gets too close.

Another option is Ranger 5/Nature Cleric 15, this time melee. You get another skill (that profits from Natural Explorer), Shillelagh (for a SAD build) and all the other great cleric spells. You have great explorer skills, stealth (Pass Without Trace), melee damage, healing, area damage, ranged damage and elemental resistance. Go crazy!

Other general Cleric goodness:
- Guidance (for the skill guy in all rangers)
- Healing (Life Cleric/Goodberry is amazing, and it's a ranger spell)
- Sanctuary (for Beastmasters riding pets)