PDA

View Full Version : Dropped into Another World (In-Character)

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-07, 07:45 PM
Out of Character Introduction:
Hello and here is the In-Character thread. Where necessary post your dice rolls and list your actions from a game mechanics point of view in a spoiler box below your In-character actions.

Link to the Out-of-Character thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?499841-Dropped-into-Another-World-(Out-of-Character)

It was around midday when things went wrong. Den, the wizard the caravan picked up a few weeks prior, took to fiddling with some magical staff she probably shouldn’t have touched. The caravan had not long got going again after taking a time by a roadside shrine to prepare a meal, that was when, gnomes being gnomes, Den had the bright idea to open some manner of portal to speed along the journey to Ember Lake.

It should be noted however that by this point Den’s staff had been tinkered with in such ways that would have mangled the spell even were the portal trick actuality the intended use. In other words, to cut a long story short, it exploded. A silvery vortex tore open and sucked the whole caravan inside. A mixture of a dozen curses, cries and shouts all blurred into one as the collected people reacted in a split second before they entered the botched portal. And so everyone was launched airborne within the grayish void, with the odd glimpse of a endless plane of dust or swirling stream of humanoid figments in the sky leading many to assume themselves dead before coming back into awareness of their own thundering heartbeats. Eventually even the toughest of you black out.

You all awaken in a large patch of disturbed earth and the rubble of a small shelter of some nature, but certainly not enough for a dwelling. The origin of the destruction (aside from the force of those present’s arrival) clearly being from one large wagon that has landed on top. A carriage that miraculously survived unharmed has came to a stop as one wheel is caught on part of the brick construction, a pair of healthy but spooked horses still strapped to it. Boot the halfling wakes a short distance in front of the carriage, his front clinging to a shattered tree he seems to have impacted. Inside the carriage Andru Hutov also regains awareness of his surroundings.

Within the pile of rubble and the destroyed wagon others awake, Orianna Redgar, Zrokh Rethston, and Quintin Alyrmain, who get themselves up. Others unfortunately were less fortunate, with two bodies failing to rise, one too mangled to determine and the other being Kuduk, the cook, as well as another pair of horses.

Were anyone to look around they would find themselves somewhere unknown. The sun is nearing the horizon, probably around an hour to so to nightfall. To the north is the coast, about the majority of an hour or so away. A quick look at things shows that the shore continues both west along level plains and east which travels to hills and what may be the odd cliff farther in the distance. Traveling away from the coast goes towards what looks like a smallish woodland of some nature a half-hour away. A small plume of smoke can be seen from near the woods, and a slightly larger one much further away to the west. Your current area seems to be farmland of some sort, with plants of various sorts ordered into crude rows around you. Overall apart from the tang of salt and rotting seaweed in the breeze the location seems pretty normal and nonthreatening.

Dice rolls:
Will saves for the panicked horses to calm down:
Merryheart: [roll0]
Stardancer: [roll1]

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-08, 07:55 AM
Quintin lifts himself out of the wreckage, stumbling a little as he does. He reaches to the back of his throbbing head and winces. Pulling his fingers back into view, they reveal that he is bleeding, but that it's already starting to dry.

Must have hit my head in the... crash or whatever.

Turning to his former fellow passengers, Quintin reaches a hand out to help Orianna up from the rubble. He repeats the gesture for Zrokh. Looking around, really for the first time, he sees the wreckage of the caravan. It was as if they were struck by a sudden windstorm. What confuses him more is the lack of a familiar setting.

"Where are we?" he asks to no one in particular.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-08, 09:16 AM
Taking Quintin's hand Zrokh pulls himself to his feet and pauses for a moment to take stock of himself. Swiping absentmindedly through his backpack he looks around at the destruction. Finding nothing amiss with his few belongings he puts his pack back on, the familiar weight settling him in an odd way. Straightening his clothes Zrokh steps out from the rubble, "Unless I miss my guess that's a question for that gnomish woman we picked a while back. This feels like magic gone wrong."

Moving with a bit more purpose in his step now Zrokh walks around the wreckage, trying to find any more survivors and helping any he finds to their feet and out of the rubble. "Is everyone all rig.." he trails off, noticing for the first time the remains of Kuduk and the other as well as the horse. "Guess not," he finishes quietly. Muttering a short prayer, Zrokh finishes his look around the area, finding Boot tangles in a tree. After helping the driver to extricate himself Zrokh steps over to the carriage, opening the door and glancing inside. Seeing Andru well enough within he turns back to the larger portion of the group. "Just the five of us then it would seem." With a vague gesture toward the horse still dancing in its harness Zrokh turns to the recently arboreal halfling, "Could you do something about that, Boot?" Zrokh steps back and turns so that he can address all the survivors at once, "Well, it's getting dark and we have dead to bury, if none of the living are too badly hurt. I don't suppose anyone has a shovel handy?"

HappyMerecat
2016-09-08, 05:48 PM
Andru

Andru wakes, his head hurting in Boot's carriage. Quickly he rises, climbs out the back and looks around at the wreckage and the bodies. His eyes open wide. What has happened? He fails to notice that they are not where or when they were only that he is surrounded by the death and destruction of his band.
He moves to the body of Sarina, a young girl of the band, tears in his eyes.
"What happned?"

Quiver
2016-09-09, 08:28 AM
Boot had thought the aphorism about meddling in magic was well-known amongst the small races of the world. Den had very rapidly proved him wrong... but the dark-skinned halfling had kept his misgivings to himself. After all, no one told him how to drive a cart or rein a horse, so what grounds did he have to be offerring suggestions on magic?

No ground whatsoever, it seemed, given he had ended up stuck to the tree on impact.

Some halflings were known for their acrobatics and agility. The flame-haired boot was not one of those. So, the muttered "Thanks," he gave as the shaggy-haired monk helped him down was heartfelt, if somewhat disoriented.

Not so disoriented that he didn't noticed the horses, of course. The fact that they, and the carriage, had survived the -'Impact' sounded like a good word, and it described the way his whole body was ringing quite well- the fact that they had survived the impact was both surprising, and welcome.

Less welcome was the reaction the horses had had to the event. Stardancer was also rather placid; not slow, steady. Curious. Merryheart was also the more capricious of the pair, more playful, and was erratic. And right now, he was clearly spooked.

The halfling was already running towards the white-coated horse, even before the monk said anything, brow furrowing with concern. The horses were still strapped into the carriage; that was probably good. The carriage looked like it was snagged on something. If they were free, Merry might have already run off.

On the other hand, Merryheart was frightened, and still strapped into the carriage. Either the harness would break, or the carriage would break or -the worst of all, a thought that made the halflings heart plummet- Merryheart would break himself.

"Merry." Boot kept his voice even, approaching the animal. It was probably an absurd sight; halflings were associated with ponies, not full grown horses, after all. But Boot had reared Stadancer and Merryheart from when they were ponies. They might have gotten too big for him to ride, but they still recognized his voice.

Zrokh opened the carriage door"If anyone is in there," the halfling said, still trying to sound calm and disaffected, "Get out slowly. The last thing you want is for the horses to see you and get even more worked up."

Boot stooped, tearing out a handful of grass. He kept an eye on the horse as he did. He trusted Merry, most of the time. Being scared after a magical catastrophe did not count as most of the time.

"There there boy," he said softly, offerring the grass. S'alright. Nothing to worry about me..."

Rolling for Handle Animal

[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-09, 11:45 AM
Merryheart swiftly calms as he hears his masters voice, a response probably helped along by his calm companion. It is moments before he lowers his head to take the offered food from Boot's outstretched palm.

Over by the others a dazed-looking Orianna takes a look at her battered companions and then down at herself, deciding to give each limb a slow shake to check for obvious breaks. She turns to speak but proceeds to quickly dash her hand to her head, face in obvious pain that passes momentarily.

"A Moment" she mutters before checking her pockets for something, and failing that, gets on her knees to rummage through the surrounding rubble.

After minute or so she pulls forth a brass device and gives it a quick inspection and shake, twists the cap, holds it a short distance from her nose, and inhales the small cloud of crimson and yellow the tube emits. The cloud smells faintly of copper and rotten egg. Already in a better shape stands and asks, glancing at the corpses for a second, "Anyone need this?" while holding the device extended.

Overhead a noise alerts anyone caring to look to cast their gaze up, where there is some manner of carrion bird already circling overhead.

Actions:
Orianna casts Infernal Healing on herself.

Quiver
2016-09-10, 09:33 AM
The halfling chuckled at Merry's actions, patting the horse as it ate.

He turned back to the group, and the smile faded a little as he started to realize the devestation. The cawing above only made it worse.

"No shovel," he said. "Wasn't the kind of thing I thought I'd need."

Boot pat the horse again, and started looking Merryheart and Stardancer over. He had a bit of an ache in his chest; he had thought it was a heart attack from the magical explosion, but since he was still alive, it must have been aches and bruises from colliding with the tree. Still as welcome as Orianna's offer would be, the horses were their main form of transport. Better to make sure they were fit to go, first.

"Maybe we shouldn't stay too long," he suggested cautiously when he was through. "I don't like the way those birds are eying us..."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-10, 11:30 AM
"Well. With the absence of a digging tool I suppose a ... return to nature, shall we say, wouldn't be the worst tribute. What made them who they were is no longer here anyway." Taking a deep breath Zrokh turns again to Boot "The horses seem well then? Spirited, at any rate." Looking around at the group Zrokh grimaces, casting an almost guilty look at Boot. "I hate to suggest this, but we don't know where we are and we have limited supplies so... does anyone know how to butcher a horse?" As he nearly blurts the last few words Zrokh's gaze locks on the less fortunate pair of horses in the wreckage. " A little meat can go a long way, after all."

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-11, 06:43 PM
Quintin looks up at the circling birds. "Sorry, no shovel, either. Wish I did," he says regretfully. "I can take a look at the horses, if you really want. I might be able to get some meat off. Don't know that it will last us that long, of course, without something to preserve it. I also don't want to stay here too long. We don't know what kind of night predators may be draw here."

If no one opposes, Quintin makes his way over to the dead horses and pulls out his dagger. He looks them over before cutting around the wounds and lacerations for some "choice" pieces of meat.

I'm assuming getting some decent meat off of the horses would be a survival roll.

[roll0]

HappyMerecat
2016-09-11, 07:52 PM
Andru

Andru gives up waiting for an answer, there is none. His emotions shut down as he rises to his feet. "Cook the meat and it will last longer."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-12, 09:21 AM
"That's good thinking Andru," Zrokh says absentmindedly as he bends down to examine the carriage wheels. "Stuck pretty good," he mutters as he makes a few experimental tugs at the blockage. "Hey Boot, you know more about this kind of thing than I do. Do you think we might be able to use the horses to pull this thing free? Or should we unhitch them so we can get more leverage here where it's stuck, do you think?"

Standing back up Zrokh rubs the back of his neck and looks around again. "I think you guys are right, we should probably get moving as soon as we can, though I'll be damned if I know where we are. I guess maybe we should head that way?" Zrokh says, pointing toward the nearer plume of smoke. "Maybe that's the farm house over there. Someone has to be in charge of all this farm land and they aught to be able to at least tell us where we are. Then maybe we can figure out how to get back to the caravan." Zrokh finishes.

Turning back to the carriage Zrokh crouches again and starts trying to wriggle pieces of wreckage loose from around the wheels. "Assuming they weren't blasted somewhere else, or into little pieces for that matter." he adds, sotto voce.

HappyMerecat
2016-09-12, 07:40 PM
Andru

"If we all pitch in we can likely move the carriage, or at least help the horses." He moves into position to push the carriage.

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-12, 08:23 PM
Quintin wraps up the meat he collects from the horses and heads over to join Andru. "The old 'heave-ho,'" he comments. While waiting on the others, he adds, "The smoke at the distance is as good a place to start as any. Hopefully, they're friendly folk. I was able to get some meat. We can cook it up when we stop again."

Quiver
2016-09-12, 08:47 PM
"Don't think I'll be any help at pushing," the halfling admitted, scratching his sideburns.

"But a pull? Maybe. I just wouldn't wanna break the wheel." He glanced over, squinting into the distance. "'Less one of you fancy the idea of riding way off to get somethin' to fix it."

Then again, they probably didn't need a full gallop or anything; just a little bit of a nudge, to help the push. Just a little smidgeon of horse power.

Thank Desna I didn't say that out loud.. Boot was embarressed for evwn thinking it. The last thing he wanted was to be the comic relief hanger on.

He wanted to be helpful. So, instead of standing back, the halfling got to work coaxing the animals to a trot, obe eye focused on the snagged wheels.

So...guessing this would be a Handle Animal roll? Want to get the horses moving, but only a litte bit; work with the team to try and get the carriage out.

[roll0]

Also, perception; kerping an eye on the wheels. If they look like their going to break, want to stop Merry and Star and warn the others.

[roll1]

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-13, 04:13 PM
With everyone up and functional Quintin stands from the hastily-butchered horse carcass, on closer inspection most likely the one formerly named Lucky, with a good supply of meat. Easily enough to feed everyone for the coming night or next morning alone, if it comes to it.

As the conversation went thought turned to freeing the carriage and get moving while there is at least some light left. Lest the darkness bring something bigger and hungrier than carrion birds.

After the tall-folk take position to shift the stone preventing one of the wheels from turning Boot goes about getting Merryheart and Stardancer moving while the others start working at further budging the wreckage. Soon the collective efforts pay off, the offending stonework shifts, and the carriage comes free, the movements of wheels and hooves making a satisfying crunch on the ruined masonry.

All-in-all procuring the meat and freeing the Carriage took somewhere around the better part of ten minutes.

Quiver
2016-09-14, 06:05 PM
"Haha! That'll do it!" Boot grinned. He had to jump to one side to avoid being trampled by the horses or the carriage wheel, but that was a small price to pay; the sound of the masonry crunching as tge wheel freed itself was the most satisfying thing he'd heard all day.

'Alright. Now we'r getting somewhere.' He clambered up the steps, peered into the carriage. His crossbow bolts were splayed everywhere, of course, but they all seemed accounted for, at least. He scooped up a rough dozen, and climbed his way up into the drivers seat.

There -still in it's little alcove. His tiny crossbow. Heartstring. The best name he had beenable to come up with on short notice.

Fortunatly, it's string hadn't been torn, or frayed, or any of the other half dozen things that could have happened to it.

"Alright then," he called back. "'Sides from the mess, looks to melike we're ready to go."

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-14, 06:58 PM
"Good work, guys." The carriage was heavier than he expects, and so was happy that they were able to free it. They didn't need to be spending the night here.

Walking up to the carriage, Quintin opens the door and sets his pack inside. He pulls out his musket and checks to make sure it was clean and undamaged. With his sleeve, he polishes a bit of the metal. He knew that his weapon was rough and battered, but he still like to keep it as nice as he could.

Heading up to the front of the carriage, Quintin asks, "Do you mind if I join you up there, Boot? I figure it won't hurt to have second set of eyes on the look out."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-15, 10:44 AM
Following Quintin's lead, Zrokh stows his pack carefully inside the carriage. "Think I'll walk for a bit if nobody minds," he says rubbing his shoulder. "I always find a walk helps with sore muscles. Beside which, I'd rather not be stuck inside the carriage if this place turns hostile," he finishes. "In fact,"he says while carefully removing and folding his cloak, "I suppose it won't hurt to be ready for a fight," he continues, stowing the cloak in his pack in the carriage.

"I'm half amazed I didn't skewer myself in the... whatever that was," he says reaching over his shoulder to resettle the seven branched sword held virtually immobile on his back in a complex looking web of leather straps and odd sheaths designed by the monk himself. "Guess this thing actually works!" he says in a tone equal parts pride and vague amazement.

"So, off to the source of that smoke then?" he asks, settling back into a more serious tone. Glancing at the failing light Zrokh rubs the back of his neck with his left hand. "Should we just go right up or find a spot to camp for the night closer in a ways and then go the rest of the way with the morning light, do you think?"

HappyMerecat
2016-09-15, 08:38 PM
Andru

Andru deside to walk as well. He was still struggling with what had happened. It suddenly struck him, this could all be some dark nightmare.

Quiver
2016-09-16, 09:04 AM
"I won't mind having an extra set of eyes," the halfling agreed. He didn't say it, but he also wouldn't mind having that gun of Quintin's handy, either. If there was trouble, having someone to take the shots while he cracked the whip could be useful... not to mention his own, rather genuine, admiration of the weapon.

He frowned, stroking his red sideburns. "They might not be too happy at having people roll into their town so late at night," he allowed. He glanced up, at the birds gathering in the sky. "But I'd rather not be camping out in the middle of who-knows-where, personally..."

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-16, 04:58 PM
"Camping out between here and the smoke sounds reasonable. If they are farmers, they might get spooked by a carriage rolling up in the middle of the night. If they aren't farmers, or, rather, if they are worse than farmers, I think I'd rather have the daylight to get out of there quick."

Quintin climbs up into the carriage and take a seat next to the Halfling. He turns to Boot and say, "Ready to roll when you are."

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-20, 06:29 PM
With the group ready, you all set out. Given little option the dead are left to return to nature.

Having had the thought to travel partway towards the closer plume of smoke, Boot managing the horses with Quintin sat beside him firearm at the ready. Andru and Zrokh walking alongside.

It is not long before the group arrives at what looks to be a decent spot. A reasonably flat area free of rocks, beside which lies copse of trees that can offer shelter from rain and dropped branches for firewood. It is just over half an hour until nightfall.

Behind you the birds descend.

What Andru Notices:
While the others appraise the potential campsite you follow the horses gaze to a hollow under one of the trees, one that may have been a burrow. What can be said for sure however is that it is occupied.

The silhouette that can be seen is reminiscent of a goblin except for the too-small head, a shift revels a tail and an insinuation that it is perhaps a stout kobold, stout for a kobold anyway.

HappyMerecat
2016-09-20, 07:02 PM
Andru

Andru looks from the horses to one of the trees nearby. He speaks softly "Um ... we are not alone."

He moves a step or two towards the silhouette, a friendly smile on his face. "Hello friend. We mean you no harm."

Diplomacy [roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-21, 01:03 PM
Andru

Andru looks from the horses to one of the trees nearby. He speaks softly "Um ... we are not alone."

He moves a step or two towards the silhouette, a friendly smile on his face. "Hello friend. We mean you no harm."

Your attempts at coaxing the creature out fail as the reptile backs away further into its' cavity, with only a growl and what can best be called some hybrid of a chirp and a gurgle directed at you to show for it.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-22, 09:19 AM
Seeing that Andru is attempting to coax something out of hiding, Zrokh slowly approaches and kneels down. "My companion speaks the truth. We mean no harm to those who mean no harm to us. We were thinking about camping here for the night; do you know this area well? Could you tell us if this would be a good camp?"

Guess I'll give a [roll0] roll a shot too.

Quiver
2016-09-22, 05:59 PM
"Probably a good camp," Boot murdered. "Probably think food's walked straight up to it's door..."

Whatever it was. If it was even sentiment. Halflings and dwarves liked burrows and caves, bit so did snakes and bears. Living in a good campsite wasn't a case for intelligence.

He edged forwards, slowly and cautiously, looking for any sign this was more than just another predator...

Roll Nature?

[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-22, 06:50 PM
The creature shrinks back to the far wall of its little tunnel with the approach of the approach of Boot and Zrokh.

It is a crimson scaled reptilian on its hands and knees, about the size of Boot not counting for the stoop. Looking much like a kobold with a less draconic snout, digigrade legs, and four rows of spines down it's back with the central two longer and connected like fins down their length. It continues to make panicked noises but a particularly coordinated noise that might be a word of an unknown language can be heard.

Within the burrow is a large tangle of wild grasses and the odd stalk of grain that forms a carpet of sorts, likely to keep the creature warm.

What Boot recognises:
The creature staring into your eyes is a chupacabra, an uncommon creature most known for harassing small livestock, up to the size of a goat, drinking their blood but leaving the rest of the carcass. While not traditionally considered an intelligent creature chupacabrae are smarter than any common beast if the rumors are true.

Quiver
2016-09-24, 07:05 AM
The halflings eyes widened with shock, but he didn't say anything. A chupacabra might be a threat to small animals... but when you yourself were a small creature, such a thing became a very big threat indeed.

He debated reaching for his crowwbow; he could probably load it quickly enough, if not draw it. And, he reflected, he did have the bigfolk with him. That was an assurance.

He just wasn't sure if it was one he was willing to stake his blood on.

"I don't think it knows what we're saying," he said slowly. "I mean, I know people say chupacabra are smart, but there's a difference between being smart and being, you know, smart."

Are chupacabra usually considered violent? I'm guessing from you saying 'harrassing' rather than hunting they arne't, but I want to clarify.

HappyMerecat
2016-09-24, 02:32 PM
Andru

Andru smirks at the halfling. "I think you should have stopped at 'I don't think it knows what we're saying'".

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-24, 07:00 PM
Zrokh chuckles at himself as he straightens back up. "Guess that's what I get for trying to talk something out without seeing it first, eh? Chupacabra, you said. Some sort of animal then? Are they particularly dangerous or are these more the 'more scared of you' variety? " Zrokh asks, fiddling with the hilt of his sword a bit. "I don't really want to molest innocent wildlife, but if it's a clear danger I certainly don't want it hanging about while I sleep. Plus this area seems to be mostly farmland; if it's been harassing the local livestock the farmers here about might be appreciative of our ... intervention."

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-25, 11:03 AM
After cautiously observing the scene unfold from the carriage, Quintin slides down the ladder and begins heading over.

"A chupacabra, you say? That's very interesting. They are rather elusive, you know," he says with intrigue. He moves up to try to get a better look.

Roll for perception

[roll0] (the extra +2 above the perception is for favored enemy animals)

Quiver
2016-09-25, 11:50 AM
I wish they were more elusive," Boot murdered. Then, more loudly, and grudgingly, "They tend to creep up, kill something, then run away. They leave the body, and they hunt small things, so they aren't too much of a pest unless you're a goat. Or something the size of a gotl," he added pointedly.

As Quintin moved towards the burrow, Boot gulped, started readying his crossbow. Chupacabra didn't tend to bother groups, but even so...

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-26, 11:52 AM
Finally fed up with all the people clustering around the hollow the chupacabra makes a dash at, or perhaps just towards, towards Quintin hissing as it moves.

The chupacabra is not initiating combat (this would not be known in-character), if anyone is attacking please roll initiative. If anyone tries to grab it or something to that effect I will rule it as a grapple attempt (which in this case would not provoke an attack of opportunity due to surrounding circumstances).

If anyone is trying something else and the mechanics are unclear just ask.

Ruin Explorer
2016-09-27, 06:40 PM
Quintin steps back and aside toward Boot. He hoped the critter would dart past and into the surrounding woods, but, at the same time, he wanted to make an effort to protected the obviously perturbed Halfling. Reaching behind himself, he pulls out his Machete, preparing to attack if the chupacabra approached.

At least, that's what I'd like to do. If I need to roll initiative first, I understand.

Initiative:
[roll0]

HappyMerecat
2016-09-27, 08:31 PM
Andru

Seeing the creature make a dash towards Boot, Andru kicks dirt from the ground into the creatures eyes to throw off it's ability to do anything dangerous.

Initiative [roll0]
Dirty Trick [roll1] would be vs CMB, no attack of opportunity due to improved Dirty trick

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-28, 09:07 AM
Seeing the creature spook Zrokh draws his seven-branched sword, preparing himself for a fight if one is necessary. If it tries to run just let it, I don't think it's any real danger to us.

Quiver
2016-09-28, 06:31 PM
"No threat to you maybe," the halfling murdered. And, hopefully, not to the horses, either.

He fumbled, loading a bolt onto his crossbow. He was normally better at it, but he was also not normally threatened with the presence of. wannabe vampire.

Want to try and read it's mood, and see if it is more likely to attack or run away.

Animal handling!
[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2016-09-29, 03:34 PM
The chupacabra manages to dash sideways on reflex upon noticing Andru's punted clod, taking a second by some roots to wipe at what little dirt was accurate. The creature follows up by returning to its prior path as fast as it can manage.

Boot's Handle Animal results:
Given the creature's pace and prior behaviour, backing away rather than showing clear aggression, it is most likely that the chupacabra is attempting to flee. This is supported by how it just returned to its prior path even after Quintin, in whose direction it was traveling, moved out of the way.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-09-30, 09:10 PM
When the chupababra doesn't immediately retaliate against Quintin Zrokh relaxes a bit. He begins sheathing his sword, a rather delicate process and fairly interesting to those who've never seen it before, as Zrokh has to sheathe each of nine branching blades and the point of the central stalk of metal nearly simultaneously in their individual sheathes, though Zrokh's intimate familiarity with his self designed system makes it look a fairly simple affair.
We'll have to keep an extra eye out on the horses, but I doubt any of us were thinking of camping out here in the unknown without setting watches anyway. I''ll take middle watch; broken sleep doesn't bother me all that much. I think Boot should be left out of tonight's watch schedule though, since he's the only one any good at handling the horses and they're our only means of faster-than-foot travel after all; we'll want him well rested, Zrokh finishes, with a small smile, more a matter of the eyes than the lips, at Boot.

Quiver
2016-10-03, 03:12 PM
"Good riddance." The halfling spat in the direction of the fleeing beast. He might not have had much of a hand in chasing it off, but he managed to look pleased with himself all the same. He lowered the crossbow, removing the bolt.

"I won't say no to a full night rest," He admitted, looking at the others a little sheepishly.

Except...
Was that all he was? The driver? It was a speciality, of course, but then, it wasn't much compared to what the rest were capable of.

Suddenly, a full nights sleep felt a lot like 'not carrying the load'...

Ruin Explorer
2016-10-03, 09:57 PM
Slipping his machete back into its scabbard with his muscles relaxing, Quintin begins to head back towards the carriage to get his bag. "Well, that's the end of that. Cute little fellow." Reaching the carriage, Quintin takes his backpack and begins prepping a simple camp.

"I'd be fine with taking the first watch," he comments. "Boot, if you'd like to take a night off, go ahead. Who knows when you'll get another." He tried to stay as calm as he could. The distraction of the chupacabra was refreshing, but it was starting to fade. Their abrupt displacement and separation from the rest caravan weighed on his mind. He wondered if he would be able to get any sleep at all tonight.

HappyMerecat
2016-10-04, 05:26 AM
Andru

"i'd prefer first watch as I am used to staying up later, but second watch will work as well."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-10-04, 09:55 AM
"Well, it had been my intention to take second watch, " Zrokh says, walking to the carriage and grabbing his backpack out. "But if you'd prefer it I suppose third works just as well," He finishes, dropping his pack nearly at random and lying on the earth, using the pack as a pillow.

ThreadNecro5
2016-10-04, 01:54 PM
With immediate issues dealt with, you all get around to organising who takes what shift on watch. The plan being Quintin going first, followed by Andru, and finally with Zrokh keeping watch until morning. Boot sleeping through the night.

As camp is made, the horses tended to, and any other things that needed dealt with are complete, the day fades to twilight before the looming night falls.

And helping the watch along is a moon, shedding its light. Not the moon any of you are used to, with its familiar light. Appearing from the empty sky comes the crimson oval that is the moon, lighting the surroundings that little bit that one could hunt by.

As this new oddity sinks in the landscape almost seems to shift. The shadows deepen. The edge of some phantom noise can be almost-heard. The very ground beneath you can be mistaken for some blood-slick Abyssal battleground. These and more paranoia-inducing aspects take hold about you all. As one the same thought comes unbidden to you all: A Hunters Moon.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-10-05, 10:07 AM
Zrokh goes about the task of setting up camp mostly by doing as he's told and helping where he can until the camp is set up, figuring that the people who have more complex idea of setting up camp than his usual lay-on-the-ground-and-sleep probably know what they're doing.

As he's shifting things around in his pack and going through the arduous trial and error process of de-rocking his sleeping area the moon begins to rise. At first Zrokh is fairly oblivious to this routine occurrence, but as this feeling of vague unease, disconnected from any obvious source grows he finally looks around and realizes that he is very much not in any place he's ever been before.

"Uh. Guys... is anyone else seeing this? I don't think we were just teleported a few miles."

Ruin Explorer
2016-10-08, 04:44 PM
Quintin will start a small fire to cook the horse meat.

As the sky changes, Quintin begins to tense and grow more alert. His eyes shift around the makeshift camp; his ears twitch at to the sounds of the crackling fire. He responds to Zrokh, "Yeah, I see it. What forsaken place have we landed in?"

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-10-09, 08:04 AM
"I've no idea," Zrokh responds, standing again and unconsciously moving closer to Quintin. "I dabble a bit," he continues, barely audible, starring up at the moon all the while, " with magic. Well, items anyway. I'm vaguely aware that there are other planes of existence some magic items draw their power from, but... I never really learned anything about them. Kinda wish I had now..." he trails off, wandering a bit toward the fire.

"One thing's for sure," he continues in a stronger voice as he holds his hands out over the fire, not realizing that he's trying to warm a chill that isn't physical, "Getting home isn't going to be as simple as getting some directions."

Ruin Explorer
2016-10-10, 03:27 PM
Quintin simply nods his head in response. This was certainly going to be a new experience. Hopefully some of the locals were pleasant folk.

HappyMerecat
2016-10-10, 09:55 PM
Andru

Andru stares up at the sky for a while. "We knew we were far away ... maybe we are further than we ever thought."

ThreadNecro5
2016-10-11, 04:05 PM
So came the night. And with it your vigil.

First was Quintin. Despite the ambiance of your watch it swiftly becomes apparent none of you are in any immediate danger, danger that makes itself known to you anyway. Unfortunately you became sure of some off noise that is definitely no figment of the mind. As the hours continue the only immediate concern is the swift chilling breeze that picks up, heading both north and west of the campsite when facing the direction you came from.

Thankfully Quintin's watch passes without incident, even if the wind has grown ever colder. Next is Andru, woken to the cold.

The cold and the rain that is, as even the weather seems eager to take a snap at your metaphorical flanks. The rain, almost looking like a spray of blood in the moonlight, clings to the edges of everything as a frost forms. Your breath forms a ruddy mist as you breathe in the chill, it is a small mercy to have the cover due to the trees. The howl of wolves makes itself known, close too. the death cry of a deer comes soon after.

The final leg of the night comes. As does the decently rested Zrokh's turn. Yet little happens. It is not until the first ray of dawn that anything of note happens. From a dense group of bushes and shrubs a short distance away the head of some lupine beast is illuminated from within the moon-born shadow. Easily larger than the horses the lurking beast gazes at you before it slinks back, vanishing alongside the moon. The sudden disappearance of its red light giving the night a last pulse of blackness.

You and your fellows have survived the night and morning has came, light shining in the frost almost in welcoming.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-10-15, 01:07 PM
Zrokh spends most of his watch walking the perimeter of the little encampment trying not to stare at the moon. As the strange moon slowly sinks and is supplanted by the familiar seeming light of day Zrokh wanders back into the center of camp, preparing to wake the others. At the faint rustle of the bushes Zrokh at first thinks that one of his party awoke early and was making use of it, but as he turns to glance in that direction freezes. As a thousand thoughts flit across his mind all at once, chief among them being big, really, oh wow that's really big, he freezes for a moment. While Zrokh is still struggling to decide if he should stay quiet or shout to wake the others or maybe attack it, oh crap it's so big, it makes the decision for him by simply leaving.

Following another moment of frozen indecision Zrokh goes about waking the others; the sooner they set out the better. I really don't want to spend another night out here.

HappyMerecat
2016-10-16, 06:19 PM
Andru

Andru rises in the morning and sets about packing up his gear. The sooner they are off the sooner they can find someone to speak to who can tell them about where they are.

Ruin Explorer
2016-10-18, 04:23 PM
In the morning, Quinten puts out the remain embers of the fire. He checks his gear, making sure he has all of his key items.

"Well, it seems like nothing went wrong last night. How'd you guys sleep? I had some dreams that made me toss and turn. Doubtless they were brought on by that moon."

Edit: Upon hearing of the strange animal, Quinten searches the surrounding area for tracks.

Survival 7 ranks + 1/2 level (1)

1d20+8

After putting out the fire, Quinten is ready to head out towards the smoke they had seen the day before.

ThreadNecro5
2016-10-20, 06:25 PM
Quinten's investigation:

Inspecting the area in and around the bushes the beast was seen not a trace can be found. Given the very definite sighting of this creature it is either some master at traversing the surrounding countryside, or more likely, It possesses some magical ability that concealed its tracks. Assuming this thing even walked by conventional means.

Everyone sets forth:
With nothing turning up, everyone gets on the road, heading towards the location of the smoke the prior afternoon. During preparations it becomes apparent that Boot is stuck sleeping in, but the horses cooperate none the less.

The chill of the night is slowly being replaced by the sun's warmth, it is however still notably cold. A fact which the crunch of frost beneath the group makes apparent.

It is not long into your short journey until your designation makes itself clear. An curiously wide, easily half again as large as need-be, and ill-maintained path leads large two-storey farmhouse, with the bottom half of the building reinforced with stone and the remainder being wood. To the buildings left a decent-sized barn and stable is evident, To the buildings right are several fenced-off areas, one holding swine, another fowl, and the largest features two kinds of plant from a curtesy inspection.

Near the entrance to the path is what looks like a small shrine of carved stone shining form the frost, forming a gauntleted holding a flanged mace aloft. The weapon's head itself is not a solid piece but rather is composed of metal bars forming the outline, with an unlit oil lantern residing within integrated into the design.

On approach the resident of the farmhouse is found starting work, walking alongside mule pulling a small cart. He seems to be an elderly human, Ulfen if one had to guess, dressed in simple clothing worn under furs. To his side another creature runs along keeping pace but its features cannot be clearly seen.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-10-23, 10:07 AM
Consciously keeping his hands in view and away from his weapon, Zrokh jogs out ahead of the others a little bit, approaching the farmer. "Hello the farm! We don't mean to intrude, but my friends and I are a bit... lost. I suppose you could tell us a bit about where we are?"

ThreadNecro5
2016-10-23, 04:25 PM
Consciously keeping his hands in view and away from his weapon, Zrokh jogs out ahead of the others a little bit, approaching the farmer. "Hello the farm! We don't mean to intrude, but my friends and I are a bit... lost. I suppose you could tell us a bit about where we are?"

On approach to the old timer you find a few things odd, first: What at first looked like a walking cane is in fact a small battleaxe pulling double duty as one. Second: In the back of the cart is not only the standard farming tools and a backpack, but also a loaded crossbow and ample bolts to pincushion pretty much whatever you could expect to run into (although given the prior night what you don't expect can get pretty large indeed).

But by far the oddest thing around this man is the mastiff sized reptile hissing at you as you draw close curling around his legs, with two fanged heads sprouting from it but with necks like some constrictor snake. One head rears up at you, teeth bared, and the other sneaks ready to take your flank. hatever this creature is it also appears to emit a foul musk when distressed.

"Down!" barks the farmer before his pet can try something.

"Southerners are ya" he continues, the creature at his feet calming, Well the most importing thing to know is that your in Lord Steinhauser's domain, after that it depends what your looking for, Where are you heading?"

Before you can answer however he quickly butting in on his own question, speaking slowly as if this will be important. "You know that winter's just here right?" waving over what frost is still around "Not long now and them northern savages will show, this far down you have around a month at most". After this utterance he relaxes somewhat.

"But first drag yer companions over, no need to be shy, if anyone wants a bite I've some stuff in my pack" he finishes with a friendly grin, if one missing a few teeth.

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-11, 05:32 PM
While dragging his backpack over the farmer's brow raised as a sudden thought strikes him. he turn to look back at Zrokh

"Now I think I recall where I heard that accent. I found some people hurt in what looked like something supernatural. You by any chance missing people? One looks like the sort who would be in the woods year round, he might even associate wit' elves. The other looks like some manner of priest, 'don't recognise the symbol he had, looked like a butterfly. Had a gold streak in his hair.

Before anyone can reply he finishes with "I am Bjhartel, by the way.

From behind the carriage a pair of wagons has appeared and are coming closer. In the back of one is two humans, a man who is clearly the oldest among the group and a younger woman. In the other wagon is a male orc and a woman with a small pair of horns. Among them is a few shared features that speak of them being kin.

Conall and Sendal's Perspective:

Conall and Sendal had woken about an hour and a half ago in a large square room with a bed along two of the walls. The room was fairly normal, the furnishings were simple and mostly made of wood and furs. a desk, stool, and wardrobe was provided. in front of the desk was a window. The only oddity was the high ceilings, it looked sized for something twice the height of a human and the door was built to match.

As far as the two of you were concerned you were both slightly wounded and had received treatment, Conall having some bruising around one eye and Sendal having a bandage along one arm. You were both otherwise fit enough.

An examination of the room lead to you both finding your things inside the wardrobe and atop of the desk a note is found.

'Wellcome to my home. I am Bjhartel. I found you both hurt out in the woods so I brought you here and gave treatement. Your things are in the wardrobe. Make yourselves known by opening the door and giving a knock. I will bring food.'

When you two did make yourself known it was only a short wait, before Bjhartel came with the promised food, two smallish bowels of stew and some bread. After placing them on the desk he then asks you both to wait a moment and then leaves only to return with spoon, mugs, and a bottle of some local alcohol. You were also slightly pestered by some kind of two headed lizard that was treated like a pet.

As the frosty morning continued Bjhartel made preparations to start the harvest and was quickly interrupted. Looking outside you both see that it is, somehow, a carriage from the caravan you were both in when the teleportation accident occurred, and outside was Zrokh and Andru. The Carrage itself belonged to the Halfling Boot, but he is not in sight.

Celica's Perspective:

You had just reached the farmhouse belonging to your Grandfather Bjhartel when the unusual sight of a carriage of foreign-looking make greets you alongside it. You and your kin continue onward. Your brother Guthrr shrugs beside you as the rest of you turn to look at the orc, who was usually the one who knew about all the travellers who pass though the area. At least the ones who go to the tavern. Your father and sister are in the other wagon. You are only a sprint away from the point Bjhartel is standing, speaking with someone. As always his demihydra, Wiera, is at his feet.

Ceralune
2016-11-11, 06:07 PM
The wagon clattered as it wobbled over the uneven road. A woman dressed in red sits atop it, alongside her brother. She's fingering one of the golden twists dangling from her ears, with a bored expression on her face. Remind me again why we're here, Alcydine? Celica lets out a small sigh, her breath becoming a small swirl of mist before it dissipates in the chilled air. Why did we decide to play along with these people?

Your father requested that you come and help your aging grandparents with the harvest. Whom you have never met before. I suggested that you may wish to see them while you still can. They will not live forever.

So this is your fault, she grumbled.

I don't see how any of this could be my doing when I cannot even move, let alone force you to do anything you do not wish to do.

As Celica is about to retort, she realizes that they have reached the farmhouse, and they are not alone. A carriage is perched nearby, with its supposed travelers nearby. Oh?

"Did they invite other people to come help with the harvest? Does this mean that they don't need me and I can leave?" Celica mumbles, half to herself. They don't look like they're from around here....

She turns to the orc and asks, "Who are they?"

Celica rolls her eyes and descends from the wagon to figure it out herself. As she nears the strange group, she raises an eyebrow at their appearance. Sheesh, what happened to them? They look like they went a few rounds with a bear. And what's with the weird clothes?

She remembers that she's supposed to greet her grandfather, according to what her father said earlier."Good morning... grandfather," she says, stumbling only slightly over the reference to this man as her kin. Having gotten that out of the way, she then asks him, "Who might these people be?"

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-11, 07:54 PM
"Not a clue" says Guthrr. "They're not from around here, 'been seen in neither of the taverns. Hey, If you share a line of work Consider asking to join up." he barks out with a laugh. "Whoever they are they don't look like they associate with any of the shiftier types that have been around".

As Celica questions her grandfather he adjusts his position slightly so that he is mostly leaning against his battleaxe. The creature at his feet turns a head in the newcomers direction, going in for a smell, and returns to its prior position satisfied.

"Ah, you're all here. Well, I'm not that sure, I was just questioning them about that myself. But Runa, or whatever you're calling yourself now, haven't you been grown' since I last saw you. Where have you been, living in a hole in the ground" he says with a good-humoured wink. "Last I saw you, you were not even the length of my forearm." he turns to the stranger beside him to continue the nostalga-trip "Not that that stopped her from setting a bale of hay on fire"!

Ceralune
2016-11-11, 09:40 PM
Celica starts as the old man talks about days from the past. Ohh great, I was really hoping he hadn't known me from before. Well today just got a lot worse.

"Ohh, you know, I've been here and there." She grits her teeth as she speaks, but somehow maintains a tight smile.

Eager to prevent another trip down memory lane, she turns to the strangers. "So. Who are you?" she asks. "And what are you doing here?"

Amanil
2016-11-11, 11:29 PM
Considering that he had no idea how he'd gotten here, let alone where the rest of his companions aside from Conall were, Sendal felt a moment of relief upon seeing the familiar carriage and its occupants.

"Conall, it seems some of the others made it as well. Perhaps between us we can make sense of where we are."

"I see our paths have not yet forked," he stated as he made to greet his travelling companions. He left his spear inside, as was his usual custom when a guest at another's abode, along with his backpack. He felt at ease despite the uncertainty; this was just another stop along the way, and if he was meant harm he would not have been so well cared for.

"And many thanks again to you and your family, Bjhartel, we are indebted to you."

~Corvus~
2016-11-13, 04:06 PM
Connall

Connall rubs his eye and then his head. He looks dizzy; a rush of sensation hits him, as if the last hour-and-a-half had been delayed and just snapped into his head like a fruit tree's branch that escapes from grasping hands and returns to its tree. He clutches his hands to his quarterstaff, and looks at it as one might a trustworthy pet.

He takes a steady breath and looks at his Aasimar companion. Sendal, the earlier injuries we had just hit me full force. My head feels terrible. Would you mind granting me the benefit of some healing?

Amanil
2016-11-13, 09:43 PM
"It is bruising, my friend. I can perhaps put together a poultice that would ease your pain somewhat, but I am not certain what sorts of moss can be found in these parts. I'm sure our host would be able to help with that," Sendal nodded reassuringly.

"I've found that folk in remote places know best when it comes to dealing with bumps and scrapes, my elbow feels much better already," he continued, flexing it underneath the bandage.

~Corvus~
2016-11-13, 11:01 PM
Connall

The druid frowns and tilts his head. "Not even an Orison? My head feels like it is bleeding inside. If I fall over dead because you refused to seriously treat the injury of a fellow, I will hold you responsible."

He gives the cleric a level stare, and then turns to Celica. "I am Connall D'Hild, of the Worldspine Druidic circle. This companion of mine, despite his apparently less charitable than normal mood, is Sendal, a cleric, pilgrim and fellow restless traveler. The both of us, though not kindred spirits, share the same love for adventure. Pray, tell us...erm...my lady, do you know where we are?"

Ceralune
2016-11-13, 11:13 PM
Celica is distracted from the two in front of the carriage by the sound of a door opening. Two more men come out of a building, looking as dazed and almost in as poor shape as the two in front of her. There are more? Were strange men on a two for one sale?

She tries not to snort at the more rugged-looking man's reference to her as a lady. "My name is Celica." She glances at Bjhartel with a brief, but pointed look, then continues. "You're on this man's" - she pauses to jab a thumb towards Bjhartel - "farm, in the nation of Duesea. Tell me, how does a group of adventure-loving travelers end up with no sense of where they are?" she asks, raising an eyebrow in skepticism.

Amanil
2016-11-13, 11:34 PM
To Conall's comments Sendal simply smiled. He did not feel in the mood to butt divine heads again with the druid, who while an outdoors type evidently held a different view of the world.

"Your blessings are not taken for granted by I, Great Dreamer, do not take his believed entitlement to them as malice," he silently thought.

To Celica he nodded as Conall introduced him, tapping his own chest at four points quickly and reflexively with thumb and middle finger- his right collarbone, over his heart, his left collarbone, then opposite his heart - the shape of a butterfly, the symbol of Desna, in a simple blessing of sorts.

"Duesea... I do not believe that is where we were headed, nor indeed en route. Truly, we have been displaced somewhat..." he mused. "One of our number thought to travel via the arcane arts to expedite our journey. It seems such an act... well, it appears to have delayed us in reaching our destination, to say the least.

"What of the rest of the caravan?" he asked his refound comrades.

~Corvus~
2016-11-13, 11:40 PM
Connall

"Celica, if I told you plainly, I'm afraid you would not believe me. Instead, I shall tell you a partial truth, as it is much more palatable. We are from a faraway land, and in....arriving here with undesired expedience, not only lost consciousness but also gained some bruises. I myself find my memory lacking of the last several hours. We have this farmer to thank for excellent hospitality." He gives a nod to Bjhartel.

Ceralune
2016-11-14, 12:03 AM
Celica's eyes darken slightly at Conall's explanation for the partial truth, but her expression grows interested as Sendal mentions the arcane. "Huh... I wonder just how far you traveled." She regards them all with new eyes. I should ask them-

Celica, perhaps you should reconsider interrogating them further.

Ehhh? But Alcydine, we've probably never met anyone like them before. They sure look the part of magically-displaced foreigner. I might never get this chance again.

Your father told you to mind your manners while you're at your grandparents' farm.

But he meant to my grandparents, not to strangers!

He never specified. Besides, they are thanking your grandfather now.

At Alcydine's easy reference to Bjhartel as her grandfather, her expression sours again. He's right, the moment has passed. Fine... later then.

~Corvus~
2016-11-14, 12:38 AM
Connall

The druid's eyes tighten with a smile and a light laugh. "I wonder too."

He turns to Celica's grandfather. "Good farmer, if there is anything I may do for you, please let me know. If I can, I shall do to the best of my many talents. You have gone above and beyond your need as a denizen of this fair world.

...Does anyone have a map of this land? Even a crude drawing?

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-14, 10:24 AM
Somewhat overwhelmed by the sudden appearance of two more members of the caravan Zrokh is momentarily struck speechless, a fact that seems to slow the conversation around him not a whit.

Taking in the almost familiar banter with a small smile, Zrokh relaxes a bit, his weight settling from the balls of his feet back to his heels and eventually back to the balls of his feet; a sort of minor rocking motion that Zrokh seems unaware of, but somehow comforted by.

As the conversation seems to reach one of those natural lulls that crop up from time to time Zrokh's glance flickers between Celica and her grandfather.

"To answer your earlier question, my name is Zrokh. I am a wanderer who happened to join up with this caravan some time back, and as Sendal has said our arrival here was both magically aided and unexpected. Gnomes will be gnomes, as they say. And as Conall said we are from a far distant land. As to how far, well... let's just say that where we're from the night is not so..tense."

~Corvus~
2016-11-14, 11:47 AM
Conall

The druid gives a frown. It made little sense about the night not being tense. But perhaps this place was worse than Golarion.

"Tell me, if not a map, then how about your deities? What are they like?" This question is to either Celica or her grandfather.

Ceralune
2016-11-14, 04:43 PM
As the strange travelers ramble cryptically about the circumstances that brought them here and where they are from, Celica grows more and more confused. She has agreed to Alcydine that she won't question them too intensively about these things, and now she is begrudgingly forced to conclude that he was right - it sounds like they aren't even remotely clear about what happened to them, and in trying to describe where they come from they have produced vague, nonsensical descriptions that include pure gibberish. Maybe once they've had some rest, she can get some answers. Celica is perplexed at what this "gnome" could be, but if they brought one along from... wherever they came from, she quietly hopes it isn't poisonous.

"I have maps of Duesea and Loka with me, but if you are from outside the continent those won't be much help in determining how far you've come." Celica pulls out the maps from her bag and lets the strangers examine them. "As for our deities... what one would expect, I suppose. Kaji, Carak, and Disbar are ones I remember from the top of my head. I'm not," she frowns slightly, "the most informed on religious matters, but someone else around here might be if it's a topic you're passionate about."

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-14, 06:45 PM
Bjhartel turns to address both Connal and Zrokh.

"As far as more uncommon gods go, we have temples to Praitaph and Mokihi back in town that have always been there. They share some sunken ruins by the shore". He turns slightly closer to Zrokh "an' that was a shrine to Rugdos you and yer shy friend passed but anyone would know that".

He sits and thinks for a second. "we also got some Gedjoenan cult moved in from the north a while back. I don't often trust things from up there, but they're a decent enough sort. They offer healing and tools for a price".

He turns back to Connal. "Well if you are offerin' would it be too much to ask if you can help with the harvest? If your companions also don't have too much of a problem with it, might take a day or two. I can continue to provide food and logings and when we finish I'm heading to town anyway, we can have someone show you the sights. Being in a group would keep bandits away, and they say a werewolf is about. I heard someone say they found footprints and it was big enough for an ogre, but there's no ogres here." He eliminates that last idea with a handwave.

Bjhartel returns to his backpack and proceeds to hand it over to Zrokh. "You can help yourself to some of this, the wooden container is full of mixed dried berries and the large white fruits beside it are sea-apples. 'Some dried meat wrapped up at the bottom too.

"In my youth I travelled a bit. If you say where you are from

Amanil
2016-11-14, 07:12 PM
Sendal looked a little befuddled as the names of unfamiliar gods rolled off of the locals' tongues, but he soon dismissed it; he was far from a zealot or preacher, and the world was undeniably watched over by a plethora of pantheons. He did look visibly concerned at the mention of a werewolf, though. Lycanthropy was a little too free-spirited for Sendal's tastes, especially as the campfire stories about them focused on their malicious tendencies.

"The least we could do is a little manual labour, given that it's quite possible Connal and I owe you and your family our lives if anything more sinister had stumbled upon us instead of you. I would be more than happy to assist in whatever way I can, whether those not indebted to you chose to stay a while or not."

To pledge to remain somewhere for a time was not something Sendal did lightly, but he truly did owe the man, and what was a day or three of labour? It would provide a good opportunity to take stock and to try to piece together more about their new locality.

I'm making assumptions about where he was going with that bit of cut off text.
"As is the way with wanderers we hail from different places, but I believe we all set out in Varisia together. I'm no student of geography, but I do not think Duesea lies along its borders..."

Ceralune
2016-11-14, 08:12 PM
Celica's eyes gleam in joy as the strangers, one by one, agree to help with the harvest. So they'll be staying after all, it seems.

Patience does have its benefits, yes? While the words ring out in her mind without a trace of sarcasm, Celica swears Alcydine must be very satisfied at being right. Ignoring him, she catches more gibberish from Sendal. "Never heard of a 'Varisia' before. Bjhartel?" She turns to the elderly man, standing next to her.

~Corvus~
2016-11-14, 08:43 PM
Sendal
"The least we could do is a little manual labour, given that it's quite possible Connal and I owe you and your family our lives if anything more sinister had stumbled upon us instead of you. I would be more than happy to assist in whatever way I can, whether those not indebted to you chose to stay a while or not."

Connall nods in affirmation of the cleric's assertion. "We can agree on this point," he rumbles with a grin. "It has been a while since I have done some good working of the land. I am, after all, a druid of the second circle, and I may even be able to lend a magical hand on the morrow. I could...

I could talk to local birds for you, or I could tell you the weather for a few days, I could even cause vines or plants to grow for a bit, and extend the efforts of their growth, or I could even enable a few beasts of burden you have to carry a load you didn't think possible.

Please think it over. We are here to help, and if I understand it is Harvest season, I may even be able to convince some local animals to lend their aid as well. You'd be surprised what my magics can do."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-15, 11:48 AM
"Meat we have in plenty, unfortunately; some of our horses didn't make the transition very well and since we didn't have the good fortune to have landed with either of these fellows," Zrokh says, nodding to Sendal and Conall while rummaging through the pack, "we decided the only humane thing to do was to put them down. I don't like to waste anything if it can be helped so we butchered the poor beasts as best we could and cooked up the meat before we started out for your farm here. I for one, though, would be happy to have some fruit or a vegetable of some kind; not being Wer Xiekivi* I do need something other than meat once in a while, more's the pity," he finishes, pulling out a likely looking candidate from the pack and biting into it as he hands the pack back.

"As to the matter of labor, I'm afraid I won't be quite as useful as our Druid friend, and I've no real experience farming, but I've never been one to shirk a little manual labor and it does appear we owe you a debt of gratitude."

Replaying the last thing Sendal said in his head Zrokh realizes that these two were unconscious and indoors through the night and might not realize how far from home they really are. Looking to Bjhartel Zrokh decides to take a risk and stop being so circumspect. "To add to what my friend has said of our origins... well. We come from a place where the moon is not red, for one. Where the night may be dangerous but any feeling of dread comes strictly from one's self, not as an emanation in the night. I have some minor experience with magic, mostly in the form of magic items, and my only guess as to what happened to us is that when the gnome tried to activate the teleportation effect of her staff it went wrong somehow and sent us to a different plane rather than a different place. " As he finishes his explanation Zrokh studies the faces of the strangers nearby, hopping they don't think him mad.

So, a sense motive, just cuz I haven't rolled anything in a while. [roll0]

*Also, for anyone who speaks draconic it loosely translates as simply "the people" and is generally a term that dragon adherents use to describe, well, dragons, obviously. Oh, and for those curious I used this site (http://draconic.twilightrealm.com/) for the draconic.

Ceralune
2016-11-15, 12:46 PM
At Zrokh's mention of the red moon, Celica grows pensive once more. I remember... reading some of the stories in that library. Many of them mentioned a pale white moon when describing the night. I always chalked it up to the writers' fanciful imaginations, but perhaps there are other planes where the moon is not the red color that it is here? What do you think, Alcydine?

I have only ever served the souls from your mortal plane, so I have not heard of such a phenomenon. None of the souls I have ever guided ever mentioned anything different from what you know. But I would think it is quite possible. As though something has occurred to Alcydine, he pauses and then slowly remarks, The fact that I have never heard of a different moon from the one you see every night may mean something in itself. All of the countless dead whom I have guided saw the same moon. Which means, if they are being truthful, these strangers may indeed come from somewhere else entirely.

Celica stops herself from physically reacting, but asks him, You're certain that they never described a different moon?

Believe me, child, when so many tell you the same tales over millennia, you too would remember if there was one who told it differently.

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-15, 05:26 PM
"Well that's quite a lot to think about." says Bjhartel. A white moon, something called a gnome, and what is a 'Wear zeekhvee'?" he says, butchering the Draconic. "First however can you get the man in the carriage over, I'm organisin' things with everyone inside first now that my family's here. We're all doing some work and for politeness you should introduce yourselves." after this he turns to the wagons of his kin who have began unpacking a few empty crates.

"Everyone inside as usual, my guests here are helping out this year!" afterword he turns to the creature at his feet and points at his mule. "Wiera, guard".

Ceralune
2016-11-15, 06:02 PM
Family? Ohh... right. She had almost forgotten about those people. Celica is about to sneak away with the newcomers to see who this other person in the carriage might be, but she sees someone - her brother? - wave her back towards the wagons.

This being her first time here, at least in her memory, she makes a very good case in her mind for why she should go with the newcomers. We can have no idea what this place is like together? I don't know what this place is like either. Of course, Alcydine then replies, If you sneak off now, your father will surely have something to say about it. Disgruntled, but not quite willing to put up with another speech from her father, she slinks back to the wagon to help them unpack.

I suppose discussion will have to wait, she thinks reluctantly.

Before Celica reaches the wagon, she suddenly stops and smirks to herself. Partly out of the need for efficiency, and partly out of spite, she chants the words that allow her and Alcydine to fuse. A minute later, the translucent form of the psychopomp has manifested itself around her, bringing with it his strength. They reach the crates and lift them easily, following the others inside.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-16, 10:06 AM
"Gladly," Zrokh replies as he turns and steps back over to the carriage. Reaching in he gives Boot a gentle shake of the shoulder. "Up and at'em sleepy head. There's been a turn of events and we're going to be farmhands for a bit. You could probably find something useful to do with the horses, I'd imagine. At any rate, you're nap's over chum!" he finishes in a relentlessly cheerful tone.

Ceralune
2016-11-17, 11:21 AM
After Celica and Alcydine finish moving crates inside, she mutters a word and Alcydine's form disperses and vanishes. Hoping that she has unnerved people enough so that they won't put up a fight, she rushes back towards the door, heading outside to meet the sleeping members of the group of plane-travelers. If anyone tries to stop her, she does not stop for them but remarks, "Relax, I'll still stand with you people when we make introductions."

So you believe them then? Alcydine asks, catching how the word 'foreigner' has changed in her mind to something else entirely. So far, I have no reason not to, she replies casually. However, both of them understand just how excited she is at the prospect of them having actually traversed planes. While Celica certainly didn't consider it an impossible feat, she still had never met anyone who had accomplished it. She very much so wants it to be true.

As she approaches the carriage, she notices that two of the three she met from before are still gathered around it, and sees one prone figure near the front of the carriage that she hadn't noticed before. With her darkvision, she sees Zrokh in the back trying to wake another prone... child? If the person's size was anything to go by. Huh. Perhaps one of these men is his father? I didn't know they brought children on their travels.

Amanil
2016-11-17, 12:48 PM
Sendal walked with the group heading inside. He seemed content to not engage in conversation for the time being, instead simply listening to those around him.

He observed Celica with some curiosity, noting the odd protrusions through her hair. Not one to judge a book by its cover, though, especially in an unusual land, he kept quiet for now and would meditate on what it meant later.

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-17, 06:36 PM
"Ah!, Spiders"!

Boot rises with a start and looks around. "Where are we, trouble?

He precedes to get out of the carriage quickly, grabbing his weapon.

From outside Celica sees the smaller of the two passengers emerge, almost human but half the height, with slightly pointed ears, and broad bare feet.

"Not trouble." says the groggy Halfling, looking around to see the subtly horned woman outside. "Hello".

He turns back to Zrokh "Have we figured out where we are yet"?

Ceralune
2016-11-17, 07:12 PM
As Boot stands up inside the carriage, Celica's eyes widen. I must be seeing this incorrectly....

Once Boot is outside, under the light of day, Celica is somewhat incredulous, but mostly dismayed, at the sight of a creature unlike any she has ever seen before. Okay... so, not seeing anything incorrectly after all. This is either a tragically disfigured child or a horrendously short adult man!

She doesn't respond to the greeting, instead standing there unable to hide her shock. Eventually, she begins moving toward the building that Bjhartel wanted everyone to meet at. Finally, during the short walk, she hesitantly pokes the nearest plane-traveler - his name is Connall, if she recalls correctly? - and whispers in a rush, "What unfortunate tragedy befell this person?! Why is he so disfigured?! Does he not have any gold to spare on shoes?!" Noticing the ears, a thought occurs to her as she realizes she has never seen a half-elf, what with the elves' tendency to stay in the Wildwood, and she finishes her barrage of questions with, "Is THIS what happens when a human and an elf... you know...." She makes a gesture that can only be interpreted as one thing, really. "No wonder they keep to themselves. I don't see how that would result in such shortness though."

HappyMerecat
2016-11-17, 09:36 PM
Andru

Andru followed the group inside, his thoughts lost in the events of the last few days. He had been paying attention in only the most rudimentary manner, it was like his mind was lost in a fog.

~Corvus~
2016-11-17, 10:27 PM
Conall

The Druid helps to move boxes. He isn't sure this is the best use of his talents, but help was help. That Ceralune likes to talk, he thinks. Better than the alternative, I guess.

Celica
"Are your friends all awake? Shall we head inside?"[/color] and leads them back towards the building where everyone has gathered.

He is brought out of his own musings by Celica's eidolon-infused voice. "Erm. I don't think all my friends are here, but..." He checks the carriage and gives a one-sided smile with a small shake of his head. He helps for a while and finally, after seeing the looks from Celica about Andru, takes pity on her.

"He was born that way. He's perfectly capable otherwise. It may be odd to think about, but think of him like an opposite giant: like a human, but smaller."

Ceralune
2016-11-17, 11:01 PM
Connall's reassurances do not ease Celica's dismay, but she decides that it must be hard enough living with disfigurement, and doesn't press the matter any further or shoot Boot any more furtive glances.

She leads the group into the building where her family has gathered.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-18, 10:28 AM
He turns back to Zrokh "Have we figured out where we are yet"?

"Not especially, though we do seem to have more or less confirmed that we're not on our own plane of existence anymore," Zrokh answers quietly, herding his vertically challenged friend in the direction the others are walking.

"So, what exactly is the best way that I could help, sir?" Zrokh asks the farmer, doing his best to politely ignore the sudden changes in the man's granddaughter, having no idea as to whether that's normal around here or not.

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-18, 09:15 PM
"Things are bein' organised inside first, who is doing what and the like. For now just follow along and then I'll show your group what to do." replies Bjhartel.

As everyone heads inside those who know where they are going head to the left after entering the strangely high-ceilinged farmhouse, and the others follow. The inside is mostly wooden and as you all enter the passage splits into two, left and right. As you take the left path you pass two closed doors and a wide stairway that seems like they are made from solid wooden blocks (which a resident would know they are, so that they can take a giant's weight). Behind one door, half open, is a set of stone steps leading down with the faint smell of fermentation from below.

"So eh, the short fellow, he not some kind of fey is he?" says Bjhartel quietly who is in line with Zrokh, still helping himself along with an axe of all things.

Continuing to the room everyone else is in, you see that it is very large and dominated by a large dark coloured table that despite having a sheen that shows it's been looked after still bears enough permeant stains to show it has withstood the test of time. Everyone who is already there has taken a seat or remains standing by one. Of the farmer's unmet family members who have arrived in the wagons, they seem comfortable with the strangers joining them. They consist of The elder human, who is dressed in furs for the cold, similarly to Bjhartel, A young human woman in a grey one-piece dress that has some soot stains around the sleeves with an additional cloak over her, and a large man who is slightly older than the woman, and despite clearly being an orc, is just as obviously related. He is mostly uncovered, wearing only a pair of sturdy trousers, a belt and a vest. Unlike most orcs he lacks a tusked lower jaw, his human-like one giving him a head that sometimes looks too small for the rest of him.

Now that everyone is here Bjhartel takes his place.

"Right, as everyone can see" he says to his kin "we have some guests from someplace distant joining us to help with the harvest this year. Before we get started we should all make your introductions..."

As introductions concluded it became known that of those who came in the wagons, the elder human is Suott, Bjhartel's son and father to the others. The orc failing to avoid staring at the Halfling is Guthrr and the younger human is Yri.

"Then, you three take care of the wheat while I show Runa and the travellers what to do before coming to help. When you all are done," he says while turning to face those from the caravan and Celica, "You all can help finish with the wheat or if we have the time move onto the barley. The next day it'd be the root vegetables and packing the livestock, and we're done. Any questions"?

Ceralune
2016-11-18, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I've got a question: Why does everyone in this family keep calling me Runa?! Despite the negative thoughts, Celica shakes her head. Well, at least I don't have to go with the family. Some god must be looking out for me after all.

"Ready to go when you all are."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-19, 08:18 AM
"So eh, the short fellow, he not some kind of fey is he?" says Bjhartel quietly who is in line with Zrokh, still helping himself along with an axe of all things.
"No sir, he's a halfling; to the best of my knowledge they've no fey blood. I take from your reactions that halfings aren't common around here? " Zrokh takes no special care to lower his voice, knowing the sharp-eared halfling will hear him regardless.

Any questions"?
"I'm reasonably confident that my companions and I can follow directions at the least, " Zrokh answers, trying not to eye the unusual orc.

I haven't seen such a well behaved orc before. Perhaps he's only half orc? That might explain it. Then again, perhaps orcs aren't so volatile here. I am a stranger in a strange land, after all. Probably best to just follow the family's lead.

Sorry, I tried (not very hard) to avoid the Heinlein reference, but ... come on. How could I?:smalltongue:

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-19, 03:13 PM
"Scythes and wheelbarrows are in the Barn." says Bjhartel to those who are going to handle the wheat. "The rest of you come with me, we're starting with some plants from overseas I was testing this year". He begins to walk out. As you all get back outside it is only a hand gesture before Wiera, Bjhartel's reptilian pet, and the mule continue to follow along again.

You all turn right towards a relatively large fenced off area separated into two halves, each with a different plant. One is on a foot tall wooden stalk topped with leaves, buried beneath them are what look like large nuts the size of a chicken's egg. The other can best be called a fist sized green pine cone from which leaved stalks sprout up to the average persons knee, a few stalks hang low with large ruby-red fruits fruit but very little.

"So" says Bjhartel "Thease are some plants from overseas that sell well. The ones with red fruit are whats been called fireberry 'round here. The one with the stalk has a name I don't think I could pronounce even if I new how to speak the language of those bugs in the west, Oh, But most of you wont know what I am talking about." he rectifies at the end. Bjhartel heads to the wagon pulled by the mule and takes a small fork-looking tool and taking position at one of the plants with the wooden stalk. "That's what we harvest first. What ye do is slide the tool, one of these or the small shovel-looking ones, into the roots at an angle and just..." he pulls down on the tool and the plant pops out of the ground. "Then just stick it in the cart and I can handle the rest. And with that we can get to questions you travellers have to get yourselves un-lost. Where should we start?".

"If I have to check on something you can ask my granddaughter here too" he says gesturing at Celica. "That reminds me," He turns to Celica, "I heard you changed your name or somethin', what was it you're using now?"

While waiting for a response Bjhartel begins handing out tools for everyone and then gets an empty pouch opened up.

Ceralune
2016-11-19, 06:20 PM
Celica looks to Bjhartel in genuine surprise as he asks about her name. Huh... well. First time for everything, I suppose. The reference to it as a "name change" was a little disappointing, but well, it was something. More than the rest of her family had offered.

"Ahh... My name is Celica. I don't really remember anything from my time as... 'Runa....'" She grimaces as the unwanted name rolls off her tongue. "So, it's the only name I've ever really gone by."

As she sees the fireberries, Celica perks up a bit. Though, as she learns that they're dealing with the plant growing in the area next to them, she sobers and accepts the tool from Bjhartel . Starting at the far left corner, she mimics what Bjhartel showed them to do, dropping the unearthed plants into the pouch.

Not entirely sure if a roll is needed, or what kind of roll this would be, so I just did the following hoping it was one of these.

Dexterity: [roll0]
Survival: [roll1]

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-20, 05:56 PM
"Celica then, I'll remember that" says Bjhartel seriously, apparently considering the matter to be of some importance.

"So everyone knows" he says, turning to the group as a whole speaking louder so that everyone can hear, "When you do the fireberries, handle them gently, the fruit of the fireberry plant are known to burst into burning juice if mishandled. After giving the warning he turns to Connal.

"That reminds me, Connal, can you check the fireberries? They don't seem to have grown right, I want you to see if you can find the root of th' problem".

"heh, root" he adds a second later with a small smile.

Amanil
2016-11-20, 07:16 PM
Sendal takes note of the tool's shape and excuses himself for a few minutes to retrieve something from his pack, returning with a shovel of his own. He begins work on harvesting the roots in earnest, thankful for the kindness he has been shown and willing to put some effort into the favour.

"Any news of our other companions?" he asks those who arrived with the wagon. "Perhaps we should ask for them in town when we arrive, they may have appeared in the area as well and it's a sensible place to start. All roads lead between towns, after all."

Sendal's using his Any-Tool, factoring a +2 into the roll due to it (masterwork tool).

[roll0]

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-21, 09:32 AM
Zrokh grabs a tool, moves to the head of one of the rows of strange plants and begins to harvest the plants as the farmer showed them. Just as he starts to get into the work, the repetitive motions reminding him somewhat of the meditative martial arts, Sendal asks after the others and his meditative state is broken. Pausing momentarily Zrokh redoubles his efforts, trying to lose the larger part of himself in the work while still conversing with Sendal and the others.

"I'd nearly forgotten, being caught up in what's been happening; we found some bodies when we woke up. The only one I could identify was Kuduk."

Zrokh's matter of fact tone might be taken for a lack of caring by those who've not spent much time with him, but his quiet words accompanied by his careful and precise movements speak of control. The control of one who has lost companions and friends before and who expects to lose them again. The control a man exerts over himself and his actions because he is the only thing he can control.

[roll0]

HappyMerecat
2016-11-21, 10:31 AM
Andru

Andru follows suit in a half hearted manner to harvest the fruit. He makes sure to be careful not to break the fruit.

Ceralune
2016-11-21, 12:58 PM
Slightly intrigued by the promise but deciding not to put too much stock into it, Celica nods towards Bjhartel with a neutral face.

Feeling that she's gotten the hang of the technique, she then turns to the plane-travelers. If I can't ask about the complicated magical things, how about something simpler?

Alcydine doesn't respond to her question, but she can feel him pondering over how little they know about these strange people. That answers that, then.

"So, you come from a place called 'Varisia?' What's it like there?"

~Corvus~
2016-11-21, 05:07 PM
Bjhartel
"That reminds me, Connal, can you check the fireberries? They don't seem to have grown right, I want you to see if you can find the root of th' problem".
Conall

The Druid nods to Bjhartel and asks a few pointed questions. "How long have you had the issues with their growth? Have you noticed any coloring or abnormal patterns of the leaves?" A few more questions and Conall gives a laugh of satisfaction. "I see. I know what to do. He pokes around the plants with eagerness and finds a few insects. "Surskers! As I thought!" He eagerly begins rummaging around many of the fire-plants, and burns himself a little. "Gorram plants," he grumbles, and slows down a bit. When he finishes with his task, he takes the elder man aside.

"Your fireberries were being chewed on by surksers, which warp and stunt their growth. Rumswort grows around these areas; If you transplant them and grow them near every several plants, you will be fine. They don't require much watering, and if I'm right will make your fireberries even more potent.

After this task is completed, Conall goes to harvesting, and gets into a rhythm of efficiency surpassed by few of the others.

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-21, 08:11 PM
Conall:
While inspecting the fireberries Conall manages to squash one with his leg. Within the juicy red fruit is one of the pinecone-like structures stained amber by the juice. Now in contract with the air it proceeds to catch fire and burn his leg.

Bjhartel nods to Conall. While everyone else was digging up the plants he has been looking through the ones on stalks to remove the nuts and placing them in a different pouch.

"So that's the problem, I was thinking the problem was my soil or the weather." he finishes with mild concern, "You want somethin' for the burn"?

Ceralune
2016-11-22, 01:09 PM
When Conall's pant leg catches fire, Celica fails to stifle a giggle. Good fun, fireberries are.

As the group busies themselves with digging, Celica purses her lips at her unanswered question. A bunch of roots can't be more interesting than talking to me, right?

Not everyone is as talkative as you.

Hey! What's that supposed to mean?

Exactly what I said. It wasn't a slight, child. They're probably not up to full strength yet. They've apparently had a hard last couple of days. Besides, you laughed at the nature man when he burned himself.

Aww, surely he's not that thin-skinned!

When he burned himself.

Celica lets out a small huff. Fine, point taken. She then focuses entirely on the task at hand, working in silence until the group is done.

Amanil
2016-11-26, 01:04 PM
"So, you come from a place called 'Varisia?' What's it like there?"
"Hard to say, given we don't really know what it's like here yet so don't know what's of note. At the moment, the thing that stands out the most is the size of your doorways. Do you have larger folk around here, much like humans are the larger folk compared to the halflings of our homeland?

HappyMerecat
2016-11-26, 01:48 PM
Andru

Andru looks at Celica thoughtfully. "Its hard to explain what Varisia is like without knowing more of this place. It is a big land, a long way from fully civilized, and yet in its past their was a great civilization. The land is beautiful and the peoples, the native peoples, are wild and free in different ways."

"Oh, and our moon is silver-white, not red."

Ceralune
2016-11-26, 04:04 PM
Celica stops working for a moment and turns to Andru when he brings up the moon, an excited glimmer in her eyes as she murmurs, "Interesting. Well the doorways' sizes are probably out of consideration, of course. I have a... relative... who's an orc. You met him back at the house. It'd be hard for such people to squeeze through the doorways if they were much smaller. Never heard of a... 'halfling.' I mean we have half-elves but that label is just cause it's true, they're half elf. Is a halfling of half... 'ling' blood? Whatever a ling is.

"Duesea has always felt like a large nation to me, but I've never actually ventured outside of southern Loka. I hear that it's just a small landmass compared to the vast world. I guess things are fairly orderly here in Duesea. We have a large number of mercenaries - such as yours truly - who serve as law enforcement and can be hired for jobs that ordinary folk can't do." She looks upward in thought. "Hmm. Varisia sounds pretty different in comparison to Duesea. The alliance between Duesea's territories keep everyone in check, so there's not much internal conflict - of what I know, at least. Some of the nation's regulations get annoying at times," like when I'm trying to find ancient tomes that are restricted access only, she thinks to herself. "But I suppose there are usually reasons for them. Like the trolls," she grumbles.

~Corvus~
2016-11-26, 05:07 PM
Conall

The druid grumbles when Celica laughs at his clumsiness. His shoulders tense and he mumbles, ...like to see how well SHE fares in the wild, years on end. He gives her a few glances, but says nothing in retort.

Bjhartel
"So that's the problem, I was thinking the problem was my soil or the weather [...] You want somethin' for the burn"?

Much more comfortable talking about plants, Conall lets his attention shift back to the elderly man and he nods with eagerness, although he does not deviate from his task. When we are done that would be excellent.

HappyMerecat
2016-11-26, 06:15 PM
Andru

Andru chuckles and leans agains the wall. "Well Halflings are not half anything. I think they are called that because they are half the size of humans, the dominate race."

"Duesea sounds very civilized, where Varisia is not, but there are many places beyond Varisia that are civilized on our world, but I don't know much about them."

Ceralune
2016-11-26, 06:25 PM
Celica's eyes widen at what Andru is saying. "Oh! Wait, was that guy with us earlier one of these 'halflings?' The one called 'Boot?' I mean, to have your race referred to as solely less than normal people... I get that such beings are strange and maybe a little scary, but that just sounds cruel. Well now I actually feel a little bad."

Waiting on the GM before we find out how civilized Duesea actually is. '.'

HappyMerecat
2016-11-26, 07:15 PM
Andru

Andru smiles. "Yes, Boot is a halfling, and people are often cruel when it comes to such things. Accidental or not."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-26, 09:09 PM
Relaxing somewhat as the others take up the flow of the conversation, Zrokh lets the unfamiliar manual labor loosen some of his over-tense muscles. Half his mind on his work and half on the conversation around him Zrokh allows himself a small, contented smile as he catches flitting bits of Conall's excited explanation.

At least someone is starting to feel a little more at home.

Zrokh's grin breaks out in earnest when he hears Celica's question. Taking a small break to stretch out his lower back and sooth lesser used muscles Zrokh's smile fades a bit as he listens to Andru's answer.

"Yes. Cruelty is, unfortunately, common place in your homelands." His smile, almost as determined as the man himself, flits back across his face as his eyes turn to the middle distance.

"It is also a place of charity, and wonder though. As to the halflings," he continues, bending back to his work, "while "halfling" might once have been meant as a slight they have a certain... energy about them. A love of life and of laughter. They've taken the name and wear it with pride; they've even developed their own language, also known simply as "halfling," and refuse to teach it to most of the rest of us!" As he finishes this he has to stop his work momentarily as a deep belly laugh rolls out of him

"My apologies. That always cracks me up. Not sure exactly why I find it so funny, but, well, there's no accounting for taste right?"

Ceralune
2016-11-27, 09:45 PM
"Huh. Well, that's life I suppose. Sometimes you just have to put up with what others think about you," Celica mutters. She gives no indication that she understands what Andru is implying, though there's a slight edge to her voice as though she has been reminded of something distasteful.

"Anyways... Yeah, I guess the nation is pretty civilized as a whole. There aren't too many troublemakers, since people tend to negotiate things under oath. And, well, breaking an oath would be pretty bad. Unfortunately some of the smaller villages can have a rough time with bandits who aren't bound by oath or have chosen to break their oath. And monsters. But... well, means I can usually find some kind of work for me to do. And get paid for."

As Zrokh turns the conversation in a more positive route, Celica smiles to herself watching the man lighten up. About time. You all can't mope forever. "Psh, no need to apologize. I like it. If someone's going to cast you out, turn the tables."

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-28, 04:08 PM
Boot offers some commentary on being a Halfling while working, starting with some comment in the Halfling tongue to prove Zrokh's point. "Things aren't perfect for us everywhere though. There's this nation well in the south called Cheliax that enslaves us, but we are fighting for freedom. Otherwise life is good elsewhere".

Bjhartel Turns to Andru to speak.

"You say Humans are dominate where you come from, Does that mean You have few giants? Round' here pretty much all us giantkin are found in the same settlements, well the fire giants prefer their citadels for the heat, but they're welcoming enough from what I hear". He continues on to reply to Boot once he is done.

"Well that is one problem you shouldn't here, Slomor has some slavery but that's a voluntary thing to cover depts or for criminals, Supposed to be at least" he continues with a more disdainful tone "some depts are inherited, they say there are some who are born and died into slavery".

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-11-29, 10:49 AM
Zrokh stops working and stands stock still for a moment as Bjhartel finishes his comments on slavery. "That brings up an interesting point I hadn't considered before, " he begins after a moment, bending to the work again while he talks. "What are your laws here? I mean, I assume murder and theft and the like are illegal, and apparently carrying weapons is not prohibited, but I'd hate to commit some crime simply because I didn't know not to do something. And while were one the subject, what type of governing system do you have?"

Zrokh pauses a moment thinking back on on what Celica has said so far, "I think we might need to know more about these "regulations" you mentioned earlier. Come to think of it, we might want to discuss your mention of trolls as well. We have those where we're from too and, quite frankly, ours are rather nasty creatures."

Ceralune
2016-11-29, 11:07 AM
Celica pulls a face as she launches into an explanation of the rules. "Unfortunately, you're visiting at pretty much the worst time regarding laws AND trolls - winter's on its way, which means that the trolls from the north are going to raid Duesea soon for foodstuff. Nasty sounds about right. And since we have to deal with the trolls, the nation tends to tighten regulations during this time. Everyone's expected to help with preparing for the invasion. To the point where I usually have to take boring jobs like transporting food or tending fires. Ohh, they love having me tend fires. Figure that because I'm an Ifrit, naturally I'd be okay with it and good at it. I like fire as much as the next girl, but I don't want to have to stand in the same spot for a few hours, making sure everyone has a toasty fire to come back to, when I could be doing something else." Her voice is an irritated mumble by the end, as she anticipates some of the same after finishing with the harvest here.

"On the bright side, it should be over after winter ends. The lords and ladies are bound by oath to treat their people fairly, common folk are allowed to do as they like as long as they aren't hurting anyone for no good reason."

ThreadNecro5
2016-11-29, 05:20 PM
"Celica's got things covered I'd say" says Bjhartel. "Some lords have a few laws specific to the region they rule. Around here lord Steinhauser rules, good sort, mostly known for his interest in other cultures. He has a lot of odd goods imported including the explosive black powders from Hycogh, which is about as distant as you can get. Last time I was in town it was goin' through the rumour mill his eldest son was to wed the daughter of some silverskin chief".

For the sake of most of his present company he adds "That's what they call Hycogh natives, their skin is actually identical to silver or brass in shade or so they say, 'never met one myself.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-03, 07:49 PM
And so the day continued. The weather het up as time went on leaving a light layer of moisture and most of the chill left. Eventually the plants around you all were successfully harvested.

Afterword Bjhartel escorted you all to where Celica's relatives were just about finished with the wheat. They proceed to take the sacksfuls they already have and take them to be further processed which you all bag what's left and Bjhartel further deals with the already harvested plants, safely organising the fireberry fruits and cutting off the roots to be packed into a further bag. He explains and demonstrates the harvesting process and how the grain is processed, with the winnowing planned to be done the following morning.

By the time you are all done it is late enough that night will be approaching within the next few hours. By the time those processing the wheat are done the last glimmers of light are in the sky ad everyone sits down to a dinner of bread, a choice of ale or mead, and stew of the same sort Conall and Sendal had earlier.

As you all finish the change of illumination outside marks the start of night proper descent of the moon. That Hunters Moon which has sat in the sky to gaze upon the world for as long as people have had the wit to record it.

Everyone make a Perception check.

HappyMerecat
2016-12-03, 09:38 PM
Andru

Andru stretches after the work. Likely less than most, but certainly more than he is used to.

Perception [roll0]

Ceralune
2016-12-03, 11:07 PM
Celica tucks into her supper enthusiastically. Hmph, coming to my family's farm might be a little dull and might mean being surrounded by poor company. But at least there's one benefit - fresh food grown right from the earth and delivered straight to my plate! She nods politely and injects an "Ohh, yeah, sure," when appropriate as she listens to her kin converse, but keeps an ear cocked towards the plane-travelers, hoping to catch anything they say.

[roll0]

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-12-04, 09:36 AM
Zrokh sets to, consuming his meal with the slow deliberation of the truly hungry man who still wishes to be polite. Content to let the patter of conversation wash over him Zrokh takes the time to reflect on the day's activities, feeling oddly satisfied with the soreness of muscles that spent a day in productive labor.

[roll0]

~Corvus~
2016-12-04, 12:01 PM
By the time those processing the wheat are done the last glimmers of light are in the sky ad everyone sits down to a dinner of bread, a choice of ale or mead, and stew of the same sort Conall and Sendal had earlier.

As you all finish the change of illumination outside marks the start of night proper descent of the moon.

Conall looks into the sky as he chews his meal. He rolls his head and his shoulders, flexes his hips and rolls his ankles. After a day like that, it was good to engage in a little flow. When he's finished he picks up his cup of mead--warmed near the fire--and grips the metal mug with gratitude. He gazes into the sky and thinks, The moon descends. We would be well to be wary.

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/UJ-qyvZwoDLv2VmZmByAAQ/348s.jpg
No, not those, silly human!!

[roll0]

Amanil
2016-12-04, 01:32 PM
It has been some time since Sendal had worked for a full day - he'd exchanged manual labour for hospitality as part of his travels, and indeed had done so for long stretches in the past, but with his more recent turn to caravan escorting there had indeed been a few muscles he'd forgotten about which now made themselves known.

Sendal makes sure to thank the host again (quietly, of course, as he isn't one to draw attention to someone in their own home) as the meal is served.

He states a short blessing over the food - again quietly, not one to push his religion on others but willing to share with those who would hear it - touching his collarbones and chest in a diagonal pattern as he concluded.

"Mother Moon watch over those who share in this meal, in good company, and ease their rest and dreams tonight."

He, too, muses as he looks at what he can see of the sky during its transition from day to night.

No doubt you are up there, I only hope this journey has brought us closer, not further away.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-04, 07:27 PM
Discussion continues over the meal. Suott gives Bjhartel a questioning look on hearing Sendal's blessing.

"They're from out in some plane somewhere apparently." says Bjhartel answering the unspoken question before turning to Sendal. "You may want to avoid callin' on the moon 'round here. However it works back where you come from, but ours brings anything but rest. Monsters and lunacy is all you'll find with ours".

At Bjhartel's feet his twin-headed pet suddenly ceases begging under the table and grows agitated, both heads rising up and hissing.

There is a muffled roar and crashing sound coming from outside, likely in the direction of the barn. as both noises die down they are replaced by a short-lived pained scream, brief and frenzied but definitely from a humanoid throat, and a wet noise of some kind.

Suott, moments before looking like he was going to get involved in the conversation instead has his head dart in the direction of the door.

"Anyone hear that..."?

Ceralune
2016-12-04, 07:46 PM
Celica looks up from her meal towards her father, mildly annoyed at the distraction from the food in front of her. The slight irritation is clear on her face as she asks, "Hear what? There are a bunch of critters out here, it was probably just one of them."

She continues enjoying her food.

HappyMerecat
2016-12-04, 08:49 PM
Andru

Andru stands suddenly and draws his scimitar and heads to the door. "I think someone is attacking someone near the barn and it isn't going well. Lets move!"

Amanil
2016-12-05, 11:10 AM
"Apologies for the confusion, Bjhartel, I call not on the moon itself but on Desna, who lives amongst the stars. "Mother Moon" is just one of her titles, I can use one which is less likely to cause concern in these parts if that would help."

At the sounds outside Sendal first turns to look at Bjhartel for a reaction, but sees that one of his companions has already taken it upon himself to investigate.

Oh, Andru, drawing a weapon at another's table...

He nods at the proposed plan, simplistic as it may be, however.

"It does sound like a commotion, are all of your family here?" he asks the farmer as he stands - somewhat more calmly than Andru. "With your leave, may my companions and I take a look? If beasts here are as vicious as seems hinted at, it would set my mind at ease to make sure it is just livestock making a fuss."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-12-05, 11:53 AM
"I'm fairly certain that wasn't an animal's scream Sendal." Zrokh calmly stands from the table, takes a pointed step back, and then draws his sword while moving toward the door.

"I apologize if I offer any slight, but I cannot in good conscience, delay rendering aid," he throws over his shoulder as he walks through the door and starts jogging toward the source of the scream, his eyes darting from shadow to shadow in the unfamiliar light.

[roll0]

Ceralune
2016-12-05, 01:20 PM
"Hnn?" While Celica's willing to make light of her family's concerns, as the plane-travelers jump to their feet and Andru makes his exclamation, she is suddenly intrigued. She rises from the table and follows him out the door without excusing herself and without asking them if she can come. While the others are busy making niceties and asking permission, once outside, she begins chanting and Alcydine's form materializes around her.

I'm assuming it takes a minute for them all to get up, converse/ask to leave. If not, I can edit this. =P

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-05, 04:17 PM
Inside the Farmhouse:
Bjhartel gets up form the table and, fetching his axe on the way, starts heading in the same direction as the door. "Anyone else goin' on ahead go back up Zrokh! I'll get lanterns and the cold-iron. Yri, with me!

"I'll go help, Keep and eye to the shadows." says Guthrr running ahead to fetch his weapon. Suott follows him, saying that he will bring more weapons from the wagons.

"I will help to" say Boot this time, who also runs off, if obviously at a slower pace.

Yri and Bjhartel meanwhile have went to one of the closed doors by the entrance from earlier. One is picking up an armful of lanterns while the other is trying to balance a pair of large cylinders with spigots attached...

Zrokh's Perspective, Within the Barn:
The horses in the outside were panicking, creating a cacophony that fills the night air. This night was much like the prior, the Moon's crimson light just bright enough to see by thanks to clear skies. Just bright enough to deepen the shadows and render the mind instinctually paranoid. If anything the light was that little bit brighter than the night before, the shadows deeper, the Moon larger. Fuller.

The door was still closed once you got there and opening it the illumination made what lurked within perfectly clear. It seemed to have came in by tearing through the wall, given the gaping hole in the side that the moonlight streams through. The beast's first victim, unknown and unrecognisable, is shredded. their scraps of clothing likely rags before the savaging. The lack of a weapon suggest they were unarmed. That is all you take in before the scent of blood hits you like a wall.

Aside from the body, Bjhartel's mule also lies dead, throat torn out by jaws that rendered it almost headless. The creature is currently sinking it teeth into the fresh kill, claws digging into the wooden beam. It stands to regard the new arrival. By your position near the entrance and beside a ladder heading up you can see that it is big, with natural weapons found in its clawed hands beyond the lupine jaw. It faces you, concealed almost too well in the patches of shadow that try to hide it. A metallic rattle is heard as it shifts its positon, a chain around it's neck bearing an amulet of some sort.

It is the thing you caught gazing at you the prior night. This time it does not vanish...

Ceralune
2016-12-05, 04:50 PM
As Zrokh and the others run off towards the barn, Celica finishes chanting and races after them, Alcydine's strength surging through her new form.

Any chance Celica knows what it is? She does have Darkvision, so I'm assuming she can see it pretty clearly.

Also not sure how to roll initiative for this kind of thing, but just in case. @.@

Initiative: [roll0]

Amanil
2016-12-05, 10:14 PM
Seeing the farmer and his folk grab arms, though intrigued by the mention of cold-iron, Sendal picks his spear from its place propped in the corner and, with surprising speed for someone of his size, moves to assist Zrokh. He speaks a quick few words to his patron as he nears the barn - some way behind Zrokh, still, as he enters - and casts for any hint of magic from within.

Detect Magic, aiming in the general direction of the barn. I'm assuming Zrokh and/or Celica have magic items on them somewhere, so you can probably skip the "presence of magic items" check for the first round.

HappyMerecat
2016-12-06, 08:04 AM
Andru

On route to the barn Andru seeks the shadows and moves quietly, re-sheathing his scimitar and pulling out his two good daggers. Seeing the beast he does his best to work around behind it as others get closer to flank it as well as take it by surprise.

Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1] to glean what details he can from the creature

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-07, 04:44 PM
Inside the House, Just Before Sendal leaves:
The lanterns have been taken to the table and Yri is currently filling them with oil from the cylindrical tanks. Bjhartel meanwhile has went back to the same storage room the lanterns were taken from and has fished getting a number of small leather-sheaved blades, a sword and two daggers form the looks of things, and is taking them to the table. "Right! Anyon' without a weapon take one, Whoever's left take one in case it proves useful".

Sendal leaves not long after this.

Outside:
Guthrr and Suott have finished arming themselves. Guthrr with a twin-headed axe while Suott bears a more mundane shortspear.

Sendal passes Boot on the way, having just about made it to the barn.

Sendal's Perspective, On the Way to the Barn:
As you open your senses to any magic that may be around you catch sight of the surrounding skies. They are full of magic, glimmers coating every surface and motes filling the air as surely as any blanket of fog. More concentrated areas of magic are within, two by the entrance, Zrokh and Celica, while another lies further inside.

The Barn:
The beast, satisfied that most of those around it are content to observe turs back to the mule and thrusts both claws into the wound, letting them soak. It is at this point that Sendal arrives with Boot behind. The Lycanthrope rears up again from the carcass and turns to face away from the group watching it to begin carving something into the wooden beam supporting the floor above. At this time Andru makes his move while the creature would be distracted.

He creeps in, daggers in hand, and makes it halfway to the beast, crouched by the wall opposite of it. It stands again, temporarily finished its carving, and turns to face Andru with teeth bared a growl ushering forth over the panicked horses nearby. As far as Andru can tell it is Amused, the noise more a cruel laughter than a snarl.

It let Andru get close enough that it could lunge before he could make it back to the others. At this point the Halfling finally catches up...

Ceralune
2016-12-07, 05:03 PM
They arrive at the barn, seeing that the other plane-travelers have made it there just before them. It's a bit difficult to peer around the bodies in front of Celica, but they manage to catch a glimpse of what's going on in the barn. Huh. Would'ya look at that, there's a werewolf. I think. I don't remember seeing such a large one before, maybe this one's just better fed? As they catch sight of the dead mule, a grimace appears on Celica's face. Fantastic, someone's going to have to clean up in the morning. And it's not going to be me. It is then that she realizes that one of the plane-travelers, Andru, is already inside the barn and inching closer to the beast. Fully awake and witnessing everything through Celica's eyes, Alcydine says exactly what is on her mind: My dear, it seems we have bigger concerns. It is this that finally manages to disturb her sense of calm a bit. Ohh no, I do not want to fight that thing in the barn.

They're about to try to help Andru, when they notice the wolf's strange behavior. What is it doing to the beam? Confused by its behavior, but unwilling to call out to Andru lest they distract him from the werewolf....

They quietly chant the Mage Armor spell, infusing an additional protective force around them, as they note that for whatever reason, the werewolf hasn't made a move on the man yet. Perhaps that's risky... but I don't want to startle it into attacking him either.

~Corvus~
2016-12-08, 12:13 PM
Conall

The poor druid had been asleep. Kind of. With a full belly from his meal, but the others still talking inside, he had already left the house to take a walk. He walked to enjoy the peaceful evening of the farm, which was different from the forest, which was, well, more quiet than peaceful. It's a different intensity.He didn't make it far. When he was about to turn the corner of the barn, something brushed by him in a rush of speed. He tried to twist about in a roll, but he hit his head on a rock and passed out.
[roll0]

Conall woke to a pounding head. He Cured much of his light wounds, which helped a little. He rubbed his eyes and heard the screaming--it was SO close by!! His head swam from the intensity of the scream. Clearly an animal was being slaughtered. Conall ended up taking the long way around the barn. Just his luck, but it gave him the chance to do a cursory sweep of the landscape for further dangers.
[roll1]

When he finally reached the edge of the barn, everyone was there already. He knew what was going on. There were too many people to conjure of grass; there were too many people to call a fog; he needed an animal.
"Might of the wind, come with your wing; fly to my aid, good eagle kin!"

Conall is roughly 10 feet behind those at the barn. Expend Shillelagh to use SNA 1.
He is summoning an Eagle such that, next round, it has a clear path for an 80-foot move to attack the monster in the barn.

He sees the monstrous form, and does not flinch at the sight of a werewolf. Gods, they were dangerous though!

Amanil
2016-12-08, 02:35 PM
Motes of starlight, a magical world indeed; The Great Dreamer truly has a place here...

Sendal mused at the magical dust that seemed to fill the sky. He took a moment to marvel in it before blinking slowly, dismissing the divine sight and looking at the world again with another divine blessing - the darkvision his ancestors had bestowed upon him. Realising that many of his companions did not have such a gift, however, and given that no overtly aggressive acts had been made yet, he inhaled slowly and deeply, preparing to shed some light on the situation as he rested the thumb of his right hand on his holy symbol, palm over his heart.

"Celica, what is this beast?" he asked the native of this land, hoping for some insight.

Ceasing concentration on Detect Magic, readying use of his SLA of Daylight (his holy symbol as the target) should any attack be made from either party (i.e. to occur prior to the attack, as per a readied action), with attacks defined as anything requiring an attack roll from the aggressor, a saving throw from the defender, or anything that could be considered an act able to cause harm (such as setting the barn alight), assuming he is able to discern it happening.

"Buffing" actions should not trigger it, and most spellcasting won't (Sendal isn't able to identify spells prior to them being cast). If the spell appeared to be offensive (obviously cause harm) he'll use Daylight straight after.

For the sake of clarity, I would assume that Sendal is not wearing his armour - seems an odd thing to wear at the dinner table after a long day of work.

Ceralune
2016-12-08, 02:40 PM
"I'm pretty sure it's a werewolf, though it looks larger than any I've ever seen. And I'm not sure what it's doing with the beam. Never seen them do that before. I've fought them, but the other mercenaries usually handled tactics. I'm not sure how to beat this thing."

~Corvus~
2016-12-08, 02:56 PM
Conall

Upon others discussing tactical options, Conall chimes in. "Bjhartel, It may be prudent to give it an avenue for exit that doesn't involve destroying your barn. Many monsters fight more wildly if they believe they cannot escape, and are quite a bit more dangerous, and your horses may die.

Many of my spells for the day have been expended, but I could entangle it in the open and cover our escape if that must happen. We should be wary of this beast if it's strong and intelligent. "

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-08, 05:26 PM
Bjhartel, accompanied by Yri, Guthrr, and Suott, have just made it to the Barn after arming themselves. on hearing Conall's suggestion Bjhartel takes a moment to take in the situation, oddly calm, before nodding. "We should lure it out, try an' make it run. Looks to be one of the smart ones." he says, emphasising the word 'smart' "As always, silver or magic is the best tool to use, failing that it's as the old saying goes 'All else fails, Burn the bastards'. Normal blades 'ill have difficulty even scratching it however. Yri! Guthrr! head round the left side, me an' yer da will take the right. R-Celica you an' your creature get it out the back. Rest of you too ideally." he adds to the end facing the others.

The small group begins to take their places.

And so Combat begins

Assume Bjhartel, Yri, Guthrr, and Suott, are all running to either end of the barn and then delaying their actions (so they are waiting to flank the werewolf)

Ceralune
2016-12-08, 05:55 PM
Hearing Bjhartel's words, they nod. Right... let's see how much this thing likes fire.

They move swiftly around to its front, skirting the mule's body, and glare up at the werewolf's curled lip - I really don't like the smug look on this thing's face, Alcydine.

That thought is still passing through their minds as they bring up their forearms, wreathed in flame, to batter the werewolf.

-starts praying that the werewolf is to distracted by whatever it's carving to AoO Celica and Alcydine-

Attack Roll: [roll0]

And if it works....

Damage Roll: [roll1] (Slam) + [roll2] (Energy Attack Fire)

Map:

http://i.imgur.com/nmspmye.png

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-08, 06:51 PM
Hearing Bjhartel's words, they nod. Right... let's see how much this thing likes fire.

They move swiftly around to its front, skirting the mule's body, and glare up at the werewolf's curled lip - I really don't like the smug look on this thing's face, Alcydine.

That thought is still passing through their minds as they bring up their forearms, wreathed in flame, to batter the werewolf.

-starts praying that the werewolf is to distracted by whatever it's carving to AoO Celica and Alcydine-

Attack Roll: [roll0]

And if it works....

Damage Roll: [roll1] (Slam) + [roll2] (Energy Attack Fire)

Map:

http://i.imgur.com/nmspmye.png

The lycanthrope turns quickly to face Celica, 'grin' growing if anything. Its natural reach letting it get the first hit in. It proves itself more than some feral beast, using its claws in a reactionary jab instead of some mad clawing. It hits and scores a wound in the eidolon's side.

In doing it's attack, it fails to dodge the blow yet it does not react to the hit. What does achieve something is the trailing flame scoring a good burn.

At the same time Sendal's holy symbol bursts into light.

Attack of opportunity:
Attack roll with claw:
[roll0]

Damage roll if successful:
[roll1]

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-08, 07:09 PM
Boot:

Standing outside the Halfling is deciding how he can be most useful.

"I will go around the left side, Shoot into it's back one it runs. I might hit someone with my crossbow otherwise and if blades are ineffectual I doubt I will be much use inside.

Boot proceeds to follow the group that went down the side

Boot is running to keep up with the others.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-12-09, 03:49 PM
Zrokh

Having been momentarily struck immobile by the sheer ferocious glee of the creature in front of him Zrokh hesitates as he gets to the door of the barn. Eventually everyone catches up and as his friends, new and old, engage the monster Zrokh snaps out of it. Hearing Bjhartel's caution about basic steel Zrokh thinks for a moment, and then rushes into... what some might call action.

Sheathing his sword as he walks backward a bit Zrokh shouts out "You wanna play, ugly, let's play! Come and get me, fresh dinner, good muscle!" Continuing to move back while taunting the creature, Zrokh casually pulls another object out of the folds of his cloths, and smiles.

Okay, not entirely sure if this exactly rules legal, but I don't think it should be too bad. If it is, I'll change things, I suppose.:smalltongue:

Okay, so,
Swift: Drop into Dragon Style (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/dragon-style-combat), cuz why not?
Standard: Given up in favor of a move action
Move1: Move 30 feet back while taunting the werewolf as a free action and sheathing his sword as part of this move action. (That's just drawing in reverse right? That should work...)
Move2: Continue moving back another 30ft while also still taunting the giant killing machine, while drawing another item (logically shouldn't be any harder than drawing a weapon, right?) from its place under some of the straps that hold on his sword. A scroll, to be specific.

HP: 25/25
AC: 19 (19T, 15FF)

HappyMerecat
2016-12-09, 09:24 PM
Andru

Andru, tries to kick the beast in the gonads.

Dirty Trick [roll0] vs CMD to cause it to be sickened.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-10, 04:00 PM
Andru

Andru, tries to kick the beast in the gonads.

Dirty Trick [roll0] vs CMD to cause it to be sickened.

While the werewolf is distracted by Celica, Andru takes the opportunity to knock the smile off it's face with a pragmatic kick below the belt.

As the blow resolves the werewolf nearly doubles over from the low-blow, standing again with a roar equally of pain and fury.

~Corvus~
2016-12-10, 09:16 PM
Conall

Conall waits for the eagle to soar into view. Right on time, it arrives above the barn. He directs it to attack the werewolf, which it will do with haste.

The druid takes the time granted him to make a meditative gesture. "Spirits of storm, gather here. Bless those who take your call"

Summoned Eagle (using bracketed stats) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle)
Moves up to 80' and 2 claws attack:
claw 1: [roll0] [roll1] (crit) [roll2]
Claw 2: [roll3] [roll4] (crit) [roll5]

Conall uses Spirit Call, so for 2 minutes he and everyone else gets +1 CL and +4 Concentration on checks to cast Storm-domain spells.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-11, 02:04 PM
The eagle flies at the werewolf but it's talons fail to find flesh as the first only gets fur and the second is dodged entirely.

Werewolf's round:
By this point the lycanthrope is quite displeased, having been burned, kicked in the genitalia, and now is being attacked by a bird.

When it makes it's strike it begins with a lunge at the eagle, jaws open. The werewolf closes its maw around the bird with a crunch moments later. The poor bird is swallowed whole.

The beast continues its momentum to swing it's claws at Celica, the first gouging deep, quite possibly beyond the spiritual mater and into the flesh beneath. The second is blocked however.

Werewolf preforms a Full Attack.

It's bite targets the eagle. The claws are being aimed at Celica.

Bite: [roll0] Crit Confirmation: [roll1] Damage:[roll2]

Free trip attempt on hit:
[roll3]

Claw: [roll4] Crit Confirmation: [roll5] Damage:[roll6]
Claw: [roll7] Crit Confirmation: [roll8] Damage:[roll9]

Round Ends

Ceralune
2016-12-11, 03:04 PM
They instinctively bring up their arms to intercept the first attack, but to their dismay it pierces beyond Alcydine's form and into Celica's forearms. As the psychopomp's form disintegrates and reforms in the shape of golden twists, Celica thinks, Ugh... I guess he didn't like the fire. How dare he banish Alcydine! She glares up at him with baleful eyes.

Properly infuriated by the beast now, Celica's eyes take on a strange glint as she looks up at the werewolf, appearing almost delighted in the fact that it seems enraged as well. Even as her arms bleed onto the ground, she lets out a cackle that could only be described as mad. While the werewolf's other set of claws only scrape the earth by her feet, she thinks, Ickle bitty werewolf... I'll make sure you end up like Golgothe Wolfe did.

It's as she's thinking this that a mist falls over her, and she withdraws backwards should the werewolf try to strike again, and chants a spell to summon a creature to her aid.

Concentration Check: [roll0] DC: 17

In the event that it works...

Celica summons an eagle (fiendish), right above where she was. The eagle darts at the werewolf's face, doing a full attack and then a 5-foot "step" above the mule's body to try and capture its attention.

Bite: [roll1]
Talon: [roll2]
Talon: [roll3]

Damage:
Bite: [roll4]
Talon: [roll5]
Talon: [roll6]

Due to Augment Summoning, HP = 7

Amanil
2016-12-11, 03:40 PM
Celica was in trouble, that much was clear, even if Sendal didn't understand quite what the shimmering layer that had covered her was having it disappear was not a good sign.

The werewolf crunching on the celestial eagle in a single snap offended Sendal for reasons that he didn't quite fully understand, ringing a somber note in his heart.

Wolves were one thing, they fled at a hint of a fight. This beast was quite merrily slicing away despite confrontation from fire and physical injury, and showed no signs of slowing down.

"This is not a fight we can win, save your pride and blood and get out of there."

He advances somewhat, touching his glowing holy symbol once more. Vapors spread from it, filling most of the barn.

Moving to B3 and casting Obscuring Mist such that Celica would be within the mist (granting her 20% concealment). If for whatever reason I'm misunderstanding the spell, move much such that that would apply. 20' spread shown here (http://i.imgur.com/evCWT.png)

It shuts down ranged attacks, pretty much, but also stops it attacking using its reach (it doesn't threaten squares it can't see for the purposes of AoOs, either, which doesn't include those adjacent to it but makes the Withdraw option viable), or taking a 5' step back/diagonally to spellcast if that's your thing.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-11, 05:17 PM
Sendal:
Heading inside and casting a spell to conjure fog, Sendal manages to create a cloying mist that blankets the area around him. This serves to hide himself and Celica from the werewolf, while Andru only dwells within the edge of the effect allowing the two combatants to vaguely see each other. The mist is situated in such a manner that the area it affects ends just in front of the lycanthrope, leaving it exposed.

Celica:
Benefiting from the concealing fog Celica attempts to summon assistance however the pain of her wounds prove to distracting, at least at this moment, and she proves unable to finish the spell.

Boot:
Having finished taking the planned spot Boot stays there, weapon at the ready.

~Corvus~
2016-12-11, 09:29 PM
Conall

The druid nods. "We would be remiss if we left the horses here. Quick, let us release them and take them to safety!"

He moves as well as he can towards where the horses are, and attempts to calm them before he releases them.

The Obscuring Mist Sendal cast lasts 3 minutes due to Conall's last spell.

Actions: move, full if needed, towards horses.

Ishcumbeebeeda
2016-12-15, 11:52 AM
Zrokh
Realizing that the werewolf didn't take the bate and charge after him, Zrokh feels slightly foolish for a moment. Evidently he'd misunderstood the plan, as the others had engaged the beast inside the barn. Blushing a bit Zrokh begins repositioning himself to better aid his allies, scroll all but forgotten in his hand.

Double Move to as close to the werewolf as I can get, so that maybe I can actually be helpful at some point in this fight.:smallredface: I think that would put me near Celica.

HP: 25/25
AC: 19 (19T, 15FF)

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-15, 06:06 PM
Zrokh:
Zrokh makes it inside, heading into the mist to take the fight to the lycanthrope on the other side.

Conall:
After successfully calming the horses Conall gives them the opportunity to escape.

The assorted horses, a mixture of those owned by Bjhartel, Boot, and the ones brought by Suott, flee through the door just after Zrokh makes it inside. Most of them safely take shelter on the other side of the farmhouse.

HappyMerecat
2016-12-15, 06:59 PM
Andru

Andru withdraws into the Mist, using it to try and hide from the beast again.

Stealth 1d20+
Moves to 3C with a withdraw action

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-15, 09:53 PM
Werewolf:
As the lycanthrope sees Andru retreat, it chooses not to follow, instead taking a different course of action. A claw goes up over once of the charms hanging around its neck. As it brings its hand down, casually turning around in the same motion, it almost halves in size, a sudden gust of wind pulling on its body. Most of it fades into a mist-like substance and clings to what is left; Where the immense wolf-man stood is now a only somewhat tall, lean, male humanoid, red as moonlight, composed of living wind. It lacks any significant features to recognise it by beyond the claws, proportionally still as large as ever, and the head is a lupine skull. As it continues moving, Its reduction in size causing it to float rather than walk and it leaves a thin trail of smoky-moonlight that quickly fades or joins the true light oozing forth in crimson droplets.

It makes its way out the door, rising as it goes. This in when from outside someone can be heards shouting "There it is!".

Suott chucks his spear but it is dragged off course by the winds of the werewolf's new body, Boot Crossbow fires a bolt true however and scores a lasting hit in the creature's shoulder, the bolt falls out as the air-body swirls but a permeant mark has been left.

The lycanthrope continues rising and moves onto the roof, so that it is out of site of everyone.

Werewolf takes the form of a Medium Air Elemental, as per Elemental Body II.

Celica may take an attack of opportunity against the werewolf as it moves away.

It flies 20ft through the hole it made to get into the barn and makes it 5ft up before it is attacked by the NPCs who can use a ranged attack. Afterword it continues another 15ft up and heads 20ft onto the roof. (Essentially it is on space C5 but on the roof).

NPC's Attack rolls:
Boot:
[roll0]
Crit:
[roll1]
Damage:
[roll2]

Suott:
[roll3]
Crit:
[roll4]
Damage:
[roll5]

Boot hits and damages.

Round Ends

Amanil
2016-12-15, 10:15 PM
I'm making the assumption that Celica's attack of opportunity won't have any real impact on Sendal's actions here.
Hearing the call from outside, Sendal makes the assumption that the beast has left the barn. His next task is clear, then, and he moves cautiously to where the fallen body was spied earlier - having not seen where the wolf departed to - the light from his holy symbol emerging with him from the mist to cast bright beams out of the barn's opening.

Sendal is no great healer, and indeed, from the earlier sound it is quite likely that he may be too late, but to not try would be folly. Rather than try to assess the man's wounds, he calls upon Desna once more to save any light that may glimmer in the man's heart.

Moving to B4, casting Stabilise on the body, though it may well be too late.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-16, 08:00 PM
Sendal:
As Sendal casts the spell on the body, the spell fails. There is no trace of life left within.

Ceralune
2016-12-16, 08:17 PM
Since Celica's not armed, I don't think she can make any AoOs... right? Or did you mean the eagle? o.o

As the werewolf changes forms and starts to exit, the eagle moves to dig its beak into its back and Celica lets out a frustrated laugh, eyes blazing. Running away? And cloaked in red? I thought Gryphonelias were supposed to be brave... not cowards fleeing with their tails between their legs.

Though, as she's about to give chase, she feels the blood dripping down her arms and suddenly, the emptiness created by the absence of the voice that usually brought her out of these moods. The strange quiet in her mind doesn't fully bring her mind back, but it's startling enough that she stays put.

The eagle gives chase and moves to snap at the werewolf once more.

Eagle's Bite (AoO): [roll0]
Critical: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Eagle's Bite: [roll6]
Critical: [roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

*post roll count doesn't match database because I got confused and made more rolls than I should've. Sorry!

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-17, 11:39 AM
Celica:
The eagle heads to snap at the lycanthrope as it turns, the gust of air sending it off-course sufficiently that it only snaps at air thank to the lycanthrope's new form.

It peruses the shapeshifted beast out of the barn and onto the roof, almost hit by a stay spear. The eagle attacks again only for the lycanthrope to dodge, clearly more dexterous even if now bereft of much of it's inherent protection.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-20, 06:37 AM
Zrokh:
Zrokh jogs forwards to the other side of the mist to ensure the lycanthrope is fleeing.

"Has it fled?" he asks to Suott, who was making his way over to pick up his spear, and thus was passing the door.

"No!" says Suott while glancing to the top of the barn "The beast's shrunk, took flight, and is on the roof".

Zrokh's eyes widen before he turns to face the mist. "It got onto the roof!" he shouts.

Zrokh moves to C2

HappyMerecat
2016-12-20, 09:43 AM
Andru

Andru heads outside the barn to look up on the roof. "Isn't it trapping itself?"

~Corvus~
2016-12-20, 09:32 PM
Conall

A mist to escape this beast won't do. We must do something more. The shock of the situation had finally settled into his mind. A werewolf had attacked a poor farmer; killed a mule (or donkey); had laughed and mocked the adventurers that tried chasing it away. It was a lot more than a feral beast; it was a malicious and terrible being. Conall might get it to pay if he used all his powers for they day, but it would be a gamble.

He called again to the spirits of nature, again calling an eagle: "Might of the wind, return with your wing; fly to my aid, good eagle kin!"

Conall will sacrifice his domain spell (Obscuring Mist) to cast (Augmented) Summonon Nature's Ally I for an Eagle. He will attempt a Handle Animal check for the eagle to give it instructions:
[roll0]: Distract the Air Elemental!
If this fails, he will simply direct it to attack the Elemental (werewolf).

Edit: if he can, Conall will begin to climb the building.

Meanwhile, Conall moves closer to the house and readies his sling and his bullets before he attempts to climb the house. "Either this frakking werewolf dies this evening or I die," he mumbles to the farmers.

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-23, 09:11 PM
Conall:
Conall calls an eagle from the wilds and sends it after the werewolf.

Boot
Boot is moving 30ft back

Suott
Suott, grabbing his spear moves inside the barn.

"Watch out for tricks, it's turned into something else, it flies now!." he repeats so everyone has heard.

Bjhartel
Bjhartel backs away to better view the roof.

"Careful, lets back away an' see what this thing does. Could be after anyone. It chases you run for the house."

Guthrr
Guthrr moves towards the house.

Yri
Yri moves towards the house.

Boot moves up off the map.

Suott moves to D3

Bjhartel moves right off the map

Guthrr moves left off the map.

Yri moves left off the map.

Werewolf
The airborne lycanthrope goes to float off the edge but suddenly Conall's eagle swoops past, reflexively calling his attentions to it and trying to dodge, after which the eagle is out of the way for a retaliatory strike. Again the eagle goes around the werewolf all-but ruining its attempts to move.

Fed up with this it stretches out a phantasmal claw and tries to say something in some language with it's echoing voice that seems to emerge form the air itself.

"Fall under night's e-"

But before it can finish the eagle circles again managing to collide with the beast's jaw, foiling what it attempted.

The lycanthrope only manages to spit out a few stray feathers after moving a few feet towards the edge of the roof.

Casts Moonstruck on the eagle.

Concentration Check: DC 19
[roll0]

Eagle will save:
[roll1]

Afterwards Lycanthrope move to B5.

Rounds Ends

~Corvus~
2016-12-24, 12:08 AM
Conall is out of spells, out-gunned by a wolf-man who has killed far too many creatures. Normally, he'd run away to fight another day. But something about this night was just leaving him at wit's end. Filled with an unexplainable anger, he moves up the ladder and moves toward the beast as best he can, club brandished before him.

Conall moves towards B5 as best he can, double-moving if possible. No defensive action taken.

Amanil
2016-12-24, 01:23 AM
Sendal muttered a curse at the werewolf's victim's condition, closing the man's eyes to give him some semblance of dignity in death.

The mist had served its purpose, and now was doing little but making coordinating things difficult. He stood from his crouched position over the fallen, clasping his hand over his holy symbol and breathing in deeply then letting it out slowly as he uttered a single word.

"Enough."

This mist that filled the barn dissipated into the very air it sat in, with the light from his holy symbol now piercing through it.

Sendal took stock of those in the barn, and noted that Celica was visibly injured and obviously in some amount of shock. He moved to her, eyeing her wounds.

"Are you able to fight? The beast is still about." he asked her, genuine concern in his voice.

Standard action to dismiss the Obscuring Mist, move action to move to B7.

Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19yTNgG4gT-g9p4ytRC75r8_VLEJkx8zBju85DVfNNAY/pubhtml) updated to Sendal's move, not sure if Connall should move yet?

Ceralune
2016-12-24, 02:28 AM
Celica turns to Sendal, eyes still slightly glazed for a second, before they clear entirely and she blinks at him in recognition. "I..." She looks down at her arms suddenly, and feels somewhat naked without Alcydine's form to shield her weaknesses. Recalling how the beast had sliced through him like it was nothing, her hand curls into a fist and she slams it on the wall in frustration.

Ignoring the little voice in her that asked, And how do you suppose you'll fight without Alcydine? she mutters, "I'm fine." Her spine straightens as she goes over to see what is going on outside.

Outside, the eagle she summoned continues trying to harass the werewolf.

Celica examines the form of the werewolf, unsure of how to hinder it at this point. Seeing Conall rushing towards it, she grits her teeth slightly in frustration. If I had been a little faster in pulling myself together, I probably could have shielded him before he jumped in there. Instead, she pulls out her crossbow, and takes aim.

Celica uses two move actions, one to get outside the barn, another to reload her crossbow.

Eagle makes a full attack.

Talon Attack Roll [roll0]
Crit? [roll1]
Damage? [roll2]

Talon Attack Roll [roll3]
Crit? [roll4]
Damage? [roll5]

Bite [roll6]
Crit? [roll7]
Damage? [roll8]

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-24, 12:48 PM
Celica:
The eagle continues attacking, but to little effect. The first and third strike is dodged thanks to the beats heightened agility while the second comes close after using an opening from the newly summoned bird but the eagle is buffeted by a stray wind before it connects.

Zrokh:
As the mist disperses Zrokh sees Conall heading for the ladder moving nearby to come up afterwards, trusting him to have a plan.

Zrokh trades his Standard Action for a Move action and uses both to move to D11

HappyMerecat
2016-12-26, 08:27 PM
Andru

Andru keeps his blades in his hands in case the creatures comes back the ground. "Kinda hopin' that thing just leaves."

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-27, 02:41 PM
Boot
Boot Loads his crossbow while moving to get a better arc of fire, taking aim for if it moves.

Suott
Suott turns around, facing outside. He takes up a stance to defend himself if necessary.

Bjhartel
Bjhartel stand where he is, keeping watch of the lycanthrope.

Guthrr
Guthrr stand waiting to see what happens, prepared to run if needed.

Yri
Yri also stands prepared to run.

Boot take a 5ft step to the left (still off map) and loads his had crossbow. He readies an action to shoot at the werewolf is it moves.

Suott readies an action to take a 5ft step and attack if the werewolf enters 10ft of him.

Bjhartel is waiting to see how things play out

Guthrr and Yri each ready an action to run if the lycanthrope moves with 15ft.

Werewolf:
The transformed werewolf springs from the roof, swinging it's claw over to the eagle that has been pestering it. Despite its effort the eagle dodges the claw. It continues flying straight ahead, away from the fight.

Werewolf's Actions]
Claw on Conall's eagle (claws are from Aspect of the Beast Feat):
Claw:
Crit?: [roll1]

Werewolf moves 60ft left off map

Conall's eagle, Celica's eagle, and Conall get attacks of opportunity.

Boot Shoots:
Bolt: [roll]1d20+4
Crit?: 1d20+4
Damage: 1d3+0

End of Round (after attacks of opportunity)

Amanil
2016-12-27, 07:10 PM
Looking both ways out of the barn, Sendal chose to move in the same direction as Celica and Andru. He moves between the two, holding the holy symbol aloft so as to better light the evening sky as he emerged. Seeing the beast departing, he instead spends time calling upon Desna to close Celica's wounds.

"May the Light of the North Star wash over you."

I'm assuming that the AoOs have minimal effect, so posting here regardless. Moving to C15, Sendal's Daylight spell illuminates 60' around him in bright light and 60' beyond that in increased light (darkness to dim, dim to normal).

Converting Remove Fear to Cure Light Wound, casting on Celica.

[roll0]

Ceralune
2016-12-27, 07:34 PM
As the werewolf strikes, the eagle moves to try and snap at its eye.

Celica blinks in surprise as she feels her wounds scab over, and casts a grateful glance Sendal's way. Seeing the beast start to leave, she lowers her crossbow.

The eagle, regardless of the results of its attempt at the werewolf's eye, flies after it and moves to strike again.

Eagle AoO Bite: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Crit? [roll2]
Crit Damage? [roll3]

The eagle flies in the direction of the werewolf, and then attacks.

Eagle Bite: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]
Crit? [roll6]
Crit Damage? [roll7]

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-28, 05:29 PM
Celica:
The eagle's first strike, at the beast's eye, proves itself ineffective after hitting open air once it's target flies off. Its pursuit shows results however as a beak plants itself just above the waist.

Zrokh:
Heading over to the ladder Zrokh rushes up as fast as he can, Making it to the top.

Accelerated Climb: [roll0]

~Corvus~
2016-12-30, 02:51 PM
Conall

The druid swings at the airy wolf with his club, hard. As it ignores him, he swings again and again.

AoO upon passing by entry square:
Attack:[roll0] (crit) Attack:[roll1]

Turn, Standard:
Attack:[roll3] (crit) Attack:[roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

AoO #2, creature passing by while it's his turn
Attack:[roll6] (crit) Attack:[roll7]
Damage: [roll8]

ThreadNecro5
2016-12-31, 04:55 PM
Conall:

Despite his best efforts Conall succeeds only in landing a glancing hit to no real effect, with later strikes hitting only air. The wrong air anyway given the beasts present state.

And that is combat officially over.

The lycanthrope is escaping, followed by summoned eagles unless their controller specifies otherwise.

With the werewolf fleeing to the treeline the end of battle is marked.

As things calm down a pair voices can be heard giving a commentary on events. Guthrr and Yri, just a little far to hear clearly.

"Its goin' into the trees!" echoes Bjhartel, closer.

Suott Moves deeper into the Barn, spear at ease, looking around to assess the damages. "I-I think that is the end of it. How many wounded? Any bites?" he asks in a tone that suggest he was out of his depth in the fight against the creature.

Amanil
2016-12-31, 05:06 PM
"The man in the barn," Sendal gestures with his spear and holding his symbol in the general direction so as to light the area better. "He's beyond my help, and probably beyond that of all but his god," he adds, sadly.

"What was that creature? It moved with such power then disappeared into the air itself? It seemed scantily hurt by even our combined efforts..." he asks no one in particular, having not seen the transformation through the mist. He is obviously disturbed by the attack of the wolfman, wondering what other strangeness is likely to beset them under these unfamiliar stars.

Ceralune
2016-12-31, 05:07 PM
It sinks in that the werewolf is gone, and Celica drops her slight scowl only to have it return in full force as her father inquires about the injured. The last thing I need is for them to try and coddle me... or tell me that my magic has gotten me into trouble again. She tucks away her crossbow and pastes an innocent look on her face while she glances around at the damages.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-01, 04:57 PM
"My guess? It's an elf." says Suott "Lycanthropy works different for them. They're already lunatic beasts in near human skin, so the curse keeps their wits intact and pushes itself to new heights. 'Two halves of the beast feed whole' is how things were explained to me".

"But that..." He says in a tone that makes the identity of 'that' clear "... That was something more than normal. Most werewolves are not the size of giants or turn into living moonlight. It feels like this world is falling apart. First earthquakes, then the dead have came crawling back, Now we have this so far from the Wildwood. Guardian..." he finishes, saying the name under his breath

As he recovers from his small breakdown he turns his attention to the corpse...

Meanwhile, Outside:
Bjhartel is making his way back to the barn when he looks up at the roof.

"You fine up there?" he shouts up at Conall and Zrokh.

From inside Suott shouts out a question. "What's the plan with this corpse? They were dead by the time we got here."

Bjhartel takes a moment to think and head to the hole the lycanthrope made before speaking. "We can wrap it in an old cloth sheet I have in the house, then take it to be interred on the way to town". He turns to face two of his approaching grandchildren. "Yri, come with me. We need to get somethin' from the house. Guthrr, Can you try can shift the mule"?

With that the two begin to travel back to the house, with Guthrr going into the barn.

~Corvus~
2017-01-02, 01:10 AM
Conall

It's been an emotional ending to a good day of work. "I'm not okay with that beast having slaughtered all those animals and gotten away," he grumbles. "If this world is having more threats as these then we may have to get stronger. I was having some dark thoughts," he admits. When the old farmer determines that the body should be buried, the druid calls out to him. "Bjhartel, wait!"

He descends from the roof and makes his way over. "Something about the nature of the evil you speak of leads me to think that just burying the body won't do. We should burn it, and burn it well. Few beings return after being reduced to ash.

Ceralune
2017-01-03, 12:30 AM
Celica doesn't say a word throughout Suott's explanation, or comment on what to do with the dead man. Instead, she fidgets somewhat impatiently. Alcydine won't be able to change back until tomorrow... and I won' be able to heal him until then. She raises a hand to her ear, brushing her fingers across the twisted metal that looks dull and lifeless at the moment.

That's it, this waiting will drive me mad. I need to do something.

"If we wish to burn the body, I suppose I had best help with that. Just need something dry to light up."

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-03, 03:33 PM
Bjhartel nods in agreement up at Conall after another moment to think. "That should work, I keep a supply of wood an' fire starting supplies in the house for emergencies. We can deal with the mule at the same time. Shouldn't be too disrespectful, 'pparently they do the same thing in south Slomor with someone's horse".

Somewhat later:
Through a team effort it is not long until the impromptu funeral pyre is built.

During construction the barn had been cleaned out, with Guthrr having the idea to chop the mule into smaller parts to help it burn. At this time Boot and Suott went about returning the assorted horses to the stable. As to the pyre itself almost everyone going spare went about carrying several half-logs or assembling them into shape. The final construction is a three layer assembly consisting of a 'bed' of logs over which is a sheet soaked in an acrid, almost waxy, yellow propellant topped with the corpse and some mule. Atop this is another orderly layer of logs topped with more propellant, the rest of the mule, a little black power that according to Bjhartel 'Wouldn't hurt', and finally more logs. With that done a thin rope laced with flammable compounds is pushed into the core of the pyre to help it light.

"That seems to be it then." says Bjhartel with everyone gathered outside. "Celica, If you'll do the honours." he adds, a respectful nod towards the pyre.

Ceralune
2017-01-03, 03:38 PM
Celica nods at Bjhartel, and flames flicker in her palms. She sends the searing heat towards the pyre, which catches fire. The flames quickly spread throughout the entire structure, igniting it and the bodies.

Amanil
2017-01-04, 02:12 PM
With an amount of reverance, Sendal used the light that lingered from his holy symbol to help those carrying out their work. He did so wordlessly, obviously somewhat contemplative.

As the fire catches he seems to have come to terms with the brutality of this new world, and his face softens somewhat.

"It has been a most tiring day. Perhaps we had best retire for the evening, ready for a fresh start at sunrise?" he suggests to both his companions and his host.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-04, 04:48 PM
"Sounds good to me." says Bjhartel "Sooner we get this rott'n night over with the better. Although I'll be happier with someone on watch in case the monster comes back".

He turns to Suott. "Son, You mind splittin' the watch between us? You after me."

"Guess I can". he replies before resuming his conversation with Boot.

"I can pitch in too, if it is not too pushy of me? asks Zrokh.

"Seems fine. You can take second watch, Suott has first, and I'll do third? I can use the opportunity to fix up food for when everyone wakes." says Bjhartel, raising his voice slight to let Suott hear. This is responded with a nod from him.

Meenwhile, while whoever's keeping watch is being negotiated, Yri says "If anyone needs it I put out supplies to clean wounds. An extended illness this time of year can be a serious issue".

Slightly later Guthrr approaches Conall to satisfy his curiosity. "So, I overheard you suggest we burn the body. Does... wherever you are from also have this problem with the dead?" asks the orc.

Ceralune
2017-01-05, 02:54 PM
Under almost any other circumstance, Celica would eagerly listen to whatever it is these plane-travelers have to say about where they came from. But her mind still feels unsettlingly clear without Alcydine's voice there, and for once she doesn't make any move to try and take watch in the presence of her family, no attempts to prove that she's still as capable as ever. The sooner I can sleep, the sooner Alcydine can come back, she murmurs internally, wishing for the depths of sleep to mask the time that needs to pass for his power to regenerate.

"I'll be off to bed then. Good night," she says curtly, and then goes off to where her family is sleeping.

~Corvus~
2017-01-05, 03:31 PM
Conall

During the vigil, Conall kept himself busy with his quarterstaff lit with an orison--he poked the beast's flesh to ensure that it blackened as much as it could--but he had no illusion that it would all char away.

When Guthurr approaches him with his question, he shakes his head. "We have many problems with our world, good orc. They bubble up into our world as if its core held some malign beast that oozes the evil with the world's shifting.

The idea is more practical: I've never heard of a were-beast rising from its charred carcass, nor a vampire. We burn it to disintegrate its form as best we can. Guthurr, would you be so kind as to help address any wounds I've received? I believe I have a scratch on my back and i'm not one to ignore the fresh bandages Yri put out...

He brings the orc over to Yri's stash and does a thorough investigation of himself upon his own. "We would do well to sleep," he observes. "We will likely need it"

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-06, 08:27 AM
"Sure, I can help with that" says Guthurr, who proceeds to offer an admittedly inexperienced hand with the disinfectant and bandaging.

Meanwhile:
Bjhartel is direction Zrokh, Andru and Boot to the rooms they will be using. Unfortunately, as Bjhartel explains, all the human sized beds are already taken up, meaning someone is stuck using the giant-sized bed. This is rectified with Zrokh volunteering to use the giant-scale bed, allowing Boot to use one of the single beds.

I will continue things to the morning after once I have confirmation that anyone who wants to act has done so.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-08, 06:22 PM
The next morning comes without apparent incident.

Everyone wakes to a smell of fresh bread, which is discovered to on the table as pat of breakfast. alongside the sourdough loafs are scrabbled eggs, an assortment of fruits that need eaten, and half a jar of pickled greens that were also going spare.

After eating and confirmation from your host that any wounds from the previous night have begun recovery you are informed that Guthurr will be directing and assisting you all today as Bjhartel will be processing the wheat and a few of the plants harvested yesterday. And so began a day picking the vegetables...

Several hours later:
As it so happens the widely dispersed root vegetables were mostly centred around the point of origin for one group of the inadvertent planar travellers. The bodies of the deceased seemingly dealt with by carrion beasts, leaving the rubble and a wrecked waggon to mark the impact.

After the initial surprise by Guthurr things were explained and you all began to make good progress. The weather was dry but cold, a fact not helped by the wind carrying sea air inland.

Time passed quickly with the orc proving himself quite chatty. In the end there was a wagon full of vegetables and things have passed without harm.

Back at the house:
More time has passed. The wagons Suott, Celica, Guthrr, and Yri, arrived in have been loaded up with the crops and caged animals. Bjhartel has packed whatever he plans to bring back into town. Overall things are about wrapped up, with only a last meal before everyone sets off.

As everyone eats Bjhartel looks as if a thought has came across him, in reaction to which he turns to the resident planar travellers. "You know, 'just realised somethin' he says, emphasising himself with a hand gesture "You'll need some coin for the inn or something once we get to town. Do any of you have money on you? An' what is the money back where you're all from"?

Amanil
2017-01-11, 09:00 PM
Sendal began his day with his morning prayers, though he felt somewhat odd in doing so. His meditation and recitations had an echo in his soul like they normally did, but it was just... unfamiliar. Perhaps he was closer or further from Desna now? Certainly something worthy of further theorising.

Regardless, outwardly he conveyed his normal aura of optimistic calm, and all were welcome to join him in the open air for a few words of thanks and wishes for a fortuitous day ahead on the road, companions and relative strangers alike.

After the vegetables had been collected and preparations were nearing completion, Sendal mused over Bjhartel's question. He withdrew a few coins from his pouch, showing them to his host.

"This is what we use. These are copper, the least valuable, but a few will get you a warm meal. These are made of silver, and are worth a pound or so of wrought iron, and these are gold and could buy a small animal like a goat. What do you use here?"

HappyMerecat
2017-01-11, 09:25 PM
Andru

At the talk of an Inn and money Andru perks up. "Do they have gambling here?"

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-12, 07:50 PM
Bjhartel takes a close look at Sendal's coins, before looking satisfied. With a light smile he says "Looks comparable to what we use. Same basic system. Outside of Duesea we 'ave some other currencies. You might run into a Minotaur coin, those are solid steel disks the size of your palm, Consider them worth about a gold. In Slomor they have two unusual coins. The Trade-Weight is a flatten'd metal block worth about ten gold, not often used outside of internal trade amongst the nobility". Bjhartel then continues with a note of amusement at the next item "The other is the Pouch, which are these odd littl' things the size of a finger, made to be impossible to fake. Each is a see-through pouch made from the fur of a Slomori glass fox, which is filled with the pinkish salt found only in Slomor's salt lakes. I wish I was joking about that one..." he trails off.

"I've only heard things of the moneys used in Ahuxian, That is the western continent, but I know of two sorts; there's these coins of hardened leather. And another's gold an' silver that has been flattened rolled into a stick of sorts".

On hearing Andru's interest in gambling, Bjhartel has a quiet smile to himself at the odd question. "Yes, we've an assortment of games with both cards and knucklebones. Also in town there's a little fighting pit people can challenge each other or bet on other fights".

Slightly Later, Finishing up the Meal:
As conversations about currency and gambling end it is a little later that Bjhartel explains about the route to town, which apparently should take around three days, and suggests his guests from off-plane have Celica accompany them to offer directions in the event you get separated.

"Seems a fine idea to me." replies Zrokh. "Any Objections?"

Meenwhile, while this discussion takes place, Guthurr makes conversation with Andru. "A gambler are you? If you have the stuff on you, how about tonight you show me some games from where your from?" he makes his challenge clear with the mock smugness in his next sentence. "I can liven things up with some spare silver".

Later Outside, Leaving:
Everyone is packed and heading to their vehicles. The chill from earlier has increased a little. As everyone who shall be using the carriage opens the door they find something unexpected. There is some manner of small scrimshaw totem of bone, wood, and horn, all bound with roots and plant fibres, on the floor inside. Buried inside the wood is a dagger of bone, handle raised at and angle.

Amanil
2017-01-13, 09:44 PM
Seeing the dagger as people board the carriage - though he himself had elected to walk alongside - reminds Sendal of something that, in the heat of the encounter, had gone forgotten.

"Oh, did anyone happen to notice what that wolf was carving into the barn last night? I think we were all a bit preoccupied, but the dagger - Celica's is it? - reminds me of it."

Ceralune
2017-01-14, 01:01 AM
Celica starts as she reprocesses what just came out of Bjhartel's mouth. Go with them? It seems almost too easy - here she is, wondering how to avoid the awkwardness of asking to tag along with them, and suddenly it just drops into her lap. She has to hold back an eager grin as she says "It would be my pleasure. I don't have any ongoing jobs anyways, so I have time," with some amount of poise.

I suppose this is our next task, then? You seem rather pleased with yourself.

Yes, it is. Celica doesn't respond to Alcydine's other comment; some part of her subconscious merely revels in the fact that Alcydine is back, thus the absence of any snark. Instantly upon awaking that morning, she had summoned him and healed him, and hopefully they would not part again for a long, long time.

~

At the sight of the dagger and Andru's question, Celica shoots him a puzzled look. "That... is not mine." Studying the dagger from a distance away, she tries to recall what happened that night, no matter how much she might wish to not think about it. "I noticed the beast's carving as well, but I couldn't make out what it said. Is it still there?"

Alcydine "respawns" with half HP (9/19). Alcydine heals [roll0] HP from Lesser Rejuvenate Eidolon.

If this is not enough, Celica casts it again, healing [roll1] HP.

Perception to notice anything about the dagger that hasn't already been mentioned: [roll2]

HappyMerecat
2017-01-14, 11:04 AM
Andru

Andru checks his daggers, "Not mine."

"I noticed the beast's carving as well, but I couldn't make out what it said. Is it still there?"

"Lets go look at what it was doing then." Andru heads towards the door.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-14, 04:47 PM
What Celica Notices About the Dagger:
You notice that the dagger is not only made of bone but also includes some portion of bright metal in the blade, visible between hilt and wood, and buttressed against a bar of bone that supports the blade. It is sized for a human sized creature and well made, likely carved from something's leg bone. The grip still bearing some natural curvature which would make it comfortable to use.

Embellishing the weapon are scrimshaw images picked out in a vibrant yellow tone depicting an antlered humanoid. Depictions of this person corkscrew down the handle, half of which showing them in a shape similar to the massive lycanthrope from the prior night, although this person retains their antlers. Each scene shows them engaged in combat or exalting in victory until the final 'turns' of the story, having changed colour to an almost too-bright red, show a stalemate between the antlered lycanthrope and a axe wielding giant in a suit of plate. The following images are either a continuation of the same fight or snapshots of others across a longer period of time. Their end is concealed on the rear end of the blade.

The Barn:
I'm assuming at least Andru and Celica are going to the barn. I am wording things I a way that anyone could write themselves into the events.

As Zrokh goes to inform Bjhartel that the carriage will be a minute, waiting for those who are checking the barn. Boot also stays behind to keep the horses prepared.

Inside it cannot be said if the edge of copper in the air is a remnant of the previous night that failed to wash out or if the memory has soaked into the walls themselves. As everyone gathers to the carving it shows itself to be text. Each symbol in the runic script carved with three clawed fingers.

The text seems almost ritualistic in nature. Almost part of a poem or song.

Translated, it states the following:

The victor/predator, dead and rotten.
The one who lost, Fights their fate/death.
Lifted by taint you make the choice unearned.

Dead and Rotten, you hunt again.
Body without substance. Mind carried on without force. Will not truly your own.
Dead, you are broken by the victor/predator true.
Rotten, you are scourged under the gaze/light.

Return to death. This place is not yours.
Return by your own power/claw/will. Or wander et-

Ceralune
2017-01-17, 02:54 PM
Well, it's a beautiful dagger... Celica thinks to herself, her usual penchant for pretty objects such as these showing. She's almost tempted to take it, but the strangeness of it stops her. But what's it doing here?

Perhaps you should study it a little more closely.

Celica inwardly nods at Alcydine's suggestion, and focuses on it, trying to ascertain the nature of the object. She does this for a moment before following Andru to the barn.

Celica uses Detect Magic on the dagger.

~

Having studied arcane texts inscribed in the Elven language during her time in the library, Celica murmurs the words out loud to those in the barn. She repeats her actions on the dagger, as the almost chant-like text seems to radiate an ominous air.

Celica uses Detect Magic on the carving/general vicinity of the barn.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-17, 04:36 PM
Celica's Detect Magic Results:
Dagger:
Peering past the natural background of magic produced by the plane around you, you find the dagger is indeed sufficed with some form of magic.

The dagger has a moderate aura

Elven Text:
Upon examination it becomes clear that the text is not magical in nature, the only magic around it is that directionless mixture of this plane's makings that ooze from everything to one day fill the maelstrom of souls.

The magic of the surrounding area too is normal, although given how the text was incomplete it cannot be known if a spell was interrupted or if the writing truly is just that.

Ceralune
2017-01-18, 11:23 PM
"Tch, well, the carvings are just carvings. No fancy tricks, it seems, though I can't tell if it was supposed to do something else and the beast just didn't finish what he was doing. I don't suppose you have any idea what it might mean?" Celica asks, while trying to think on what the almost poetic text could be referencing.

As she says this out loud, though, her thoughts lead her to the one being she is closest with, and who has had many interactions involving death. Alcydine... any idea what it might mean?

Would Alcydine have an inkling of what's going on, given his history?

Knowledge checks, in case they might help:

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]
Knowledge (Planes): [roll1]

It almost sounds like it is referring to one of the undead. The text being written in Elven is a strange coincidence at best... most Elven souls attempt to fight their way back to the mortal plane, whether to make their way back to their respective deities or claw their way back to the living.

Celica repeats the knowledge back to the others, before attempting to digest it. "It seems like whoever suggested that the beast might be an Elf was right - though I've never heard of one having the power to change his form so completely. They develop some monstrous characteristics through the absorption of trace amounts of magic, but to take on the full form of a werewolf?" She shivers slightly at the memory.

"And that still leaves so many questions... why would an Elf be all the way over here?"

Amanil
2017-01-21, 06:57 PM
Sendal muses over Celica's words, and assuming that someone translates the poem for him he mentally files it away. He seems somewhat surprised be her comments regarding elves, though, and says as much.

"Are elves not common in these parts? I gather we're a little out of the way and many here are your family, but I admit, I'm used to being around people of a variety of kinds and to hear something so blanket as elves not generally being seen in this part of the world is a little surprising to me."

HappyMerecat
2017-01-21, 07:32 PM
Andru

Andru shrugs. "I can't read it. Don't know much about elves or this world."

Ceralune
2017-01-21, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I mentioned that Celica repeated the words out loud. I just didn't want to repeat the whole thing again.

"Elves normally stick to the Wildwood, on the eastern side of the continent." Remembering that the plane-travelers have no idea where that would be compared to their current location, Celica adds, "This farm is almost as far west as it gets."

She's entirely curious about the situation, but decides to stay her questions for now. No one here would be able to answer them anyways. "Well, there's nothing we can do about it at the moment, I suppose. Though if we run into anyone who might know more about this..." Pulling out an inkpen and parchment from her bag, she scrawls out the text and blows gently until it dries.

With that, unless anyone has anything to add, Celica makes her way back over to the carriage. Upon arriving, she opens the door and looks at the intricate dagger embedded in the totem once more. Well, nothing bad has happened so far. And it is rather pretty... Making up her mind, she picks up the two items and tries to get the dagger out, wrapping it in a spare cloth and pocketing it if she succeeds.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-23, 06:13 PM
Investigation finished those presciently within the barn make their way back to the carriage. Both it and the waggons then get to the road.

Celica's continued investigation of the dagger:
As you take a closer look at the exact nature of it's inherent magic, it becomes apparent that the dagger has the ability to harm those creatures that lack a physical body. Such creatures are rare but often dangerous due to the inability to harm them without magic. With only weapons specifically enchanted to exist both in a material and immaterial state, like this dagger, able to interact with them normally. Reports of encounters having grown more common since the rise of beings neither living or dead.

it is a +1 Ghost Touch Alchemical Silver dagger

Now that you have gotten the ability to inspect it closer you can see the end to the story the images show. In the end the antlered lycanthrope was defeated and beheaded by the giant. Around the base of the daggers hilt it shows the phases of the moon, perhaps giving a rough time to the events pictured.

After some time traveling:
After some time the carriage has followed the wagons to a properly maintained road, rather than the rough dirt one that stretch most of the distance between here and the farm. As you all travel across it can be seen that the flagstones show the marks of occasional repairs and replacement, with some areas seeming for a more advanced method that others. As with many things in Duesea the road is twice as wide as it really needed to be.

This stretch of the journey is mostly uneventful with only the occasional other person passed along the way, Starting with two orcs arguing over directions standing off to the side of a fork in the road.

A little later you are all slowed down by a heard of goats in the middle of the road and their owner who is currently failing to make them cooperate. Also waiting is another wagon, filled with a family of farmers and their harvest, which Bjhartel offering a wave. Eventually the animals are gotten into a semblance of order and taken back to their pasture.

With the delays Suott shouts over that it seems about time to make camp a short distance ahead

Making Camp and Overnight:
After finding a good spot for the tents, of which enough were packed for everyone, the people in the waggons begin setting them up, with the others asked to help where they can.

A fire is made, beds are prepared, the horses are looked after, and end everyone had finished their share of work. A simple meal of salted meat and some vegetables is made, and watch order is talked over.

Guthurr also asks Andru if he wishes to bet over some silver.

The Following Morning, on the Road Again:
The chilly night passed without incident to herald and equally chilly morning. You have all been traveling for a few hours now and are passing another branch in the road. From this location the road goes both left and straight, with an old abandoned looking watchtower between the roads.

Everyone make a perception check.

NPC Perception Checks:
Conall:
[roll0]

Boot:
[roll1]

Zrokh:
[roll2]

Bjhartel:
[roll3]

Suott:
[roll4]

Guthrr:
[roll5]

Yri:
[roll6]

Ceralune
2017-01-23, 09:34 PM
The discoveries regarding the dagger are like little bursts of joy, and Celica's eyes light up as she unravels each mystery. It isn't everyday that you see a weapon like this. The images portrayed barely mutes it, only leaving her a little unsure of the nature of the story displayed by the dagger. She wonders to herself whether the story is fiction... or if it truly happened.

The wagon ride is dull enough not to draw her attention at all, and she merely toys with the dagger and converses idly with Alcydine instead of peering out the window. The stop for the night that follows is just as uneventful, and she eats her meal in relative silence, taking her watch without complaint.

The following morning, it seems like the group is returning to that state of travel, and Celica muffles a yawn as they sit in the carriage. The old abandoned watchtower that they eventually come across is enough of a change in scenery that it causes her to look, as even that which is unexciting is still a welcome interruption to what would otherwise be purely monotonous travel.

Perception: [roll0]

HappyMerecat
2017-01-23, 09:43 PM
Andru

Andru looks at Guthurr and smiles. "Bet on ... what?"

Perception [roll0]

Amanil
2017-01-24, 08:23 AM
It felt good to be on the road again, and Sendal relished the opportunity to walk paths that - had it not been for the incident that brought them to this strange world - he likely never would have.

Given the width of the roads, he typically walks alongside the wagon, making idle conversation with those inside or simply musing over the scenery for its subtle differences compared to back in Varisia.

As the camp settles down for the night, Sendal makes sure to watch the stars begin to show in an attempt to understand where he is now, but is unable to make sense of them. He had never had much of a head for astronomy, short of a few of the key stars relevant for spiritual reasons.

The following morning had him up early, his quiet meditation, thanks, and prayers to Desna once again oddly sounding in his mind. He'd half-hoped that perhaps his companions would join him in a few words now that they were back on the road, but he certainly did not insist on the matter.

As the watchtower and fork in the road comes into view, Sendal asks those inside the wagon about it.

"You said we were on the west of the continent? It reassures me that the tower sits unused; an old border, now irrelevant and such that folk may wander freely."

[roll0]

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-25, 12:08 PM
Guthurr and Andru's conversation the prior night:

"I was thinking we try something from where you came from." Gutherr smiles back. "I like trying a new game now and again, keeps the mind sharp".

The Watchtower:
When nearing the tower Bjhartel can be heard calling something. Soon after Yri, in the adjacent wagon, calls the message over to the carriage.

"Bjhartel says he saw someone in the tower. We're speeding up a little to pass it quickly, just in case" she says.

On the attempt to pass however the person inside storms from the door and down a few steps to stand in the middle of the road, arms out to the side and hefting a shortsword. He is a surly looking orc in a chain shirt.

"It would be in your best interests to stop!" he yells.

From the roof, Boot knocks a couple of times. "Should we?" he asks those beside and within the carriage.

There is still a little time to decide...

Ceralune
2017-01-26, 02:28 AM
The appearance of the man in the middle of the road is annoying, to be frank. A more unhinged Celica from her days in the library would have looked at the man and run him over without a second glance; it would serve him right for standing there while a carriage rolls towards him at this speed, and standing there on purpose of all things! But she reminds herself that "civilized people do not knowingly run over men with their wagons," and with a resigned sigh replies, "I guess we had better, right?"

Alcydine doesn't respond to her internal thoughts, but Celica swears he's judging her anyways.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-26, 04:23 PM
The carriage stops, falling in line with the wagons.

"Good, Good." says the orc loudly enough for all to hear in a voice showing a hint of an accent (likely from the regions to the immediate south as locals might notice), trying his best to put on a friendly smile but only managing to look more threatening with the attempt. "Now, lets get this out of the way. This is a robbery. Try anything and my friends inside open fire, run on and my friends down the way spring from hiding to cut you down." he says pointing a thumb at the tower. All this time he wanders closer, heading for the central wagon with Bjhartel and Yri.

"Lucky for you people, I'm no monster. Winter's harsh. Hand over your coin, valuables, and a little food, then I signal the guys down the road and you are free to go, sell some stuff, and head to wherever you're going little worse for wear. What do you say? Oh, and before someone does try something, yes you could likely kill me, but not before I get at least one of you, so... take mind of that." he ends with supreme confidence.

As the bandit nears Bjhartel is whispering at his pet, until recently at his feet and now rearing up, heads in the air and bearing open jaws. He trying to stop it from escalating the situation.

Orc's Bluff roll: [roll0]

Everyone make a Sense Motive check (DC is the orc's Bluff roll, Details on success are in the spoiler below)
the orc's confidence is fake. He is lying, both about the number of people waiting in the tower and about hidden in ambush.

If combat starts I will try making a map using a table.

Bjhartel's Handle Animal roll: [roll1]

Ceralune
2017-01-26, 04:40 PM
Ohh, for pete's sake, is this guy for real? Celica asks herself exasperatedly. Was this scoundrel seriously trying to rob them? I knew we should have run him over.

As usual, though, Alcydine balances her haste with reason. We can't confirm that his claims are false. It's irritating, but Celica admits that he's right. What do we do then?

Well, we have to cooperate with him, lest one of your family gets harmed. The thought of that is sobering; despite their rocky relationship, Celica doesn't want any of them hurt. But... you can summon help, yes? And at this suggestion, Celica gets an idea. Attacking would be too risky, but she can do something else. Like hell she would sit here while this guy and his cronies rob her family. She takes out a tiny bag and a candle from her component pouch, keeping her actions hidden by the sides of the wagon. She leans over to Andru and speaks the necessary words into his ear, giving the appearance of conversing with him. Hopefully, with the guy unable to know what languages they all know and the magical components of spells, he wouldn't suspect anything.

If this guy is threatening us, we should see just how many friends he has in that tower, yes?

Celica casts Summon Monster I, summoning a Celestial eagle 30 ft away (in a tree or bush if possible, so that the orc can't see it appear). She then casts Message on the Eagle and whispers to it, directing it to the tower. If the windows are open or there is space for the Eagle to go inside and look around, it does this. She tells it to chirp once for every person it sees in the tower, either through the window or by actually going inside.

Handle Animal if needed: [roll0]. Or if I'm allowed to take 10, that'd be cool too. ;~;

Amanil
2017-01-27, 08:39 AM
From his position outside of the carriage, Sendal is not privy to the goings-on within. He grips his longspear more firmly, though, as the orc reveals his intentions, but does so with a raised eyebrow.

Something about this is not right.

"No monster? You accost innocent travelers on the road and threaten them with death if they do not hand over their livelihood, and you call yourself 'no monster'?" Sendal asks, somewhat incredulously.

He scans the tower and the area further up the road, looking for the slightest hint of fellow brigands to add credence to the orc's threat.

[roll0]

HappyMerecat
2017-01-27, 03:47 PM
Andru

Andru smiles. "Well, I have some cards and dice from our world. Both can be used for multiple games." Andru retrieves a deck of cards and two dice from his backpack. "There are far more games one can play with cards, than with dice." He shows them to Guthurr.

ThreadNecro5
2017-01-28, 04:48 PM
Celica's Perspective:
The eagle is successfully summoned and concealed in a patch of long grasses and larger plants. It flies up over to a window in the side of the tower, and then lands for a moment to look around.

It is not long until it sends a chirp back over the spell and then heads a deeper inside. Almost half a minute latter it chirps again.

Sendal's Perspective:
Peering down the road you can see no hidden bandits waiting to spring into action, and the false confidence in the bandit's voice becomes clear. A second glance at the tower shows a crossbow and a lock of hair sticking out from the side of a window for a second and deeper into the building something is repositioning itself inside, but further details remain sparse as it clings to what shadows it can.

After hearing your words he turns from the central wagon to face you and draws closer, perhaps a third the distance to the carriage. "Now, no need to get aggressive. I- We are offering you and your companions free and safe passage. Monsters now, they would just cut you down and take what they want from the bodies. So let me just finish here and things will all be over..." he says

As the bandit turns back to face the wagon he was just at Bjhartel's pet spays some manner of fluid from its heads, leaving a surprisingly large cloud of whitish vapour.

"Ah!, gods" shouts the bandit in surprise "Well I'm not just taking that!" he says hefting his sword.

doing rolls

Bjhartel pet is attacking:
Spit: [roll0]

Result: Missed

Everyone has enough time to do something minor (e.g. get out of the carriage or cast a spell) then roll initiative.

I will try making a map next time I post.

Amanil
2017-01-28, 06:32 PM
In a slightly uncharacteristic show of loyalty to these strangers - Sendal moved with surprising agility to position himself between the lizard and the orc. He did not know those he was defending, but both his time as a caravan guard and the care his fellows had shown him had Sendal willing to stick out his neck in their defense.

"Stand down and leave, lest you and your two friends find themselves worse for it," he commanded with an amount of confidence that did not overly befit the situation. Regardless, his spear would give him the first strike should the orc's aggression continue.

Sendal's got a 40' move speed and is already out and about, so I figure a move between the two is comparable to the other suggestions (a move action). He has reach, but no time to ready an action to strike (presumably).

Ceralune
2017-01-28, 10:57 PM
Something clicks in Celica's mind as she registers the second chirp, and she quickly stands up from the carriage, yelling at the orc. "Hold it! You're going to try and rob us? You and what army?" Her eyes narrow as she points at the watchtower. "You and your TWO buddies in there? Against ALL of us? What chance do you think you have?"

Intimidate: [roll0]
Initiative if needed: [roll1]

HappyMerecat
2017-01-29, 11:22 AM
Andru

Andru pulls out his lucky coin and flips it in the air.

Heads(1) or Tails(2) [roll0]

Heads he will attempt to sneak out of the wagon and under it. Stealth [roll1]

Tails he will pop out the front and bluff the bandit that they are just the first wagon of a large caravan. Bluff[roll2]

ThreadNecro5
2017-02-03, 04:40 PM
The Prior Nights Gambling:
part of the night is spent playing a few different card games from Varisia.
It takes a little longer than usual for Guthurr to figure out the strategy for the games but once he picks it up it sticks, and the beginner's luck is with him tonight.

Ultimately it works out close but towards the end of the event you manage to make a small lead which works out to have made you one silver.

Silver Gain: [roll0]
Silver Loss: [roll1]
Net result:
Gain one silver.

The Attempted Robbery:
The orc looks around from Sendal to Celica and back again. Now on the defence in the conversation he is ensuring the man with the spear is in sight and making it risky to resort to bloodshed just.

"So... you saw through that." he says slowly and with a note of worry. It is at this point Andru makes his addition to the discussion. "And there are more on the way. And-" A startled look crosses his face "Did you say two"?...

At about this same instant a crossbow-wielding woman, having moved to stand in the doorway, flings herself aside. Those native to the current plane would likely notice she is ethnically Slomori.

The snarling, roaring thing she dodged however is a sight more uncommon however. About a head taller than a human, the basis of it's appearance can be compared to a mangy bear made to stand upright with a pronounced hunchback, and then had it's face punched in by an ogre until it stayed flat. The creature is clothed in leather armour that can be seen clearly from its orange-tan skin. The snaglge-toothed berserker is armed with a simple club that might just be a barkless tree branch studded with nails and metal fragments. It sprints towards you all ever screaming.

The first bandit turns backwords for a second before shrugging at Sendall. "Well, this is your problem now".

mystery creature's Overrun on the second bandit:
[roll2]

Should the second bandit fall prone damage is taken from the stone stairs:
Damage: [roll3]

Map Movements:
Bandit B is now in I19

Mystery creature, renamed to Creature (or 'Cre' for short) is now in M23

ThreadNecro5
2017-02-03, 06:10 PM
Human Bandit:
The human Bandit, having recovered from dodging the creature only stares for a moment before taking the opportunity to run up the stairs to do something inside the tower.

Creature:
The screaming creature decides to pick a fight with the first stranger it sees, in this case Sendal. It charges at him, still shrieking only for the brute to be kicked in the head by one of the horses. Finally shut up, it brings the club down on the area around Sendal's collar bone, scoring a solid hit.

Sendal can see the creature's eyes staring dissatisfied at the site of injury.

Bandit B uses a full round action to run up the stairs to the floor above. She will be up there for another two rounds.

The creature is charging Sendal. The horses are getting attacks of Opportunity, As does Sendal:

horse 1
Hit?: [roll0]
Damage:[roll2]

horse 2
Hit?: [roll3]
Crit?: [roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

Creatures Charge:
Hit?: [roll6]
Crit?: [roll7]

Total Damage:

Orc Bandit: 0
Human Bandit: 0
Creature: 5

Amanil
2017-02-03, 07:19 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Sendal is obviously more than surprised by the... thing... that emerges, and he barely has time to even turn his spear towards it after it came barreling forwards. The club crunching down elicits an audible cry from him.

Ceralune
2017-02-03, 11:02 PM
The look on the orc's face as he processes the fact that there are not the number of people he expected in the tower is almost amusing. Comical, even. Celica would have certainly enjoyed a laugh at his expense had the extra creature not been hostile towards their group as well, striking at one of them.

But, such is the situation. Celica merely grumbles to herself and fires at the new interloper with her crossbow.

Crossbow: [roll0]
Crit? [roll1]
Crit Damage: [roll3]