PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Martial Rogue levels + Fighter levels, Warblade Shenanigans

Shortstuff
2016-09-07, 08:32 PM
Scenario 1: Let's say I have 2 Martial Rogue levels and 2 Fighter levels. Does that mean I get 4 bonus feats or 3? (Unearthed Arcana's Rogue variant gets feats as a fighter does.)

Scenario 2: Let's say I have Hand Crossbow Focus (counts as Weapon Focus for Hand Crossbows, reload as free action) and a single Warblade level. Can I shift that to non-Crossbow weapons to get free reloads, since it doesn't say I get Rapid Reload but rather that I can reload the designated weapon (Hand Crossbows) as a free action? Could I, say, reload a ballista as a free action with this? Or any ranged weapon that normally requires move actions or standard actions to reload?

Scenario 3: Similar situation, but Crossbow Sniper. I'm assuming that Crossbow Sniper, since it doesn't have a designated weapon but rather says "using a crossbow for which you have the Weapon Focus feat," can't be used to bolster a non-crossbow ranged weapon?

Scenario 4: Let's pretend I have Hand Crossbow Focus again. Hand Crossbows are piercing weapons. So, normally, I'd be taking Ranged Weapon Mastery (piercing) if I met the prerequisites (Weapon Spec and enough BAB). But let's say I've meditated before I level up, and I used my Warblade skills to apply Hand Crossbow Focus to a bludgeoning weapon instead (like a Bolas). Can I take Ranged Weapon Mastery (Bludgeoning)?

OldTrees1
2016-09-08, 09:03 AM
1) 4 bonus feats in addition to the normal ones from leveling. Martial Rogue gives feats at 1st & every even class level just the same as Fighter. So
Martial Rogue 1 (feat)
Fighter 1 (feat)
Fighter 2 (feat)
Martial Rogue 2 (feat)

2) No. Warblade only affects the Weapon Focus line. But ask your DM if they would allow it because they might be willing to buff the ability with a houserule.

3 & 4) See 2

Shortstuff
2016-09-08, 09:47 AM
#2 surprises me. The way the Weapon Aptitude ability reads, it sounds like it affects anything that changes a singular weapon.

You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training. Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You must have the newly designated weapon available during your practice session to make this change. For example, if you wish to change the designated weapon for your Weapon Focus feat from greatsword to longsword, you must have a longsword available to practice with during your practice session.

Is there errata somewhere that limits this ability? IIRC, it's shenanigans like this which allow you to use Lightning Mace with non-maces, right?

Also, if you can't use Warblade, what happens if you use the Aptitude weapon special ability instead in these given situations?

Big Fau
2016-09-08, 09:58 AM
#2 surprises me. The way the Weapon Aptitude ability reads, it sounds like it affects anything that changes a singular weapon.

Is there errata somewhere that limits this ability? IIRC, it's shenanigans like this which allow you to use Lightning Mace with non-maces, right?

Also, if you can't use Warblade, what happens if you use the Aptitude weapon special ability instead in these given situations?

You're thinking of the Aptitude quality, not the feature. The Warblade feature lets you trade out feats that allow you to select a weapon, but Hand Crossbow Focus doesn't let you choose at all.

rrwoods
2016-09-08, 02:24 PM
To be fair the two are very similar. The Warblade feature mentions "designating a new weapon" -- does that imply you had to designate one to start with? It never explicitly says so.

Big Fau
2016-09-08, 04:23 PM
To be fair the two are very similar. The Warblade feature mentions "designating a new weapon" -- does that imply you had to designate one to start with? It never explicitly says so.

Yes; if you didn't have a choice in what weapon(s) the feat affected it doesn't count as designating a weapon. That's just basic logic.

rrwoods
2016-09-08, 04:30 PM
Yes; if you didn't have a choice in what weapon(s) the feat affected it doesn't count as designating a weapon. That's just basic logic.
I agree with: "If you didn't have a choice in what weapon(s) the feat affected, you didn't designate a weapon when you selected the feat."

My question is: Does "designated" in "change the designated weapon" mean "designated by you"? It could mean "designated by the text of the feat". The word "designate" doesn't imply that a player made any decisions.

Shortstuff
2016-09-08, 09:38 PM
I agree with: "If you didn't have a choice in what weapon(s) the feat affected, you didn't designate a weapon when you selected the feat."

My question is: Does "designated" in "change the designated weapon" mean "designated by you"? It could mean "designated by the text of the feat". The word "designate" doesn't imply that a player made any decisions.

That's kind of where my mind was going when I was looking at the ability. Namely: yes, there's a designation of a weapon (Hand Crossbow). It just isn't designated by you, but by the feat already. You using Warblade changes the designation.

See, since it doesn't say designated by you specifically, I could see this being interpreted, by RAW, as allowing you to pull the same shenanigans you pull with the Aptitude quality. Notably, the Aptitude weapon quality comes from the same book as the Warblade (Tome of Battle), but meant to do basically the same thing - and the feats listed for Aptitude are things like Weapon Focus and the like, not Lightning Mace (which it's used for). RAI, both were probably never meant for use with things like Hand Crossbow Focus or Lightning Mace, but I think by RAW both can be.

Again, just because something is designated doesn't mean you designated it.

Shortstuff
2016-09-08, 09:41 PM
Oh, another question:

Let's say I'm a rogue. I have proficiency in Hand Crossbows by default. These are Exotic Weapons. Does that mean I have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Hand Crossbow? Or do I just have a weird sort of "rogue proficiency?"

Or let's say I'm a Targetteer Fighter (Dragon Magazine material). Targetteer Fighters gain proficiency with two exotic weapons of their choice. Does that count as having Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whatever?

OldTrees1
2016-09-08, 10:46 PM
Oh, another question:

Let's say I'm a rogue. I have proficiency in Hand Crossbows by default. These are Exotic Weapons. Does that mean I have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Hand Crossbow? Or do I just have a weird sort of "rogue proficiency?"

Or let's say I'm a Targetteer Fighter (Dragon Magazine material). Targetteer Fighters gain proficiency with two exotic weapons of their choice. Does that count as having Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Whatever?

Neither of those are bonus feats so no. However ask your DM, they may houserule instead.

Shortstuff
2016-09-08, 11:24 PM
Neither of those are bonus feats so no. However ask your DM, they may houserule instead.

Good to know, thanks!