PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Help with an archer build

TheBirba
2016-09-07, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I started playing the following char from level 1 in Curse of Strahd and I just reached level 3, but I'd like some advice before planning its future, considering that I levelled up right at the end of last session.

So the character is this: Variant Human, point buy 8 Str, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha. Urchin background (which makes me the party rogue) and Sharpshooter feat.

I want a ranged, stealthy sniper which can bring some battlefield control and I'm 99% sold on Battlemaster. I would go with the following manoeuvres
- Menacing Attack (although I'm not sure how effective it will be in CoS, if not Goading Attack).
- Trip Attack
- Precise strike (undecided with Parry and Elusive Footwork, since my AC is 15).

My plan was to reach level 6 asap for Dex 20 and then.. no idea.

I mean, what I was considering is:
a) Rogue 3 for Assassin, then Fighter 11.
b) Rogue 3+ for Arcane Trickster for more utility.
c) ??? (Replace with suggestions)

So yeah, I hope anyone could help on this and the manoeuvre selection for CoS specifically. 😊

Naanomi
2016-09-07, 09:27 PM
Got a plan on weapon? Hand crossbows and Battlemaster 20 with stealth from background is a great build with hand crossbow focused tactics. If longbow is more your thing, some split of fighter/rogue may be more your style.

Of course, ranger and bard are both very viable ranged fighters as well

Klorox
2016-09-07, 09:29 PM
If you really want to maximize DPR, grab crossbow master and use a hand crossbow.

Battlemaster is your best bet, but an eldritch knight is a good choice as well.

If you go with the battlemaster, rogue is a good multiclass, but I'd stick with the fighter until level 11. If you go with the eldritch knight, I'd stay single classed.

Naanomi
2016-09-07, 09:35 PM
Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Rogue +18 with Stalker and Sharpshooter makes a great Longbow Sniper looking for the one-shot scouting kills

TheBirba
2016-09-07, 09:51 PM
I know crossbows are slightly better but I think I'll stick with the Longbow. If you could use the shield with Hand Crossbow I would but this is more of a flavour choice.

Rogue 1/Fighter 1/Rogue +18 with Stalker and Sharpshooter makes a great Longbow Sniper looking for the one-shot scouting kills

I take it you mean Skulker? I was considering that feat too. But I have already taken 3 levels in Warrior and I'm not going Rogue before level 6 anyway. 😊

djreynolds
2016-09-08, 02:58 AM
CoS is 10 levels, and you must acquire silver arrows if possible or have a friendly wizard cast magic weapon on you.

Otherwise you will meet enemies with lots of resistances.

Most magic weapons are melee, so do not forget you may have to go hand-to-hand combat.

Wisdom saves are important, maybe at 6th level snag resilient wisdom.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-08, 04:10 AM
Id stay away from rogue for this character since you'll get at most 2d6 sneak attack if you go fighter 6/rogue x. Many parties don't even see level 10 in CoS. Maybe consider ranger for your last two or three levels. Hunters mark gives you those 2d6 if you hit with both your attacks and the third level hunter abilities are decent damage boost as well.

Or going again off that wisdom a single level in cleric war domain adds two bonus action attacks, and by level 3 in it you get the previously mentioned important Magic Weapon to keep you penetrating resistances.

Citan
2016-09-08, 04:36 AM
Hey everyone,

I started playing the following char from level 1 in Curse of Strahd and I just reached level 3, but I'd like some advice before planning its future, considering that I levelled up right at the end of last session.

So the character is this: Variant Human, point buy 8 Str, 16 Dex, 16 Con, 10 Int, 14 Wis, 8 Cha. Urchin background (which makes me the party rogue) and Sharpshooter feat.

I want a ranged, stealthy sniper which can bring some battlefield control and I'm 99% sold on Battlemaster. I would go with the following manoeuvres
- Menacing Attack (although I'm not sure how effective it will be in CoS, if not Goading Attack).
- Trip Attack
- Precise strike (undecided with Parry and Elusive Footwork, since my AC is 15).

My plan was to reach level 6 asap for Dex 20 and then.. no idea.

I mean, what I was considering is:
a) Rogue 3 for Assassin, then Fighter 11.
b) Rogue 3+ for Arcane Trickster for more utility.
c) ??? (Replace with suggestions)

So yeah, I hope anyone could help on this and the manoeuvre selection for CoS specifically. 😊
Hi!
Well, considering your stats, I'd say the best choices are...
a) Thief + Battlemaster: if you are set on Battlemaster, this is the best bet. Thief will help with mobility and you can use some tools with a bonus action. Not close to your concept though.
b) Arcane Tricskter + Eldricht Knight: much better to pick EK if you go AT imo because by combining the two you will get a decent spellcasting level.

c1) Hunter Ranger 5.
My favored suggestion: you get Archery, Extra Attack, Horde Breaker (so 2 or 3 attacks per round), Hunter's Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Fog Cloud, Spike Growth and Pass Without Trace.
Extra ranged damage? check: better chance to land SA (+2 to hit, more attacks) and better damage (+1d8 per attack).
Stealthy? check: Pass Without Trace.
Control? check: Ensnaring Strike (works on ranged), Fog Cloud (no WIS reliant), Spike Growth (no WIS reliant).

c2): Land Druid 5.
Coast brings Mirror Image (non-concentration defense) and Misty Step (insta-move).
Grassland brings Invisibility and Haste (they speak for themselves).
Desert brings Blur (concentration defense) and Silence (great for sneakers).
All bring Wild Shape (at least utility, at best powerfulness, depending on how crafty you are) and a bunch of great spells.
Extra stealth? check: Wild Shape + Pass WIthout Trace.
Extra control? Entangle, Faerie Fire, Fog Cloud, Moon Beam, Spike Growth, Heat Metal, Conjure Animals, Plant Growth.
Extra damage? all the above except Fog Cloud, plus Sleet Storm and Call Lightning.
And these spell slots can be used with your Arcane Trickster's Shield/Magic Missile/whatever.
This is the best choice only if you are fond of spells or get nifty ideas on how to use Wild Shape.
Otherwise, Ranger is overall more suited to your concept.

c3) War Cleric
Essentially to get Divine Favor and Magic Weapon. Although Cleric spelllist is great overall, it's more focused on buffs and heal, not what you want, and the +10 attack is only 1/short rest, so I would avoid it unless you really have no other way to get a magic weapon.

TheBirba
2016-09-08, 06:06 AM
CoS is 10 levels...

Id stay away from rogue for this character since you'll get at most 2d6 sneak attack if you go fighter 6/rogue x. Many parties don't even see level 10 in CoS.

I know it's just 10 levels, but I can easily use the character on other campaigns then.

Do you guys know if there are many enemies who are immune to fear?

Hi!
c1) Hunter Ranger 5.

c2): Land Druid 5.

c3) War Cleric

All solid suggestions! I was looking at cleric but I didn't consider Druid, it's worth having a look.

Mandragola
2016-09-08, 06:35 AM
Your build looks pretty good so far.

If multiclassing then assassin 3, fighter 11 and maybe some kind of druid or cleric levels seem good to me. I think you're right to prioritise fighter 6.

Initially I’d have suggested war priest, and that’s certainly a good option. Druid does offer some great things too though. Either would give dark vision at lvl 3, and druid would give you some fun things like spider climb – or just turning into something that could climb. It could be useful to be able to get yourself up on top of things, then rain arrows on people. Pass without trace is excellent for infiltration, and there’s also the option of turning into a creature with darkvision.

Citan
2016-09-08, 08:05 AM
I know it's just 10 levels, but I can easily use the character on other campaigns then.

All solid suggestions! I was looking at cleric but I didn't consider Druid, it's worth having a look.
Hmmm. Ok, I limited myself considering how others told that this campaign you are playing was usually capped at 10. Didn't understand you wanted to keep this character through as far as possible.

This changes quite a few things, because some multiclass combinations actually work better at lower levels than at higher (aka some don't have much more to offer at higher levels, at least considering your current goals).
I'll have to take another go at suggesting builds (at least, if you are still looking for advice ;)), although your stat distribution does streamline the array of options...

PeteNutButter
2016-09-08, 08:30 AM

Mind affecting things generally don't work on unintelligent undead.

If you genuinely expect to play the character past level 10 just stay fighter till at least 11. 3 attacks is the bees knees.

SillyPopeNachos
2016-09-08, 06:03 PM
Go fighter the whole way. They get something good pretty much every level.

8wGremlin
2016-09-08, 06:26 PM
I'm playing a vhuman Battlemaster hand crossbow build.
it's excellent fun.

I took a slightly different aspect to full optimisation, taking ritual caster (Wizard) as my 4th level feat (and not Sharpshooter, I'll take that at 6th level fighter) - this has given me some great rituals - I have an Owl familiar that helps with the scouting, and occasionally combat, but seeing in the dark is useful.

I took background Acolyte and worship Tempus!

So far I'm enjoying the character, it's great to play. I'll be taking fighter to 6th to get the extra feat and then may switch to something else. Rogue or Ranger, not sure.

(I don't normally play fighter types, not since 2nd edition)

djreynolds
2016-09-09, 01:34 AM

War cleric has divine favor and access to magic weapon spell. A few levels of this will add you a lot. And guidance is a nice cantrip. And protection from evil so cannot be charmed.

tieren
2016-09-09, 09:51 AM
My recommendation would be fighter 7/ranger 3/rogue 10.

Specifically I would go EK/hunter/AT, but even if you are set on battlemaster I would still recommend going to 7 for the two extra maneuvers and the extra superiority die.

With the magic route though, war magic at EK 7 and horde breaker at ranger 3 can work together to give you a cantrip (scaling with character level not class level) and 2 arrow attacks every turn (that horde breaker condition is met which is frequent) with sneak attack and hunters mark damage on top.

The ranger levels also give you another fighting style (assuming you already have archery style) you could pick up defensive style for +1 to ac.

For the maneuvers, be careful of trip attack, it can help your allies get advantage on a prone target, but it will give you disadvantage on ranged attacks.

wilhelmdubdub
2016-09-09, 10:59 PM
If you want some ideas for spells that are good for the campaign try to get either protection from evil and good or anything with radiant damage to limit vampire spawn regeneration and I think creatures like ghasts and other ghosts are weak to radiant. When I played I have seen Strahd target dex, con, and wisdom saves so resilient is a good feat if you want to stay in fighter for the ASI's.