PDA

View Full Version : I need a god for a religious executioner. Help?

TheFurith
2016-09-07, 10:02 PM
I've looked specifically for a god of execution and have not found one. There's ones for death, or justice, and related things. But not specifically execution. Of all the random gods I'm finding it a bit hard to believe this is not a thing.

Any help? Any source is fine, 3rd party, whatever. I just can't seem to find it. Or if no such thing exists what do you think a religious professional executioner would worship?

One Step Two
2016-09-07, 10:06 PM
Bhaal is the God of Murder, specifically he also covers Ritual Death, which is what an execution is essentially.

Deophaun
2016-09-07, 10:06 PM
Or if no such thing exists what do you think a religious professional executioner would worship?
St. Cuthbert.

Erit
2016-09-07, 10:42 PM
St. Cuthbert.

Seconded. St. Cuthbert of the Cudgel is all about beating the dissident until they fall in line, and his clerics frequently bludgeon people into worshiping him. Sometimes it's just metaphorically.

tomandtish
2016-09-07, 10:51 PM
We'd probably want a little more information about the character. Why is he an executioner? What are his/her goals/motivations? There are a lot of god from several alignments you could go with depending on those answers.

You could make an argument for Tyr (God of Law and Justice) for even a good aligned executioner. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

Torm (either in his duty aspect, or after he takes over Tyr's domains after the spellplague).

Someone already mentioned Bhaal. An excellent choice for someone who enjoys killing and loves the fact that they get to do it "legally".

Kelemvor as God of Death and Judge of the Damned.

Bottom line, there's not really an execution portfolio as such. Depending on motivation, you're looking for a God with either a law domain or a death domain. Determine the motivations of your executioner (why they do this) and then find a god that matches (or comes closest).

Name1
2016-09-07, 11:41 PM
Hextor could be a valid choice, as the church of Hextor is known to execute people after they have gotten their trial and have been found guilty.

Geddy2112
2016-09-07, 11:48 PM
Execution(in this case a synonym for capital punishment), by definition, is a lawful action and most people who do it as a job are going to be lawful as well. Because it is the taking of life, it generally favors evil alignments but it is not out of scope for Lawful Good to support execution. LG execution happens when the punishment fits the crime, is is done as humanely as possible, promotes the greater good, etc. Ned Stark from Game of Thrones is a pretty good example of lawful good, and one of his first scenes in the show is him executing a criminal.

So in a nutshell, any Lawful deity will probably be okay with it, although the details of when, why, etc etc vary greatly across the G-E spectrum and the individual deity's motivations.

Pathfinder has two minor deities that deal with execution, an LG emperyal lord of executions (http://archivesofnethys.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Damerrich) and a demon lord of botched executions (http://archivesofnethys.com/DeityDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Nightripper).

VoxRationis
2016-09-07, 11:53 PM
You could worship Ammit the Devourer, from Egyptian mythology. A creature which devours the hearts of the dead, but only when they have been found unworthy when weighed on the scales of Anubis? Sounds pretty much like an executioner of the underworld to me. Your character could be emulating it, but in the land of the living.