PDA

View Full Version : PBS inspired horror campaigns

Bhu
2016-09-08, 12:47 AM
So how many of y'all watch PBS cooking shows? Specifically Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen. They're hosted by a dapper old bowtied fellow from vermont named Christopher Kimball. Seems like a nice, laid back sort of guy.

But then I read his letters. See everytime Cook's Illustrated comes out he pens a folksy letter to go with it, and a website called the Toast has archived them. They start slightly ominous and descend quickly into creepy pasta as time goes on. Seriously, you could run a vermont based horror campaign from these. A few brief samples:

'You ever wonder what’s watching you from underneath the dirt while you’re plowing a field? Something is. Something surely is. Nothing blinks in the dirt.

It’s my understanding that trees are just the gnarled hands of witches that have been buried face-up in the earth. But it’s the ones that have been buried face-down that you have to look out for.'

'Sure, searing a piece of meat seals in the juices. But it seals in a lot of other things, too. Things you wouldn’t want to get out, things you wouldn’t want to see the light of day, if you came to know them.

Ask yourself in the coming New Year if you’re really scrambling your eggs slowly enough. Sometimes I wonder. Sometimes I wonder if you are. Turn that flame down. This isn’t a race.

You can fit a lot more than a Dutchman in a Dutch oven. No guarantee you can keep him in there, of course.'

'Folks used to have common sense. They didn’t plant their potatoes too close together, lest they develop strange habits not native to root vegetables, and learn to speak to one another when their stalks swayed in the night winds. They never burned an old rabbit dog before the daffodils came in. They parked their cars facing toward home when they went in the Old Forest, so they didn’t offend anything that still moved in there when human eyes weren’t looking. They never killed a cow twice and they never made hay without spilling blood on the threshold, and they never spilled blood on the threshold without nailing the house-spirits into the wall behind the chimney. They kept their shoes in the walls and their virgin bones buried in the foundations. They never opened a bottle unless they were willing to make a deal with the witch who lived inside. They kept their unguents separate from their elixirs separate from their tonics separate from their balsam physics. It was always spring, then. Always spring after spring after spring after spring, and the people stayed young and happy and their throats never sank into their breasts and their smiles were painted onto their lips and never came off, never never never.

It’s not like that now.

Do you know what comes after spring? Do you know what comes after spring? Do you know what comes after spring?

I don’t. Nobody does. Something different’s coming after spring this year, something that isn’t named summer, something that casts a long shadow and laughs without making a sound.'

'There are ways to hurt a man so that he wishes he didn’t know his own body, and there are ways to hurt a man so that he can’t recognize his own mind, and you have to know both of them if you want to make really fluffy croissants.'

'What can you do with an old assistant-wife after she’s finished? Well, friends, here in Vermont you can trade her to the first stranger you meet at a crossroads for a sack of molasses sugar and a witch-glass. Or you can wall her alive in the orchard; the next year’s crop of apples will be small and bitter, but every year thereafter, they’ll be crisp and fresh and red and white as you could possibly please. She also makes an excellent substitute for buttermilk, if you haven’t any to hand.

Do you know why they call them long johns? I do. I do. But I won’t tell, not for any price. I can’t tell. Only two men under the moon know the promise I made thirteen steps from the graveyard all those years ago to learn it, and neither of us are telling.'

Kid Jake
2016-09-08, 12:58 AM
'There are ways to hurt a man so that he wishes he didn’t know his own body, and there are ways to hurt a man so that he can’t recognize his own mind, and you have to know both of them if you want to make really fluffy croissants.'

How...how does that even help with baking?

Murk
2016-09-08, 02:38 AM
Cooking horror sounds awesome. There's plenty of fairy tales with evil witches burning children and stuff, so you've got your historical basis.

I like the feel of the quotes: how, even though it sounds like horror, these are all just very normal and very daily things. In these areas (Vermont?) nobody blinks an eye if you lock a woman in your wall because you want good apples. That's just how we do it around here.

Fri
2016-09-08, 05:32 AM

Let me ask you a question.

Have you ever baked a really fluffy croisant?

That's your answer

Also, not specifically about baking, but have you ever heard of Welcome to the Nightvale? It's basically this, only more general small-town americana.

tomandtish
2016-09-08, 09:36 AM

Human fat is even better than lard

..... Or so I've heard.... :smallbiggrin:

Giggling Ghast
2016-09-08, 09:51 AM
Jesus. I feel like I'm reading H.P. Lovecraft's guide to cooking.

Anyways, this is semi-related:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tXKvqXE_9Bo

JoshL
2016-09-08, 10:11 AM
Do you know what comes after spring? Do you know what comes after spring? Do you know what comes after spring?

I don’t. Nobody does. Something different’s coming after spring this year, something that isn’t named summer, something that casts a long shadow and laughs without making a sound.'

This is beautiful and ominous! I love it!

Also seconding Welcome to Night Vale. I'm also reminded of Scarfolk, sort of similar through a 1970s UK lens. For more information please reread: http://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

Bhu
2016-09-08, 04:02 PM
http://the-toast.net/series/chris-kimball/ forgot the linky to the archive :smallredface:

JeenLeen
2016-09-08, 04:20 PM
On Cracked.com, there's a couple articles that start off as cooking recipes and then descend into madness and/or hilarity. My work prohibits that website, so I can't search for one as an example, but wanted to share the reference.

I like such humor, where one interjects horror as an aside amidst the normal cooking.

JoshL
2016-09-08, 06:42 PM
Oh, humor website. That makes a bit more sense, though sort of disappointing (and as of 7/1, the site is no longer updating, it appears). I still love the "what comes after spring" bit and am working on writing something based on that right now!

Giggling Ghast
2016-09-08, 09:29 PM
"Funniest thing happened to me today. I saw myself hanging from the chestnut tree in the middle of town, only I could swear I'm not dead. I waved at myself, and I waved back, which is hard to do with a broken neck."

wobner
2016-09-09, 03:15 AM
*snip*
Seriously, you could run a vermont based horror campaign from these.
*snip*

please run this campaign, and post the journal.
please!

Razade
2016-09-09, 03:18 AM
I suggest you watch Don't Huge Me, I'm Scared. That'd be a good place to start.

wobner
2016-09-09, 04:59 AM
I suggest you watch Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared. That'd be a good place to start.

Words fail me.

what did you just make me watch? Its like David Lynch directed the muppets, possibly on acid. lots and lots of acid. I can see why you didn't post the youtube channel link. I am sure it violates some rule of the forum, or it should.

Yes, it definitely should.

Definitely.

I'm suddenly picturing this campaign journal as "The King in Yellow". Everyone who reads it goes insane.

Bhu
2016-09-09, 09:32 PM
please run this campaign, and post the journal.
please!

I'd love to, but rl is interfering. If I cant get my disability in the next 3-4 months or find a job I'll prolly be homeless.

Razade
2016-09-10, 04:29 AM
Words fail me.

what did you just make me watch? Its like David Lynch directed the muppets, possibly on acid. lots and lots of acid. I can see why you didn't post the youtube channel link. I am sure it violates some rule of the forum, or it should.

Yes, it definitely should.

Definitely.

I'm suddenly picturing this campaign journal as "The King in Yellow". Everyone who reads it goes insane.

I didn't make you watch anything. Are you sure you watched anything at all?

wobner
2016-09-10, 09:07 AM
I didn't make you watch anything. Are you sure you watched anything at all?

Oh that's just evil.

If that deranged nightmare of yarn and stuffed felt was spawned from some deep dark recess inside of me, I have bigger problems than I ever imagined. No it was real, it had to be. And I couldn't force myself to stop watching, some hypnotic, demented, Lovecraftian Teletubies. I sat through all the episodes. I couldn't stop.

I just couldn't

I'd love to, but rl is interfering. If I cant get my disability in the next 3-4 months or find a job I'll prolly be homeless.

For what its worth, I am truly sorry to hear that and I do hope things improve for you soon. I'd definitely love to see what you come up with when things settle down for you though, if you still have the desire to run such a campaign.

Thrudd
2016-09-10, 11:53 AM
"Each issue of Cook’s Illustrated begins with a folksy letter with news from down on the old Vermont farm by founder and editor-in-chief Chris Kimball. These charming, old-timey updates remind us all of a slower, simpler way of life, where neighbors stop to swap plowing tips out by the trading post and run when they see Old Henry coming. Who’s Old Henry? Why, what a question, stranger. Old Henry knows who you are. That much is certain. Old Henry knows who you are just fine."

Razade
2016-09-10, 02:16 PM
Oh that's just evil.

If that deranged nightmare of yarn and stuffed felt was spawned from some deep dark recess inside of me, I have bigger problems than I ever imagined. No it was real, it had to be. And I couldn't force myself to stop watching, some hypnotic, demented, Lovecraftian Teletubies. I sat through all the episodes. I couldn't stop.

I just couldn't

Now you're thinking creatively.

Blackhawk748
2016-09-10, 04:11 PM
Jesus. I feel like I'm reading H.P. Lovecraft's guide to cooking.

Well we are in the right section of America :smalltongue:

mikeejimbo
2016-09-10, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure what I just read but I'd play in that campaign.

Telonius
2016-09-13, 12:48 PM
A city overrun by monsters. An ancient evil lurking in the midden piles. An all-seeing vampire stalking the citizens. Alien watchers spying on them and gathering information about our daily lives. And the children... every day they arrive, no one sees them leave, others seem to take their place the next day. All under the guise of a perfect community. Even the weather's always sunny. You don't want to know what's keeping the clouds away. Oh, I can tell you how to get there all right...

Anti-Eagle
2016-09-13, 01:31 PM
After reading that, why do I feel like a colour meteor landed in Vermont?

Thrudd
2016-09-13, 02:25 PM
Yes, as a native New Englander I can say that this is exactly what it is like. I grew up in Western Mass in the woods and round hills that Lovecraft describes in "The Dunwich Horror", and went to Vermont on the reg.

The woods are a place of grasping branches, always watching with unseen eyes, and devilish cries that echo at night. Fairy lights appear between the branches to lead you toward clearing oases in the dense foliage which never actually materialize, leading you deeper and deeper in when you're trying to find your way out. Mountain laurel climbs high all around, and cyclopean stones appear out of nowhere with strangely geometric cracks and crevices, caked in lichen and moss. You can climb to the top of the stones to get a view of the landscape, thinking you've finally found respite from the choking, clawing darkness. You must be near the forest's edge, mustn't you? You've been walking back the way you came in for some time now...yet the view from the stone ring shows nothing but trees and laurel in every direction, with uncaring deciduous eyes. When dusk starts creeping and the fireflies start blinking between the leaves, a chorus of high pitched howls floats in, seemingly from every direction and panic sets in as hope flees with the day's light. Dread descends when the uncaring aura suddenly turns malevolent and every branch, bole and root seems to close in to hold you for the creeping laughing thing which you know must be approaching, slithering out of the crevices in those stony hills.

Fri
2016-09-13, 10:14 PM
Slightly related, here's a yelp review of Paris Catacomb written by a predictive text generator that's fed other yelp review about paris catacomb.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/149565305759/yelp-review-of-the-paris-catacombs-written-using-a

Bhu
2016-09-21, 01:01 AM
Slightly related, here's a yelp review of Paris Catacomb written by a predictive text generator that's fed other yelp review about paris catacomb.

http://objectdreams.tumblr.com/post/149565305759/yelp-review-of-the-paris-catacombs-written-using-a

That test generator needs to write short fiction!