PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Spells [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2016-09-08, 04:03 AM
I'm going to keep adding to this (http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/r1meKjCi), but here's what I've got so far.

khadgar567
2016-09-08, 04:50 AM
spirit ward = patronus from harry potter

DracoKnight
2016-09-08, 12:44 PM
spirit ward = patronus from harry potter

Oh, most definitely. But I changed its name to avoid any copyright infringement if I ever make this part of a product on the DMsGuild.

DracoKnight
2016-09-13, 03:09 PM
Based on the lack of response, I'm assuming they're fine??

RakiReborn
2016-09-13, 04:17 PM
I like the cantrip, but afraid it might too powerful. The extra damage scales a lot higher than its full-caster counterparts. Vicious mockery does 1d4(2.5)-4d4(10), and frostbite does 1d6(3.5)-4d6(14), with an extra restriction (weapon attacks only). Though this one requires str/dex, it can be a tad better, but at 17th it reasonably does 1d8+5+3d8(23). Making the extra damage 1d6 decreases it by 3 on average. It still does more damage than its counterparts, with a good type, but that seems more reasonable. And perhaps add 'before the end of its next turn' to the disadv to keep it in line with its counterparts.

Haarkla
2016-09-16, 06:44 PM
Sun-Flash Blade is overpowered. Giving your opponent disadvantage on their next attack roll (+ weapon damage) is too powerful for a cantrip.

GandalfTheWhite
2016-09-16, 07:41 PM
I like the cantrip, but afraid it might too powerful. The extra damage scales a lot higher than its full-caster counterparts. Vicious mockery does 1d4(2.5)-4d4(10), and frostbite does 1d6(3.5)-4d6(14), with an extra restriction (weapon attacks only). Though this one requires str/dex, it can be a tad better, but at 17th it reasonably does 1d8+5+3d8(23). Making the extra damage 1d6 decreases it by 3 on average. It still does more damage than its counterparts, with a good type, but that seems more reasonable. And perhaps add 'before the end of its next turn' to the disadv to keep it in line with its counterparts.

Sun-Flash Blade is overpowered. Giving your opponent disadvantage on their next attack roll (+ weapon damage) is too powerful for a cantrip.

I'd like to point out about sun-flash blade, while it possesses larger damage dice than vicious mockery or frostbite, you HAVE to be in melee. Consider: most mages have sh!tty hit points. So unless you're playing an EK, at which point you have better options, this is fine. Remember that both published melee cantrips will eventually deal 8d8 damage.

DracoKnight
2016-09-21, 03:31 PM

Hmmmmm...it might be on the stronger side, but is it actually OP? You have to be in melee to even use it, whereas both frostbite and vicious mockery are ranged.

Revlid
2016-09-21, 06:51 PM
Hmmmmm...it might be on the stronger side, but is it actually OP? You have to be in melee to even use it, whereas both frostbite and vicious mockery are ranged.
Note that Shocking Grasp also uses d8s, and also requires you to be in melee range to touch the enemy, but only prevents them from taking reactions.

DracoKnight
2016-09-21, 08:47 PM
Note that Shocking Grasp also uses d8s, and also requires you to be in melee range to touch the enemy, but only prevents them from taking reactions.

So...giving them disadvantage on their first attack roll (still a chance to damage you) is more powerful than completely removing their ability to use an Attack of Opportunity (ergo no chance to damage you) or shield?

Ugganaut
2016-09-22, 04:01 AM
Love that cantrip DK. Same damage structure as Green-flame Blade, and I don't think the disadvantage on next attack is superior to the extra damage of GFB.
Shocking Grasp is a melee attack for a ranged caster, so it fills a different roll imo. The "no reaction" is very strong for them, because they can then move away from that target without provoking. Plus they get advantage if the target is wearing metal armor.
Frostbite can be cast in melee without penalty, but it also has range which is a big advantage.

I think the cantrip is balanced perfectly, will be adding that to the Cleric's much needed combat cantrip repertoire :)

DracoKnight
2016-09-22, 01:54 PM
Love that cantrip DK. Same damage structure as Green-flame Blade, and I don't think the disadvantage on next attack is superior to the extra damage of GFB.
Shocking Grasp is a melee attack for a ranged caster, so it fills a different roll imo. The "no reaction" is very strong for them, because they can then move away from that target without provoking. Plus they get advantage if the target is wearing metal armor.
Frostbite can be cast in melee without penalty, but it also has range which is a big advantage.

I think the cantrip is balanced perfectly, will be adding that to the Cleric's much needed combat cantrip repertoire :)

I'm glad you like the cantrip :smallsmile:

I'm still in the process of playtesting it, so we'll see how it goes ^_^

Foxhound438
2016-09-23, 11:03 PM
Spirit ward taking an action to move makes me want to say do damage at the start of the turn, putting it pretty much as a side-grade to moonbeam (+ advantage on rare save, +++ stun, - area size, - damage die size, - extra effect on shapeshifter, - no effect on successful save, +/- save type).

I agree that the cantrip is objectively too strong. Melee or not, it's a much higher damage version of vicious mockery, even if you have to be in melee to get it. I'd say either adjust the rider effect or downgrade the extra damage by a die size (maybe even 2). Disadvantage to an attack is a lot more powerful than minute splash damage or hard-to-incentivise on-move damage, especially on things that have fewer attacks in the first place. Sure, the initial hit is the same as the existing weapon cantrips, but the rider is guaranteed value on a good damage type as opposed to common value on a bad damage type or rare value on a decent damage type.

Perhaps it would be better as a side grade shocking grasp, having the same rider effect. (+ use weapon damage for first damage tier, so as much as 2d6+stat for initial hit, - advantage on most armor wearing foes, +/- damage type)

Well, all that said, I probably would have treated the official SCAG cantrips in much the same way (being that they're higher damage than any PHB cantrip with extra effects), so maybe I'm just a little skittish of power creep.

Gr7mm Bobb
2016-09-23, 11:10 PM
Yeah, the cantrip might be a bit intense. If you like the damage where its at I have an idea that might work. Have the hindrance be as intense as the guidance cantrip. Instead of causing disadvantage, it just causes 1d4 to be subtracted from its first attack roll.

Ugganaut
2016-09-23, 11:49 PM
Melee or not, it's a much higher damage version of vicious mockery, even if you have to be in melee to get it. I'd say either adjust the rider effect or downgrade the extra damage by a die size (maybe even 2). Disadvantage to an attack is a lot more powerful than minute splash damage or hard-to-incentivise on-move damage, especially on things that have fewer attacks in the first place. Sure, the initial hit is the same as the existing weapon cantrips, but the rider is guaranteed value on a good damage type as opposed to common value on a bad damage type or rare value on a decent damage type.
Can you really ignore the "Melee or not"? I think being able to cast a spell in melee or 60ft away is a pretty big difference. And "minute" is not the word I'd use at level 5 or higher :) 3d8+stat maxed out, with no saving throw, and no attack roll. I do see your point with the Disadvantage from the start though.

Perhaps it would be better as a side grade shocking grasp, having the same rider effect. (+ use weapon damage for first damage tier, so as much as 2d6+stat for initial hit, - advantage on most armor wearing foes, +/- damage type)
Frostbite has the Disadvantage, so maybe 1d6 would be more appropriate if wanting to keep that.

Well, all that said, I probably would have treated the official SCAG cantrips in much the same way (being that they're higher damage than any PHB cantrip with extra effects), so maybe I'm just a little skittish of power creep.
I agree with you there, I know they want people to use the new stuff, but they tend to get heavy handed. I think if all of them were scaled down a dice, they'd still be desirable.

I have trouble comparing things like the "they can't take reactions" and "disadvantage on next attack". As a wizard, I'd want the reactions one, so I could move out of melee - advantage vs metal is a bonus. If I'm an Arcane Trickster, I'd prefer any melee cantrip(disadvantage would be the front runner) and a ranged cantrip. It seems like different characters would prefer different effects.
I'm sure I'm wrong, still getting the hang of it :)