PDA

View Full Version : Demon Summoning Blood Requirements?

Axorfett12
2016-09-08, 10:01 AM
So in UA: That Old Black Magic, it says that you can use "Blood from an intelligent humanoid slain within the past 24 hours" to draw a circle "large enough to encompass your space". I am attempting to create a Demonologist Arcane Tradition, and was considering utilizing a feature allowing the wizard to take damage and draw the circle with their own blood instead. I am curious as to how much blood would be needed to create a 5 foot diameter circle, as this will translate to an approximate amount of damage to take.

grell
2016-09-08, 11:37 AM
So in UA: That Old Black Magic, it says that you can use "Blood from an intelligent humanoid slain within the past 24 hours" to draw a circle "large enough to encompass your space". I am attempting to create a Demonologist Arcane Tradition, and was considering utilizing a feature allowing the wizard to take damage and draw the circle with their own blood instead. I am curious as to how much blood would be needed to create a 5 foot diameter circle, as this will translate to an approximate amount of damage to take.

One pint sounds reasonable. The only thing besides getting the DM on board with supporting using your own blood as a ward would be how to apply it in such a circumstance.

I mean the usual "uninterrupted circle" when demon summoning trope would seem to apply. And getting clean even coverage with your own blood dripping from you seems a bit tricky. I suppose a nice arcane device or some type of squeezable critter that you could stab yourself with then use as a brush would do the job.

This all assumes your not talking about anything beyond a relatively thin line of course, you start talking hockey lines / basketball court borders and that pints not going to cut it. :)

And now I've got this mental image of a 5ft diameter hula hoop and a hand held blood bag / ink stamp to run around it.

Axorfett12
2016-09-08, 12:41 PM
I envisioned the circle to be either a simple circle or a series of runes in a circular pattern. One could make a cut and then smear the symbols using a finger.

So a pint should be plenty. Now my question becomes mechanical.

If giving a feature at 6th level allowing a Wizard to take damage in order to draw the circle, would it be better to have a set amount of damage, say 10, or a variable amount, for example damage = wizard level?

CursedRhubarb
2016-09-08, 02:50 PM
Magic circles include more than just the big circle itself. They have writing and patterns that either work along the circle or fill in the center of the circle so it would take quite a bit of blood to draw one. Up to 5.5 liters I'd guess, depending on complexity and the number of wards.

Theoretically you could do one without any of the wards but then once you summon a demon there is nothing to keep it bound in the circle, preventing it from attacking/fleeing, or to bind it to your service.