PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4

Jibar
2007-07-08, 05:48 AM
I picked up the Wii Edition after reading great reviews.
It lives up to them. It really does.
Let me point out how bad I am at these kinds of games though:

I've run out of every kind of ammo I've got.
I've almost died walking into a toilet.
I've proven that I am one of the single worst shots in the entire history of everything.
I have been hit by every enemy wielding a pitchfork.
I shot the merchant in the face with one of my three last shotgun shells.
I got squished by the first boulder.

And I haven't even reached the lake yet.

And despite this overwhelming amount of sucking on my part, I can't help but think that everything people have said about this game is true. The over the shoulder style view really matches the more action orientated Resi, and making the enemies smarter shows just how the games have evolved.
Much of the terror in the game is now in the immersion, not the jump out horror. The Wii edition only serves to heighten this experience. Now when enemies jump out at you from the sides you really will be firing blindly, yet you'll also be able to make headshots with a handgun when you have room to breath. Connecting the quick knife attack with a shake of the WiiMote also means that if you panic, Leon's instincts take over and he attacks with whatever he has.
Little touches as well make it something brilliant. Listening to the rifle reload from the WiiMote, watching villagers going about normal lives when you're far away. Even just hearing villagers screaming in Spanish.

Also: I love kicking people. There is nothing more satisfying than shooting a villager in the face, point blank, and then booting them in the stomach.
I also really want Leon's jacket.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-08, 06:02 AM
Resi 4 really is a geat game. Even the front cover is scary.
The characters are generally decent (Ada, Luis, Ramon, Leon) and that great merchant.

The best thing about resi 4 though is the decent control system and camera angles. It took about 7 games but capcom finally realised what they needed to do.

Ranis
2007-07-08, 07:58 AM
I don't really see how the overall experience can be enhanced that much by playing the Wii version. Sure, a couple of things, but it's still the same game that earned it's place as Game of the Year.

Jibar
2007-07-08, 08:14 AM
You'd be surprised, really.
There's also the fact that you get all the bonuses from the PS2 version that didn't appear on the Gamecube, bonus trailers, and all the Wii specific benefits in gameplay.
It's as if you took Ocarina of Time, and updated it with Twilight Princess graphics, and then for the hell of it threw in a graphically redone Majora's Mask too.

Ranis
2007-07-08, 08:31 AM
You point to shoot with the Wiimote, right? That adds a level of depth that the other consoles couldn't offer, but are the graphics really that much better? Would you be less scared or have a lesser experience if the graphics were the PS2 standard?

I'd like to see the opinion of someone who has played it on PS2 and Wii.

Wojiz
2007-07-08, 08:35 AM
If you've shot the merchant, start over now, because he doesn't reappear, I'm fairly sure.

Arang
2007-07-08, 09:29 AM
There are more merchants. That one you shot won't reappear, but all the others will.

Hephaestus
2007-07-08, 09:37 AM
His test tube clones are scattered all over the Spanish countryside.

"HOW DID YOU GET ON THIS ISLAND?! What are you doing here?!"

Great game. Played on PS2. Really want to try it on the Wii... Wish I had one.

Crilley
2007-07-08, 11:47 PM
The merchant is great. The sound of his voice is sweet music to my ears.

"I've got a selection of good things on sale stranger!"

As much as I hate it, I just feel compelled to make this sign.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Tor the Fallen
2007-07-09, 12:11 AM
I played it on the gamecube. Lotsa fun.

Always found it...odd you could kill snakes you found in boxes, then sell the chicken eggs they carry around for weapons that are illegal in most countries.

I found the part where the infected commandos carry around medieval style weaponry, but drop ammo for combat shotguns, sniper rifles, and submachine hurt the verisimilitude.

kpenguin
2007-07-09, 07:15 AM
I played it on the gamecube. Lotsa fun.

Always found it...odd you could kill snakes you found in boxes, then sell the chicken eggs they carry around for weapons that are illegal in most countries.

I found the part where the infected commandos carry around medieval style weaponry, but drop ammo for combat shotguns, sniper rifles, and submachine hurt the verisimilitude.

You didn't find some strangely dressed guys selling stuff to people in the middle of a bunch of infected peasants and worse to hurt the verisimilitude either?

Hermit
2007-07-09, 07:21 AM
You didn't find some strangely dressed guys selling stuff to people in the middle of a bunch of infected peasants and worse to hurt the verisimilitude either?
Related. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc)

And yeah, RE4 was fun. I'll probably pick up a copy for the Wiii cheap second hand at some point for the new content and wiimote shenanigans.

Archonic Energy
2007-07-09, 07:33 AM
i too picked this up having ben told the PC version sucks **** on a **** with a side of ****

it's quite good, however i need the time to play it a bit more (getting access to the TV in Big Brother season is... difficult)

JabberwockySupafly
2007-07-09, 07:50 AM
played it both on Gamecube & PS2 (long story short, got halfway through it when my Gamecube decided make this interesting grunting noise and proceed to produce a small puff of black smoke and DIED. I'm the only person I know of who has had this problem...). Got it on the Wii the day it was released here in Oz (last Thursday), and already sunk 20 hours into it. Up to the island, just got past "IT". And to put it bluntly, the Wii version, in every aspect, puts the PS2 version to shame. The graphics are phenomenal. They did a lot of work on the shadowing, the body movements, and the light sources. Sometimes in the PS2 & GC versions the shady bits were too dark and looked poor, it took away from it being scary and made it annoying, but it was cleared up really well in the Wii version. The atmosphere is a lot more immersive.

A bit of fun, Jibar. Try shooting a lone guy in the knees, and if/when he drops to his knees get behind him real quick. You like kicking? You'll love Suplex.

Also, I'd just like to say:

Point-blank Killer7 to the Face = LOVE

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-09, 07:56 AM
Borrowed it from a friend on GC, beat it first try within a couple days.

Bought it on PS2 a few weeks later, beat it again.

I'm probably going to buy it on Wii, too. Hopefully this'll be its final edition. Not gonna go for PC because it would be way too frickin easy with a mouse (if you can use one, dunno).

Hoggy
2007-07-09, 11:23 AM
Have special edition on PS2. Case is all... metallic.

One of my fav games ever, first time through. I love the feel of it. Plus, Leon's been one of my favourite game characters since I played the demo of Resi 2... when I was, like, 10 :smalltongue:

Oddly enough, 2 and 4 are the only ones I've played. Maybe I'm subconciously gay for Leon or something.

Jibar
2007-07-09, 12:05 PM
A bit of fun, Jibar. Try shooting a lone guy in the knees, and if/when he drops to his knees get behind him real quick. You like kicking? You'll love Suplex.[/SIZE]

You've got my attention... do tell more.

Maybe I'm subconciously gay for Leon or something.

Are you kidding me? Look at his hair.
I'd so tap that.

Oh, I also killed Del Lago this morning. Something so simple as shaking the wiimote to swim takes on such a frantic nature, which really adds to the tension of the boss fight.

darkmars20
2007-07-09, 12:18 PM
RE 4 is a great game. The remake for the Wii is amazing. I've got to buy it soon. Playing with the wiimote will make shooting a great expirience. I played it on the GC but haven't on the Wii yet. I saved the rocket launcher for one of the bosses (was a long time ago couldn't remember which) and it took only two shots to killl him. One with the pistol and one with the RPG. Playing Mercaneries was hard to get Wesker though.

I don't think they should have made it come out for other systems, besides the Wii because it's made from Nintendo. My game says only for GC.

Arang
2007-07-09, 06:18 PM
You've got my attention... do tell more.

Basically, if they're wounded enough, their head explodes. You throw them over your back, and their heads explode into a fine bloody mist.

trollhammeren
2007-07-09, 08:51 PM
Has anyone else here been eaten by Del Lago before they got in the boat? It happens so fast, its so funny if you know its coming but the guy playing doesnt.

PlatinumJester
2007-07-10, 07:45 AM
Has anyone left ashley up on a ledge and then tried to look up her skirt. It's funny because she calls you a pervert.

Or just before the water boss thing, go to the egde of the jetty and fire repaetadly at the water.

Maldraugedhen
2007-07-10, 09:04 AM
Make sure you SAVE before doing that last one. I found out about that while trying to pistolfish on my second run-through before fighting Del Lago. Dark room, of course, silent house, etc. etc., but I really needed the fish, so I did it again and again until I knew exactly how many shots I could fire and got myself some extra fish.

Stathfolos
2007-07-10, 10:12 AM
I really enjoyed playing the Mercenaries mini-game. My favorite character is Hunk. I love his neck breaker move. I also enjoyed playing as Krauser with his bow and claw attack.

I still need to play through the game on hard mode.

Was anyone else scared ****less when they first saw Dr. Salvador (from the waterfront level) charging at them, wildly swinging his dual-bladed chainsaw?

Jerthanis
2007-07-10, 10:31 AM
I also really want Leon's jacket.

Than you will be as disappointed as I was when he loses the jacket for the rest of the game at one point.

(is also gay for Leon)

trollhammeren
2007-07-10, 12:01 PM
Super Salvador is possible the scariest thing in any Resi game. Ever. You can hear him from any where in the level and then you see him and its just like "Holy **** on **** sandwich with some **** on top!!! That guy is way too ****ing big!!!" And then you die. I spent most of my time on that level just running away from him but if you climb a ladder and wait for him at the top you can just knock him down every time he tries to climb up. Or just 'nade him. Has anyone here gotten the Handcannon?

Wolfgang
2007-07-10, 12:05 PM
I've never even played the game and I love it. Just watching people play has been awesome.

Leon is truly a master of witty dialogue.

(something about sending someone's right hand, if I recall)
"It comes off?"

Oh Mr. Kennedy, you card.

Jibar
2007-07-10, 12:31 PM
Leon is truly a master of witty dialogue.

(something about sending someone's right hand, if I recall)
"It comes off?"

"I've sent my right hand to destroy you!"
"It comes off?"

Meanwhile, me, Mendez and a shotgun are having choice words.