PDA

View Full Version : Sword of the Arcane Order questions.

VenomTongue
2016-09-08, 03:29 PM
So there is this feat called Sword of the Arcane Order from Champions of Valor. Basically it allows me to use ranger spell slots to cast wizard spells, however I have to keep a spellbook, or borrow a friends.
I have questions.
1. Does this feat allow me to use wands without UMD?
2. I know there is Sublime Chord for Bards to get full casting, is there a prestige class built for Paladins or Rangers to get full casting?
I don't want to go super cheesy, but a couple slices just make life delicious.

Flickerdart
2016-09-08, 03:41 PM
"You can use your paladin and ranger spell slots to prepare Wizard spells."

You are still a paladin or ranger. You use the paladin or ranger spell list. You do not use the wizard spell list because you are not a wizard; you just prepare spells from it.

"Anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores that spell."

Since wizard spells are not on your paladin or ranger spell list, you do not have the ability to use the wands without UMD.

Yes, it's absurd, but it's RAW. Sword of the Arcane Order is very poorly thought out.

Check out the Mystic Ranger alternate class feature to juice up your ranger casting.

Willie the Duck
2016-09-08, 05:19 PM
Poorly thought out, poorly explained, poorly executed, clearly in need of clarification that did not come because it was so late in 3e's production. There have been many many threads on what the official rules are, and I'm sure you could foster another horrid debate if you wanted, but honestly, just ask your DM how they see the feat working and go off that.

Coidzor
2016-09-08, 07:06 PM
So there is this feat called Sword of the Arcane Order from Champions of Valor. Basically it allows me to use ranger spell slots to cast wizard spells, however I have to keep a spellbook, or borrow a friends.
I have questions.
1. Does this feat allow me to use wands without UMD?
2. I know there is Sublime Chord for Bards to get full casting, is there a prestige class built for Paladins or Rangers to get full casting?
I don't want to go super cheesy, but a couple slices just make life delicious.

1. Entirely up to how the DM adjudicates it, since that feat does not function very well at all without DM adjudication and houseruling.

2. No. The closest you can get is go Cleric and then take a few levels of Prestige Paladin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigePaladin) from Unearthed Arcana. Then maybe some Knight of the Raven(Expedition to Castle Ravenloft) or other melee-type Cleric PrCs.

Ruethgar
2016-09-08, 11:21 PM
Do note that it does not allow you to cast Wizard spells, only prepare them. You need to be a Wizard to actually cast them(or potentially just have the Magical Training feat). Not that great of a feat, but as others have said, it is best to seek DM adjudication in this instance.