PDA

View Full Version : Bard as Occult Investigator

JumboWheat01
2016-09-08, 04:24 PM
So we're nearing the end of what my DM's calling "his old world," and wants us to prepare new characters for his new one. Where he keeps coming up with these ideas remains a mystery to me...

Anyhoo, he's promised us some more paranormal (well, as a paranormal as one could get in D&D based stuffs,) and more occult incidents in his new world. So naturally I want to do a more investigative character for this kind a thing (even if he'll still be a halfling,) and instead of the Inquisitive Rogue, which my DM said he would totally allow, I started looking into the Bard. Both classes would let me get expertise in Insight, Perception, Persuasion and probably Investigation to round it of, so that wouldn't be a problem at all.

Do you think a Bard's kit has enough toys to make it a fair occult investigator? If so, which sub-class would you recommend? Valor for dealing with the threats? Lore for more knowledge on them (through Arcana, Religion and History as free skills)? I'd have to okay them, but Swords seems like an alternative to Valor (though I would prefer shields to dual-wielding.) Satire is out though, it just wouldn't fit the character.

Specter
2016-09-08, 04:27 PM
Good one!

I'd go Lore, if only for more skills. A trick for damage is Magic Initiate for GFB/BB, that way if you need to attack you won't be too behind valor. Plus Find Familiar, which is great for investigation.

This is all assuming you won't spend your level 6 Magical Secrets on better stuff, otherwise that's an option too.

smcmike
2016-09-08, 05:31 PM
A lot of classes can fill this role.

Bard is nice for expertise and spells. The biggest issue is that some of the most obvious spells for a paranormal investigator aren't on the list - detect good and evil and protection from good and evil are both super-thematic, but also annoying to use Magical Secrets on. Dips can help - dip cleric for spell access, or dip paladin for no-spell detection (and smites).

Knowledge Cleric fills the role very well too. Access to all skills, and expertise in relevant knowledges, and good anti-supernatural spells.

Also, Abjuration wizard. Or warlock.