PDA

View Full Version : Creatures with Web ability in 3.5

Sgt_Screwball
2016-09-08, 04:32 PM
Hi guys, new addition to the forum here :)
And already I've got a question: I'm the DM for a party of 4, level 6 characters. I'll be sending them to a silk farm of sorts pretty soon, and I was wondering: what creatures in 3.5 have the ability to create a (natural/lasting) web?
I would like to use some creatures other than 'just' spiders.

So far, as possible inhabitants of the silk farm, I've got Phase Spiders, Sword Spiders, Monstrous Spiders, Ettercaps, Harpoon Spiders, Lhosks (those gorilla/spider-taurs from the MM3), Chitines, and even a Bebilith...but for the non-spidery rest, I have no idea :S

So, any suggestions are more than welcome!

Name1
2016-09-08, 07:07 PM
You forgot the Aranea (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Aranea). Still, Web is often used by spider-like creatures... because spiders use webs.

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-08, 10:40 PM
There's also the Dokofu in Oriental Adventures. It's pretty much the über-Aranea; its spider form is Huge-sized and can vomit 1d10 tiny monstrous spiders every 1d4 rounds. The potential effect this could have on an environment is interesting, to say the least. I don't think it lives up to its listed CR of 19 - no SLAs, 22 AC, no DR/SR, no immunities, 200 hp - but it makes for an interesting mid-level big bad at the center of a spider-infested chunk of woods á la Mirkwood in The Hobbit. Doesn't really fit for what you're after unless you change the "always CE" alignment, but a good- or neutral-aligned Dokofu could make for an interesting silk-farm owner; they assume humanoid form to pass as a country bumpkin who happens to be good with spiders, but the reality is that every one of the farm's contributors is one of the Dokofu's children.

Inevitability
2016-09-09, 12:54 AM
Why bother with fleshy stuff at all?

Web can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent web that is damaged (but not destroyed) regrows in 10 minutes.

Harvest half the web strands, use Prestidigitation to clean them, wait 10 minutes and repeat. Dispel-vulnerability is annoying, but remember that anyone able to dispel your webs can also just burn them.

Sgt_Screwball
2016-09-09, 02:21 AM
Ooh, thanks, that's pretty helpful! :D

It also hit me: original silk farms use silkworms (duh), so...what kind of worm-type critters are out there in D&D?

ShurikVch
2016-09-09, 04:36 AM
It also hit me: original silk farms use silkworms (duh), so...what kind of worm-type critters are out there in D&D?Dragon #323 have Caterpillar familiar (statistics equivalent to Mouse)
Dungeon #130 have Demonic Caterpillar - CR 13, 24 HD Colossal Magical Beast

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-09, 06:52 AM
Ooh, thanks, that's pretty helpful! :D

It also hit me: original silk farms use silkworms (duh), so...what kind of worm-type critters are out there in D&D?

Silk worms are the caterpillars of a certain moth. Imagine if purple worms caccooned...

Extra Anchovies
2016-09-09, 07:55 AM
Silk worms are the caterpillars of a certain moth. Imagine if purple worms caccooned...

Is there a giant moth creature hidden away in some weird splat somewhere?

ShurikVch
2016-09-09, 08:04 AM
Is there a giant moth creature hidden away in some weird splat somewhere?Luna Moth - Large (5 HD, CR 4) Magical Beast in Heroes of Battle
Beacon Moth - Huge (8 HD, CR 5) Magical Beast in Dragon #322

fishyfishyfishy
2016-09-09, 08:09 AM
Is there a giant moth creature hidden away in some weird splat somewhere?

Slap a flight speed on the Tarrasque and call it a day.

daremetoidareyo
2016-09-09, 04:27 PM
Slap a flight speed on the Tarrasque and call it a day.

If we don't boil, literally, every single one of these silk worm caccoons, the world will end.

Inevitability
2016-09-09, 11:34 PM
If we don't boil, literally, every single one of these silk worm caccoons, the world will end.

The tarrasque is immune to fire: I doubt boiling will have much of an effect.

Malroth
2016-09-10, 12:16 AM
it's not immune from drowning, the boiling is just there for the silk.