PDA

View Full Version : Dragon scale shield

Hyphen8or
2016-09-08, 09:57 PM
Is it possible to have a single dragon scale from an ancient dragon that can be used as a shield?

Specter
2016-09-08, 10:13 PM
Why not? Would require some leatherwork beforehand, of course.

Quintessence
2016-09-08, 10:16 PM
I imagine even the largest dragon would only give a scale that is equal to a buckler at most...

Arkhios
2016-09-08, 10:21 PM
I imagine even the largest dragon would only give a scale that is equal to a buckler at most...

Considering that most Ancient dragons are gargantuan in size one could assume some of their scales could be big enough for a normal shield.

Malifice
2016-09-08, 10:25 PM
Is it possible to have a single dragon scale from an ancient dragon that can be used as a shield?

Ask your DM.

I'd say yes.

Spiritchaser
2016-09-09, 05:10 AM
If it were my campaign yes...

Because :
Seems reasonable
Potential foil for future things
Hard to get
Unique
cool
Fun
Why on (well ok not earth) not?

Hyphen8or
2016-09-10, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I will get approval from my DM. I mainly wanted to see if those more knowledgeable than myself knew if it were possible to find scales that large.

poolio
2016-09-10, 11:44 PM
Should ask about the potential for possible resistance to the element of said dragon,

Just a thought :smallwink:

Plaguescarred
2016-09-11, 05:01 AM
Is it possible to have a single dragon scale from an ancient dragon that can be used as a shield?Yes its possible if your DM accept of course.

As a DM i'd let it have resistance against the dragon's breath damage type. For exemple;

DRAGONSHIELD
Exceptional armor (shield), very rare
This dark shield fashioned from the largest scale
of a anciant black dragon grant you you resistance
againt acid damage.

Hyphen8or
2016-09-12, 11:19 PM
Yes its possible if your DM accept of course.

As a DM i'd let it have resistance against the dragon's breath damage type. For exemple;

DRAGONSHIELD
againt acid damage.

this is exactly what I was considering.

NNescio
2016-09-13, 12:02 AM

DRAGONSHIELD
againt acid damage.

One has to wonder how it protects against getting dunked in a vat of acid.

DKing9114
2016-09-13, 12:38 AM
According to the descriptions of dragons and size, I'd probably say a single scale would be too small. In RAW, gargantuan beings control a space of 20 feet by 20 feet or greater; if you convince him that a single scale from an ancient dragon can be used as a shield of standard size, he might have you fight one, at which point you see that this one is 50 feet in length.

Telesto
2016-09-13, 12:51 AM
The belly and chest scales of a fully grown Black Dragon in 3.5 would probably total 15-30, with a 24' body length. That's about a foot in height each. You'd probably need 2 of them.

As for the resistance to an element, the older system (3.5) treated armor made of d4agon scales as possessing the dragon's resistance/immunity, however as a mundane item they did not confer that bonus to the wearer

RakiReborn
2016-09-13, 12:57 AM

DRAGONSHIELD
againt acid damage.

As a DM, i would certainly allow it, even if the scale would not be the right size. If thats a problem with the other players or whatever, maybe as 4 scales neatly put together. I would however not Let you get full resistance, as i feel something smaller than the armor version should not give you the same. I think i'll let it use your reaction to get resistance when you get damage against the Dragon type (like the EEPC spell, without the extra damage part)

Malifice
2016-09-13, 01:02 AM

Magic.

:smallwink:

Ruslan
2016-09-13, 01:13 AM

Two words: shield surfing.

Malifice
2016-09-13, 01:56 AM

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/24468350.jpg

Plaguescarred
2016-09-13, 04:10 AM
One has to wonder how it protects against getting dunked in a vat of acid.It act like windshield's aquapel, literally sliding away from you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PHFy74H6A

Hyphen8or
2016-09-15, 12:08 AM
It act like windshield's aquapel, literally sliding away from you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26PHFy74H6A

This is certainly how I imagine it.

Arkhios
2016-09-15, 03:09 AM

As others have said before. Magic is the answer. To make it more easily comprehensible, consider this:

Some magic items simply bestow magical abilities to your character as long as you wear or wield them, meaning that not all magic item effects originate only from the item itself.
Clearly this has got to be how it works with dragon scale armor (and shield), because even the dragon scale mail does not cover you from head to toe (meaning your head and most likely parts of your limbs as well are still exposed, regardless of other pieces of equipment covering those areas), but still you get resistance to the damage type.

Daishain
2016-09-15, 09:24 AM
One has to wonder how evasion lets you escape all fireball damage when such detonates along with you inside a sealed 10' cube room. Some things just don't make sense in D&D, and a DM is quite free to say the acid resistance only applies to ranged attacks if it bothers him enough, its already homebrew material.