PDA

View Full Version : When & how to apply Sorcerer's Elemental Affinity dmg?

odigity
2016-09-09, 05:59 AM
I searched the forums but couldn't find a clear answer on this.

Take, for example, the popular Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade cantrips.

1) Does the +Cha dmg get added to the initial melee attack? (BB, GFB)
2) Does the +Cha dmg get added to the when-you-move thunder dmg? (BB)
3) Does the +Cha dmg get added to the second target? (GFB)

What about with Create Bonfire...

4) Does the +Cha dmg get added to the dmg done upon casting?
5) Does the +Cha dmg get added to the dmg done when entering / ending your turn in that square?

---

EDIT: I realize Booming Blade does Thunder damage, and there is no dragon type for Sorcerer associated with Thunder. But, you know, there could be some day...

MrStabby
2016-09-09, 06:03 AM
The errata clarifies that it is once per spell.

I would apply it the first time only.

Citan
2016-09-09, 06:58 AM
The errata clarifies that it is once per spell.

I would apply it the first time only.
Yeah, stupidly enough, unfortunately, especially in the case of Scorching Ray where you would apply one ray per target...
@OP: you're pretty stuck with this ruling in AL I suppose, but in case you are playing outside, you should check with your DMs. He may very well agree to lift this restriction and make it apply on each damage instance.

Would be very coherent fluff-wise (for example, Create Bonfire, concentration spell: isn't it intuitive to consider that you created stronger flames because you are Draconic, and you use your concentration to sustain them at the same intensity level?).
Wouldn't break anything: Create Bonfire again: still far worse than Eldricht Blast and requires concentration. Scorching Ray: +CHA per ray means +15 which is great, but on a commonly resisted element (meaning you have to also get Elemental Adept feat, instead of ASI).

Allowing this would not break anything, even on niche builds that try to cheese on this (Undying Light Warlock 1 / Draconic Sorcerer 6 / Paladin 11) because such builds would sacrifice many other good things just for this one trick.

So it would just reward builds that want to feel "elemental ones" (ex Paladin with Draconic Sorcerer, using Elemental Weapon: it means no Haste/Bless/whatever buff/debuff, so opportunity cost stays high, but for its niche it becomes a good option).

Fflewddur Fflam
2016-09-09, 09:09 AM
Yeah, stupidly enough, unfortunately, especially in the case of Scorching Ray where you would apply one ray per target...

Especially stupid considering a warlock with agonizing blast applies it to each ray of Eldritch Blast. True, that's just one spell... but it's a cantrip.... and it frigging rocks.

MrStabby
2016-09-09, 09:23 AM
Especially stupid considering a warlock with agonizing blast applies it to each ray of Eldritch Blast. True, that's just one spell... but it's a cantrip.... and it frigging rocks.

Not quite the same though, as much more of a warlocks power is in their at will attack.

It isn't stupid that the strongest feature of one class is better than the weakest feature of another - it's pretty much what you expect.

This would be like commenting that sorcerer casting whilst combined with a class feature (like metamagic) was more useful than warlock leveled spell casting.

Sorcerer spellcasting is awesome, but I think the problem is that many people select to play a sorcerer on the expectation of doing damage. Whether it was intended to be played that way or not, it tends to be much more effective in a more balanced role.

Adding damage to more rolls... not sure it would end the game - a lot of the time it wouldn't even be that powerful if your spell slots are better spent on other spells. Situationaly though it could be encounter breaking. I might be generous and say that it can add to fireball - you make one damage roll but that damage is applied to reach creature it hits but I wouldn't allow it for spells like scorching ray.

Citan
2016-09-09, 10:42 AM
Adding damage to more rolls... not sure it would end the game - a lot of the time it wouldn't even be that powerful if your spell slots are better spent on other spells. Situationaly though it could be encounter breaking. I might be generous and say that it can add to fireball - you make one damage roll but that damage is applied to reach creature it hits but I wouldn't allow it for spells like scorching ray.
I'm sorry but that's not being generous at all, it's just applying rules, even with the most conservative interpretation. You are "rolling once for every creature" (AOE spell) + "when you cast a spell you add CHA to the damage roll". It's basic d&d rule.

And obviously you should, otherwise the feature has really no interest at all.

MrStabby
2016-09-09, 10:46 AM
I'm sorry but that's not being generous at all, it's just applying rules. You are "rolling once for every creature" (AOE spell) + "when you cast a spell you add CHA to the damage roll". It's basic d&d rule.

I have seen some tables interpret it as rolling once for each creature. Given the terminological inexactitude found in the writing of the rules I wouldn't read too much into what is intended by narrow semantic reasoning.

Dalebert
2016-09-09, 11:49 AM
I'm not familiar with the errata and it may address this, but I've always treated it as once per damage roll and no more than once per spell. Obviously it affects your fireball damage for all creatures. It doesn't affect Scorching Ray three times because you're rolling damage three times. And I've applied it to twinned effects because, like fireball, it's just the same effect applied to two targets. When I twin Firebolt, I only roll the damage once and apply it to both creatures, assuming I hit both. There are disagreements about this but that's what makes sense to me. If you drill down to the meaning of twinning, it's that the same effect applies to two targets; not that you're just getting the effect twice. If it was just doubling the effect, you'd be able to hit the same creature twice just as with Scorching Ray.

Citan
2016-09-09, 12:25 PM
I have seen some tables interpret it as rolling once for each creature. Given the terminological inexactitude found in the writing of the rules I wouldn't read too much into what is intended by narrow semantic reasoning.
Lol?
I'm sorry but that point at least is crystal clear in the PHB.
Damage section: "If a spell or other effect deals damage to more than one target at the same time, roll the damage once for all of them." And it specifically takes Fireball as an example.

Don't invent ambiguïty where there is none. What you are talking about is a houserule.

That this houserule is a good thing or no is another topic entirely (I wouldn't use it but I understand the reasoning behind, although it slows down the rythm, it may beel more just for the player).