PDA

View Full Version : Race, feats, spells, and maneuvers for a Jade Phoenix Wu Jen

Kaje
2016-09-09, 06:14 AM
I'm creating one of these for fun and I'd like input for some of these details. So far I've got:

32 point-buy

Race: ??? I feel like Illumian, lesser Tiefling, or Human are the obvious ones.

Wu Jen 4/Warblade 1/Mindbender 1/Incantatrix 3/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Archmage 1

Feats:
1 - Practiced Spellcaster
1 - Extend Spell (Wu Jen)
3 - Spell Focus: Transmutation
6 - Mindsight
7 - Persistent Spell (Incantatrix)
9 - Spell Focus: Evocation?
12 - Martial Study: Iron Heart Surge
15 - Skill Focus: Spellcraft
18 -

Spells: Charm Person, Body Outside Body and Transcend Mortality are the only ones I'm sure of.

Maneuvers: Iron Heart Surge - goodbye AMFs.

And I'm using my Archmage Arcana to make Transcend Mortality an SLA.

Since it's just for fun, flaws and traits are in play.

Sapreaver
2016-09-09, 06:46 AM
There is the eujen spell that makes you colossal and a couple that take away the concentration requirement of other spells.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 10:41 AM
Arcane strike is a decent one. More to hit and damage if you spend a spell slot. Why Wu jen though? Duskblade, or battle sorceror from unearthed arcana mesh much better with jade phoenix mage, and you won't have to deal with having the bad bab in most of your classes. (duskblade gets full, battle sorc gets 3/4)

Kaje
2016-09-09, 11:14 AM
Those would perhaps be better for a straight gish, but the whole point is the awesome interaction between Transcend Mortality and Emerald Immolation (and also Body Outside Body).

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 12:26 PM
Transcend mortality is alright, but it kills you, and emerald immolation can only be done once a week. I don't think it's worth it to build up that much for a once per week combo, but you do you man.

Inevitability
2016-09-09, 12:29 PM
Transcend mortality is alright, but it kills you, and emerald immolation can only be done once a week. I don't think it's worth it to build up that much for a once per week combo, but you do you man.

Well, JPM is a good build by itself: Transcend Mortality tricks are just icing.

Kaje
2016-09-09, 12:41 PM
Body outside body duplicates can use slas. Like transcend mortality 2/day. And emerald immolation 1/week. And I'm creating new ones every day that can last all day. They can TM early on and then EI to come back again. And then TM again later and it doesn't matter that they're dead.

DarkSonic1337
2016-09-09, 01:26 PM
Wu Jen/JPM is one of the better spell lists for JPM (not as good overall as Wizard list imo, but it has its gems).

Body outside Body clones can use maneuvers, SLA's, and arguably anything that aren't spells (incarnum? Psionics? Pack Magic?). They can also arguably sacrifice spell slots for arcane strike.

One thing I'd make sure to do is ask the DM about spell compendium's additional spells for Wu Jen. The spell compendium mentions something along the lines of adding elemental themed spells from the Sorc/Wiz list to the Wu Jen list.

You're gonna want some of the typical buff spells like Haste, Greater Magic Weapon (or use Lightning Blade for touch attack power attacks :p), Greater Luminous Armor, Greater Invisibility, ect.

For Manuevers, insightful strike and greater insightful strike will have synergy with your already high concentration check. Most of diamond mind really. White Raven will also have HUGE payoffs after you get body outside body. Leading the charge on your whole army of selves will definitely be ridiculous, and white raven hammer is no save stuns all around.