PDA

View Full Version : Eyes of the rune keeper and spell scrolls

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 06:56 AM
If a spell scroll is not on your class list you can't read it, but eyes of the rune keeper let's you you read all written languages. If a warlock had this invocation could he use spell scrolls that had spells from a clerics list?

arrowed
2016-09-09, 07:06 AM
I think the warlock could read and identify it, but not use it. That's only my opinion though, since we know thieves get Use Magic Device I can see the potential counterargument. :smallconfused: I suppose it depends on how similar you think magic-users are. Do warlocks cast their spells in a similar enough way to clerics that a warlock who can read a cleric spell can understand how to cast it?

Joe the Rat
2016-09-09, 08:52 AM
You can only use spells that are on your "class" spell list - and casting over level is tricky.
The trick with spell scrolls is not knowing the language, it's knowing how to access the power woven into the words and sigils and whatnot. You'd need a UMD-type ability to access off-class spells (or in the case of Thief, any spells).

TundraBuccaneer
2016-09-09, 09:00 AM
A scroll is a consumable magic item. Whatever the nature of the magic contained in a scroll, unleashing that magic requires using an action to read the scroll. When its magic has been invoked, the scroll can't be used again. Its words fade, or it crumbles into dust. Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it.

Dmg, chapter 7, page 139

There also is a variant rule in that lets you roll an arcana check, that lets you roll for a random effect if you fail.

Joe the Rat
2016-09-09, 09:42 AM
5e srd: Spell Scroll:

A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell’s components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible.

Anyone can attempt to use a scroll (such as a scroll of protection), but a spell scroll is a specific subtype with additional requirements.

CantigThimble
2016-09-09, 11:00 AM
I'd think of it like reading a scientific thesis in Russian. Even if you knew Russian and could interpret individual words you wouldn't be able to actually understand it or get any use out of it it without a scientific background.

NNescio
2016-09-09, 07:30 PM
I'd think of it like reading a scientific thesis in Russian. Even if you knew Russian and could interpret individual words you wouldn't be able to actually understand it or get any use out of it it without a scientific background.

And the right scientific background, at that. Analogous to having the right spell list, and not just being any spellcaster.

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 08:05 PM

That makes sense, thanks