PDA

View Full Version : A blastlock is op single damage

Sir cryosin
2016-09-09, 01:55 PM
It takes a turn to set up but a Blastlock with 5th lv spell slots can do 2d10+10+ 4d8 with casting hex and bestow curse. Oh a wizard can do better with feat magic initiative for hex then instead of eldritch blast cast scorching Ray.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 02:09 PM
Your forgetting the concentration limit. You can't have both hex and the curse up at once.

But a warlock 2/sorcerer 3+ can do this best via quicken scorching Ray then EB. Could empower them as well. Throw in 3 levels of assassin and pull off surprise with hex up already for the most burst in 5e.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-09, 02:15 PM
Your forgetting the concentration limit. You can't have both hex and the curse up at once.

But a warlock 2/sorcerer 3+ can do this best via quicken scorching Ray then EB. Could empower them as well. Throw in 3 levels of assassin and pull off surprise with hex up already for the most burst in 5e.

No if you cast bestow curse in a 5th lv spell slot or higher you don't need to concentrate on it.

smcmike
2016-09-09, 02:23 PM
Good point.

Of course, at 9th level, a fighter could shoot you 5 times for 5d6 + 75 damage (and battlemaster maneuvers or magic weapon damage) without a round of set-up.

NecroDancer
2016-09-09, 02:28 PM
I tend to use a fireball, 8d6 damage spread Across 4+ people is pretty good. I took out a room of cultist with a fireball

Draco4472
2016-09-09, 03:03 PM
Sure it's overpowered, but it uses most of those precious warlock spell-slots which take an hour of doing nothing to get back. That is how it is balanced, you do that once, then you're done for the day. Unless you take an hour break in between combats which can be punished by the DM with ambushes and oncoming waves of foes.

WereRabbitz
2016-09-09, 03:13 PM
Sure it's overpowered, but it uses most of those precious warlock spell-slots which take an hour of doing nothing to get back. That is how it is balanced, you do that once, then you're done for the day. Unless you take an hour break in between combats which can be punished by the DM with ambushes and oncoming waves of foes.

Casters are all about big Damage Spikes until they run out of spells and then they lose value.

Martial Fighters are more about less damage but consistent damage.

Warlock/Paladin look good, and have alternatives to help to stretch out their spells but when you run out of spells/smites you lose a good chunk of your damage until you rest.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 03:20 PM
No if you cast bestow curse in a 5th lv spell slot or higher you don't need to concentrate on it.

Ah I see. My mistake. It's still touch and an action though.

For the common fight length most 5th blasts would probably more damage and faster.

MaxWilson
2016-09-09, 03:37 PM
It takes a turn to set up but a Blastlock with 5th lv spell slots can do 2d10+10+ 4d8 with casting hex and bestow curse. Oh a wizard can do better with feat magic initiative for hex then instead of eldritch blast cast scorching Ray.

I think you mean 2d10+10+2d8+2d6. (37 average.) Bestow Curse gives d8s, Hex gives d6s.

It's a pathetically small RoI for two rounds and two spell slots. Not in any way OP.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 03:59 PM
So a warlock 2/sorcerer 15/assassin 3 could meet a foe the day before and cast a level 7 bestow curse on him. Then sometime within the next 24 hours he hexes a rat, kills it. Then sneaks up on his prey. If he approaches stealthily successfully he can switch his hex to his prey then enter initiative.

Since he has his foe surprised he gets adv and autocrits. He quickens and empowers scorching Ray as a level 8 spell, then empowers an EB. The scorching Ray would have 9 rays each doing 2d6 Fire 1d6+1d8 necrotic doubled from crit to 6d6+2d8 x9 for 270 +5 from cha +whatever empower gives + plus a few more (~3) if he has elemental adept fire. Then casts EB for 1d10+5 force plus 1d6+1d8 necrotic x4 for 74 avg plus a few more for empower. All in all average damage is ~356 damage.

Probably going to miss with something even with all advantage. Doesn't work for crap if the foe is immune to fire, or surprise.

EvilAnagram
2016-09-09, 04:13 PM
Casters are all about big Damage Spikes until they run out of spells and then they lose value.

Martial Fighters are more about less damage but consistent damage.

This isn't really true. Paladins, Fighters, and Elements Monks can all nova for extremely high damage compared to most casters. The Warlock is actually an exception in its ability to spike very high. Most casters do have a handful of tremendously useful things they can do, but damage spiking isn't usually one of them.

That said, martials do tend to have very consistent damage.

WereRabbitz
2016-09-09, 04:16 PM
Warlocks/Paladins have nice Damage spikes, but they are hybrid creatures so it's to be expected that they balance well.

Citan
2016-09-09, 05:10 PM
I really doesn't understand how you make your maths, unless you were talking about a lvl 10 character.

Anyways, I agree with MaxWilson, not OP at all.
If you really want such a nova strike, the best build is...
Fighter 2 / Blastlock 2 / Sorcerer 9 / Bard 6
Fighter for Action Surge.
Blastlock for Agonizing Blast
Sorcerer for Quicken and Heightened Metamagics.
Bard for Bestow Curse

Reason for Bard is that Warlock invocation is only 1/long rest. Also Bard brings other nice things.

Even with that you still need two rounds to fully activate your combo. But you can bonus cast Hex and use action on EB on first round, or use action surge to cast Heightened Bestow Curse on first round (but then you cannot use Quickened to cast even a cantrip per RAW).

Also, I would say that Bestow Curse would be usually better used to make save or suck spells from you and allies more prone to affect.

So this kind of combo would be worth only against a very powerful enemy, which you know is best brought down by brute force over a long time.
In this niche case though, you can deal impressive damage for 2-3 rounds, by casting Eldricht Blast on both action and bonus action.

krunchyfrogg
2016-09-10, 01:37 PM

I love this build

AttilatheYeon
2016-09-10, 05:33 PM
So i may have missed something, but i don't think either Warlock or Sorceror get Bestow Curse.

Sir cryosin
2016-09-10, 05:36 PM
So i may have missed something, but i don't think either Warlock or Sorceror get Bestow Curse.

Warlock gets it as a invocation.

Foxhound438
2016-09-11, 08:54 PM
every time i see someone talk about how overpowered warlocks are, i just think of the guy in my playgroup who always plays barbarians. Vuman with great weapon master, let rage and reckless attack do the rest of the work. Consistently the most damage, the most kills, and the least effort put into optimization. Yeah, warlocks aren't even close.