PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Shield vs Antimagic Field?

flappeercraft
2016-09-09, 02:22 PM
So I just thought about something and not my DM or myself have come up with an answer. If mystic shield spell prevents all spells and spell like abilities of 6th level and lower from affecting the caster unless cast by him does that render him immune to antimagic field as it is a 6th level spell or does antimagic field block the mystic shield effect?

Evolved Shrimp
2016-09-09, 02:40 PM
The description of Antimagic Field says:

Two or more antimagic fields sharing any of the same space have no effect on each other.

So one antimagic field does not protect the caster from another such field.

Since mystic shield and antimagic field are similar in effect, I’d find it reasonable to rule that a mystic shield and an antimagic field likewise do not affect each other – which would mean that the shield does not protect its caster from the field.

Fouredged Sword
2016-09-09, 02:52 PM
Raw it looks like you are immune to a AMF. For an 8th level spell and 400gp a casting you can be immune for 15-20 rounds.

Inevitability
2016-09-09, 02:59 PM
'You' and 'the spells cast on you' are different things, though. I'd say Antimagic Field negates MS (which doesn't protect itself), and subsequently affects the PC.

Necroticplague
2016-09-09, 03:16 PM
'You' and 'the spells cast on you' are different things, though. I'd say Antimagic Field negates MS (which doesn't protect itself), and subsequently affects the PC.

This. Mystic Shield protects you, and it protects magic items on you. It does not protect anything else, including spells on you.