PDA

View Full Version : parrying/block mechanic and deflection ac

Goodkill
2016-09-09, 02:54 PM
i originally was going to use this in my video game to make combat more interesting, but i had to change my gameplay for copyright reasons so i abandoned it.

i think it should work for PnP as well. it's nothing complicated, but i figured i'd share it anyway. basically there are two parts. first, armor gives a deflection bonus instead of ac (same as ac but lower) and has damage resistance. shields also give a deflection bonus, and i can't remember if they also had damage resistance but i don't think so. then for weapons you can roll attack to block any attack (an opposed attack roll). you can roll your attack bonus plus the shield's deflection bonus to block.

originally, this was going to work based on a click event and proper timing on the part of the player. i haven't worked out all the details for PnP, like how many attacks you can parry or block per turn. maybe some feats like combat reflexes could add to the amount. it's a flexible mechanic, but i'm saving my creativity for programming my game so i have nothing to add - though i think this could work pretty well with some homebrewing.

Necroticplague
2016-09-09, 03:00 PM
1. Err....deflection bonus to what? I mean, normally, deflection boni are to AC, so if armor isn't increasing AC, what does it increase?
2.Sounds like a way to slow down the already somewhat tediously sloggish combat system.

Goodkill
2016-09-09, 03:05 PM
1. Err....deflection bonus to what? I mean, normally, deflection boni are to AC, so if armor isn't increasing AC, what does it increase?
2.Sounds like a way to slow down the already somewhat tediously sloggish combat system.

1. deflection bonus replaces ac bonus. basically it's lower than ac ... i came up with this as a way to make d20 more realistic and exciting as a video game rather than for any other reason

2. maybe it isn't great for PnP, i haven't tested it. i thought it was a good mechanic for a video game though. now i'm using a different system that doesn't need as much homebrewing for realism.

Erit
2016-09-09, 03:09 PM
Or you can just play a martial adept with access to Iron Heart and Wall of Blades your way to victory. And for Pathfinder there's always Thrashing Dragon.