View Full Version : Dumb AT rogue - How to make the best of it?

Corran
2016-09-09, 03:01 PM
Reading through the AT fluff text, I was intrigued by the idea of playing an AT rogue against type, meaning one with a noticably bad intelligence score (so assume an int of 8-9). This rogue might just happened to steal the spellbook of a low-level wizard, and maybe that was the reason was to why he ended up with the AT subclass. A random (but predetermined by character background, I guess) loot (ie the spellbook), seems to me a very solid idea for the reason a rogue ended up with the AT subclass, and since even dump rogues can do sth like this, why not? Plus, roleplaying the ''dummy'' who is hellbent on unlocking the secret of arcane magic seems like fun too. Especially in a more comic relief style campaign, where I coud just have such a character studying through his ''wizardy for dummies'' manual.

Anyway, how could I make the best of a dumb AT rogue?
I am not interested in which are the best selections for non-enchantment/illusion spells, are these picks are so few and pretty much everyone knows of good ways to go about them. I am more concerned about how to make the best of enchantment/illusion spells.

And since the obvious answer would be to look at spells that dont rely at all, or at least a lot, on intelligence, I guess my main question is, can anyone offer advice for creative (dont limit your suggestions only on combat-based interaction) and good use of such spells (for example, I was considering having sleep as a way to ''shut up'' annoying weak NPCs)? Which would you pick and why?
Sleep
Colour spray
Disguise self
Illusory script
Silent image
Magic mouth
Nystrul's magic aura
Major image
Phantom steed
Hallucinatory terrain
ps: I left out some obvious picks like invisibility and mirror image on purpose, though I might have missed some spells that dont heavily rely on int by acccident.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 03:27 PM
It's a relatively common move for EKs to not have much int. I don't see AK as much different, although enchantment is pretty useless. You have your defensive spells you should pick up anyways like mirror image or blur, and find familiar. Still take shield and if you can afford it absorb elements.

Sleep is a good idea but usually a bit weak by the time the AK gets to it.

So basically buffs and some illusions which only require a save upon examination.

famousringo
2016-09-09, 04:03 PM
Yeah, Sleep is an obvious choice as a finisher or to knock out a couple weaker foes, as are the buff illusions that don't warrant a save.

One thing about illusion spells is that they work just fine until either somebody interacts with them or decides to use an action to examine it. Under the right circumstances, a target may never become suspicious of the illusion and may never make that investigation check. Or by the time they do, it may be too late (disguising a trap, distracting while you escape, etc.). Ideally, set your illusions up ahead of time, and keep them plausible. Try emulating other spells with a deception check to convince the enemy that the illusion is real and they should be more concerned about escaping or avoiding it than investigating it.

Furthermore, a wide swath of the Monster Manual just plain sucks at INT saves and checks. So while you might not be able to dupe a hobgoblin with your illusions, you stand a decent chance of duping a dire wolf even with a bad save DC.

Corran
2016-09-09, 06:39 PM
Sleep is a good idea but usually a bit weak by the time the AK gets to it.

Yeah, Sleep is an obvious choice as a finisher or to knock out a couple weaker foes, as are the buff illusions that don't warrant a save.
Yeah, I was mostly looking at sleep for any out of combat applications, as during combat it will become very niche the more I level up. So I was thinking of how I could get some rp out of using sleep under non-combat interactions (get some rp use out from a not that useful feature, so it can add some ''fun'' since it will not add a lot combat wise). So far I got that the verbal component would be something like ''Shhhhhhhhhhhh.....'', since such a simple approach to the verbal components would make sense for a ''dump'' character. Makes it easier for the character to remember. Also thinking how I could have the character often confuse ''shhhhhhhhh'' with the likes of ''pppsssssssssst'' or ''tttsssssss'' etc, especially when this character would be drunk. Also, thinking of a grumpy character, with very poor social skills, and since intimidation can only get you that far when dealing with NPCs, casting sleep on them to avoid the social interaction when not in the mood, would perhaps have some value, and thus sleep would be used from time to time.

So basically buffs and some illusions which only require a save upon examination.

One thing about illusion spells is that they work just fine until either somebody interacts with them or decides to use an action to examine it. Under the right circumstances, a target may never become suspicious of the illusion and may never make that investigation check. Or by the time they do, it may be too late (disguising a trap, distracting while you escape, etc.). Ideally, set your illusions up ahead of time, and keep them plausible. Try emulating other spells with a deception check to convince the enemy that the illusion is real and they should be more concerned about escaping or avoiding it than investigating it.

Furthermore, a wide swath of the Monster Manual just plain sucks at INT saves and checks. So while you might not be able to dupe a hobgoblin with your illusions, you stand a decent chance of duping a dire wolf even with a bad save DC.
Hmmm, under these circumstances then I could perhaps use some illusion spells every now and then, will take a closer look at silent image and the likes. Thanks!