PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character creation help. New to 5e Lorelock

chasepwll
2016-09-09, 03:24 PM
Hello all,

I am looking for a little help setting up a character for a game my friend is running. We are all new to 5e, usually playing 3.5, and he is running a game set on the Sword Coast by Baldur's Gate. My character concept is a half elf Great Old One Warlock 2, Lore Bard 18. He started out as a Warlock entertainer doing parlor tricks kind of things or jokes and now wants to be a famous bard. I have the first level kind of completed. I chose warlock first to make him a viable blaster early and get my bard abilities fairly soon as opposed to waiting for a lot of experience per level. So I plan on leveling up in that one more time. We had a 32 point buy before racial adjustments and since we were new, at first level I was able to finagle a:

Cha 19
Dex 16
Con 15
Int 10
Wis 10
Str 9

My spells are set up as dissonant whispers, eldritch blast, mage hand, and Tasha's hideous laughter.

My question lies in which Eldritch Invocations to choose aside from the obvious Agonizing Blast, and how to level up at Bard. Also, which spells should I choose to maximize the usefulness of the invocation? Do I get to change invocations if it's not working and I level up Bard, or is it only leveling up Warlock that allows you to change them? I would appreciate if somebody could possibly give me a few levels of examples in how to level up, starting with going from Level 1; Warlock 1, to Level 2; Warlock 2, then Level 3; Warlock 2/Bard 1. When do I get more ability points/feats with this set up? Also, what does Eldritch Blast look like as I level up? Does it ever gain another beam like it says at 5th level since I won't be leveling Warlock past 2?

Thank you in advance for your help. I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes on but 5e is pretty fun so far.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-09-09, 03:58 PM
Quick answer section, ho!

My spells are set up as dissonant whispers, eldritch blast, mage hand, and Tasha's hideous laughter.

Hmm. Dissonant Whispers and Tasha's Hideous Laughter fulfil very similar roles. You may not need both of them.

My question lies in which Eldritch Invocations to choose aside from the obvious Agonizing Blast,

You have more choice with the second one. There are several that could be good, depending on the rest of the party and the type of game you're plying.

Do I get to change invocations if it's not working and I level up Bard, or is it only leveling up Warlock that allows you to change them?

I would say warlock levels only.

When do I get more ability points/feats with this set up?

ECL 6, 10, 14, 18.

Also, what does Eldritch Blast look like as I level up? Does it ever gain another beam like it says at 5th level since I won't be leveling Warlock past 2?

Yes. Cantrips scale by ECL, not class level. Fortunately for you.

PeteNutButter
2016-09-09, 04:13 PM
As mentioned above your spells are a tad redundant. I'd replace one with hex since it works so well with eldritch blast.

Also for invocations you do have more options for the second but since you can never change them(without taking more warlock levels) it is recommend to take something that both scales and isn't easily replaced by bard spells.
Repelling blast seems an obvious choice.