PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Running my first high-level campaign. Advice?

Thealtruistorc
2016-09-09, 04:40 PM
Hello everyone.

Next week, the first session of a new game I'm running will be starting. My plan is for it to start at 10th level and eventually reach 20th. This will be the first time that I've ever DMed a group that has surpassed 12th level, and I want to be prepared.

For clarification, I'm looking to create a high-magic adventure in which magic plays a great role, hence why I am playing at this range. I'm aware of the power creep and have experience dealing with substantially powerful players and encounters. I am quite familiar with the rules and am prepared for rocket-tag gameplay.

From those who have run such adventures, I would like any advice that you have to offer. Suggestions, cautions, or anything else I should know about would be great.

weckar
2016-09-09, 04:49 PM
Be aware of any crafters in the group. At that level, effectively doubling WBL is much more significant.

Name1
2016-09-10, 02:49 AM
Be aware of any crafters in the group. At that level, effectively doubling WBL is much more significant.

This. So much this.

Also, you should look out for spell-combinations and the like. A lot of builds get increasingly effective after level 9, especially when it comes to casters. You should probably also think about them evading encounters or plot points altogether, which creates a whole different level of problems that can arise.

trikkydik
2016-09-10, 02:54 AM
Let em go nuckin futs. However strong they think they want to be, it makes the encounters that much more epic. Say yes to whatever they want to do.

If the stats are all crazy and damage is ridiculous, hide your rolls more often. You don't want your end boss getting killed by some stupid magic jar spell or baleful polymorph.