PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion's grasp vs improved grab

sage20500
2016-09-09, 04:48 PM
Working on a phrenic elf gestalt unarmed psychic warrior18 monk2\\swordsage18 build for a dark sun game and i decided to try something different by focusing on stunning fist, tripping, and grappling instead of raw damage for a change.

Feat wise, am i better off taking Scorpion's grasp or taking a level in bear totem barbarian for improved grab? Should i possibly take both?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-09, 04:54 PM
Take the barbarian level. Scorpions grasp is redundant with improved grab and feats are usually more valuable than levels on a melee chassis.

animewatcha
2016-09-09, 04:57 PM
Wasn't there talk in the past about scorpion's grasp allowing you to do a grapple no matter the size of the opponent?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-09, 05:11 PM
Wasn't there talk in the past about scorpion's grasp allowing you to do a grapple no matter the size of the opponent?

Scorpions grasp only activates if the target is smaller than you, so I don't see how that could be.

eggynack
2016-09-09, 05:21 PM
Scorpions grasp only activates if the target is smaller than you, so I don't see how that could be.
Isn't the size limit only present on the -20 option where you grab with your off-hand?

sage20500
2016-09-09, 05:37 PM
Just realised after reading it that the unearthed arcana bear barbarian only gets improved grapple at 2nd level, not improved grav, unless one of the other barbarian acfs get it scorpions grasp is my only option it seems

Necroticplague
2016-09-09, 05:42 PM
Just realised after reading it that the unearthed arcana bear barbarian only gets improved grapple at 2nd level, not improved grav, unless one of the other barbarian acfs get it scorpions grasp is my only option it seems

You don't want Bear Totem, your want Spirit Bear Totem. It's an ACF from Complete Champion, not Unearthed Arcana. Same section as Spirit Lion Totem is.

sage20500
2016-09-09, 05:43 PM
Also just saw that the bear spirit totem from complete champion is what i wanted

sage20500
2016-09-09, 05:49 PM
So on my swordsage side im currently 2la, 1 barbarian 17 swordsage, is there any good regular totems i can take with spirit bear for an extra feat at level 2? Aside from horse totem

eggynack
2016-09-09, 05:59 PM
The traditional combination with a spirit totem is wolf totem, because improved trip is nice. Trap killer from dungeonscape is pretty cool too.

sage20500
2016-09-09, 06:01 PM
Ok, so is a spirit totem bear regular wolf totem barbarian technically legal? That'll net me improved grab and improved trip as a 2 level dip if so, and my initiator level will still be 18 when i hit 20

eggynack
2016-09-09, 06:07 PM
Ok, so is a spirit totem bear regular wolf totem barbarian technically legal? That'll net me improved grab and improved trip as a 2 level dip if so, and my initiator level will still be 18 when i hit 20
Yep. Spirit totem trades fast movement, and wolf totem only trades the uncanny dodges. Most standard totems also trade fast movement, but that one and horse do not.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-09, 07:10 PM
Isn't the size limit only present on the -20 option where you grab with your off-hand?

So it does. Still nothing relaxing the normal restriction of only engaging a grapple with a creature no more than 2 sizes larger than you.

Malimar
2016-09-09, 07:17 PM
So it does. Still nothing relaxing the normal restriction of only engaging a grapple with a creature no more than 2 sizes larger than you.

Still better than Improved Grab's "works only against opponents at least one size category smaller than the creature."

animewatcha
2016-09-10, 01:15 AM

Yeah. Feat says can conduct it normally or do the offhand option.

Sides, grappler builds normally need size increases of some kind be effective. Common one being goliath mountain rage.