PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Showdown: Should I . . . .

Chester
2016-09-09, 06:25 PM
10th level party of 5, about to face an Inspired Inquisitor in a final showdown. She's currently leading a group of dopplegangers, and I thought that the showdown would include:
Inspired Inquisitor
Doppleganger Caster
Doppleganger Ranger (or ranged fighter)
A few lower level Doppleganger Fighters for grunt work / front lines

However.....been playing with the idea of replacing the Doppleganger Caster with a Beholder ally.

Would that be ridiculous? Too hard?

trikkydik
2016-09-09, 06:54 PM
This depends on your party comp.
do you have experienced non casters? If yes, they should be able to dispatch the beholder with some non magic creativity and critical hits/sneak attacks.
But if they're inexperienced, or all casters, beholders can just kill the fun.

Also, players tend to get scared and be overly cautious when they encounter be holders at lower levels.

But I think you know the answer better than anyone else, seeing as you should know a little bit about what your PC's tend to do.

I think you have a good encounter set up without the beholder. My ultimate suggestion would be to keep the beholder in your back pocket. And if they've complete your encounter too easily, or not "beaten up enough." Throw the beholder in after.

Also, if the beholder encounter is in a wide open space with nothing to hide behind, or use as natural concealment from all of its eye rays, it will be infinitely harder than in a dungeon with stuff to hide behind.

Sounds like a good time though.

Chester
2016-09-09, 10:25 PM
Sounds like a good time though.

They heard "Beholder" and decided to call it a tie and leave the dungeon. :smallbiggrin:

trikkydik
2016-09-09, 11:23 PM
Lol!!!! I love it.

Chester
2016-09-10, 10:14 AM
Lol!!!! I love it.

They'll be back when they level up. Of course, the enemy will also level up.....

Manyasone
2016-09-10, 10:31 AM
Some nice templates in the advanced bestiary as well.