PDA

View Full Version : The Tangled Web We Weave

Yithian
2007-07-08, 10:53 AM
If you are part of the party composed of Will, Grace, and Jason, that just caught Lucan Stellos, ignore this post, for plot reasons.

I have recently started an Eberron Campaign with my group. I now ask for your help with the plot arc I plan to throw at them next. Please read the rest of the post for background and what I have planned out, and give comments.

I started off with the fast paced/action oriented adventure "Whispers of a Vampire's Blade". For those unfamiliar with it: the PC's are hired by a spymaster of the Dark Lanterns to catch a rogue agent who has stolen a sword from their vaults. The chase is fast paced and takes place all the way across Khorvaire. It's a cool adventure. Most of them liked it.

What the players just found out from a Gatekeeper Druid that caught up with them at the end of the adventure is that the sword that they recovered was actually Ashrune (Tome of Artifacts, with an altered backstory), the "magical lock" that keeps Xoriat from becoming coterminous with the primary plane. What makes the situation interesting is that shortly after the sword's creation, it was damaged by an agent of the Dragon Below, who cut the top of the sword off. Thus, it is not as effective against the daelkyr as it was designed to be. Shortly after that, the sword became self aware, remembering only that it had a purpose it failed to achieve, and eventually became suicidal because of the failure. Luckily, due to being an artifact, it is very difficult to destroy, although it has been trying for a very long time. Eventually, it ended up in the hands of a Karrnathi warlord, who fell in battle against the Brelish, so the sword was captured and put into the Brelish vaults. This suited the Gatekeepers, who had at last heard about the sword's plight, since the Brelish vaults are wonderfully secure. It spent a few years there, until Lucan Stellos, (a Brelish agent) stumbled on the vampire lord Calderus (a member of the Cults of the Dragon Below and a mafia boss in Sharn). Calderus turned Lucan into a vampire spawn, and ordered him to get the sword, since he wanted to destroy it. The sword, however, dominated Lucan into going to Karrnath to research how to kill itself. The PC's caught Lucan on the way there.

Here is where things get interesting. There are many parties trying to use the fact that the sword has come out into the open again (a lot of people heard rumors about its power, but almost no one knew exactly where it was being held).

The Gatekeepers
They want the sword sealed up somewhere in secret, either in the Brelish vaults, or in their own. However, several influential members who have been disillusioned with their cause are plotting to use the sword as leverage. When they have the sword secured, these members want to threaten destroying it (a serious threat), in order to force the Five Nations to do their bidding.

The Cults of the Dragon Below
They currently hold the short-sword that was made of the split piece of Ashrune, which is supposedly the only weapon capable of destroying Ashrune. Currently, Calderus is desperately trying to figure out why his agent went rogue.
When they get the sword they want to destroy it to grant power to the Daelkyr.

Lords of Dust
The lords of dust want the sword because of its potential to sew so much discord. Also, they want to study the magic used to bind the daelkyr in Khyber/keep xoriat away, and see if reverse-engineering it may help free their masters.

Interestingly enough, they have confronted the PC's already. The Gatekeeper that the players spoke to at the end of the adventure was in fact a Rakasha. It urged the players to return the sword to the Dark Lanterns. They plan, however, to raid the players as they near Sharn, but spread rumors that they sold the sword to the Aurum, and are using the ambush story as a cover. If the plan works, investigators will go down the wrong path.

Order of the Emerald Claw
They have already tried to take the sword by force, and failed. They have heard rumors, spread by the Dark Lanterns, that the blade allows the wielder to control the Daelkyr. Thus they are trying to procure the ultimate weapon for Karrnath. Should they procure the sword and find out that it doesn't quite work like that, they will still bluff.

Dark Lanterns
Recently, they have been spreading word that the blade allows its user to control the Daelkyr. They planned to scare the other nations into peaceful coexistence with the Brelish. Now they just want the sword back.

Church of the Silver Flame
In fact, this whole scheme was orchestrated by a member of the Church of the Silver Flame. Although their primary duty is to fight the Lords of Dust, they view another war against the Daelkyr as a test. A few years back, they heard about the blade and its exploits. They began to gather a secret force. Then, they discreetly leaked information about the blade's true nature to the Brelish (they initially planned to give it to Karrnath, but the blade was captured). This set the whole mechanism in motion.

When the Daelkyr come, they think that the specially armed force will hold them (it won't), and when it wins the day, the Church will look incredibly powerful.

So, what do you think?

My current plan is to have the PC's framed for selling the blade, so they will have to uncover this web of deception, while fighting off all the groups and dealing with the repercussions of avoiding the Dark Lanterns.

Any comments are welcome,

Thank you,

Yithian

illyrus
2007-07-09, 11:51 AM
Nice plot.

You might want to consider the sword as a source of information for the PCs. It might believe that direct influence didn't work out too well, so indirect manipulation of the PCs is in order. It could tell the PCs what it learned of Lucan from controlling him and any other information it would have on the powers seeking it. I'd suggest that the information be straight forward but be limited, enough for the PCs to have a leg up from going in blind but not enough for them to solve the thing in a night.

I'd also suggest some "off-screen" action. Perhaps group A sets up a meeting with the PCs and group B learns of it and ambushes and eliminates group A. Group B is too weak after the fight to defeat the PCs so doesn't stick around. The PCs would walk into the meeting place and see the carnage and hopefully take away the following:
1. Group A was not honest with them (it looked like group A was interrupted in planning an ambush)
2. Other unfriendly groups want the sword as well

The remaining members of group B could switch to the indirect method of framing them for selling the blade as their "strike team" is too weak to take on the PCs directly at the moment.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

Yithian
2007-07-09, 01:50 PM
I like those ideas, and will probably use them. In particular, I am intrigued by the idea of the off screen actions - we have never tried anything of the sort, and I'm curious how the PC's will react to it.

I had been planning to use the sword to tip the players off that there is someone who sent Lucan, probably a vamp. lord. The players would then have the option of investigating the Sharn underworld to find that individual. I will also give them evidence of things happening behind their backs. That should make for some interesting experiences.

Thank you, and are there any other suggestions?

Yithian

SoulCatcher78
2007-07-09, 02:22 PM
Depends on how you're playing Ashrune (my fav from that book so far). Is he mildly depressed or deeply? He could be having an upswing day and decide that the PCs really can help him find his true destiny or at least get him closer. Ashrune might be a powerful weapon but it's true power will be to manipulate the PCs into doing what it wants...from promises of treasure to outright threats. Since it's been around for thousands of years, it's tried almost everything it can think of the destroy itself so it's pretty sure that the PCs can't do it either. While it might not currently be the centerpiece of the plot (as an entity) it can assume that role without difficulty. Sounds like you've got your groups ready to fight to the death (or at least a stalemate) over who controls the key but if it's such common knowledge that Ashrune is the key (common being more than 2 living beings that is), how did it remain hidden for so long[I forgot that it has that look like a crap broken sword power].

Note:
I see Ashrune as stubborn and tempermental, given to fits of melancholy where it won't respond to the PCs for days and then to bursts of happiness (a really bipolar (double edged?) sword if there ever was one). A side effect of this would be to directly affect one of the PCs (pull them aside to inform them?) in the same manner. "I just don't care that we're being attacked since we're all going to die anyway. I'm gonna take a nap." or the swords powers suddenly winking out when it's having a tantrum.

Yithian
2007-07-09, 08:30 PM
Having the sword be very temperamental is a good idea. I had thought to play it as a constantly depressed sword, but your idea of having it vary from day to day makes a lot of sense - I shall definitely use it.

The sword can dominate the PC's easily, but because it is such a railroady power, I was not planning to use it often (maybe once or twice, during dramatically appropriate situations).

Thank you for all the advice that has been given thus far.

Yithian

Matthew
2007-07-10, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a fun Campaign Arc. It seems to me as thought The Church of the Silver Flame should be more actively involved in the plot, though.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-07-10, 04:51 PM
Damn, I've seen Paranoia plots less twisted than that. Are you sure your players will be able to keep everything in order, or will they eventually just throw up their hands and start killing anyone that shows an interest?