PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief help.

Belzyk
2016-09-09, 08:04 PM
I need a little help with this. In a game I am not DM ing I want to play a spellthief. But I am unsure as to what prc to take. I would like to take some levels in assassin I know that much. Any other ideas for prc?

Kelb_Panthera
2016-09-09, 08:18 PM
Obligatory "take matter spellthief" advice. It works well with assassin anyway.

Kaje
2016-09-09, 09:05 PM
Unseen seer?

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 09:37 PM
Well what do you want to do besides sneak attacking? There's a number of interesting PrCs.

Belzyk
2016-09-09, 09:52 PM
Well what do you want to do besides sneak attacking? There's a number of interesting PrCs.

My plan is to be a as the name implies a spell thief. My character is a changeling looking to take as much as they can from magic users. Also I want them to be a mage killer.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 10:31 PM
Occult slayer works for killing casters. Mind over magic is a nice way to deal with spells you can't absorb, and a full bab is never a bad thing. Unfortunately, they only get one good save, and you won't be able to steal spells unless you only take two levels. There's also the spellthief/duskblade option. Steal people's spells, channel them through your sword, and hit them like a train... A magically empowered train.

Belzyk
2016-09-09, 10:48 PM
Occult slayer works for killing casters. Mind over magic is a nice way to deal with spells you can't absorb, and a full bab is never a bad thing. Unfortunately, they only get one good save, and you won't be able to steal spells unless you only take two levels. There's also the spellthief/duskblade option. Steal people's spells, channel them through your sword, and hit them like a train... A magically empowered train.

Thank you I'll have to look into this.

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 10:50 PM
I forgot to clarify spell level. You won't be able to steal 8th or 9th level spells if you take all 5 levels. You're welcome, I hope it helps you.

ben-zayb
2016-09-09, 11:05 PM
Combine it with Wu Jen to have Body Outside Body spell stealers. Technically, a Spellthief 7/ Wu Jen 13 with Master Spellthief can, by cut and dry RAW, steal a BoB clones other BoB spells prepared. Recast the BoB, get a new set of clones to steal from, repeat ad infinitum. Creeping Darkness aids with sneak attacking. A more liberal reading of the feat enables something like Spellthief 7 / Wu Jen 3 / Wu-Jen-progressing PrC 10.

This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=19184664&postcount=94) is a waaay cheesier rendition of the concept.

Feel free to add Maiming Strike to butcher Cha-based casters

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 11:42 PM
Or, combine builds. What level is body outside body, 6th? That's 11/12 levels wu jen. Duskblade gets its premiere trick by 3rd level, and spellthief can do its by the word go. 2 levels occult slayer and you get mind over magic... Once.

ben-zayb
2016-09-09, 11:51 PM
Do note that if you want to actually cast the high level spells that you stole with the help of Master Spellthief feat, you need more actual Spellthief class levels (or Bloodline, which is its own brand of cheese)

Jack_McSnatch
2016-09-09, 11:52 PM
And/Or have rings of spellstoring

Zombimode
2016-09-10, 03:03 AM
Do note that if you want to actually cast the high level spells that you stole with the help of Master Spellthief feat, you need more actual Spellthief class levels (or Bloodline, which is its own brand of cheese)

What's your basis for this interpretation?

The text for the Steal Spell ability imposes no additional condition to cast a stolen spell other than the fact it was stolen.
The text for Master Spellthief does not indicate anything that would support your position either.

Cerefel
2016-09-10, 03:18 AM
What's your basis for this interpretation?

The progression for stealing spells and the progression for storing spells are different things, and master spellthief does nothing to advance the amount of spell levels you can store

Azoth
2016-09-10, 03:43 AM
I can't remember the name of it right now, but I know there is a unique Whip that causes a caster hit with it to lose one of their highest level spells/slots. If you can get a hold of two of them or swap that unique enchant to a better weapon you can tag a caster and cost them two spell slots per hit. Good way to rip away a caster's ability to fight back. At high levels jacking 12 spells from someone with a full TWF attack routine is just plain mean.

Zombimode
2016-09-10, 04:22 AM
The progression for stealing spells and the progression for storing spells are different things

Huh, indeed they are. Well, better learning it now then finding out during play, I guess.

Rebel7284
2016-09-10, 05:04 AM
This is what I would do if I was making an optimized build and if flaws are allowed.

Neutral Evil Human
Spellthief 4/Hit and Run Fighter 1/Ur Priest 3/Arcane Trickster 6/Contemplative 1/Swordsage and/or Assassin 5

You first steal spells from wizards but eventually start stealing spells from the gods themselves!

Feats:
1. Spell Focus Evil
Human: Education
Flaw: Extend Spell
Flaw: Persistent Spell
3. Free
Fighter: Free
6. Alternate Spell Source
9. Divine Metamagic[Persistent Spell]
12. Master Spellthief
15. Free
18. Free

Alternate Spell Source allows you to qualify for Arcane Trickster.