PDA

View Full Version : Factotum psionic adaptation

Soranar
2016-09-09, 09:11 PM
It's briefly mentioned in the factotum description that there could be a psionic version of the class.

Namely you replace the spell like ability with psionic like abilities

my problem with this is the following

In a normal factotum, you get your SLAs at full caster level, and a corresponding ''slot'' for each spell where you eventually get 1 SLA of a level 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 spell at caster level 20

how would you translate that into a psionic factotum?

if I allow a psionic factotum to fully augment a power according to each level, for free, that's quite a lot stronger than getting 1 spell of each level until level 7

it's essentially giving you 140 power points by level 20 (a psychic warrior or a lurk gets 127)

sure the psionic classes have bonus power points but I would assume the factotum would get access to the psion/wilder power list

now compare the following

summon monster 1 vs astral construct fully augmented
orb of fire vs crystal shard fully augmented
and other goodies like temporal acceleration
nevermind that psionic also has the equivalent to polymorph in metamorphosis

combine all of that + the ability to ignore the SR of a creature and I think one of the best psionic classes is a factotum (easily tier 2 in my opinion)

So, basically, I'm looking for thoughts on the subject. Would you nerf a psionic factotum? just allow it as I described? It doesn't seem as broken as an arcane swordsage but it's still pretty strong.

Name1
2016-09-09, 09:21 PM
A fully augmented Astral Construct is equivalent to a Summon Monster IX. You should obviously NOT do that. I believe the right way to do that would be to give every choosen power a budget of Level*2 - 1 to augment that power with. This of course means that it's blasting-abilities are greatly weakened, but then again, the Factotum class was blatantly designed to be used with magic, so yeah, this would simply be my suggestion.

Thaneus
2016-09-10, 02:04 AM
Why exactly is this an issue?
Factotum can select any Spell from the spell list of sorc/wiz and when he is level 20 he will not use SM I. The spell list has already enough options far more then psionic has, even when you would give him all psionic powers available from any class.

You can use the Power 1 time a day fully augenmentet with ML=CL Factotum. Thats it.
If you use it for a blast, its just gone on hopfully killed one enemy, but most likly did not.

Only knack i see is with the powerhorses of psionic powers, but these have no augmentation issue (metamophosis, when saying only non descipil powers its gone anyway; and psychic reformation)

But as I said a Psion would have these anyway, augmente way past his ML because he has options to increase it.

Same as a Sorc has way more options to increase CL.

Factotum is a delitant in this aspect and this is presented even like this without some formula which is unneeded.

AnachroNinja
2016-09-10, 10:49 AM
Yeah I have a hard time seeing a real issue here either. A factotem being able to use an augmented astral construct once a day is not really a game breaker. Especially since he's unlikely to have the feats to get extra abilities for it or anything else. It's not even on the same page as planar binding. Same with metamorphosis, once a day he can be polymorphed for a fight and it's only really useful if he blows a feat on metamorphic transfer. I'm not really sure why crystal shard is so better then orb of fire in your comparison though. They both ignore SR, same damage or thereabouts, and orb of fire has a nice rider effect.

None of these powers are going to throw factotem into tier 2, high tier 3 maybe, but even so, is that really a bad thing? The automatic augmentation is really just removing the hurdle that psions get saddled with for no reason anyway, especially since a psionic factotem doesn't even have the sheer Nova capacity of a psionic.

I guess I'm just saying I don't think it would be an issue.